Please remove the ability to place the target marker on allies.

I have no reason to target an ally. It's frustrating when I'm in the middle of a team fight and someone on my team wants to spam the target market on an ally, preventing me from properly being able to focus my kill target. Keep the target marker function for enemies but replace the ability to put it on your allies with being able to put different raid markers on team members. It would help pug coordination immensely and, in my opinion, match quality overall.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Actually is really useful to target an ally. For example let's say an ally is downed right next to a downed enemy and you want your team to focus the ress if you put a target on your ally it's easy for everyone to take the right target to interact with.

In the past these kind of things were pretty common ^^

Edited by montecristo.1324
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On 4/4/2022 at 2:20 AM, montecristo.1324 said:

Actually is really useful to target an ally. For example let's say an ally is downed right next to a downed enemy and you want your team to focus the ress if you put a target on your ally it's easy for everyone to take the right target to interact with.

It might be useful in this one niche scenario, but every single time I've been targeted it's because my teammate was blaming his allies for something or another. Having the target over my head is really annoying and the only way to get it off is to target something/someone else. There needs to be an option in the settings to just not have the target display for you. That, or remove that function from sPvP like OP suggested. Targeting an ally is just rude plain and simple.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

A mesmer did this to me in unranked when I was on my side node weaver. He targeted me and demanded I support mid where they kept dying. He obviously didn't know the difference between a weaver and tempest yet was absolutely irate. After targeting me, he went on an abusive verbal spree on team chat and mapchat. I stayed silent and just continued playing. 

After that match, I got on my main mesmer and kept Qing unranked until I got him on the opposing team. 

So satisfying to troll gank the guy from spawn and /laugh after each kill. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

The ally targeting when someone wants to flame a teammate also messes up your ability to port away when you get focused and want a quick faraway target to port to. 

I've had that happen a few times and boy was I livid.

Edited by Kuya.6495
  • Confused 1

On 4/4/2022 at 8:20 AM, montecristo.1324 said:

True but why does it have to be shared, why can't there by a green/blue target for allies and a red one for enemies? Also there should be a "drop/remove target" bind, for both the team target and the personal target.

Edited by agrippastrilemma.8741

Often people use target ally as the same as the confused reaction on the forums. As a way of invalidating another player.  But like others have said, I still use it and it's even more useful for specter in a bloated fight to help retarget allies. 

But still, I focus allies as well to indicate a push and that we should follow them. It's not that great really and I'd prefer chat macro shortcuts for these things like in some other competitive games. F6-f8 (going home, going mid, going far, for instance)

• Confused 1

On 4/4/2022 at 5:05 AM, Cozy Winter.2046 said:

I have no reason to target an ally. It's frustrating when I'm in the middle of a team fight and someone on my team wants to spam the target market on an ally, preventing me from properly being able to focus my kill target. Keep the target marker function for enemies but replace the ability to put it on your allies with being able to put different raid markers on team members. It would help pug coordination immensely and, in my opinion, match quality overall.

The main purpose of the target function is to direct attention. It seems weird that you cannot think of a reason to target an ally, but trust me there are many: from calling out overextending to call people to revive, to indicate incoming smokefield for stealthing...

Trolls will find a way to grief with any tool they possibly can, so of course they are trolling with the target aswell. People draw d*cks on the minimap, write dumb sh*t in the chat, people misuse the targeting, spam emotes... following this logic we could campaign to remove literally everything that helps communication between players. As long as a tool has potential to be used for good, it's completely out of the quesiton for me.

• Like 2

On 4/6/2022 at 4:14 AM, Ovark.2514 said:

It might be useful in this one niche scenario, but every single time I've been targeted it's because my teammate was blaming his allies for something or another. Having the target over my head is really annoying and the only way to get it off is to target something/someone else. There needs to be an option in the settings to just not have the target display for you. That, or remove that function from sPvP like OP suggested. Targeting an ally is just rude plain and simple.

Lol my point was that this is helpful in sPvP, my case scenario is in pvp. 

I understand the frustrating thing that happens at times but it is too important to have a good targeting system.

I would rather add two different targets as suggested, one for allies and one for enemies.

Also some time I target an ally to just inform that he is doing a wrong rotation, for example if he wants to +1 me but I don't need it I target him and usually he understand and turn and go somewhere else.

I was not blaming I was just informing and if you understand the message it's super useful

• Like 1

I think reading this thread the best suggestions i see are:

1. Make a new form of call target but for allies with new key binds. Instead of a target reticle, this one could put a shield icon over friendly targets and have it mean "defend this target". That way you can have both a enemy focus target and a ally defense target.

2. Anet needs to do a better job of quickly punishing toxic behavior in pvp such as using call target to harass team members and spamming ping on map.

Edited by Kuya.6495

I use the target system on allies like baszi points out: to point attention to something.

But also…played a game today and there was a fight just outside of mid node, a 2v3 where we downed 2 of the three enemies  and the enemy guardian had like 25% HP. During this time we had a 3rd person…but he was off in Lala land capping the middle node. Me and the guy I was with were completely burnt on cooldowns so this guardian is able to down both of us, so just to paint the picture: It was a 2v3 with 4 total people in downstate and this guardian at 25% health.

Now, I’m in downstate so I obviously target our ranger because check this out right: if we die and the 2 enemies rally off our death, it completely invalidates this rangers 20 seconds spent trying to take the node rather than help in our 2v3 and secure the downs.

We still won the game, but you see this is why and when people get targeted…it’s catastrophic human failures like this that lead to game throws, which obviously will make your teammates piping mad, and if you are the cause of that failure, because you were oblivious to what went wrong it's gonna appear toxic to you.

I have had people target me before on the rare occasion…I always ask why. If the reason is valid I don’t complain and I try to get with whatever the program is. I’ve had bad targets on me where I also just ignore their reasoning. For example maybe like a year ago… middle fight gets wiped, I flee back to home where there is a warrior there 1v1ing someone. He instantly targets me and says “leave.” So you know…I understand this call…but also our team wiped, and we need a regroup so you’re gonna get my plus whether you like it or not. At this point the guy got toxic “bleh why u stay noob blah blah!” I even explained some point afterwards why I pluses him and he still complained.

So I’m not saying target system can’t be improved, but it’s like Baszi points out. It is a fast form of communication and that's not the problem at all…the issue is that people need to go and see the wizard. 

Edited by JusticeRetroHunter.7684
  • Like 1

I honestly wish more people use SHIFT + T rather than CTRL + T, it is far more useful than the T imo for a quick audio notification to all players that an ally has been tagged or an enemy, This will let your team know if someone needs healing or someone needs to be targeted.

And... it doesnt stay on the target! The big cross hair enfuriates me every time i see it as it does block up the screen ( not by much but enough to be noticeable, i prefer a clean screen )

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 1:53 AM, Kuya.6495 said:

I think reading this thread the best suggestions i see are:

1. Make a new form of call target but for allies with new key binds. Instead of a target reticle, this one could put a shield icon over friendly targets and have it mean "defend this target". That way you can have both a enemy focus target and a ally defense target.

2. Anet needs to do a better job of quickly punishing toxic behavior in pvp such as using call target to harass team members and spamming ping on map.

It doesn't have to be a different bind, let's say you click on an ally and you press your "call target" bind, he gets a green/shield/whatever marker above his head, but if you click on an enemy and press the same bind he gets a normal red marker instead.

• 4 months later...

> You die
> You give up
> I come to the rescue on my white horse in my shining armor
> I target your sorry kitten to tell you, very fast, "look sharp, I'm here to res you"
> You can use your downed skills in a clever way now, knowing you're about to get ressed

> I'm pressured AF and about to die
> Kiting for my life
> My dumb kitten is running across the whole arena like a headless chicken
> The support shows the patience of a saint, calls target on me
> "OH WAIT I HAVE A SUPPORT AND HE KNOWS MY STRUGGLE"
> Run towards my support
> My support can now heal me, and now we're ready for round 2

> I'm running around the map
> Teammate calls target on a very pressured enemy, very close to me
> He's in range and I can totally kill him with a single skill
> But I don't notice the target
> Target is outside of my FOV, I'm totally letting him run away for free
> The smart teammate calls target on me to wake me up, then again on the enemy
> "Wait what, why do I have a target on... OH ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)"
> I secure the kill my teammate wanted all along, thanks to his smart usage of the targeting system

These are all things that happened to me, and it's the fastest way to coordinate with randoms. Sometimes you are the random, sometimes the random is someone else; just use the system properly and the random will become your buddy. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/8/2022 at 9:18 PM, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

I use the target system on allies like baszi points out: to point attention to something.

But also…played a game today and there was a fight just outside of mid node, a 2v3 where we downed 2 of the three enemies  and the enemy guardian had like 25% HP. During this time we had a 3rd person…but he was off in Lala land capping the middle node. Me and the guy I was with were completely burnt on cooldowns so this guardian is able to down both of us, so just to paint the picture: It was a 2v3 with 4 total people in downstate and this guardian at 25% health.

Now, I’m in downstate so I obviously target our ranger because check this out right: if we die and the 2 enemies rally off our death, it completely invalidates this rangers 20 seconds spent trying to take the node rather than help in our 2v3 and secure the downs.

We still won the game, but you see this is why and when people get targeted…it’s catastrophic human failures like this that lead to game throws, which obviously will make your teammates piping mad, and if you are the cause of that failure, because you were oblivious to what went wrong it's gonna appear toxic to you.

I have had people target me before on the rare occasion…I always ask why. If the reason is valid I don’t complain and I try to get with whatever the program is. I’ve had bad targets on me where I also just ignore their reasoning. For example maybe like a year ago… middle fight gets wiped, I flee back to home where there is a warrior there 1v1ing someone. He instantly targets me and says “leave.” So you know…I understand this call…but also our team wiped, and we need a regroup so you’re gonna get my plus whether you like it or not. At this point the guy got toxic “bleh why u stay noob blah blah!” I even explained some point afterwards why I pluses him and he still complained.

So I’m not saying target system can’t be improved, but it’s like Baszi points out. It is a fast form of communication and that's not the problem at all…the issue is that people need to go and see the wizard. 

LoL!

I’ve had that experience, maybe with the same warrior. Only I complied and left, only to see him lose the 1v1. Wasn’t good for the team, but was perversely satisfying.