Griffon mount coming to WoW

4 minutes ago, Towatha.4671 said:

The new expansion was announced and it looks like they're stealing the griffon mount concept from gw2. 

Should WoW be able to 'steal' this idea and adopt it as their own? I'm guessing this idea wont just stop with the Griffon concept.

If you think Griffon is a GW2 Original concept I have questions...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 4

10 minutes ago, Towatha.4671 said:

The new expansion was announced and it looks like they're stealing the griffon mount concept from gw2. 

Should WoW be able to 'steal' this idea and adopt it as their own? I'm guessing this idea wont just stop with the Griffon concept.

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery i guess.

But honestly, a dragon doing a barrel roll isn't really something Anet can patent. And Blizzard literally built itself slightly tweaking existing ideas. Its what they do.

Edited by Ashgar.3024
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Xerxez.7361 said:

If you think Griffon is a GW2 Original concept I have questions...

Where was it used first?

2 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Mmos have been stealing each other’s ideas for a very long time. Best of luck to them - I’ve no issue with spreading the fun

What I love about mounts in GW2 is that they feel original and alive. It shows GW2 ideas has been ground breaking in the MMO genre. 

Seems strange that a slightest of ideas stolen between Sainsburys and Morrisons create a huge lawsuit, but in MMOs it's just taken on the chin. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

Just now, Towatha.4671 said:

Where was it used first?

What I love about mounts in GW2 is that they feel original and alive. It shows GW2 ideas has been ground breaking in the MMO genre. 

Seems strange that a slightest of ideas stolen between Sainsburys and Morrisons create a huge lawsuit, but in MMOs it's just taken on the chin. 

When GW1 was successful, free to play models were adopted by multiple mmos and henchman became a more popular addition as well. GW2 dynamic events have been utilised in other mmos and I’m pretty sure if we analysed it enough, GW2 has borrowed from other mmos.

The fact that games do it, for the sake of our entertainment (as well as financial gain) is not something I regard as an issue these days. I don’t play WoW so don’t begrudge their players the right to use a griffon - something that’s prob been used in games before anyway. Also, I thought WoW had a griffon mount?

4 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

I did not play WOW that much, but did they not already have a Griffon mount?

So saying they steal it escpecially from gw2 is quite of strange.

1 minute ago, Randulf.7614 said:

When GW1 was successful, free to play models were adopted by multiple mmos and henchman became a more popular addition as well. GW2 dynamic events have been utilised in other mmos and I’m pretty sure if we analysed it enough, GW2 has borrowed from other mmos.

The fact that games do it, for the sake of our entertainment (as well as financial gain) is not something I regard as an issue these days. I don’t play WoW so don’t begrudge their players the right to use a griffon - something that’s prob been used in games before anyway. Also, I thought WoW had a griffon mount?

The Griffon art I'm sure is not something new, but the mechanics of diving and gaining momentum is something I thought was specific to GW2. It surely is a 1st for WoW.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Towatha.4671 said:

I tend to agree more on other posters, imitation is the most sincere flattery.

But if you say stealing, the dragon dashing animation is EXACTLY the same as that of skyscale. Folded wings and spinning, out of all other movement to signify dashing, this is what they come up with.

Also shows how innovative and fun PoF mounts are when other MMOs follow the same formula.

Edited by phandaria.4891
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

They have one called a Gryphon, I had it when I was playing.  I think the one I had was a reputation mount.  I really wanted it and ran tons of dailies to get it.  Used it all the time!

2 hours ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

WoW's mounts are cosmetic movement speed boosts.  They have no physics.  So, they're adding physics.  But their physics look exactly like the griffon and skyscale.

Here you can see for yourself.

Edited by AliamRationem.5172
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

I'd be very surprised if WoW didn't already have griffon (or gryphon) mounts considering they were one of the original flying units in Warcraft 2, along with green dragons. (Warcraft 1 didn't have flying units.)

4 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

WoW's mounts are cosmetic movement speed boosts.  They have no physics.  So, they're adding physics.  But their physics look exactly like the griffon and skyscale.

That makes more sense. It could be an interesting move considering many discussions on GW2's flying mounts have been pretty evenly split between people who think they're the best an MMO has ever had and people who think they're not real flying mounts and need to work like the ones in WoW to be considered functional at all.

If it's optional and players can choose between the ones the game already has and new versions it could be a good move, if they're changing all of them to work like the ones in GW2 that could be controversial.

1 minute ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I'd be very surprised if WoW didn't already have griffon (or gryphon) mounts considering they were one of the original flying units in Warcraft 2, along with green dragons. (Warcraft 1 didn't have flying units.)

That makes more sense. It could be an interesting move considering many discussions on GW2's flying mounts have been pretty evenly split between people who think they're the best an MMO has ever had and people who think they're not real flying mounts and need to work like the ones in WoW to be considered functional at all.

If it's optional and players can choose between the ones the game already has and new versions it could be a good move, if they're changing all of them to work like the ones in GW2 that could be controversial.

Some players find GW2's mount system too complicated.  They don't want to bind keys and constantly swap between mounts, utilizing a variety of skills and managing endurance bars and cooldowns for best effect.

If you're that sort of player, WoW's system is much better.  You move at the same speed no matter what you do.  There are no endurance bars restricting how far or often you can fly or leap, no aiming leaps or charging bars to change how high you jump, no drifting around corners at high speed or diving in order to move faster, and no reason to switch between mounts except when you want to use one that looks different.  In short, there's no gameplay to it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Towatha.4671 said:

Ummm wow has had mounts and flying mounts well before GW2… So did Anet “steal” the idea of mounts from wow?  And are we’re going to need to dig into which game company owns the rights to a Griffon just to be sure we know who is stealing from who? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

5 minutes ago, Haishao.6851 said:

GW2 mounts are obviously stolen from Ragnarok Online

Raptor 

Jackal

Griffon

Warclaw

Roller beetle

Springer

Skimmer

Siege Turtle

It’s not the looks of the mount ppl react to it’s the mechanics it has. It’s a dragon so it doesn’t even look like the griffon. But it clearly acts like a griffon dive and the skyscale dodge. 

• Thanks 4
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Ipomoea Jalapa.6897 said:

I don't know WoW, but W had Griffons (that is, the original Warcraft).

1 hour ago, Kaliwenda.3428 said:

They have one called a Gryphon, I had it when I was playing.  I think the one I had was a reputation mount.  I really wanted it and ran tons of dailies to get it.  Used it all the time!

51 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Gryphons were actually the first flying mounts (Alliance side only) to appear in WoW - as taxis from day 1, and as player mounts in it's very first expansion.  As others have pointed out, they had no abilities...but the gold sink version flew as fast as the taxis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Towatha.4671 said:

Blizzard has never been known for being particularly innovative in design. They have always made their money polishing and refining other company's ideas.
If this kind of stealing were in any way frowned upon to the point of "not being supposed to do it" the company and it's best games would, quite simply not exists. Diablo, Warcfraft, World of Warcraft, Hearthsone, Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch have always been good games, not based on how they innovated, but instead by making other designer's ideas better.
The company has not made a truly original game since The Lost Vikings.

Or should we stop recognizing the Half-Life series and say that Valve should not have been allowed to "steal" and go back to playing the original Wolfenstien?

Don't be a Stan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1