DX11 Crash Issue

@Fire Attunement.9835 I just wanted to add that since the fixes to the initial patch, playing in dx9 is really slow now. I never turned on dx11, not risking anything and expecting dx9 to be the same as before, but it's not. Something is making dx9 feel like moving through treacle.

I mean I can even see the UI drawing when a window opens, whereas before it just popped up on the screen. Loading the character screen takes 15-20 seconds. Before the patch it took about 2 seconds. Turning around with your char anywhere makes the camera stutter like the game thinks I've downgraded my rig to a 486. Everything just takes about 5-10x longer. Moving items into the bank.

Should dx9 players really be affected by the dx11 beta even without touching it, or is it something with the beta classes affecting performance this way?

Edited by darksome.1697
  • Like 2

It should be clear by now that one of the hotfixes following the actual beta patch is causing this. As it stands the DX11 beta option should better be disabled or rather not be used. And DX9 performance is terrible Epic Fail! 

Let's see ...

... nope. Client still crashes/hangs after a few minutes. The issue happens so frequently that it should be easily reproducable in a devlopment environment, too.

Edited by xlion.3065

Every time I am fighting Spirit Guardian in Spirit Vale, and sometimes just standing at the edge of his platform, with or without DX11 enabled the game client has been crashing. I play in windowed full screen. I am reinstalling the game just in case there is an issue on that end.

I have done multiple other raids since the beta and only dced on Sabetha once due to DX11 (my graphics started showing things as "red" instead of their normal colors, such as the ascended raid food just before that crash, which didn't happen tonight). I had turned DX11 off before starting the raid tonight as it is my guild group (which I run). Turned it back on to see if a patch had caused an opposite issue for me. I did lat longer with DX11 on ironically.

Good day! Yesterday, during the passage of a photo (96) with the Direct X11 function enabled, in the middle of the dungeon we encountered a problem, the interface disappeared. It was impossible even to disable or exit the game. I had to knock it out of the task manager. Until the option was disabled, it was not possible to go through. The problem was with me and my guildmate

Hey Anet, I am not gonna discuss the fact that after 3 days of dx11 beta you still cant fix the crashes, so I will just get into the point. The game crashes when I swap legends on reve and when I pop reaper shroud and using the reaper shroud skills. I happens first in WvW and then it continues even in Open World. Now how do you want us to try your Beta and WvW alliances when we have so many problems?  I just want to say that Ive already pre-purchased  EoD and I expect more than that as a customer point... Please fix those issues so we can play at peace, thank you! 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Luna Ataegina.3289 said:

So, when does this little dx11 beta experiment end?

It doesn't, or so someone posting on one of these threads claimed. You can either switch back for DX9 for the time being or continue on with the beta until the final release version.

I hope the many current issues will be addressed soon, because otherwise the majority of people will opt out of the beta again.

I wouldn't even know where to start with the hundreds of texture bugs and occasional crashes. Looks like a Sisyphean task to me at this point. E.g., what on Earth could cause weapon textures to be displayed in tiles on the ground and on walls? Such weird bugs, it is not just textures disappearing, it is textures being altered to other existing patterns by the render.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Thanks 1

I also seem to be crashing in reaper shroud. Can't perfectly replicate the issue, sometimes the crash happens almost instantly after entering shroud, other times I can go in and out of shroud a few times and stay in shroud for a while before the crash happens.

I've had some crashes also in player hubs without shroud, just running around looking at other playerrs. So I can't 100% confirm the connection.

20 hours ago, xlion.3065 said:

doesn't have access to the game's source code

Which was what I was referring to. Translation layer can bring performance benefits, but it cannot help the game itself take benefit of the newer graphics API features.

they liked us to believe that DX9 wasn't a/the performance bottleneck for many years

Source? I haven't seen them ever say there was no bottleneck.

So we should expect even more performance improvements when the game **natively** uses DX11 instead of DX9 as the backend

Main purpose is to get rid of render thread bottlenecks. Game may never perform better in native DirectX 11 than with d912pxy, but it's necessary to be rid of DirectX 9 limitations.

What I'n not happy with is the current stability or rather the decision to include DX11 code in the beta while it obviously wasn't ready.

This is a beta test for a reason. Instability and other issues are to be expected. If that doesn't suit you, do not opt in.

When is it supposed to be "ready"?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Hell Nirvana.9045 said:

(A) Source? I haven't seen them ever say there was no bottleneck.

(B) When is it supposed to be "ready"?

(A)   It took many years for the developers to admit that not only the main thread but also DX9 was a bottleneck.

(B) When your code crashes/hangs every few minutes, you should not bother users with testing it. Not even your internal Testers/QA. I know that a lot of developers have this "Successfully built and didn't crash after 10 seconds -> ready to be tested by someone else" attitude, but this is just lazy.

Edited by xlion.3065
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Having frequent crashes, especially when entering Reaper Shroud. 3 out of 4 times it just crashed my game immediately. The video stops completely, but I can still hear ingame music (and only ingame music) for a few seconds until it fades. I have to shut the game down.

Something that also happens is that if I keep the game idle in Character Select screen, it doesn't block my PC from entering energy saving mode and shutting the video down. The video remains frozen until I alt+tab to something or press the Windows key.

Running the game on an Acer Aspire VX15, Fullscreen. Graphics card is Geforce 1050. 

38 minutes ago, xlion.3065 said:

(A)   It took many years for the developers to admit that not only the main thread but also DX9 was a bottleneck.

(B) When your code crashes/hangs every few minutes, you should not bother users with testing it. Not even your internal Testers/QA. I know that a lot of developers have this "Successfully built and didn't crash after 10 seconds -> ready to be tested by someone else" attitude, but this is just lazy.

Johan wasn't lying; he was just wrong.

But what is still true is that switching graphics API isn't a magic bullet. I gain far more performance from things like hiding the UI (25% more frames per second!!!). I'd like Anet to look at the rendering of CoherentUI as well.

Sorry to hear if your system setup has crashes every 10 seconds. But don't opt-in if that's the case, and report your findings. "Epic Fail!" helps nothing but your ego.

I experience a freeze every now and then. Mostly in Mistlock Sanctuary.

When more and more people report issues in specific locations, Anet can go there with proper debug tools to check what could be happening.

Edit: I forgot to mention about d912pxy source code. If you'll read the Licenses, you'll notice that it's utilising other projects. It's not made from scratch. But comparison between it and game source code is comparing apples to oranges.

Edited by Hell Nirvana.9045

2 hours ago, Hell Nirvana.9045 said:

Sorry to hear if your system setup has crashes every 10 seconds. But don't opt-in if that's the case, and report your findings. "Epic Fail!" helps nothing but your ego.

I experience a freeze every now and then. Mostly in Mistlock Sanctuary.

When more and more people report issues in specific locations, Anet can go there with proper debug tools to check what could be happening.

I did not say that my client hangs/crashes every10 seocnds. It's more in the range of every few minutes, depending on what I'm doing. Interestingly this started **after** they applied a followup client fix. At first I could play with DX11 enabled for more than 2 hours without any problems and I was actually very happy to see how much smoother things were.

And here exactly is where I'm unhappy. While the original patch was probably quite thoroughly tested the hotfix was obviously not. It simply can't given how fast it went out. Pushing out a quick fix, because you think you know what it affects, and hence bypassing throrough testing is what I indeed call an "Epic Fail!"

Of course I have meanwhile disabled DX11 on my client while I'm waiting/hoping for a proper fix. As I said, the performance I could experience for 2 hours was pretty good and I'm looking forward to permanently enjoying it in game.

Edited by xlion.3065

On 9/21/2021 at 10:38 PM, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

Thanks everyone for continuing to update this thread! I heard back from someone on the team who is investigating various crashes and have added this information to the original post:

Update: If you do not meet the circumstances I outlined above and you are still crashing while the DX11 beta is enabled, please disable any UI overlays from third party programs, including things like Discord. As always, please be aware that the game may not launch or work properly after we release a new build if you use a third-party program (independent of the DX11 beta), due to possible incompatibilities.

I still can't open the game launcher I hope this error doesn't take too long to fix.

Crashed multiple times in Mistlock sanctuary:

- Buying some crafting materials from a vendor, opened a crafting station, opended the bank tab - crash

- switching characters, used a crafting station, opened the bank tab - crash

- using teh virthday cake canon - crash

Edited by JotGeh.8047

1 hour ago, JotGeh.8047 said:

Crashed multiple times in Mistlock sanctuary:

- Buying some crafting materials from a vendor, opened a crafting station, opended the bank tab - crash

- switching characters, used a crafting station, opened the bank tab - crash

- using teh virthday cake canon - crash

That was me two days ago using the dx11 beta. I couldn't even craft that day, they were so instantaneous.

Even after the patch yesterday, I am still experiencing crashes with dx11.  I took off the beta, restarted the game and no more crashes. It's a shame, because I did see a lot of performance improvements with dx11 enabled that first day - almost no freezing and I was able to actually avoid Teq's attacks due to no lagging.  I'm not sure how any of the other metas performed because they crashed.  I was even able to tab over to my PC settings without the game having a seizure.

Due to all the crashing, the dx11 is basically unplayable for me in its current state.