Herald shield 5

Virdo.1540

We know, shield 5 is pretty bad compared to anything else. Thats why nobody really plays with a Shield as herald. (Shield 4 even more bad, but that poll shouldnt be about that.)

So i thought about 2 different options to make the Shield 5 Skill a bit better/ more fun to play.

1. The Energy costs gets 5 more, but for that it will have the Pulsating healing hit 10 Allies in an 480 Radius. Together with a resistance to "block ignoring stuns", so it wont get canceled.(may be an bug but idk)
  2. Or leave it like it is , just lowering the energy costs. 20 Energy for that skill is way out of the place.

I think this needs a full rework. As a Herald skill, it completely lacks any form of group support while also beeing mostly inneffective on yourself.

-The skill roots you in place.-It can be sadly easily interrupted despise it beeing a block with all the unblockable attacks today. (Yep, even in open world PVE, it's possible to get interrupted)-The base healing value is absurd.

If it's gonna stay an immobile skill:-Increase healing, make it AOE-Add Projectile reflection-Add a 2 seconds Stability

If it can be mobile:-Still Increase Healing, make it AOE-Add 4 seconds of AOE pulsing Resistance (only boon Herald don't pulse with their spec, not speaking about malyx)

Only suggestions, feel free to agree/disagree.

I don't think either of those ideas works for the skill. The first option would make it better for group support but the skill is supposed to be more of a "selfish" defensive option. Envoy of Exuberance is already a support skill for the shield. As for the second option, just lowering the energy is certainly better than nothing, but I think the skill needs more love than that. I'd suggest this:

1. Reduce energy cost to 15 (possibly lower than this, but 15 is a start)
  2. Grant self 1 second of regeneration on every pulse
  3. Grant self 1 second of stability on every pulse
  4. Grant self 1 second of infuse light on every pulse
  5. Remove block and healing.

With these changes, the skill making the user immobile would be more viable. Stability application might need to be stronger to accommodate for the lost blocking, but hopefully the general idea here comes through.

For some reasons herald shield reminds me of old guardian shield. Skill 5 was a channel that made you immobile, if you end before full cast it healed allies. Shield 4 was just a simple protection in a tight cone in-front. Rev shield needs the same treatment.Also all game modes are so fluid that a skill that which roots you must be big mighty worth it.

I don't think ether of those options would help really... :anguished:

The only scenarios I could really see that would make shield usable would be like:

• Getting rid of the root could make it somewhat okay for running away in WvW zergs (still pretty bad tho due to the sheer amount of unblockable attacks.)
  • Change it from a block into a straight invulnerability or endure pain type of skill (but leave the root/channel)--or if you wanted to make it even stronger, make it a channeled/rooted Infused Light. These would at least make it a pretty strong for dueling and sPvP node control.
  • Buff shield 4 with some useful boons (stab/aegis/maybe even alacrity) and increase the healing power scaling and it could make it a tempting skill for support heralds--although support herald would need a lot more tweaking to make it a popular choice compared to the strength of renegade.

I dunno.

Now in my monkey brain I think that shield is kind of ok but feels more like a beta version of what an elite specialization shield weapon could offer. I came up with a few big changes that I feel mirrors what a shield in the hands of a revenant should do, while fitting the theme of Glint.

• Shield 4 - Like most others have suggested before, a cone area in front of you would be a great addition to this skill. But a buff to this skill is sorely needed. My suggestion, change the skill so the character holds the shield in front while it sprays a "healing flame". I want this skill to heal allies (up to 5) and "burn" away conditions (2 pulses, 1 condi clear each pulse). Naturally the healing power scale would be buffed too, and giving it longer lasting protection would be nice.

• Shield 5 - For this one, I hear a lot of suggestions to simply remove the root to make this skill worth. My argument is that for what this skill is going for, the whole hibernation thing, a root makes complete sense. That said, this skill is lacking not only because of root, but because it's selfish. My suggestion, change this skill entirely to have the player leap to a target location (600 range maybe) and create a crystalline field (light field, 360 radius) that pulses aegis and healing for 3 seconds. Leap finisher and light field helps with creating more combo options, and aegis pulse I think should help with constant attacks.

I don't know if this will make shield insanely powerful, but I think it's the right direction that it should move in. Plus, damn this weapon could be sooo much cooler, all we have now are mist farts and an oh-crap hermit button

@"GeneralBM.5781" said:Now in my monkey brain I think that shield is kind of ok but feels more like a beta version of what an elite specialization shield weapon could offer. I came up with a few big changes that I feel mirrors what a shield in the hands of a revenant should do, while fitting the theme of Glint.

• Shield 4 - Like most others have suggested before, a cone area in front of you would be a great addition to this skill. But a buff to this skill is sorely needed. My suggestion, change the skill so the character holds the shield in front while it sprays a "healing flame". I want this skill to heal allies (up to 5) and "burn" away conditions (2 pulses, 1 condi clear each pulse). Naturally the healing power scale would be buffed too, and giving it longer lasting protection would be nice.

• Shield 5 - For this one, I hear a lot of suggestions to simply remove the root to make this skill worth. My argument is that for what this skill is going for, the whole hibernation thing, a root makes complete sense. That said, this skill is lacking not only because of root, but because it's selfish. My suggestion, change this skill entirely to have the player leap to a target location (600 range maybe) and create a crystalline field (light field, 360 radius) that pulses aegis and healing for 3 seconds. Leap finisher and light field helps with creating more combo options, and aegis pulse I think should help with constant attacks.

I don't know if this will make shield insanely powerful, but I think it's the right direction that it should move in. Plus, kitten this weapon could be sooo much cooler, all we have now are mist farts and an oh-kitten hermit button

These are great suggestions.

@"Pterikdactyl.7630" said:Shield has a lot of cool potential and I would be happy to see it become more of a viable support weapon. Shield healing > healing orb memes.

I swear people actively avoid those things.

I just think it's weird how shield never got the whole "oh crap perma boons?!" treatment that the rest of the elite got when it came out. That was a big draw for many and made the class instantly unique to its own.

@GeneralBM.5781 said:

@"Pterikdactyl.7630" said:Shield has a lot of cool potential and I would be happy to see it become more of a viable support weapon. Shield healing > healing orb memes.

I swear people actively avoid those things.

I just think it's weird how shield never got the whole "oh kitten perma boons?!" treatment that the rest of the elite got when it came out. That was a big draw for many and made the class instantly unique to its own.

Shield was actually super strong when it first came out, and remained the meta pick for sPvP (axe was the acceptable variant, but oh sword made your team quit b4 the match even started) all the way until PoF came out and power crept it into the ground. It healed a huge amount for having a zero-stat investment in healing power (later nerfed), and the long block didn't prevent capture point contribution. The only people who could even get you out of it were other revs, meditrapper DH's, a power zerker popping signet, or a reaper suicidal enough to get in close enough range to wh4 you.

But then PoF gave almost every class free unblockable spikes and pushed their burst potential to 11, so gg shield. Can't sit on a point prolonging a decap, or rely on this to save you from focus in a team fight if block has no value.

@narcx.3570 said:

Shield was actually super strong when it first came out, and remained the meta pick for sPvP (axe was the acceptable variant, but oh sword made your team quit b4 the match even started) all the way until PoF came out and power crept it into the ground. It healed a huge amount for having a zero-stat investment in healing power (later nerfed), and the long block didn't prevent capture point contribution. The only people who could even get you out of it were other revs, meditrapper DH's, a power zerker popping signet, or a reaper suicidal enough to get in close enough range to wh4 you.

But then PoF gave almost every class free unblockable spikes and pushed their burst potential to 11, so gg shield. Can't sit on a point prolonging a decap, or rely on this to save you from focus in a team fight if block has no value.

Which is honestly why there should be an across the board normalization of the all that power, heal, even bunker creep before any changes to things like shield would be in any way beneficial. As much as we can suggest cool and well-thought out ideas for how shield could be updated, if any of that happens before some sort of normalization, we just get another oh sword situation. And so the cycle continues....

@GeneralBM.5781 said:

@"narcx.3570" said:

Which is honestly why there should be an across the board normalization of the all that power, heal, even bunker creep before any changes to things like shield would be in any way beneficial. As much as we can suggest cool and well-thought out ideas for how shield could be updated, if any of that happens before some sort of normalization, we just get another oh sword situation. And so the cycle continues....

Couldn't agree more... I'd say that on the whole, weapon-based-blocks (with their relatively long cool downs) are pretty useless outside of dueling in the current state of the game for any class that doesn't already have a crazy amount of passive defense... The only workable bunker specs mostly revolve around constant aegis or barrier application, and any weapon provided defense is just icing on top of that. Like how scrapper's hammer block is strong because of the already existing insane barrier spam and elixer-s, and the same with a FB using focus or shield on top of all their aegis/heals, etc, etc.

This is like a fundamental thing Rev lacks, not just a "l0lz, shields bad... plz fix!"

• 4 weeks later...

If anet is still keeping the root part, shield 5 also needs to become large as a bubble instead of keeping it nifty blocks to itself. Also if there's another changes i'd add is: if they do received to any additional damage absorbs threshold after it channeled, either convert the damage taken after the thresholds back into energy or / and reduces the cooldown for shield skills for certain amount of seconds.