Lower GW1 shop prices

Hello,

I am contacting you for a permanent drop in the prices of the guild wars 1 shop.
I have wanted to buy items in the shop for several years but the prices are psychologically blocking and I am not the only one to think so.

For comparison, the change of character name is 10€, it is the equivalent of the game the witcher 3.

If the prices were divided by 2 it would seem much more reasonable.

https://store.guildwars.com/en

If I write this post, it is to inform you of the community's misunderstanding of gw1's pricing policy.
This reddit conversation summarizes the thinking of many players: https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars/comments/anpsqa/guild_wars_online_store_price_changes_after_the/

Regards,

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, Zaraki.5784 said:

More importantly: why are they wasting resources keeping GW1 on, instead of shutting it for good?

Because the resources aren't wasted. GW1 requires barely any maintenance and is still making them money with box sales and GW1 store purchases. Some of this is due to GW2 players trying to fill out their Hall of Monuments achievements (and get the unique rewards therein), but some of it is just curiosity to see what the first game is like. And then, of course, there are the people who have been playing GW1 since the beginning and simply never stopped.

That said, OP's idea isn't bad. GW1 is ancient, still makes decent money with its entry pricetag, and still attracts new players here and there. Cutting the shop prices at this point might encourage people to flesh out their GW1 accounts since it wouldn't be as senseless to do if it was a bargain investment.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Dropping those prices doesn't have any marketing value though? Many of us don't even think of the GW1 cash shop if we even think about GW1 at all anymore. Maybe they could add an exclusive GW2 item for certain GW1 cash shop purchases? I just don't see much if any value in doing anything with the GW1 cash shop.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Super Hayes.6890 said:

Dropping those prices doesn't have any marketing value though? Many of us don't even think of the GW1 cash shop if we even think about GW1 at all anymore. Maybe they could add an exclusive GW2 item for certain GW1 cash shop purchases? I just don't see much if any value in doing anything with the GW1 cash shop.

When did Gw1 get a cash shop? 😨

• Haha 5
  • Confused 4

3 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

When did Gw1 get a cash shop? 😨

28th July 2006 according to the Wiki.

But even before that they used to sell some extra stuff through the website. I remember looking at some of it when I bought the game (just after Factions was released). I think you could buy the Game of the Year Edition bonus items, and various PvP unlock packs, as well as the campaigns themselves.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Zaraki.5784 said:

More importantly: why are they wasting resources keeping GW1 on, instead of shutting it for good?

Because people still play GW1 and since a lot of them play GW2 as well it makes perfect business sense to keep it going. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

What seems most crazy to me about the pricing of the gw1 store is things like the copies of the game themselves. I bought the complete collection in 2010, when I started playing the series, for £17ish. If it had been £35 like it is now, there isn't a hope in hell I would have paid it, and that was for a game that was then still current.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

I speculate that ArenaNet may make more money by lowering prices as this will incentivize players to actually buy add-ons there.

Lowering prices to increase revenue usually works best with a large potential consumer base. I am not sure that gw1 has that kind of player numbers at this point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Lowering prices to increase revenue usually works best with a large potential consumer base. I am not sure that gw1 has that kind of player numbers at this point.

Thing is they might actually get a bigger player base again if it didn't cost £35. That's very nearly as much money for a very old game as the complete collection of gw2 with a months old expansion.

Edited by Emberfoot.6847
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Zaraki.5784 said:

Because it is the better game of the two and it requires minimal upkeep compared to the monstrosity that is Guild Wars 2.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

On 5/27/2022 at 9:20 AM, Zaraki.5784 said:

Because it was a far better game overall, it was better balanced imo in pve, and a lot less grind mostly. Sadly its pretty dead these days so some content is very hard to do with just AI teammates.

9 hours ago, Friday.7864 said:

GW1 would have to be deeply discounted for me to buy it.
Same for the cash shop if I decided to give it a go, I wouldn't invest too much into a game that's in maintenance mode.

I still have all my retail discs somewhere and all the expansions.. Cantha was so much better.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

• 5 months later...
On 5/26/2022 at 7:20 PM, Zaraki.5784 said:

Heh, there are Korean MMOs with like 100-200 players still up and running out there from 5-10+ years ago. If they can then they mine as well stick around. If they were losing money I'm sure they'd shut down, right?

On 5/27/2022 at 12:00 PM, Vanthian.9267 said:

Because it is the better game of the two and it requires minimal upkeep compared to the monstrosity that is Guild Wars 2.

I agree.  I still play GW1 and use the cash shop  😄    I still enjoy it a lot.  Two professions, skills not based on what weapon.  Ability to choose your main skills.  

• Like 1