Can we please delay the skill description pop-up?

SkinnyT.5382

ANET please please please! Can you please add a delay to the skill description pop-up while you're in combat?! Only for like 2-4 seconds, or at least give us the options for that or to turn it off completely.

I know I'm not the only one who has this problem. And I know people have been asking this for a long time. Why hasn't it been implemented? It's such a simple/straight forward QoL upgrade.
It's very distracting to be in a fight/combat and have my skill description op-up immediately after I hover it with my mouse. Some skills only have 1 small square box, but others have up to 3 different versions or just a lot of effects, and all of a sudden I have a wall of text in the middle of my screen blocking my view just because I was about to use a skill. Because of how GW2 is set up, a lot of us are not able to just use keyboard for activating our skills.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, mindcircus.1506 said:

Stop clicking your skills and use hotkeys.

This is the function of the current setup. It forces you to stop skill clicking so that you can focus your attention on positioning and tells.

I remember when they added in the action cam, I thought I'd never come back, but that has completely reenergized my love for this game. For some reason, this was one I could never get used to the double mouse button moving. 

• Confused 2

43 minutes ago, Klowdy.3126 said:

I remember when they added in the action cam, I thought I'd never come back, but that has completely reenergized my love for this game. For some reason, this was one I could never get used to the double mouse button moving. 

why not use w s a d for movement since that dont pingone hole you into just going forward like pressing both mouse buttons do.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

why not use w s a d for movement since that dont pingone hole you into just going forward like pressing both mouse buttons do.

I never liked moving like that, while holding down the mouse button. It just felt too cumbersome. I'd been using both mouse buttons since vanilla WoW, so it was either that, or the full on action combat.

Edit: Also, I use A, S, and D for backpedaling.

Edited by Klowdy.3126
  • Confused 1

On 2/13/2022 at 5:20 AM, SkinnyT.5382 said:

others have up to 3 different versions

I'm fairly certain that when you're actually in combat only the first box shows up when you hover over it.

I also echo what others in this thread have said. Bind your skills to keys you can hit easily, or maybe look at hardware upgrades. After my first razer naga I've never looked back.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 2/12/2022 at 7:20 PM, SkinnyT.5382 said:

ANET please please please! Can you please add a delay to the skill description pop-up while you're in combat?! Only for like 2-4 seconds, or at least give us the options for that or to turn it off completely.

I second that request (and not for the first time; I recall making a similar thread a couple of years ago and was bombarded with counter-productive responses like the ones you are getting here).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

It may not be efficient and I don't click skills myself but if people wanna or have to cuz disabilities there's no reason not to add options.

FFXIV has options to make tooltips only popup on left or right of screen, a static spot or not at all, for example, along with it's 9000 other UI options which this game is missing 100% of.

What can I do with this game's UI? I can shrink the entire thing at once or increase the entire size at once, and move the minimap up or down and that's basically it.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Doggie.3184 said:

It may not be efficient and I don't click skills myself but if people wanna or have to cuz disabilities there's no reason not to add options.

FFXIV has options to make tooltips only popup on left or right of screen, a static spot or not at all, for example, along with it's 9000 other UI options which this game is missing 100% of.

Funny enough, GW2 did have a tooltip delay option, but it was removed several years ago for no good reason. 😠

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

I mean sure, add an option.

On 2/12/2022 at 7:20 PM, SkinnyT.5382 said:

Because of how GW2 is set up, a lot of us are not able to just use keyboard for activating our skills.

I don't see how anyone is unable to activate skills with keyboard. I just cant imagine any disability that would cause that. Because using straight shortcuts is easier and requires much less effort compared to moving your mouse and clicking a button. 

And GW2 has no GCD and is fast paced.

My advice to anyone that uses mouse to activate anything. Bind everything, including all mounts, including UI elements. 

Write it down if you have to, if you cant remember everything.

NEVER EVER click anything again! Including mounts, including UI elements. You might struggle for a few days because you will be looking at keyboard and try to find the correct button. But at some point it will just become natural. You will just stop thinking about it and the game will become sooooooo much smoother.

And this will be just begining. With more practice you will just naturaly start to stun break perfectly, dodge perfectly (dont ever use double tap to dodge), cleanse perfectly.

And mounts. The best mounts in mmorpgs. Clicking those must be a sin with some kind of gw2 deity. So much depth lost by clicking those (or using that mount wheel). 

This will not only help you in games. Windows and all other applications have tons of shortcuts. Once those become natural to you, you will navigate apps and work so much faster. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

GW2 and its community are legitimately the most confused of all game communities...apart from maybe Sonic, but then that's a totally different issue.

Anyway: the point of GW2 -- which die-hards at release would always harp on about when the game was criticised for being awful and devoid of anything meaningful to so -- was meant to be that you play it however you want to play it. Action Cam, clicking skills, whatever. You aren't forced to bind macros and meet rotation requirements.

Meanwhile, most replies are calling this guy's playstyle wrong.

The UI is hilariously uncustomisable and screen-blocking -- which, again, was a much-touted design tenet, "not playing the UI". The game is totally unaccommodating for those with disabilities, when simple alterations like OP's asking for would solve issues for many. Just like toning down effects, allowing UI to be customised, colourblind options.

Anet cares not. EoD means approaching EoL, and NCSoft cares only about margins.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

I also think clicking skills is bad but there is also a perfectly good place to add this, the Dynamic HUD. So why not add it? A delay is probably a bad idea unless you are constantly forgetting what your skills do and need to read the description in the middle of combat. The Dynamic HUD would simply hide it in combat. With a delay if someone is moving the cursor too slowly it will still popup

As for skill clicking being suboptimal, so is Action cam. There are plenty of other suboptimal things like running around in full nomad as well. Oh and keyboard turning is the default ...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Einsof.1457 said:

...you click your skills? yikes.

9 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

I don't see how anyone is unable to activate skills with keyboard. I just cant imagine any disability that would cause that.

I have no words for responses like those above. :classic_rolleyes: Being completely ignorant for other people's needs and telling them self-righteously what options they can't have, because - you know - reasons, come to mind.

P.S. I am often top DPS'ing in KP groups, and I'm a (partial) clicker, so...

6 hours ago, LSD.4673 said:

Anyway: the point of GW2 -- which die-hards at release would always harp on about when the game was criticised for being awful and devoid of anything meaningful to so -- was meant to be that you play it however you want to play it. Action Cam, clicking skills, whatever. You aren't forced to bind macros and meet rotation requirements.

Meanwhile, most replies are calling this guy's playstyle wrong.

The UI is hilariously uncustomisable and screen-blocking -- which, again, was a much-touted design tenet, "not playing the UI". The game is totally unaccommodating for those with disabilities, when simple alterations like OP's asking for would solve issues for many. Just like toning down effects, allowing UI to be customised, colourblind options.

👍👍

The devs must have shared that standpoint or the feature of deactivating or delaying tooltips would not have been implemented in the game in the first place. Perhaps it was removed for technical reasons; they might not have been able to fix the underlying problem, so it never got re-introduced.

Dear devs,

If you are reading this: there are quite a few players who would gladly have it back. 🥰

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

5 hours ago, LSD.4673 said:

The generally accepted rule around is here that as soon as someone purposefully misquotes "play how you want" that all productive conversation has ended.

Edited by mindcircus.1506
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

For all of you who keep saying that i need to stop clicking my skills. NO
Just . No.
-First off, I shouldn't have to.
-Secondly, some professions use upwards of 14 skills. I'm not gonna rebind my whole keyboard for all of this, nor will I buy a mouse with an ungodly amount of buttons.

Fact of the matter is that clicking to activate skills works just fine, what doesn't work is the wall of text continuously being produced  immediately after you hover a skill. The implementation of a delay to this function or the ability to shut off this function (which I would personally  prefer) has literally no negative impact to anyone. It does however positively effect myself and many other players who have been asking for this for years. I don't understand why some of you keep fighting against providing other players with accommodations which would make their playing experience better.

You can play the game with your toes as far as I'm concerned, that's your prerogative. Just like clicking on my  skills is mine.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 4

11 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

I mean sure, add an option.

I don't see how anyone is unable to activate skills with keyboard. I just cant imagine any disability that would cause that. Because using straight shortcuts is easier and requires much less effort compared to moving your mouse and clicking a button. 

And GW2 has no GCD and is fast paced.

My advice to anyone that uses mouse to activate anything. Bind everything, including all mounts, including UI elements. 

Write it down if you have to, if you cant remember everything.

NEVER EVER click anything again! Including mounts, including UI elements. You might struggle for a few days because you will be looking at keyboard and try to find the correct button. But at some point it will just become natural. You will just stop thinking about it and the game will become sooooooo much smoother.

And this will be just begining. With more practice you will just naturaly start to stun break perfectly, dodge perfectly (dont ever use double tap to dodge), cleanse perfectly.

And mounts. The best mounts in mmorpgs. Clicking those must be a sin with some kind of gw2 deity. So much depth lost by clicking those (or using that mount wheel). 

This will not only help you in games. Windows and all other applications have tons of shortcuts. Once those become natural to you, you will navigate apps and work so much faster. 

Yeah, I've set up my keybinds so my hands never move around, lol. Super lazy, but I've got everything bound.

• Sad 2

47 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Maybe click faster, don't hover?  I don't seem to notice the tool-tips very often, and I do 'click' some of my skills. 

The tool-tip shows up immediately so it doesn't matter how fast you click, it pops up. In some professions it's a little less noticeable, but when I play a Mesmer for example where f1-f4 is used non stop it's, the tool-tips are  a constant distraction.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 2/12/2022 at 11:51 AM, mindcircus.1506 said:

Stop clicking your skills and use hotkeys.

This is the function of the current setup. It forces you to stop skill clicking so that you can focus your attention on positioning and tells.

While I would highly encourage any player who clicks to utilize keybinds and/or mouse buttons instead, I don't think the request is unreasonable.  I doubt if a person is clicking and doesn't understand why that's a problem in an action combat game that relies mostly on animation-based telegraphs that annoying them with skill tooltip popups in combat is going to make the light bulb suddenly turn on.

For players who do click and perhaps don't understand why this is a bigger issue in a game like this than other seemingly similar games like WoW or FFXIV.  Consider that we have a dodge mechanic baseline on all classes.  It's a central feature of the game.  Further, we have a simple UI by design.  There are no cast bars popping up to tell you when an enemy is casting a spell.  There are relatively few UI-based telegraphs of any kind.  The intention is that you watch enemy animations and react to them.  You can't do that if your eyes are constantly on your skillbar, which they obviously are if your complaint is that tooltips get in the way of clicking your skills.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if this will help.

Using ESDF as movement keys allows you to move all hotkeys to the surrounding keys. ZAQWRTGXCV all become comfortably usable. It took me an afternoon of practicing in lion's arch farm area to get used to it. But it changed all my gaming for the better. Please try it!

There is fascinating videos explaining how WASD came to exist, and it was just people copying a player at a quake tournament. And not even an efficient keybinding method, it was just that at the time there was no standard; it was all experimenting. And because one player never lost, everyone wanted to know AND COPY what keybinds he used!

There are also videos showing everything that ESDF can do that WASD can't. The hardest part of ESDF is setting it up because it's not copying everyone else. 😀

Edited by Redfeather.6401