Why can't we when in combat?

Mount our mounts

This always seemed like a strict limitation to me.

So many times I just want to get to where I am going, but a mob hits me with a feather and now I can't mount unless I fight off a horde of trash mobs or run away and wait sometimes up to 30 seconds.

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 22

probably because that's a classic MMO mechanic and maybe to make the open world exploration still a little bit challenging. Like just look at those traps the Forged lay in PoF, if you could mount in combat, you could just instantly mount again and the traps would be absolutely pointless

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

If you could mount in combat, then you'd be able to spam your engage ability. You could start a fight and pull several mobs with ranged attacks, mount up, lure them into a pile, and hit them with an engage. Which would grant you all of the boons your mount skills would grant, on top of a pile up, a knockdown CC, and placing you right on top of them for a heavy followup. If there is no cooldown on the engage, you allow the player to do this endlessly while suffering 0 risk from combat. If there's a cooldown on the engage, you risk having it on cooldown when a player needs it for world quests, or fighting individual mobs - or engaging in pvp.

To top this off, mounting up infinitely would make having a healthbar for the mount pointless. Might as well give the mount infinite health instead, since getting knocked off has no consequence at all when being shot at by several mobs. Mount dies? Just remount, ez.

The only thing you should really complain about is that you can't use mounts in any non-dungeon instances (story lines) except PoF and beyond. I'd love to be able to mount through the Tyria quest line.

And the last thing I'd ask for is a normal horse mount, which you easily unlock in Tyria very early. To help new players get around faster, and for style of course. Its ability would be a short charge for an engage which grants swiftness for several seconds. Its movement ability would just be a gallop which drains endurance. Tada. Instantly makes the game much more accessible to new players, without just giving them a raptor. (Also, why can't we have horses?... They exist in the lore.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Mount our mounts

So many times I just want to get to where I am going, but a mob hits me with a feather and now I can't mount unless I fight off a horde of trash mobs or run away and wait sometimes up to 30 seconds.

Think about the implications of doing this. Yes, in your situation it doesn't mean much, but for combat as a whole, being able to mount while in combat would trivialize it. Oh, I am about to die, let me mount for another HP bar, massive dodges and kiting ability etc etc. Add in that mounts have a number of attacks and CC on top of the disengaging and kiting ability, so now my toon can dish out even more DPS and CC on very short CD etc etc.

This would change the way the whole game is played and I think you are trivializing it because you feel inconvenienced and are not thinking about the after effects of this single change.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:

Think about the implications of doing this. Yes, in your situation it doesn't mean much, but for combat as a whole, being able to mount while in combat would trivialize it. Oh, I am about to die, let me mount for another HP bar, massive dodges and kiting ability etc etc. Add in that mounts have a number of attacks and CC on top of the disengaging and kiting ability, so now my toon can dish out even more DPS and CC on very short CD etc etc.

This would change the way the whole game is played and I think you are trivializing it because you feel inconvenienced and are not thinking about the after effects of this single change.

Kinda a moot point, considering we already have a class with a second healthbar just one f1 away.

I agree mount skill spamming might become an issue (Infinite alacrity spam from a mechanist would be my first glitch/abuse due to jackal barrier) - but what if Anet implemented longish cooldowns to counterbalance mount engage skills?

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

In PvE leaning games, mounts are always better than combat specific mobility skills. To prevent this from being an issue, mounts are banned from being summoned in combat. This creates a divide between combat mobility and mounts to where players don't even bother to compare the two.

In PvP leaning games, mounts can act more like separate entities. A player must run towards their parked mount and usually go through an animation to get on or off the saddle. Mount deaths are treated harshly, to punish players for being reckless. It's more of a risk and reward thing. You can mount in combat a lot of the time, but it puts the mount at risk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Quench.7091 said:

In PvE leaning games, mounts are always better than combat specific mobility skills. To prevent this from being an issue, mounts are banned from being summoned in combat. This creates a divide between combat mobility and mounts to where players don't even bother to compare the two.

In PvP leaning games, mounts can act more like separate entities. A player must run towards their parked mount and usually go through an animation to get on or off the saddle. Mount deaths are treated harshly, to punish players for being reckless. It's more of a risk and reward thing. You can mount in combat a lot of the time, but it puts the mount at risk.

As this guy said. In Archeage, a PvP focused game, you can summon your mount to follow you in world. You can mount at any time by hitting the mount button and quickly hopping on (if you're close enough), but having your mount out puts it at risk of being killed off for five whole minutes. Unless if you pay gold to resurrect it, of course - at respawn.

Gw2 leans heavily into PvE. Therefore, PvE can't be trivial. If you could mount in combat, you could avoid all encounters, and you could avoid a part of the game that gives it a skill requirement - traversal. That's why PoF has areas where traps disable your mount instantly, but can be avoided with the Sand Jackal, Springer, and air pancake.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bollocks.4078 said:

What if mounting while in combat caused the engage skill to be locked until you're out of combat?

You can still use it soak up damage. It would have to be nerfed the same way necro shroud got nerfed. Any damage not absorbed by the mount goes through to the players HP. Then the turtle would probably have its HP nerfed as well.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Mount our mounts

For the same reason you can't use waypoints while in combat?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

For the same reason you can't use waypoints while in combat?

A mount can't instantly teleport you to a safe city to the whole other side of the map.

Not being able to jump on your mount because a firefly touched you with a feather breaks the flow of movement in the game.

But I know, Arenanet can do no wrong. Every design decision is always perfectly thought out with reason. There's no room for improvement for GW2, as it is a flawless.

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2

You keep talking about how weak all the enemies are, total kitten lightweights utterly beneath your notice, and yet you can't be bothered to press one or two buttons to dispose of them real quick. That's all it takes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, ASP.8093 said:

You keep talking about how weak all the enemies are, total kitten lightweights utterly beneath your notice, and yet you can't be bothered to press one or two buttons to dispose of them real quick. That's all it takes.

I never said they were weak. I'm saying they are completely unimportant mobs that I don't like being forced to fight or run slowly away from (and kiting more mobs) because of a restriction of my movement. Sometimes I just want to get to where I'm going.

what trash mob at level 80+ dies in 1 or 2 button presses?

what if there's 3+ extra mobs within kiting range that also join the fight?

what if your gear is kind of tanky, so it takes even longer to kill these mobs?

Don't forget the 10+ second cooldown after combat is over before you can mount up. Standing there waiting to play the game certainly is fun.

Are we even playing the same game???

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

what if there's 3+ extra mobs within kiting range that also join the fight?

what if your gear is kind of tanky, so it takes even longer to kill these mobs?

Then, I'm afraid, for just a few fleeting seconds, you will have to actually play the game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Westenev.5289 said:

Kinda a moot point, considering we already have a class with a second healthbar just one f1 away.

That second healthbar comes with some major downsides most people conventiently ignore when referring to it.

19 hours ago, Westenev.5289 said:

I agree mount skill spamming might become an issue (Infinite alacrity spam from a mechanist would be my first glitch/abuse due to jackal barrier) - but what if Anet implemented longish cooldowns to counterbalance mount engage skills?

Just the ability to flat out mount and evade damage by flying up, for example (and then landing down and reengaging) is enough to mess the whole combat up. Not to mention, imagine if a whole group of players just continue mounting up in turns to keep the enemy constantly engaged on targets they cannot reach...

You'd have to flat out disable mounts in most major event areas (permanently, because there seems to be no tech to do it only when the event is up).

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Indeed. Staying in combat is one of the most frustrating things for me in this game. Bloodstone fen is the worst. With white mantle mobs. Or at the rats (inquest) in draconis mons. I think some turret kept me in combat. Even when i killed everything. Sometimes before I killed the last mobs another wave have spawned already. They keep you indeed in combat for a half minute. and they follow you across the map for that time. Reason? To make customers angry? I don’t see a good reason why they follow us from 1 to the other side of the map. Just let me do my tasks. Bloodstone fen is scaled for groups. But as a solo player you have a problem. Now with my scourge the problem isn’t that big anymore. I like the build I made. It’s strong. But combat take some time. At least I don’t get killed that often. 

Ohw and bitterfrost frontier is also bad. Every player gets his or her own pack of mobs at the berrys. When i see a player 20 meters in front of me gathered the berrys and killed the mobs, when i get their, there spawn new mobs for me.

the spawnsystem in this game is weird. When I need a boss or a mob for an event i have to wait so long. While this annoying creatures spawn 100 times faster. While i don’t need them.  

back in de days when I did silverwastes I was many times the person who got attacked. Even with low toughness. I wanted to keep up in chest farm but the group moved away while I was crippled by mobs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

How to counter the inconvenience of being knocked off your mount and having to deal with being slowed down:

• Raptor can leap over many obstacles, enemies included. Use your leap ability to avoid mobs.
  • Skimmer's hover ability (I think) brings you out of AoE range, and possibly attack too?
  • Jackal's teleport can be used to move past mobs
  • Roller Beetle goes so fast you won't even see the mobs (unless you lose momentum)
  • Skyscale and Griffin can very easily avoid them by getting in the air
  • Siege Turtle has a break bar and you won't get knocked off easily
  • Siege Turtle has a mastery that gives every mount an HP buff
  • LWS4 has mount masteries that give you temporary HP buff, mount stamina recharge
  • Icebrood Saga has a mastery that gives all your mounts stealth

In the event that you  do get knocked off your mount:

• Glider can be used in combat, so you can leap off a ledge and float away
  • Superspeed/Swiftness skills exist
  • Kill the mobs and mount up, probably quicker than kiting them until they get bored

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1