Hunting, foraging and mining to get gathering like fishing.

I'd love to see a way to incorporate more concentrated ways or gathering materials like fishing has done.

With fishing power, they could add similar related activities to hunting or foraging. If you bring certain equipment with you can hunt with or locate certain plants. 

Edit:

That's fair that people don't like it, I personally enjoy the whole experience of fishing. Its a great little time kill before meta events if there's water around and just breaks up the pace for me. I haven't felt forced to do fishing yet, even when I had for the Percussive Maintenance achievement to get Amber Trout, I enjoyed it. 

So for me I don't see having something like this harming the game for people who want to focus on certain materials or resource. I agree with the sentiment that it shouldn't be forced as the fishing mini game is quite monotonous  after a while. Though I'd still be interested to see such features be expanded on in the future, as personally I'm a big fan of side content in mmo's and feel it's something GW2 doesn't have a lot of. Of course being a fan of RP it's great having more ways to interact with the world besides combat or hearts. 

All your comments have been interesting to read some good points.

Of course it's just my opinion and I ask that everyone keeps on topic and be respectful and mindful. I love the game as we all do, let's just talk about the game 🙂 

Edited by SirRocket.3516
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

Please no. I would quit gathering if any kind of required minigame was implemented for it due to the large amounts of mats needed for crafting. Fishing is not needed for most crafting so it's more an exception. Also, what exactly would be the point/benefits of implementing such a system?

Edited by Poormany.4507
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

I'm not a fan of mini-games in MMO's.  I also find fishing to be extremely annoying -- almost as annoying as crafting in GW2.  Finally, if ANet were to make mini-games for gathering, they'd feel the need to put desirable stuff behind it like they did with fishing.  No, thanks.

Edited by IndigoSundown.5419
f not d
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, lokh.2695 said:

No. Fishing is mindnumbingly boring and brings nothing to the game except RNG grind and an uninspired minigame.

Unfortunately, this is true. It can be somewhat "fun" if you are on voicechat with your gaming buddies, but hunting for these many RNG drops, especially with the current rewards provided, certainly isn't a fun or "relaxing" activity in the long run. (I do like the mini-game's mechanics, but not the boring wait for a specific catch.)

I know I won't be touching this mini-game for a while now that I have finished all related achievements this past weekend, because everytime I pass by a fishing hole, I feel a cold shower running down my spine... 😵

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Non-Fishing gathering is good the way it is.

If anything, fishing needs to be changed to have nodes dedicated to specific fish, instead of being random. The mini game by itself is already annoying, the RNG on top is just increased waste of time.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, lokh.2695 said:

No. Fishing is mindnumbingly boring and brings nothing to the game except RNG grind and an uninspired minigame.

In your opinion. Some of us find it fun.

That said, gathering is fine the way it is, it does not need changing at all. The proposed ideas would just make QoL worse.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

My brother and I are at the same mastery level and I believe using the same power items, yet he has a difficult time fishing while I do not. We are a couple of old dudes, and I live in a big city with fast, reliable internet, and he lives in a small town with only one choice. Normal play doesn't usually have us experiencing the game differently, though my load times are much faster than his. Fishing though is very frustrating for him.

So I can see love/hate varying by each player's experience of the minigame.

I'd be okay if it had never been introduced. Staring at the pong-bar mashing 2-3 isn't all that engaging.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lottie.5370 said:

In your opinion. Some of us find it fun.

That said, gathering is fine the way it is, it does not need changing at all. The proposed ideas would just make QoL worse.

Agreed.  I enjoy fishing but I don't want more mini games before I mine a node. It's fine as is, leave it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's bad enough that fishing is required for elite wep collections. Having finished mine, I'll most likely never touch it again unless some other unrelated achievement requires it. It seems to me that with EoD masteries they were scraping the barrel of ideas anyway. I like playing GW2 not a farming simulator.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/15/2022 at 6:30 PM, SirRocket.3516 said:

I'd love to see a way to incorporate more concentrated ways or gathering materials like fishing has done.

With fishing power, they could add similar related activities to hunting or foraging. If you bring certain equipment with you can hunt with or locate certain plants.

You already have simple gathering and fishing with a minigame depending on what you want to do. tbh I don't see a point to suddenly try and unify 2 different things. Maybe if "hunting" would be something entirely new and different than both.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1

Does no one realize this is already in game?

Foraging is gathering plant nodes.

Hunting is killing the yellow mobs for red meat and poultry.  You also had to hunt as part of getting crafting to 500.

Mabe this is the OP's joke?  It is interesting to see how many people are making points against putting something in the game that is already in the game.  Are there any arguments for removing them from the game?

• Haha 1

Guild Wars 2 never had been strong in the crafting and gathering. Since we recently had a thread where  someone asked about older games we playd: Vanguard - Saga of Heroes ... had a nice crafting system. If I remember correctly you had different steps where you added different components. And it could fail. And the crafting level and the timing (player skill) and the quality of the added compoments ... affected the quality of the crafted item.

Here we stay just at a crafting station put in the number and use the "craft" button and it crafts the stuff. And most stuff is just cheap to the point that lower tier items can be more expensive cause the high end areas where most people are playing and salvating stuff from ... mean a huge flood of mithril and other materials in that tier - so the biggest supply for them at the market.

With a huge overhaul (or better: a 2nd system besides the current one) ... this could work. Like ... having to craft own gathering tools and then a mini game ... to get luck to get some rare mats each tier -  that you can add for an added +x percent of the stats of an item. Where the timing and a "critical success" can add another stats boost.

Then again This would be too much work. People in the end would still dedice do not like it and buy the finished stuff at the trading post instaed of playing crafting. Aaaaaand ... we can't just have such a thing for the end products (items/gear) - cause we have a limit by the philosophy of the game: Ascended is the highesd and legendary same stats + free stats swapping.

Since legendaries always will be the best ... even if you had different tiers in between added ... people eventually would just get legendariefs. Mabye food ... potions? Yeah ... but very limited options there. They do not need ore lol.

Let's just face the truth: This game has strenghts in other areas: The story, being able to do everything without having to grind for gear first (for most stuff random exotic gar is fine). Achievements and other side actitiviets like the collections, JPs and stuff. And PvP/WvW. (Okay not really that "strong". But a nice distraction every now and then lol.)

Crafting and gathering is pretty week compared to other MMORPGs. And it will stay like that. Makes no sense trying to force improvements here. The stuff with the research notes (I guess only made as an attempt to improve value of lower materials at the trading post) - is already pretty annoying.

The fishing ... is nice for the daily stuff. Nothing more. You don't sit there and do fishing cause fishing itself is fun. (Filling up the collection can be fun. But not the fishing itself.)

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

I don't mind that crafting is more simplified in this game. If I wanted a larger time sink and complex mechanics for crafting, I would play FF14 where each crafting profession is its own class with gear and skills to use in the crafting mini-game. Even then you are still crafting hundreds of useless vendor trash so the end result is the same.

Edited by kokocabana.8153
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1