PoF areas: Impossible to rest for one second...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree. The more things change the more they stay the same. People had the very SAME issue with Orr on vanilla release, yet ANET continues to fill every area with trash mobs where u can hardly get a seconds peace to check your surroundings. Not only this, but the aggro range on POF mobs is hideous and they chase you forever.

Why do they repeatedly do this? It isn't fun, nor challenging, it's just really, really annoying. Just because its an end game area, does not mean you should have to go every few feet being shot, attacked, snared or knocked down.

PLEASE STOP IT!

@Haishao.6851 said:

@RandomWolf.3986 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:I think those getting hit by enemies that they can't see need a better computer :)

Because everyone can afford a new gaming computer on the fly.

That's not a problem with the game.You cannot blame the game because you have a bad computer.

The whole claim that it was an issue with the computer, when there are indeed quite a few unexpected spawns (or areas that were recently cleared but suffer from quick respawns), is plain ridiculous.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Haishao.6851 said:

@RandomWolf.3986 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:I think those getting hit by enemies that they can't see need a better computer :)

Because everyone can afford a new gaming computer on the fly.

That's not a problem with the game.You cannot blame the game because you have a bad computer.

The whole claim that it was an issue with the computer, when there are indeed quite a few unexpected spawns (or areas that were recently cleared but suffer from quick respawns), is plain ridiculous.

maddoctor was talking about people getting hit by enemies they cannot see. So they're probably getting hits by things not yet rendered, or they just don't pay attentions. The later is probably more likely though.They probably walked on anti mount trap and think an enemy they didn't see kicked them off.

Unexpected spawn are fine. Things don't respawn faster than in core or HoT. There are more patrols, so sometime a patrol walks into you while you're already fighting and could maybe look like faster respawn.

@Noa.7490 said:PoF has very beautiful sceneries but you can never enjoy them because every square inch is squatted by something that absolutely, definitely, positively wants to kill you.

I don't find that to be true though. The mob DENSITY can be rough on certain types of mob (particularly the forged) but for the most part the mobs are actually fairly spread out from one another. HOWEVER: what I find the actual problem is is not mob spacing, but rather that a lot of the mobs have a very large area that they patrol, and also a very large agro radius, which ends with a result that wherever you sit eventually you will be attacked... and since some of the mobs move pretty quickly, eventually is usually sooner rather than later.

I have my suspicions that the agro radius has something to do with the mounts... as though they made mob agro more sensitive because the old agro AI had difficulty handling agroing on to people moving at the speeds mounts allow you to (Old movespeed was capped at 400 ups, but even the slowest mount moves faster than this). As someone above pointed out, most mobs in core ignore you if you raptor on by, but no mobs in PoF really do.

I'm lovin' it.

Then again, I'm such a wow player that I judge all other MMOs in comparison to it.

Legion is not a difficult expansion even in the slightest until you get to mythic instanced content.

Gw2's two expansion difficulty is juuuuuuuuust right.

I feel like I'm in an actual wild and dangerous foreign land.

You can taste the psychological terror in Maguuma and the political oppression of Elona, as well as the deep sense that it is a truly ramshackle country falling apart at the seams under the yolk of a perverse necromantic dictator.

The shaders add to the visual effects greatly as well.

Then again, I feel as though I am in the largest minority that pays attention to and appreciates these kinds of things.

The pain of being an artist and musician.

@ OP

I think you just need to pick your AFK spots a better. It takes a bit of practice and a little hard luck (as well as assuming nobody will run by with a pack of mobs on their tail), but there are pleanty of gaps between patrolling guards or events. If in doubt, logging out to character select is often a good way of avoiding patrols or haphazard players.

If I afk just a short moment in a area I'm unsure about patrols I usually use the springer/griffon to jump up on top of random trees, structures or other absurd high places, otherwise I wp to a hub and/or go to character select. But have never had any issues about it; it is easy enough to get back where you were in case of random death.

@flog.3485 said:

@Offair.2563 said:Been roaming around these maps for weeks now and still haven't experienced being in combat for 24/7 and chased down the whole map by mobs. Are you guys using your mounts to your advantage, like jumping over mountains to reach other spots?

Not only that. I mean, some complain they can't go afk for some period of time in PoF maps....But how is it possible to justify the time playing a game if you need to to go afk frequently in the fist place?

Some ppl can't pay 100% of their attention to a game because they have kids, pets, family, etc..

I'm boggled by this thread...I have yet to be unable to find a safe spot to rest in PoF, granted it might take a minute or two(maybe even 3), but eventually I can find somewhere that I can take time to look at the map, check inventory, etc., and if a mob does happen to aggro or spawn(also very rare if you pay attention) then I can wait a few seconds while killing it. As for hopping on a ledge or rock and having mobs above and below you aggro...that isn't a problem if you stay on the mount(which you should by all means) and if there isn't a ranged attacker that can kill the mount(which puts you in combat), however that is easily solved by killing the ranged attacker and then waiting to get out of combat(if you swap weapons enough for just take your weapons off you'll get taken out of combat and you can remount).

Agreed and this discussion has been around for a long time. Again the content is generally not difficult and we can kill things and stay alive but it's just annoying with aggro range, density and respawn times. You fight one main thing and three others come along from across the area!

Yes there are some specific places to afk, but try actually enjoying the maps and scenery and wanting to take some screenshots here and there instead of rushing around from goal to goal. You won't be able to pause for long in some spots you'd like a screenshot off

Yeah you can argue that you are not a casual and just play the game for goals but Anet put a lot of great looking maps and lots of details and lore into the game, which means that is actually part of the game and you should be or have the option of enjoying it too.

Only one change needs to happen imo, tune respawn times down. That way we can clear an area for whatever purpose and enjoy ourselves for a few minutes.

@takatsu.9416 said:Agreed and this discussion has been around for a long time. Again the content is generally not difficult and we can kill things and stay alive but it's just annoying with aggro range, density and respawn times. You fight one main thing and three others come along from across the area!

Yes there are some specific places to afk, but try actually enjoying the maps and scenery and wanting to take some screenshots here and there instead of rushing around from goal to goal. You won't be able to pause for long in some spots you'd like a screenshot off

Yeah you can argue that you are not a casual and just play the game for goals but Anet put a lot of great looking maps and lots of details and lore into the game, which means that is actually part of the game and you should be or have the option of enjoying it too.

Only one change needs to happen imo, tune respawn times down. That way we can clear an area for whatever purpose and enjoy ourselves for a few minutes.

Or you can kill the things and then take your scenic shots ....

No need to neuter the area because you as a collective group of people cannot be bothered to kill mobs or find a better spot to take a screenshot from.

@Lunarlife.5128 said:

@CharterforGw.3149 said:use a springer to get to ledges. almost always results in a safe spot where you can afk or logoff

I have had the misfortune of not having this work because there are mobs above and below; both want to aggro on me.

Ye, some places are still dangerous, especially with the high amount of ranged attacks the mobs in PoF have

@Yannir.4132 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Offair.2563 said:Been roaming around these maps for weeks now and still haven't experienced being in combat for 24/7 and chased down the whole map by mobs. Are you guys using your mounts to your advantage, like jumping over mountains to reach other spots?

Not only that. I mean, some complain they can't go afk for some period of time in PoF maps....But how is it possible to justify the time playing a game if you need to to go afk frequently in the fist place?

Some ppl can't pay 100% of their attention to a game because they have kids, pets, family, etc..

I know. I already answered that matter. When things irl happen, I either press G or open the WvW panel. Or I don't log into the game because I know I will be bound to get heavily interrupted by irl stuff.

Edit: I also usually take my springer and jump and stand on unreachable spots.

The Harpies. God, the harpies. Must they supercharge the damned things? The number of times I was trying to explore or do an achievement, and got stuck somehow in the middle of harpies shooting at me from everywhere....the screaming even made my husband take notice.....Ooh, and the sand shark that glides in from, nowhere. Thanks I was just trying to clean my inventory quickly. The respawn rate is what really gets me. Even as a beserker specced ranger, I get very sick and tired of just dropping the last one and the first is up and in my grill.

• 3 months later...

How can you use a springer to get on a shelf if you can't load a mount because of this EXACT issue. PoF maps are insanely full of mobs and if you have to dismount (e.g. treasure hunt) you can take 5 minutes to find a peaceful spot. It's insane, why do the devs think a mob every square inch is sane? It really does destroy the ability to explore, you basically just want to bash through as fast as possible because once you're dismounted you're in for the long hall.

Kill exp is a pitiful part of the game, why the crazy density of mobs

Same as the OP. It was funny at the beginning, when I only needed to follow the story, explore some new area and collecting some mastery. But now that I'm trying to complete all the achievements, I often find myself raging at the monitor.I find very frustrating to be constantly shot, and even if I kill the mobs soon, they respawn after 5 seconds, making very hard to open boxes/chests if you don't have a thief. Also it happens to be dismounted while following groups for bandit tours/meta, and when/if you're able to finally mount again, you might arrive too late, when the event is already over.Atm I'm very disappointed with this looong farming realm-portal achievement. I've already completed 3 maps at 100% and I'm glad that I'll never return on them. Looking forward to complete the last 2 and say farewell also to them forever.

Archived