Can we PLEASE have a way to turn down the flashy visuals?!

gem.9038

This game has always suffered from visual clutter but it's just getting worse as elite specs become more flashy and new enemies getting more complex. Heck I can't even see bosses 99% of the time or their ground based orange AOE's cause of all the visual junk. The "Limit particle effects" checkmark doesn't do squat. I mean... just look at the screenshot. I'm zoomed all the way out and on a full size Norn fighting a huge Charr boss. I sure as heck can't see him or me! We need a slider that effects culling of particle effects, attack impact light bursts, other players spells, others ground based aoe's, etc. 

https://i.imgur.com/T3tB3t7.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 3

Players have been asking for this for, oh...years now... (This isn't the definitive thread on it - others have popped up over the years - but this is the longest-running and most recent.)

It seems like every time players beg for this, ArenaNet's response is, "What!? Can't hear you over the disco ball strobe lights we're adding to the game! That's what you guys wanted, right!? 🤪"

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Zera Allimatti.2541 said:

I get that some people are photosensitive, but why deliberately put yourselves in harms way for a game?

Well for me (and most people making these threads) it's not about photosensitivity - it's purely about reducing visual clutter. It's not that my eyes hurt, but it's just annoying to distinguish models/effects after a certain saturation of effects has been reached.

I've actually reverted to zooming back into my character on certain meta bosses. I lose a measure of situational awareness (for instance being zoomed in on the Echovald meta boss means I don't know where the junk piles are until I turn my camera around and look), but it literally culls out more disco ball effects madness on the periphery.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just want to esho the OP.

I really want to be able to turn off othwr player skills. In a squad of 50, you can't see anything but flashy colours.It makes boss fights extra difficult because seeing cues is almost impossible. 

Edited by Taygus.4571
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Not disagreeing nor agreeing. Just pointing out that, you are not fully zoomed out in that image. Unless someone owns an over sized mech. Also it's not just the players, that boss and arena have so much particle clutter going on at once. Especially towards the end of the fight.

• Confused 5

On 3/18/2022 at 11:55 PM, circuitnerd.5863 said:

This game has always suffered from visual clutter but it's just getting worse as elite specs become more flashy and new

Try playing a mechanist engineer.

I'm convinced the AI for the jade mech is designed to place the thing in whatever spot is best suited to blocking your view.

Even out of combat - it's a challenge to try and get a screenshot of your own character because the Jade Mech always wants to stand in front of you.

Add that to all the other clutter issues. Essentially massive visual clutter combined with 'what the bleep with this camera'...

• Like 2

Try lowering 'Character model limit' and 'Character model quality'.

It will not change anything about your character model. You will however see less other people and less details about them. It might help a bit.

Edited by Yanosh.2631
  • Confused 2

56 minutes ago, Kichwas.7152 said:

Try playing a mechanist engineer.

I'm convinced the AI for the jade mech is designed to place the thing in whatever spot is best suited to blocking your view.

Even out of combat - it's a challenge to try and get a screenshot of your own character because the Jade Mech always wants to stand in front of you.

Add that to all the other clutter issues. Essentially massive visual clutter combined with 'what the bleep with this camera'...

Welcome in the world of follower's. Although the Jadebot is huge and probably lasts forever before it dies. The mech thus probably wins in terms of annoying Follower-pets who ruin screenshots xD.

12 minutes ago, Yanosh.2631 said:

Try lowering 'Character model limit' and 'Character model quality'.

It will not change anything about your character model. You will however see less other people and less details about them. It might help a bit.

But this sadly does nothing about the skill-effects of all the players. And you can't lower them to max, when you play raids, what is so annoying ...

Edited by Fuchslein.8639
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

you might need to adjust your fov slider, cause when i zoom out all the way during the renyak fight i can see the entire arena lmao. his attacks are REALLY easy to tell. Even with the echovald boss, which has WAY more effects, and a lot more ground targets, theyre still easy enough to see

I agree that fights often turn into glowing balls of light in immediate melee range of the boss so actual animation tells get obscured sometimes, but i feel like with all of the big bosses its no problem to see all the ground targets etc. 
maybe setting player model count to low helps as well, both with performance and visibility

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

Also visual clutter is making it borderline impossible to learn harder fights. I was lucky enough to learn an easier strike for turtle when there wasn't a clusterkitten of whatever shinies people wore and many, many aoe effects. When I tried the same strike with a different group my eyes were melting, I think I would've quit strikes altogether if that group was my first one. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

Welcome in the world of follower's. Although the Jadebot is huge and probably lasts forever before it dies. The mech thus probably wins in terms of annoying Follower-pets who ruin screenshots xD.

They could make a killing on the gem store by selling a skin for the Jade Mech that made it 1/4 - 1/3 of it's current size... 🙂

• Like 4

Anet could save themselves the time and money to design bosses equal or below the size of a Charr/Norn and just just put the generic character model in their place, since you usually cannot see them anyway becaue all the visual clutter. I remember doing the  Istan Meta so many times back in the days but there were bosses I just never knew how they looked like.

But Anet listen sometimes. I just found out that you can disable the visual effects of Aurora and Co since November. This motivates me actually work on them :).

• Like 2