Best time to pull Chilling Fog when defending a Keep ?

Michael Conrad.6704

I don't know if this is a serious answer, but based on what I've heard in map chat there is never a good time to use Chilling Fog and you'd always be better off doing almost anything else.

I don't know why exactly (other than I assume it doesn't achieve much) but I've never seen anyone ask for it to be used or seen it used without people complaining that it was a bad idea.

Chilling Fog should be used when you are going for a melee push coordinated with a range bomb. This way people can't step out of your damage. Herald based ranged bombs aren't helped that much by chilling fog, pulsing AoEs that take 4-5s to do full damage on the other hand benefit greatly.

It used to be that stacked scrappers get free alacrity with Chilling Fog but after the 2s ICD on Purity of Purpose that isn't entirely relevant anymore.

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

It used to be that stacked scrappers get free alacrity with Chilling Fog but after the 2s ICD on Purity of Purpose that isn't entirely relevant anymore.

A zerg probably have enough scrappers to completely bypass this "issue". 

But in short, when 2 zergs clash you want to pop chilling fog. There is no point before or after, whether they are on lord or not is irrelevant. There really isnt much point of it period. Most of the time this occur a zerg is either so big it'll just ignore it, or they go into defensive mode for the duration.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Michael Conrad.6704 said:

and to add more information, I had Chilling Fog, Dragon Banner and Emergency Way Point (EWP). I can certainly understand that pulling EWP should be saved for a full-on Lord attack. But we had roughly equal numbers of defenders as enemy and the Keep was the Fire Keep in WvW. Just more info. Thanks.

I'll defer to the other responses regarding when Chilling Fog should be pulled, but the EWP should NOT be pulled when the enemy is on the lord of the keep unless it's a group of 15 or less and you've got no one at the keep defending.  It should be pulled BEFORE the inner wall of the keep goes down so as to allow time for 1) calling out the EWP on map/team chat and 2) players to take the EWP and fully load in. 

Otherwise you're just setting up the enemy to farm all the reinforcing players as they load in.

• Like 1

I get furious when we lose a keep and no tactic was pulled entirely. When they are at the lord, the fight does not look good, yes then pull the EWP and pull the chilling fog. Is it the perfect moment in time? Maybe yes, maybe not. Is it better than losing the keep with the activation possible? Definitely yes

Pull it whenever because you shouldn't put that garbage on stuff. (except maybe camps)

It doesn't do anything to mounts and does nothing to big groups. Sometimes you can use it to troll smaller groups though.

I usually pull it once they get off their mounts and commit to the attack. Usually some players will get distracted by something and get left behind so you can pick those off more easily.

Also yes Ronin is right. Pulling EWP when the enemy is on it is just free bags for the enemy. With the sheer amount of incompetent people plus loading bugs , Invul is the better bet most of the time anyways unless it's desert BL.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Haha 1

On 2/21/2022 at 7:10 AM, Michael Conrad.6704 said:

I was told that the best time to pull Chilling Fog was when the enemy are on the Lord (during Keep attack). I guess there are mitigating circumstances that dictate other times but in general, is that appropriate ?  Thank you 🙂

When it is hot, you enable the air conditioning.  

Chilling Fog does nothing when you do not have defenders. 

Unless it is specifically being ask of you not to use it, you should use it if and when enemy is on the Castle Lord.

It should be deploy together with Airship bombardment, chill and bombard the enemy, meanwhile finishing the downs if any, while you call for backup. 

Edited by SweetPotato.7456
  • Thanks 1

The same time the trolls usually pull it, when the enemy is not around.

Also supply drop is a hundred times better, chilling fog is only needed when the enemy is around and it possibly helps them instead of you because most times it will be misused. Supply drop is needed practically every single cooldown.

On 2/20/2022 at 11:14 PM, Michael Conrad.6704 said:

and to add more information, I had Chilling Fog, Dragon Banner and Emergency Way Point (EWP). I can certainly understand that pulling EWP should be saved for a full-on Lord attack. But we had roughly equal numbers of defenders as enemy and the Keep was the Fire Keep in WvW. Just more info. Thanks.

It's only any good if you have a coordinated group of your own, or if the enemy can't bunker your cloud. Otherwise they can just stand in it and survive. That's one reason why the supply lever is better most of the time: Chilling Fog is too situational, imo - or it's a Tactic best used at your server's Prime Time. 

Well that's the other problem. Taking Chilling Fog means no supply drop and bad for the long term. I guess you could put it on crap you know you'll lose shortly but that also justifies nothing at all.

They ought to balance the tacitvators better. Hardened gates, auto turrets, hardened siege are such memes that you're almost trolling your server by putting those on.

Well, judging when to pull Chilling Fog can be a bit intriguing. Since the "Purity of Purpose"-Nerf, it´s no longer free permanent alacrity for the enemy, however it´s still applied. But in summary, Chilling Fog still does have the advantages it was made for. Not because it necesarily slows down your enemies due to the chill effect, but because your enemies will have to burn condi-cleanse to get rid of it / convert it into alac. 

In my opinion, it´s best used shortly before your defending group (aka a zerg, or a group of appropiate size) engages, since your enemies will have to burn at least some cooldowns (cleanses and resistance) which they will then not have ready for when your allies engage the fight. 

That´s different for EWP tho. Like the others said, if the enemy is already in a position to bomb the EWP, it´s already WAY too late to pull it. The best time for EWP is usually when the enemy is approaching the inner gate/wall, but did not yet breach it. The most important thing for EWP: ask in map/team-chat if you should pull it, while announcing the status of the objective (color and amount of attackers, gate/wall-status etc). Sometimes there are guilds running hidden tags and they may be close by and won´t need an EWP to get in. In the case you are about to pull EWP anyways: ANNOUNCE IT BEFOREHAND. Do a short "countdown" until you pull, and then ping the EWP in chat to make it possible for defenders to prepare (e.g. getting out of combat). The only alternative for a "late pull" would be, when your defending group of considerable size already has engaged the enemy, got a few kills but gets overwhelmed by the enemy. It allows the dead players to instantly revive inside, getting a short time of invulnerability and a chance to regroup and re-engage the already weakened enemy.

Edited by Custodio.6134
added additional info
  • Thanks 1

I would like to add on to the EWP, 

pull that before they breach the inner wall/doors, ask in chat first, and call it out in team chat that it's coming before you pull it.

If you pull it when they are on inner all your doing is getting your own people killed in most cases. 

A lot of groups even when on the lord are just waiting to see that waypoint and will immediately go for that waypoint and delete anything spawning in and will stay there collecting bags until the waypoint expires then will go back to the lord to cap.

• Thanks 2