[POLL] Do you like Mechanist?

Bomboed.5697

Do you like Mechanist?  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the THEME of this spec?

• Yes, this is what I wanted
    • Yes, but I wanted somethin different
    • No, it is a bad execusion of what I wanted
    • No, and I wanted something different
  2. 2. Do you like how this spec is DESIGNED gameplay wise?

• Yes, this is what I wanted
    • Yes, but I wanted somethin different
    • No, it is a bad execusion of what I wanted
    • No, and I wanted something different
  3. 3. Do you like how this spec is BALANCED?

• Yes
    • No

21 hours ago, Lynx.9058 said:

I like it, it's fun to play, but it has numerous glaring design issues that are seriously hurting its performance.  Doesn't matter if it's the most fun spec in the game if nobody wants you for fractals or wvw.

Toolbelt needs to be Available when mech is not.

Traits need to boost the player when mech is inactive.

Mech AI needs major improvements.

Lack of weapon options is still a serious problem for engineers in general, and kits really don't make up for that.

I think  the mecha is always avaliable, mine insta  spwaned every   i  time it  entered  on combat  or used a skill.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aeolus.3615 said:

I think  the mecha is always avaliable, mine insta  spwaned every   i  time it  entered  on combat  or used a skill.

It has a 90 sec cooldown if it dies.
Which will happen in wvw zergs a lot. Also in fractals since there are a lot aoes with high damage that deal like 9k damage per hit. With characters u will ALWAYS dodge them, the mech cant dodge them. I think the problem has a lot to do with that.
And IF the mech dies, you ll sit there with a far worse core engi, because you lose 1 entire spec and toolbelt skills if its dead.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SeTect.5918 said:

It has a 90 sec cooldown if it dies.
Which will happen in wvw zergs a lot. Also in fractals since there are a lot aoes with high damage that deal like 9k damage per hit. With characters u will ALWAYS dodge them, the mech cant dodge them. I think the problem has a lot to do with that.
And IF the mech dies, you ll sit there with a far worse core engi, because you lose 1 entire spec and toolbelt skills if its dead.

IC, makes sense.

Mine  never died , wonder if mecha  shares stats  with the players  ion terms  of damage  HP  % and armor.

Theres  still a issue with  Machinist and toolbelts, theres no toolbelt skills  if u use signets.

I think would be simplies for Anet to  give 3 basic toolbelt skilsl towards machinist  when  has no golem,  Machinist  toolbelts skills   could   be lesser versions  of the signets but casted  on the player,   other  way would be  3  unique non boon  buffs that  could support other machinishs and golems, be less selfish and  have cooperation on play with other machinists.

Edited by Aeolus.3615

To keep it simple : Mechanist is the funniest class I've ever played on this game. I love being able to toy around the spec choosing range/melee, boons or dps burst, shadowstepping with my mech so he can grant me protection. The variety of builds is very nice too and pretty much all engineer weapons are valid (my pref to mace + shield if going melee or pistol / shield).

1 minute ago, Aeolus.3615 said:

IC, makes sense.

Mine  never died , wonder if mecha  shares stats  with the players  ion terms  of damage  HP  % and armor.

You mean if the mech gets same stats as the player? It has traits for that. The mech gains (i think) 175% vitality and toughness of you by minor traits.
However this doesnt help a lot in fractals but its very good for open world and so on. Especially in trailblazers its really good.
Mech can solo the mushroom king heropoint without trailblazers, without the player attacking the heropoint, but you have to use the healing signet which heals the mech every second by 300.
Open world bosses often attack pretty slow which makes the healing signet useful.

However fractals are fully different in that terms. They attack fast and everywhere are aoes dealing 4-10k damage. fractal bosses also often do a lot ccs (which u also dodge) or condis that inflict the breakbar of mech. A good example for this is the 1st boss of fractal 99 which does a lot of knockback if you stand in the red aoes. Or the aoe fear of Arkk in 99.
The mech is also an easy enemy for conditions. In groups its especially on power like that. groups often have aoe condi cleansing. and the power traitline of mechanist makes the mech attack ranged, this means that your mech (maybe) stands out of the condi clean aoe.

However i like the mech anyway but it needs some rework. Atm we have 0 condi cleans in mechanist skills or traits. And yes we have some condi cleanse in core but most are selfish and cant cleanse the condis of ur mech. Yea this spec still needs some improvements like all e specs.
But overall i really like it tbh, I expected it to be worse tbh.

• Like 1

@SeTect.5918

Actually, the KB and KD  situations of the golems  plus stun breaks, could be really strong...

Golem traits  need to be  stronguer IMO, when usgin signets should aply some sorta  buff towards  the mecha as well to counter a bit that.

What  if Anet added a   stronger defiance bar into i the golem??? i think would be cool,  and skills/actions   actions would resplendish over time  i think, the  same way our dodge-energy  refils with some skills. 

Actually Mechanish, Golem/mecha, defiance   are actualy words that sounds good to  me.

EDIT: i was expecting a falcon  punch on the golem skill!

Edited by Aeolus.3615

36 minutes ago, Aeolus.3615 said:

IC, makes sense.

Theres  still a issue with  Machinist and toolbelts, theres no toolbelt skills  if u use signets.

I think would be simplies for Anet to  give 3 basic toolbelt skilsl towards machinist  when  has no golem,  Machinist  toolbelts skills   could   be lesser versions  of the signets but casted  on the player,   other  way would be  3  unique non boon  buffs that  could support other machinishs and golems, be less selfish and  have cooperation on play with other machinists.

It's also currently bugged and will constantly get resummoned, sometimes even when it's on cooldown, just by using abilities or entering combat.

Also it's not just signet skills that cause you to have no toolbelt skills - the mechanist has no toolbelt at all, even when using standard kids/core engi abilities.

• Haha 1

Theme : I like it, really wanted a golemancer since a while. Would have been more my taste with an Asura Golem but I can deal with it

Design & Balance : Gameplay-wise isn't that bad, but, and it seem to be the case of each new specialization we get, they are way to much focused on 1 thing. In hard fight like soloing some HoT HP like AB Chack, Costic Frogs and some other, the huge CD from golem is very annoying and the only way I succeed during test was to play with a mix of Zealot and Diviner gear and all traited to support, if not, even in Trailblazer or set like this the Golem die way to fast since he stay in any aoe and we can't move him.
Add to that to horrible core design from Engineer with totally outdated utility and trait relying way to much on kit...
It's not a total fail, but it limite build way to much imho.
At this point I would love a huge rework from Core Engi and then see how it goes with the Golemancer.

Note : sometime for weird reason the golem doesn't seem to die, do not happen every-time though. Does it get a self-heal ?

Edited by Orack.9756

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I had a Mechanist beside me while doing map completion on a higher-level map. My Holosmith was constantly kicking their butt damage-wise ('cause faster gameplay and higher burst dmg).

How does it play support-wise? (I couldn't be arsed to test it myself.)

Yea xD
I saw all that players saying while the livestream: woooah look at this damage!
And now none is like that anymore xD Seeing 10k dmg on a skill and then instantly like: this is going to be op! But holosmith totally kicking its butt power and condi dmg wise.

Support wise its pretty bugged or sth like that atm, Its putting out perma alac with mace auto attack and without any boons duration. Pretty sure it shouldnt be like that. However it also grants some other nice boons perma. Not sure if it is 10 player or 5 player support tho. Or 4 player support bc the mech also gains the boons.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Enxadachim.9450 said:

Thematically, I hoped to have a mech suit, to feel like iron man 🤖. Having a pet was a huge bummer. 

Design, it's being very weird not to have the toolbelt. 

Cant u fix that by playing  Asuran mechanist???

EDIT: just tested this, and  golems  racials   skills need a huge CD redicing and players would have  to have  access to golem commands while inside  the power suit, this skills dont feel like Elite skills at all.

The  only OP racial skills are  on norn wich  can lead to 30k hits and 50k  HP,   golems  racial skill need to e better i  think  would  improve the mechanist theme as well, so why cant  asuran golems  be improved?

Asuran mechanist doesnt work after all. :classic_mellow: was expecting more   Asuran ingenuity   over canthan golems.

QoL thematic  sugestions:

-Give  access  to  mechanist golem command while using  the Power suit golem  racial skill

-Make racial skill Sumoning  Golems ()   for Asurans better  armor  and damage scale - 30k-40k  base hp m8 be   nice.

-Reduce Asuran racial  golem  sumoning to 90-120CD  after golems die.  (make them  work like the mechanist golem  summon and   CD  if they die, remove  the timmer)

-Power Suit reduced  condi  damage and  duration on its  user.

- Remove glider  working  on the Powersuit Golem  (looks  like im using  a fly hack ...).

@Fire Attunement.9835

I  wont post this  on mecha  feedback cause  its a bit outside  of  what to expect in  that  thread but would like  to point this since its kinda the same theme, and would be a good time to  improve golems in asurans as well,  would give plenty more options  for players that dont want to use the elite mecha skill as well.

And what's better  than 1 golem?.... 2 golems!

Edited by Aeolus.3615
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Aeolus.3615 said:

Cant u fix that by playing  Asuran mechanist???

I always played Asuran Engi 🙂 but the racial never really worked. It feels a bit clunky IMO.

I hoped for a different kind of tech, by looking at the icon I thought we would get power gloves and they would work like the holoforge.

The skills would be a mixture of shooting laser (from the gloves) and/or punching (Like Vi from League of Legends). Overall giving the engineer a "new kit" to play with.

Ps. I just tried to answer thematically what I was hoping for.

• Like 1

I'm still really not sure how to weigh in on balance yet.  I love what this spec is, but it puts a lot of my engi preconceptions on their side and I need time to process.  Like I need to completely rethink my skills, because I don't have all that extra toolbelt space for things like stun break, condi cleanse and so on.  The thought of running Med Kit without the F1 self heal is kind of scary.  I might actually have to forgo Rocket Boots in a build, and that haunts me on a fundamental level.

Was hoping to have my char hop in a mech suit scruffy style but I get that it'd be a pain to have all the different races fit in a mech.

Still enjoy the golem tank and dps buddy, a bit more control of the thing would've been nice, but at least there's a callback option unlike necro minions.

11 minutes ago, Pheex.8932 said:

Was hoping to have my char hop in a mech suit scruffy style but I get that it'd be a pain to have all the different races fit in a mech.

Actually, not so difficult. You dont need to physically put player model into mech model. All you need is to make bulky enough model for mech to look like it could fit player model. And then just replace player model with mech model whenever mech is summoned with some flashy animations.

17 hours ago, Bomboed.5697 said:

Actually, not so difficult. You dont need to physically put player model into mech model. All you need is to make bulky enough model for mech to look like it could fit player model. And then just replace player model with mech model whenever mech is summoned with some flashy animations.

Asurans  already  have  the power  suit,  wish for Anet to improve  it :)

Edited by Aeolus.3615
  • Like 2

On 10/26/2021 at 3:21 PM, iKeostuKen.2738 said:

Roaming with it in WvW and probably some of the most fun I have had on engi in a long time. Definitely not for everyone but that's why we have 3 elite specs with varying playstyles. 

Mech has Bug issues but its damage, its presence, its impact... makes up for how clunky it moves.

Counters the old meta favs pretty well as a full damage mechanist. Leaving DHs, reapers and scourges in shambles as tghey just dont know what to focus and if they go after my pet I shadowstep it out of there.

Only issue I have with it is Core reactor shot and the fact that sometimes it desummons for no reason and wont come back out.

Otherwise, im maining it as long as nothing really changes gameplay wise.

Plzzzzz tell me you have some videos of this. I’ve been searching for mechanist WvW videos and haven’t found any! 

you going with the ranged build or the condi build I’ve been seeing around? 

It's a cool spec in theory, but this beta has really exposed ongoing problems with Pet AI, core engi, and underwater combat.  Also being useless for 90s if your golem kicks the bucket mandates use of the elite. And there's almost no reward for withdrawing the golem early if it's already low-- just a few seconds of cooldown.

I do like the way the golem jets off. Would be funny if you could jet away with it.

This thing is quite a hazard to glassy enemies in WvW because they probably don't anticipate the punch. Also people don't seem to have realized that they should kill me yet. Once they've realized that, I don't see myself lasting long.

As expected the golem is ineffective against zergs unless you do the ranger thing and keep the pet on you at all times as a buff bot. However, all that it really does is give me time to run away. One funny instance involved a whole zerg ignoring me to kill my golem while I jumped off to the side xD.

Maybe the golem needs a taunt or something.

Oh yea, and let us use it underwater.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 4

No not at all...

I wanted a more ranger pet style game play not this.. It takes away my hotbars and skill selection while just dragging me back with a robot that will just die in seconds against any serious boss enemy..

At this time it feels useless and nothing more than a gimmick class..

How are we suppose to to do serious content like hot or Pof with this weak terrible robot stealing all my skill slots.. and then dies for a full minute and gets me killed..

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Like 2

Eh, I'm not really sure. I typed up a long post about it in the feedback section. But, I have a massive headache and the feedback is poorly-written as a result. 

I have a lot of issues with it. The Mech Commands are very unresponsive even relative to a Ranger pet. It's easily countered and kind of awkwardly countered in PvE since you can go hours without worrying about it, but then it's suddenly just standing in the wrong spot and just melts. The Signets are mostly awful. 

But, it has some cool moments. I think I wanted something that had a greater impact on how Engineer played. Mechanist feels very similar to a toned-down core Engineer. The PvP scene has already started to accommodate it. People just CC the mech and then slap the Engineer. 

I want to like it even though I was against a pet-based Engineer. But, I'm concerned about its future. Extra customization for it would be fun, though. 

• Like 1

1. Obligatory ranger main here: I love how the engi spec turned out but i absolutely despise how much better it is to ranger pets

2. I really like how the engi spec turned out although its a bit sad how hard it leans into the mech. Its a bit to all in for my taste. If the GMs would all give the mech certain trait interactions it would make the spec more interesting because it would integrate the mech more into the engi spec as a whole.

3. The mech is pretty much overtuned atm and can solo hydras while i rummage through my inventory

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 9:37 PM, Lynx.9058 said:

I like it, it's fun to play, but it has numerous glaring design issues that are seriously hurting its performance.  Doesn't matter if it's the most fun spec in the game if nobody wants you for fractals or wvw.

Toolbelt needs to be Available when mech is not.

Traits need to boost the player when mech is inactive.

Mech AI needs major improvements.

Lack of weapon options is still a serious problem for engineers in general, and kits really don't make up for that.

I agree with your points listed, but there is also problem with Jade Golems defence mechanism in WvW. There is now way it can catch up to a Thief (or its Elite options). How will it survive is rather important issue (shared with most Pets that have a Health Pool that need to be managed)?

Teleportation skill where you get JG to resummon at your position isn't enough as it too often suddenly attack at random what ever that are hostile in its position (when traited for ranged attacks). In melee version it would need to get to target to do any damage and that is another limitation.

Using it for a knock back seem not to work most times as it bugs out and don't do anything.

In single player state (meaning JG are in repair state or de-summoned) it does not give player anything to survive until it can be summoned again. The green projectile block change to PC, but it is too random too even know if JG in repair state or just bugged.

No condi cleanse or stunbreak from traits (and very little to improve condition or power application from the new signets, which most would probably feel is necessery to at least control JG like TP skill and shield). Which again forces player to pick ranged bundle packs (Engineer's Toolkit or Granades etc) with Explosives as trait line to improve damage on range.

Controlling and manage Pet, means also that PC need to keep an eye two HP, be aware of possible attacks and have less option for attributes (you would need to invest in Vitality and maybe Toughness as those improve JG passive defence through trait line). A full Berserker geared PC would have probably problem to survive as you need to position yourself and JG a lot to not get JG killed or yourself - even with large HP on JG it can drop very fast). Healing signet is not a very good heal for when PC need to heal and JG are on repair.

To sum it up: It is much easier to play Scrapper or even Holosmith as you don't have to manage skills and health pool on a second character (your Pet; Jade Golem). You can boost your surrounding team with boons and other features and be useful. With JG you don't have that support to other players around you. You can't command JG to support other players when they need help or give a short protection (yes you have some boons that when traited will boost damage or give an extra dodge, but it is from trait line and also limited in control).

I like the idea and find it fun to play in Lab, and did kill some creates or even took some Camps in WvW, but for real fights it is less useful or in larger boss fight (in PvE) with high mobility it is still not up to the task. The very reason why ranger use Smokscale is that it have built in defence in form of fast attacks and movement, can put up a field (which give stealth both you and your pet and those standing in it) and isn't standing still for most part.

It means that it can be used on bosses without micro management and can work in WvW without getting to often killed. It does also give PC a boost on Power and Might which is important (so it is not a main pet for condi builds). Add to that one also need to priortise two attribute to boost JG (V+T) it also will limit range of possible attribute combo for builds.

On 10/27/2021 at 7:07 PM, Aeolus.3615 said:

IC, makes sense.

When your Mecha didn't die it could be because of a bug that give it Invulnarbilty (Determined). That is bug that some people here have mentioned. Haven't seen it myself, but it is worth to consider if your Mecha never died.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Energy_Siphoning

You are sharing Vitality and Toughness stat with your Mecha (see link above).

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437