Why can't we skip dialogue [Merged]

6 minutes ago, figloalds.1274 said:

It's frustrating having to endure all the talk for a second, third time
Specially in end of dragons because you need to do the quests to get a Jade Bot Core for EACH CHARACTER which is a damned kitten

A quest or the story?  I certainly do not want to play through the flying boat crap again... Once was more than enough (then the story got really fun).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tukaram.8256 said:

A quest or the story?  I certainly do not want to play through the flying boat crap again... Once was more than enough (then the story got really fun).

yeah in other RPG games these "talk to this, fetch that" mechanic is called "quest"

I don't know if you can get it in another way, but if not you have to do the story again up to "Scenic Route" to get Jade Bot core for each character.
You get the mastery, you have the jade bot, but you can't use it until you equip a core on it, and so far the only way that I know to get the core is doing the story

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

On 2/28/2022 at 2:19 PM, Slowpokeking.8720 said:

We used to have such thing, but why is it gone? It's annoying when you repeat the story.

Not only for replay, I can read the dialogue bubbles faster then the voice acting and I just want to get it done.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I wish i can just play the story again without the talking and (very slow) walking. How about a fast forward button.  Make it 10x faster during non interactive sections, or just skip it altogether (ie do not play audio and fast forward text).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

This is definitely a pain point for me. I'm used to the fact that if a game is dragging on with its cutscenes, I can just read subtitles and keep moving, so I don't spend the majority of my playtime watching and waiting, and wondering what I'm doing with my life. I'm not much of a TV watcher, the interactivity of games is what keeps me engaged, but it's hard to stay engaged through such forced slowdown and makes me dread playing through story (and feel like I have to allot an age of time to ensure I can get through a sequence uninterrupted), which is sad because I do want to see what happens, just at my own pace.

(Side note: Absolutely ridiculous during timed sequences too. Here's an achievement where you need to do this part in X amount of time, now watch us waste 5 minutes of that for you on unskippable dialogue.)

Edit: Also, with a TV show, you can pause at least if you need to, with this being an online game, you can't even pause it and dialogue sequences often end in combat, so you can't even step away if you need to and let something play out. The expectations just don't make sense. If they don't have the resources for cutscenes, that's fine, but this approach is very frustrating to deal with.

Edited by Labjax.2465
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 2/28/2022 at 2:19 PM, Slowpokeking.8720 said:

We used to have such thing, but why is it gone? It's annoying when you repeat the story.

That's why I loved the old story/conversation cuts. On my second, tenth, 100th time through, I just don't need to hear it again. Now I just use the time to do something else, like make dinner, or take a nap.

Edited by Klowdy.3126
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Best thing to do as the game doesn't have a skip option, is to either alt-tab and play something else/watch something else for a bit, then alt-tab back in and viola, no story scene. Can also start it, leave the computer, go do something and come back. 

Don't make a skip scene Anet? Well I'll do it anyway. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I assumed when they added "return to" they would've added skips.

How naive of me...

On 2/28/2022 at 2:22 PM, Randulf.7614 said:

Because it causes bugs due to the live nature of scenes. We had it in core because they were storyboards. Even GW1 had bugs in dialogue skips so the devs decided against a skip button for future dialogue scenes that weren’t on storyboards etc

Weird, literally no other game created by mankind has this issue.

Edited by Shiyo.3578
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

On 2/28/2022 at 2:22 PM, Randulf.7614 said:

Because it causes bugs due to the live nature of scenes. We had it in core because they were storyboards. Even GW1 had bugs in dialogue skips so the devs decided against a skip button for future dialogue scenes that weren’t on storyboards etc

Sounds like they painted themselves into a corner. Now I'm wondering if the issue is they use the same infrastructure as the events system? and if that's the case, maybe there should be a way to play them in open world. (I know: spoilers, where would you put them, etc., just brainstorming)

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

19 minutes ago, Shiyo.3578 said:

I assumed when they added "return to" they would've added skips.

How naive of me...

Weird, literally no other game created by mankind has this issue.

I didn’t program the game, I’m just telling you why it is. Not all mmos have skips either or have the same live dialogue as GW2 uses. 

I get it’s annoying for people and yes it would be nice for people to skip, but they have addressed why for better or worse.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I didn’t program the game, I’m just telling you why it is. Not all mmos have skips either or have the same live dialogue as GW2 uses. 

I get it’s annoying for people and yes it would be nice for people to skip, but they have addressed why for better or worse.

Then they shouldn't make replaying story a requirement for rewards.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

36 minutes ago, Shiyo.3578 said:

Then they shouldn't make replaying story a requirement for rewards.

On this note, I can say there are some achievements I will probably never get despite being happy to go for the challenge because I can't be bothered to sit through, ya know, 30 minutes of story to fail on 1 minute of the actual challenge and have to try again. I applaud the mini-games in HoT in this way, cause they're relatively painless to reset and try again. That's how story challenges should be IMO, but I don't know what my "should" is worth cause I imagine even if they agreed, they'd have to go back and change a lot to make that possible.

• Like 7
  • Confused 2

I was just lamenting this when I went too far during a story step and accidentally missed out on an easy achievement and wasn't able to go back. Knowing I'll have to redo all that talking and wandering around slowly just to get that achievement is not endearing... 

I mean I kind of understand why; GW2 seems to want to tell a lot of the story through environmental storytelling, and want you to feel 'immersed' while you are playing through story instances, which is why most dialogue is interwoven with action. But that makes it so frustrating to have to replay, especially when you're literally forced to for certain achievements or rewards. Not to mention if the game decides to glitch out or disconnect during a story instance as it is so wont to do, you have to redo everything you just did with no way to skip it. Like, no other big game these days seems to have unskippable story like this. 

I also have no idea why they went from most everything being account-wide to having to unlock everything per character for the jade bot. What was the motivation there? So weird. 

Edited by kettering.6823
  • Like 13
  • Confused 1

Dialogues are way too long, and probably the most skipped part in the game (meaning not read). And it still happens that players are disconnected in a dialogue after an hour or longer playing, just before the quest instance ends. My suggestion: Move dialogues out of the instance and make it 3 or 4 short quests instead of 1 very long packed with dialogues.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I've brought this up before because I'm personally not a fan of the GW2 story. But many achievements for skins and titles are tied to this.
And honestly, I doubt they handle it that way mainly because of bugs. I have a friend who has played the initial story so often and told me that she had strange bugs with the dragons in the finale at most.

Now this is my personal opinion as always, but I rather think that Anet just saves everywhere it can, because I think to introduce these uncut dialogues with a few NPC's running at snail's pace somewhere, is less costly than to program the cut-scenes we had at the very beginning.
Welp, another story for me that I would play at most if they hung a Legy on it again.
Skins and other things can be earned much easier in WVW with max-booster and semi-afk.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3