Why doesn't GW2 have the option of 1x1 duels??

2 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

I'm not saying there needs to be ... I'm saying there isn't and since there isn't, what other justification would be used to add 1v1 to OW PVE if you consider that OW PVE is their to support the story of the game?

Then uh, give me a lore reason for all the gawdy infusions, flashy skins, and other such things.  Also, haven't there been in story r elated reasons for Destiny's Edge and other lore related factions to fight amongst themselves?  Sheesh, you're being obtuse here.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nosleepdemon.1368 said:

You should be able to, I believe the real reason is actually a technical one if I recall. People claiming to feel "dread" at the mere thought of someone possibly wanting to duel them... Well, they have issues no MMO is going to help sort out and should probably not be listened to. I know I know, how insensitive of me. But honestly, when all it takes to get you bothered is a player approaching you in a game perhaps it's not "toxicity" but your own narcissism causing the problem?

Ah, the technical reason. That totally explains why you cant 1v1.

Now, excuse me while I go 1v1 in PvE (GH), WvW (open, bastion, EoTM) or sPvP (open, lobby, custom).

Could the real reason be... it already exist and nobody except a tiny fraction want it in open PvE?

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Now, excuse me while I go 1v1 in PvE (GH), WvW (open, bastion, EoTM) or sPvP (open, lobby, custom).

Could the real reason be... it already exist and nobody except a tiny fraction want it in open PvE?

Yes, technical reasons.  You go to a guild hall to partake in that PvP, but it still uses PvE balance.  If it were more wide-spread, ANet would be implored to balance the game around  PvP encounters rather than just leaving them split as-is.   Your guild hall example is the exception, not the rule.

1 hour ago, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

Yes, technical reasons.  You go to a guild hall to partake in that PvP, but it still uses PvE balance.  If it were more wide-spread, ANet would be implored to balance the game around  PvP encounters rather than just leaving them split as-is.   Your guild hall example is the exception, not the rule.

17 hours ago, Naxian.9823 said:

Of the very few players that we are asking for duels, fewer are asking for balance. Dueling in open world is not about balance. Is  just a easy and quick way of having some fun. If you want that type of hardcore dueling, you can go to the options the game already offers.

15 minutes ago, Naxian.9823 said:
2 hours ago, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

17 hours ago, Naxian.9823 said:

Of the very few players that we are asking for duels, fewer are asking for balance. Dueling in open world is not about balance. Is  just a easy and quick way of having some fun. If you want that type of hardcore dueling, you can go to the options the game already offers.

Yep and I'm saying ANet won't acknowledge it because it'd be a nightmare to fit around PvE balance.  Looking at games that do have this option available, they all have PvP balance at the forefront over PvE balance.  And you cannot ever convince me that a majority of players who would use this feature wouldn't also complain about how x build is too strong.  They already do that in PvP & WvW as is.

I'm not a fan of PVP in all honesty but there are parts of the game where 1v1's are possible.
But generally I do agree that a PvE dueling system would be a fun thing to have in Gw2 even if I personally wouldn't use it or would use it rarely on a whim at most.

In WvW there are plenty of players who setup dueling spots but i've always found this very messy as other players getting involved is a constant headache for it

The Guildhall Arena can also be used for dueling but has the drawback of being limited to only guildmates  so that's not really ideal either.

There is also a small and probably often forgotten about arena in the PvE game too where you can actually duel other players in your party as much as you like.
This little arena is located in the Suns Refuge home instance that players can unlock and upgrade during living world 4.

I don't agree with those talking about balance issues though, personally I would treat a PvE dueling as a non serious feature, like Costume Brawl is so it would not impact balance at all.
Not something intended to be a big serious PvP element of the game, that's exactly what PvP and WvW are for in the first place.
PvE dueling would be just a bit of silly, harmless fun, with good RP potential for those who enjoy that kind of thing.

Edited by Teratus.2859
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

But that mean WvW and sPvP is the rule for 1v1?

7 hours ago, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

Then uh, give me a lore reason for all the gawdy infusions, flashy skins, and other such things.  Also, haven't there been in story r elated reasons for Destiny's Edge and other lore related factions to fight amongst themselves?  

RIGHT! So why do you think we don't have 1v1 duels in OW considering OW is the stage for the story Anet creates for players? Probably the fact that there isn't a story/lore reason to do so! 

Again, there are LOTS of hints this will not happen and the story simply doesn't support it.

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

It has to do with different rule sets for different maps, and it being difficult to allow one map to have many sets of rules. I will see if I can find the post I am recollecting.

No need. Thats not the technical reason. There is no technical reason. You can technically have 1v1 anywhere - that PvE maps have PvE balancing is just stupid design on Anets part, but that would technically still work fine for PvP albeit with kitten balancing. 

Whats the technical reason people cant use the already existing PvE, WvW and sPvP 1v1 options instead of wanting even more 1v1 in PvE that 99.99% of the community doesnt seem to want? That would be the more interesting question.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Kurrilino.2706 said:

The point is that the PvE player hate even the slightest glimpse of PvP in their mode.

So no, in that case things won't change

The internet is just a teenager and online games are still just kids. But one day I think this comment will perfectly well be accused of a crime of xenophobia, or racism, or homophobia, etc... even though it is a 100% comment about a virtual community.
I read your comment pretty much like this:

"God (Anet) made the world, man and woman to be together (PVE) and I (a PVE player) don't want to see two gay men (two PVPers) kissing on my street (doing PVP on my PVE)".

p.s: Sorry for the words, just forgive me. I'm not accusing you of anything. After all we are still not living this future that strange things in real life... can also be strange things in a video game.

Edited by hatozeni.5721
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, hatozeni.5721 said:

The internet is just a teenager and online games are still just kids. But one day I think this comment will perfectly well be accused of a crime of xenophobia, or racism, or homophobia, etc... even though it is a 100% comment about a virtual community.
I read your comment pretty much like this:

"God (Anet) made the world, man and woman to be together (PVE) and I (a PVE player) don't want to see two gay men (two PVPers) kissing on my street (doing PVP on my PVE)".

p.s: Sorry for the words, just forgive me. I'm not accusing you of anything. After all we are still not living this future that strange things in real life... can also be strange things in a video game.

What in God's name is all of that supposed to mean?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

RIGHT! So why do you think we don't have 1v1 duels in OW considering OW is the stage for the story Anet creates for players? Probably the fact that there isn't a story/lore reason to do so! 

Again, there are LOTS of hints this will not happen and the story simply doesn't support it.

The story will support it when the corresponding story is implemented. You are basically saying that there should not be a story reason because there is no story reason now (Wich is wrong, because there is a reason in the game RIGHT NOW, as pointed out several times by now.)

Thats one of those non-arguments I talked about earlier.

Edited by Imba.9451

4 minutes ago, Imba.9451 said:

The story will support it when the corresponding story is implemented. You are basically saying that there should not be a story reason because there is no story reason now.

Thats one of those non-arguments I talked about earlier.

Right ... the same logic that justifies adding things to the game that require a string of other things to be added to justify it. 👍

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 2

Just now, Obtena.7952 said:

Right ... the same logic that justifies added things to the game that require a string of other things to be added to justify it. 

Nope. The logic is, that GW2 is a live service, wich is evolving. Was there a reason for Balthazar to appear in the story? Not until Anet wrote in a reason.

I really dunno why this does even have to be pointed out. It's just common sense.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Imba.9451 said:

Nope. The logic is, that GW2 is a live service, wich is evolving. Was there a reason for Balthazar to appear in the story? Not until Anet wrote in a reason.

I really dunno why this does even have to be pointed out. It's just common sense.

Yea and it is quite sad that people ignore when a dev say that due to technical reasons that make it hard to implement.

Due to that and alot more higher on the list programing tasks they dont see themself being able to work on said feature for the foreseeable future if at all.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, nosleepdemon.1368 said:

You should be able to, I believe the real reason is actually a technical one if I recall. People claiming to feel "dread" at the mere thought of someone possibly wanting to duel them... Well, they have issues no MMO is going to help sort out and should probably not be listened to.

Wrong. The MMO that helps here is called Guild Wars 2. Maybe you should check it out. It's pretty good and has addressed this problem for like 9 years.

I know I know, how insensitive of me. But honestly, when all it takes to get you bothered is a player approaching you in a game perhaps it's not "toxicity" but your own narcissism causing the problem?

Real narcissism is when a game already offers multiple ways to find duels yet people are too lazy to put that tiny bit of effort or, God Forbid, social skills (in an MMO nonetheless) to get what they want and want further catering to their niche interests.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

No need. Thats not the technical reason. There is no technical reason. You can technically have 1v1 anywhere - that PvE maps have PvE balancing is just stupid design on Anets part, but that would technically still work fine for PvP albeit with kitten balancing. 

Whats the technical reason people cant use the already existing PvE, WvW and sPvP 1v1 options instead of wanting even more 1v1 in PvE that 99.99% of the community doesnt seem to want? That would be the more interesting question.

Not just me that recalls it, have a look here:

Summary is that map factions are structured such that flagging players as hostile purely to one another (1 on 1) is technically non-trivial. I also recall a dev posting about this a time ago back when these sorts of features still had the possibility of being developed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 9/2/2021 at 2:56 PM, shrew.3059 said:

A fighting pit (or multiple fighting pits scattered throughout the world) would be great and would probably get around a lot of the objections in this thread.

I’m not a PvP player so I might easily be missing something.

How is traveling to a map that has a fighting pit (presumably it’s instanced so it can have the PvP skill set) and going through the portal into the instance to duel different than going to PvP and going into an empty arena to duel? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Eh? Lots of things are added without story support.  ANet could just make up any old excuse and it'd function.  Just look at the current story.  Or build templates.  Or UI restructuring.  Or literally any QoL feature added to the game.

1 hour ago, nosleepdemon.1368 said:

Not just me that recalls it, have a look here:

Summary is that map factions are structured such that flagging players as hostile purely to one another (1 on 1) is technically non-trivial. I also recall a dev posting about this a time ago back when these sorts of features still had the possibility of being developed.

They'd have to figure out a way to add in a unique  flag that makes you hostile towards other players but not all of them and only the specific one that's dueling you and not also the other people that are dueling near you.  This is why the  Guild Hall arena works because it adjusts your faction flag when going through the portal.  It's also how PvP and WvW work as they set your faction upon map load.

Edited by Sir Alymer.3406
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

Eh? Lots of things are added without story support.  ANet could just make up any old excuse and it'd function.  Just look at the current story.  Or build templates.  Or UI restructuring.  Or literally any QoL feature added to the game.

Sure they can make up what ever they want. That's not the question here. The question is if it makes sense to do so. People have presented LOTS of reasons in this (and other) threads for why it doesn't. On the other hand, the only reason presented for it is simply because "I want it". 

The bottomline here is this: There isn't much value to players to implement this. Certainly from a story perspective, that value is non-existent to low. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Sure they can make up what ever they want. That's not the question here. The question is if it makes sense to do so. People have presented LOTS of reasons in this (and other) threads for why it doesn't. On the other hand, the only reason presented for it is simply because "I want it". 

The bottomline here is this: There isn't much value to players to implement this. Certainly from a story perspective, that value is non-existent to low. 

Lore justifications have never been necessary for new systems to be implemented.  End of discussion.

There are heart tasks where you fight allied NPCs either to train them or to get t hem out of there.

There are points in the story where the commander fights allies too.

There's no logical in-world reason why 1v1 duels shouldn't exist.

There's tons of technical reasons as to why they won't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

Lore justifications have never been necessary for new systems to be implemented.  End of discussion.

OK, but what makes you think 1v1 duels is a 'system'? or that even if it's not needed, being related to the place it's being implemented is still something that makes sense to do? To be frank, that's a pretty contrived and vague concept you are using to dismiss the point here. 

It's a pretty academic argument anyways, but people have made their points, they are relevant and even though Anet can invent some reason to implement this relevant to the story, it's going to be pretty forced. And to be fair, there is LOTS of 'systems' that Anet have implemented and did tie in with the story, even though they didn't actually need to, so the 'need' or not doesn't seem to relevant here. I believe that based on other examples, whether it's needed or not, Anet will want to find a way to do that tie in. Considering that the OW is ALL about PVE, if there is a tie in for 1v1 duels in OW, will most likely BE about the story related to the PVE themes and plotlines. 

Honestly, I see how it's easy to dismiss the lack of a PVE tie in as a point for 1v1 duels because it is a pretty abstract point, but it's as relevant as any other content Anet has added to OW/PVE. 

Edited by Obtena.7952