Did you like the story?

To me the game ended with LW4, anything after that is filler. Kralk was Built up over years and many seasons, he left a visable scar on the map and world that will be there forever, when he turned someone, they were turned for good none of this fairy tale ending dragons die and they turn back to normal business. Kralk was the reason we have the Vigil, as he wiped out Almorr's Warband in the past. The Pact would never have been a thing without him. He changed and altered the world and his ending fight was worth it and awesome, the final zone is a sight and so well done as you fight him on 2 fronts both inside and out. 

EoD to me is a filler arc after IBS's terrible story writing. Only for some reason we swear a lot more. Even the NPC's are swearing. Like it feels like a bad fanfic, like some random person was picked off the street and the devs said "hey, can we use your random fanfic for EoD story". I didn't get to play LW1, so the entire start has no emotional weight. The entire first zone is just dialgoue and wait, talk and wait, some swearing, talk and wait, talk and wait, do some random tutorial that feels out of place after nine years of game, talk and wait some more, fight this random boss in a cave that has no meaning behind it, talk and wait, talk and wait. 

How anyone thinks EoD story is good amazes me, Its the most bored I've ever been with no build up. 

• Like 9
  • Confused 3

33 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Joon and Mai were close, and therefore Mai certainly had plenty of chances to do proper spy work. Ankka was pursuing her own goals for a long time, while also preparing the mutiny; she certainly did her own spy work on Mai Trin.

So there was plenty of opportunity to hack the system and leave their own backdoor virus for later use.

Several things

First according to the recording.  Etherblade never intend to go Cantha.  It was an accident.   So they did not came for spy work.

Second as far as the story goes.  Mai was found by Joon who took her in.  Mai did learn some tech.  But when Joon want dragon expert.  She took the task and reunite with her crew.  

Third. Ankka is an asua.  They are not exactly human like.  Commanders's crashing is the first knock on Cantha's door.  So etherblade, except Mai did not enter Cantha. ( their ship mostly crash on an island near by).   If those char and asua have been seen by Cathan people, the story would definitly be different.

Fourth.  Mai is no engineer.  She is a revenant.  When she return to her crew she did not build jade golem nor mainframe on her ship.  Even if Ankka spy on Mai, she wouldn't be able to learn much.

All in all still make no sense

Edit:  also tge mainframe was guard by human and Jade golem.  Ankka did not fight any of them.   Even Joon and Mai cant deactive them without a fight.

Edited by decease.3215
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

oh man.. i just realised, they are probably gonna phase out everyone for the next living world and focus on the new characters (Rama etc. hes the only one i remember at this point...)

Rytlock, braham and rox are pretty much gone for good already

But kasmeer & majory, and maybe even Caithe might disappear from next living world season as well... that's sad...😟😟😟

taimi & gorrik prob still here given we need to find a jade tech alternative, but with eod's trailer i half expected her to be dead by now. would be nice if Blish comes back and saves the day with new mist power.

Edited by Peterson.5172

11 hours ago, decease.3215 said:

Several things

First according to the recording.  Etherblade never intend to go Cantha.  It was an accident.   So they did not came for spy work.

Second as far as the story goes.  Mai was found by Joon who took her in.  Mai did learn some tech.  But when Joon want dragon expert.  She took the task and reunite with her crew.  

Third. Ankka is an asua.  They are not exactly human like.

1. I never said they went there on purpose, but they took the opportunity once they stranded there, as Mai Trin looked Canthan and therefore could blend in easily and tricked Joon into trusting her and took a job at her power plant. (All this was mentioned in the dialogue etc.)
  2. Same as 1: Aetherblades are opportunists. That's why they used to work for Scarlet Briar.
  3. Mai Trin was in contact with her Aetherblades, who by the way can conceal their airship, as you could see for yourself during the first mission - so she could sneak out and visit them without raising suspicion. Also, who told you Ankka did not have chances to spy on Mai's notes about Joon's system? And how do you know what knowledge Mai did or did not share?
  4. So Revenants can't possess technical knowledge? When you're a steam punk/magi-tech air pirate, you must have technical knowledge to some extent. Also, Mai had Ivan, who is an Engineer, as her closest confidante.

Please stop arguing against things that can easily be deducted by the facts that were presented to us in the story.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
typos
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:
  1. I never said they went there on porpose, but they took the opportunity once they stranded there, as Mai Trin looked Canthan and therefore could blend in easily and tricked Joon into trusting her and took a job at her power plant. (All this was mentioned in the dialogue etc.)
  2. Same as 1: Aetherblades are opportunists. That's why they used to work for Scarlet Briar.
  3. Mai Trin was in contact with her Aetherblades, who by the way can conceal their airship, as you could see for yourself during the first mission - so she could sneak out and visit them without raising suspicion. Also, who told you Ankka did not have chances to spy on Mai's notes about Joon's system? And how do you know what knowledge Mai did or did not share?

Please stop arguing against things that can easily be deducted by the facts that were presented to us in the story.

There is a recording in first zone.  When ship landed near Cantha Mai was missing.  Thats when Ankka first assume the role of captain.

The power plant is the most secure place in cantha.  Hidden deep under ocean.  Only one entrance and guard by tons of golem and human guard.  There were also plenty of engineer inside.

Ankka get in with her huge extrator.   Bypass all jade golem.  Release dragon power turn human into risen???

All these make no sense to me.  But ifbyoubwish to cease the argument. Then so be it.  Don't reply and i will end here =P

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, decease.3215 said:

according to Rama. Jade tech have npthing to do with asua.  Why would an asua pirate able to hack the system so easy?

Where were the Aetherblades at before ending up in Cantha? The Mists. Where can you find anything and everything in fractals? The Mists. It's very likely they encountered it before and learned how it worked thanks to a few fractals. Remember, they had to run hundreds of them to kill fractal versions of themselves just to get the parts needed to repair their own ship.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, RyuDragnier.9476 said:

Where were the Aetherblades at before ending up in Cantha? The Mists. Where can you find anything and everything in fractals? The Mists. It's very likely they encountered it before and learned how it worked thanks to a few fractals. Remember, they had to run hundreds of them to kill fractal versions of themselves just to get the parts needed to repair their own ship.

could be, but i think they mostly target themselves.. or copies of themselves for parts...

• Like 1

Yeah, I really liked it. Although I miss the vanilla conversation cutscenes the storytelling kept evolving in this game. Especially the technical aspect. 
I'm curious about what comes next. 
I had the theory of the elder dragons being crucial for the balance for years and that they aren't inherently evil but got corrupted somwhow. The theory was confirmed in EoD. 
I almost cried at the end of the story even though I'm a man (and men shouldn't cry). 

• Confused 2

Overall, yes, I liked the story. I certainly liked it a lot more than the latter half of Icebrood Saga, which went off the rails for me promptly after Bjora Marches. I have my complaints about it, mainly that I felt they struggled to keep serious scenes serious and kept shoving in jokes at inappropriate times, but I'm pretty satisfied with it. Taimi's weird crush on Gorrik felt out of place. I loved the development of Mai Trin and was genuinely sad when she died. I also loved Annka, and would have loved to see more of her.

My biggest complaint has less to do with the story itself and more to do with how ANet chooses to tell it. Why it has to be so tightly interwoven with action I just don't know. I read much faster than the voice actors talk, and I find myself just running around jumping and doing cartwheels bored while I'm waiting for them to get through it. Plus it makes having to redo story missions a nightmare. I guess they thought 'we paid all this money for voice actors, people are going to listen to them whether they want to or not'.

Anyway, all in all, it's an MMO story; I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking lol. It was enjoyable enough and that's all that matters to me! 

Edited by kettering.6823

3 hours ago, decease.3215 said:

could be, but i think they mostly target themselves.. or copies of themselves for parts...

Which includes all variants. Like one that already broke into Joon's place, but either took the stuff and got out, or ended up all joining Joon and Cantha. So the possibility that they learned it from themselves is there. Though I admit that's still a bit...bizarre, but nobody really knows how the Mists (which may as well be the space/time continuum) work.

11 hours ago, decease.3215 said:

There is a recording in first zone.  When ship landed near Cantha Mai was missing.  Thats when Ankka first assume the role of captain.

The power plant is the most secure place in cantha.  Hidden deep under ocean.  Only one entrance and guard by tons of golem and human guard.  There were also plenty of engineer inside.

Ankka get in with her huge extrator.   Bypass all jade golem.  Release dragon power turn human into risen???

All these make no sense to me.  But ifbyoubwish to cease the argument. Then so be it.  Don't reply and i will end here =P

Re: Recording - You don't know the date of the recording. To me, it was clear that it was old. The Aetherblades had been there for a time, they didn't just arrive.

As for the rest of your post: we know from the real world that even "secure" networks can get hacked. You don't have to be "on location" in order to hack a network. If that was the case, no one would be able to compromise foreign agencies, companies etc.

Please educate yourself on hacking (or "cracking", as programmers call it correctly). :classic_rolleyes: Your assumptions sound very nooby in that regard.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 2

I've really enjoyed it. The first half has a kind of relaxed, down to earth, every day feeling to it, and gave me a lot of time to talk to everyone, read everything, and explore the world around the story. Somewhere along the line I noticed I was getting more and more curious of how it would play out, and in the end I put in a couple of long gaming sessions because I couldn't wait to find out how things ended 🙂 .

What I especially liked were all the additional conversations, written texts, and recordings all over the place, that gave you back stories or additional infos on character actions and motivations. They nicely rounded out the story, sometimes filled gaps that I assume were left out of the main path to not "torture" those that don't care for the story, and some even got me emotionally involved. I vividly remember talking to Ivan after finding him with Gorrik in Arborstone, and talking to him there, even though it was just a small side conversation, really left an impression.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Re: Recording - You don't know the date of the recording. To me, it was clear that it was old. The Aetherblades had been there for a time, they didn't just arrive.

As for the rest of your post: we know from the real world that even "secure" networks can get hacked. You don't have to be "on location" in order to hack a network. If that was the case, no one would be able to compromise foreign agencies, companies etc.

Please educate yourself on hacking (or "cracking", as programmers call it correctly). :classic_rolleyes: Your assumptions sound very nooby in that regard.

Actually all recording in the first zone are linked to one another.  As of when they were trapped in the mist.  We do hear from eatherblade in season four.  

"By 1330 AE, the Elonian Alehound Crew of corsairs managed to steal an aethership during one of their seaborne raids"

Which means they did not spend long period of time in Cantha.

in real world a sever can be hacked.  And i do know how it work..but a reactor under sea.  Neither Joon nor Mai aee capable of shut off the defense before sound the alarm(this is exactly what happened in the story)

plus the reactor is not any server.  It is a giant undersea base.  With plenty of real human inside.  (We encounter plenty of engineer and risen)

Several asua have admit that jade tech is way advance comparing to asura tech.   So is Ankla world best engineer?  Or is she the leader of inquest?    I mean if she could hack through the most secured facility in the entire Cantha.  She could take full control of any asua city with ease.

remember Joon single handed invent the jade tech.  This a quote from her husband.   Basically Ankka walknin carry a huge extrator.  Bypasd all security and human guard.  Remove admin from the most secure system.   And turn all golem hostile... While Joon get defeat by her own creation..Mai even with passcode need someone to distract the golem....

all these make no sense to me.  When Gorik talk about Ankka he never mentioned that Ankka is amazing scientist....

p.s. hacking is basically using loophole.. Or DNS flood target server.   It is not magic....  You might have think too high of it...

Edited by Forum Moderator.3074
formatting
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, decease.3215 said:

Actually all recording in the first zone are linked to one another.  As of when they were trapped in the mist.  We do hear from eatherblade in season four.  

"By 1330 AE, the Elonian Alehound Crew of corsairs managed to steal an aethership during one of their seaborne raids"

Which means they did not spend long period of time in Cantha.

in real world a sever can be hacked.  And i do know how it work..but a reactor under sea.  Neither Joon nor Mai aee capable of shut off the defense before sound the alarm(this is exactly what happened in the story)

plus the reactor is not any server.  It is a giant undersea base.  With plenty of real human inside.  (We encounter plenty of engineer and risen)

Several asua have admit that jade tech is way advance comparing to asura tech.   So is Ankla world best engineer?  Or is she the leader of inquest?    I mean if she could hack through the most secured facility in the entire Cantha.  She could take full control of any asua city with ease.

remember Joon single handed invent the jade tech.  This a quote from her husband.   Basically Ankka walknin carry a huge extrator.  Bypasd all security and human guard.  Remove admin from the most secure system.   And turn all golem hostile... While Joon get defeat by her own creation..Mai even with passcode need someone to distract the golem....

all these make no sense to me.  When Gorik talk about Ankka he never mentioned that Ankka is amazing scientist....

p.s. hacking is basically using loophole.. Or DNS flood target server.   It is not magic....  You might have think too high of it...

Please unformat your texts before posting them here. Black font on an anthrazite background (I am using the dark theme) is unreadable.

It still makes no sense that to assume they couldn't hack the system. Their hidden base is in Seitung Province, Ankka was Mai's first mate, there were plenty of opportunities for Ankka to prepare her attack.

And as you confirmed, the recordings were of the past, so what is your point?

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Please unformat your texts before posting them here. Black font on an anthrazite background (I am using the dark theme) is unreadable.

It still makes no sense that to assume they couldn't hack the system. Their hidden base is in Seitung Province, Ankka was Mai's first mate, there were plenty of opportunities for Ankka to prepare her attack.

And as you confirmed, the recordings were of the past, so what is your point?

Eh.. How do i unformat my text?   Am on my phone.. No idea how things work =P

I doubt we would reach an agreement on the possibilities of Ankka hack the most secure facilities in Cantha.  Which neither Joon nor Tami are capable of.  Otherwise Joon would just.hack back in.  Which she didn't.  Either she is the evil mastermind or she is incapable of what Ankka just accomplished.

Lers talk about faction.  Tell me.. What do you know of the speaker?  And what of the jade brotherhood?  Do you know anyone from these faction?  Did you eran their trust?

Because in the final fight(meta) they were there help defeating Soo-Won.  

Lets get back discussing the story of EOD.  

• Like 1

I thought the story was fine, although a bit short. It was over as fast as it started, and I guess I was just expecting more. That one's on me, I admit.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how empty the city is. Cantha has been sealed off for what, 140 years? Did the population die off? Where are the city dwellers? Even the loading screen has more people than the city in-game.

Edited by Krexen.9057
grammar
  • Like 3

I was hoping for an epic wrap up to this story.  I was hoping with the time spent during Icebrood that someone was working behind the scenes to really give us an xpac that was meaty.  I wanted a story that really took us through and gave us some twists and turns and characters we could grow with in a campaign that would take us about a month to really get through and enjoy.

Sadly, you gave the equivalent of an hour long drama that presents the problem, the cast and support cast, peaks and then does a quick wrap up.  You even managed to interject alliances with some of the groups we fight along the way in such a way that I didn't even know who Gorrik was talking about "getting on our side" in the war room scene.  That entire interaction never ONCE came up in my playthrough of the story, and if it did, it was mentioned as such a footnote that I never even flagged on it until that point.  There were no missions about building bridges with those groups, or getting to know those key players.  I didn't even get to explore the "redemption" of Trin before she gets written out, nor explore the motivations of AHN-kuh, before her bit wraps up.  I've had flatulence last longer than their storylines.

I really wanted to like our new detective friend more, but even his interactions with us were seemingly neutered to a boat ride, that had most of the meat of that interaction behind optional paths that could be very easily overlooked.  And poor Navan.  Once again, such an important character that barely gets to flex who she was to us, to Cantha, and to the story itself.  Then we have the "big reveal" about Li which was so telegraphed I remember remarking to my wife that I looked forward to his fight right after meeting him the first time.  That should just not be the case.

All that aside, we also have the problem of presenting HUGE and beautiful maps, and instead of giving us a reason to explore them and take in the sights, or even play with more of the new mechanics, you immediately start throwing a million aggro mobs and mini events and super short cool downs.  I was trying to show my wife some of the scenery on each of the first 3 maps and each and EVERY single time I was interrupted by some group of whatevers trying to end my life and getting shouted at over comms about something or someone doing something on a part of the map I was nowhere near.  Why???  It got so frustrating that I just made it a point to blitz the map opening so I could just move on from it because it was obvious i wasn't going to get to actually enjoy it, but that also means that if there was some story or plot point tied to those events, it was completely lost in the noise of the map events itself.

And then we get to "the end" where its not even explained organically how things are going down on the final map, nor is it in any way encouraged to properly map explore on this map as every waking moment is either in prep for the meta or the meta itself.  Worse still, there is nothing that encourages you to do the meta before finishing the story, and you've put more of the story IN that meta.  A story that I couldn't even pay attention to because I'm too busy having to play your open world raid content.  

Let's also talk about how, due to the Star Trek-esque hour long serial format you've taken with this story, every NPC needs to spew pages of exposition to deliver a story in that time frame instead of giving your story a chance to breath, that so much of it gets ignored because the players are forced to deal with this threat right in front of their faces.  Imagine trying to drive along a narrow mountain side road while the person in the car next to you insisted on telling you the entire story of Dune in exquisit detail.  That's what it was like trying to follow this story.  Its just not gonna happen well.

Its obvious y'all tried.  It is.  Some of the dialog was fun and when io had a moment to catch some of it, I found it to be fun, but then it made me mad when I realized how much of it never came across by the end.  The meta issue being what it is has not made the wrap up to the story feel any better and lordy that jumping mechanic with Aurene's "help" is just borked.  It took me so far out of that last fight that I just wanted all the NPCs to hush so I could get it over with, which I'm sure wasn't your intention.  

Was this better than how y'all did Primordus and Jormag?  Yeah.  But not by much.  The characters didn't have enough time to grow on me, and the old faces didn't play much of a role if at all.  We still rely on a few magic bullets and as a story, it was far too anemic to be worthy of an expansion.  I want to like it, but as its own thing, its just too little.  Maybe on another account or toon that is playing this entire thing as one HUGE story, it will "feel" better, but...for now, in this moment its just missed the mark as it stumbled over its own tail.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

An Asura should never be impressed by or at least admit to being impressed by Human creations. New Kaineng is nice but it is no Rata-Sum and the Commander if they are Asura should be fast to point that out. but this is not the only time in the story that Liberties with the lore around the races.

This Games most loyal fan base are the people who came here from The Original Guild Wars And We love Tyria and the lore around it we also love the Established lore of the races we picked for our Characters. I would Think and hope that the Writers share that same love.

The short Let our Charr, Asura , Norn and Silvari be what they are. And respect it more than a little flavor text on a boat

Edited by dusanyu.4057
  • Like 8
  • Confused 2