Very annoying flaw with the game that i wasn't aware of

3 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Your thread title borders on hyperbole.  A major flaw would be something that would be inherently broken with the game and/or something that would prevent most (if not all) players from playing the game or completing content.

There it's now "Very annoying flaw with the game that i wasn't aware of". Doesn't make it any less valid.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I wish I had personal dialogues with the Devs telling me how they read threads and ingest information.  That would be so cool; I'm jealous of you!

Touché. Well it's just people you know, that's how i see things going simple as that. And im not sure the ArenaNet GW2 team can afford to have someone chilling on the forums. It would have to be someone who understands what a good idea is for this particular game. They are not that big. 

Edited by Zeusx.2906
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

4 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

So, again, claiming they aren't telling the truth?  Sad.

I'm not claiming anything. I haven't heard them talk about it, seen anything about it. Furthermore i don't take random people at their word. I trust my intuition.

But this is off topic to be honest. This was always in response to others, my original post doesn't touch on this.

Edited by Zeusx.2906
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Zeusx.2906 said:

I was aware of that. That's a thread, not a suggestions subforum. And if you think that they actually check it thoroughly you are dreaming. 

Just as if you think they give a rats backside about someone who won't fork over money for 1 of the 3 expansions to unlock the mysteries your dreaming.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5

Since Core is free to play, and is essentially the trial version of GW2, nudging players toward buying an expansion in order to unlock masteries doesn't seem so earth-shaking.

It's a pretty light touch compared to what I've experienced in other games. I uninstalled SW:TOR after only a handful of levels because the game was taking every possible opportunity to nag me that the game would be so much easier if I just forked over some cash.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Since Core is free to play, and is essentially the trial version of GW2, nudging players toward buying an expansion in order to unlock masteries doesn't seem so earth-shaking.

It's a pretty light touch compared to what I've experienced in other games. I uninstalled SW:TOR after only a handful of levels because the game was taking every possible opportunity to nag me that the game would be so much easier if I just forked over some cash.

SW:ToR - I just did a one-time payment because I was enjoying the game and that put me at preferred status and the nagging went away.  If you liked it, maybe toss a few bucks at it once?

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

SW:ToR - I just did a one-time payment because I was enjoying the game and that put me at preferred status and the nagging went away.  If you liked it, maybe toss a few bucks at it once?

Yeah, if I had stuck with it long enough to like it, I might have. The nagging felt so persistent I gave up before then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I reject the premise that this is a major flaw with the game.

Agreed. But it's definitely one of those QoL changes that should happen, because it's not self-explanatory what is happening in the background. You should be able to see it.

That goes for new players who don't own an expansion as much as for veteran players who haven't maximized their masteries yet.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Your thread title borders on hyperbole.  A major flaw would be something that would be inherently broken with the game and/or something that would prevent most (if not all) players from playing the game or completing content.

"Very annoying flaw with the game's forum I wasn't aware of", too many people posting hyperboles except I have been too aware of it

I blame all the clickbait titles across the internet teaching this behavior.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

38 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

"Very annoying flaw with the game's forum I wasn't aware of", too many people posting hyperboles except I have been too aware of it

OP changed the thread title after my post.

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Even more annoying than hyperbolic titles to me are the cryptic ones like "The one thing this game needs". Clearly from the same root cause, though.

Okay i'm just going to say it, most of you are completely missing the point. Its not about "if you like it toss a couple bucks at it" and "devs gotta eat too". Its about how its done and its done unbelievably poorly.

Like i said a new player is put in a situation where nothing makes sense. This is objectively bad for the game and should absolutely be fixed. 

We got a couple suggestions throughout this thread, the devs could surely come up with even better solutions. 

Also this guild mate that brought this to my attention initially, he had all the expansions he was just confused as to why the bloody game was obsessing about telling him to do something he clearly can't do. And the game makes no attempt to explain what the hell is going on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

14 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Considering masteries was introducded with hot it make sence to have to do an expansion to unlock masteries.

It makes absolutely zero sense the way it works currently in the game. Put yourself in the new players shoes and you'll easily see what a scuffed mess this part of the game is. Core game masteries should auto unlock as soon as an expansion is bought on that account. Simple as that. You should never have to mess up the story content in order to circumvent a design flaw. We all want GW2 to be as good as it can be do we not?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Considering masteries was introducded with hot it make sence to have to do an expansion to unlock masteries.

That part is fine. Spamming people with notification messages is not. There needs to be a way to turn those off because there are other places in the game where it spams those as well. Popping up and giving some instructions on using a new thing is fine but there needs to be a "don't show this again". They should have kept the old hints system which worked like this and in case you didn't actually read the hint but still want to read it at a later time there was the hint panel that contained all the hints for reviewing at any time.

Edited by Khisanth.2948
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DD39C89C-1C46-4F28-BDB7-49 said:

That would be good, but currently when you get masteries pop-up - I don't think you're getting shards, bar is just full and you're actually wasting all experience earned during that.

You get them, the bar just doesn't move. Any time you're not training a mastery you get them too if all your bars are full, and XP isn't going anywhere you get shards. Because the bar doesn't move there's no real way to know for sure, except watching. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

You get them, the bar just doesn't move. Any time you're not training a mastery you get them too if all your bars are full, and XP isn't going anywhere you get shards. Because the bar doesn't move there's no real way to know for sure, except watching. 

It was probably changed with 2020 update as quoted in following post.

Of course I can't test it now, as I unlocked masteries long ago.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

There needs to be a way to turn those off because there are other places in the game where it spams those as well. Popping up and giving some instructions on using a new thing is fine but there needs to be a "don't show this again".

Don't show this again!

Totally agree with you. There's quite a few that'lll keep popping up when you gain new skills. First couple of times, understandable. But if you do them on a regular basis, it just starts to get annoying. Gang War meta when you get the siege turtle is a good example. I don't need to be reminded after having done them countless times.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

There are far more annoying flaws than this one, many still there from release. DCs in the middle of instances, especially during cutscenes, events stalling, collection items not dropping correctly or requiring events to pass or fail that rarely do so.

Just last night I was doing Draconis Mons collection and successfully killed Ignus but its heart for the collection didn't drop, I assume because I died just seconds before he did. I still got the chest, but it doesn't drop from the chest. Another collection item you get from him does however. I consider that a more serious flaw.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Zeusx.2906 said:

It makes absolutely zero sense the way it works currently in the game. Put yourself in the new players shoes and you'll easily see what a scuffed mess this part of the game is. Core game masteries should auto unlock as soon as an expansion is bought on that account. Simple as that. You should never have to mess up the story content in order to circumvent a design flaw. We all want GW2 to be as good as it can be do we not?

I was a new player and I too saw this. But it wasn’t annoying or confusing at all. I had not bought the game and felt I was playing the demo version of it.  I chose to buy the game since it was a really good game and I wanted to support the developers of it. And play more of it. I never saw it as an issue. 

but ppl have different experiences of things. If changing it would make it better for some ppl, then by all means I’m all for it. I just find it weird it’s described as such a big issue. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1