Fishing Feedback?

I personally love Fishing in Guild Wars 2 and think it is one of the best new features introduced in End of Dragons.  I have gone into it in a big way, acheived my "Cod Swimming Amongst Mere Minnows " award,  I have four of the five available skiff skins, including the Crescent Canoe, Jade Tech and Winged Reverie types and joined a small guild called Fellowship of Fisherfolk with Isle of Reflection as a Fishing Guild Hall  (with weekly Fishing Tournements and upcoming Skiff Races).

I have also created a fishing clock as a web page, that works on phones and tablets as well as desktops:
GW2 Tyria Fishing MultiClock - includes Cantha, GMT/UTC & Local Time Clocks
(I would be interested in any feedback on it)

What do you think of fishing?
What do you enjoy most about it?
What would you like to change or add to it?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

They've been making small improvements to it here and there, but it still has issues.

- An accountwide tacklebox for lure and bait should be implemented, accessible by any character on an account. You'd still need to keep it stocked, but it'd open up fishing considerably as a leisure activity.
- The Fishing Party buff should stay on a character once attained, meaning you'd get your stacks and then they'd stay for an hour or so regardless of whether you're fishing or not. This would allow you to carry the buff between map changes and free you up to go help with nearby events and objectives without sacrificing your progress. You'd still need to refresh/obtain stacks of the buff by fishing from your boat, but assigning the buff to the character would feel a lot better than chaining it exclusively to the boat.
- Dusk/Dawn fish should have a high drop rate during those five minutes, but also have a small chance of spawning during the day or night.
- The UI should show what kind of bait/lure you're using and how many uses you have left without having to constantly open the hero panel.
- The HP of your boat should retain its upgraded status even when parked (right now it reverts to the pre-mastery default unless you're actively steering)
- Depth charges should be able to be used while fishing. If not, we should be able to wipe out offending mobs beneath our boats with AoE.
- The infinite tonics you can craft from this activity ought to be put in the novelties wardrobe.

So, overall a fun and repeatable activity that I'm willing to sink time into - but it has significant weak points that keep it from feeling intuitive and integrated with the rest of the game.

• Like 14
  • Confused 1

I'm just glad I've finished up all achievements and will never have to do engage in that mini-game again. Perhaps I will find the joy to return to it some time, but for now I am still traumatized by the tedious RNG. 😅

Edit: I do like its mechanics. I just wish there was more to do with the spoils.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 5
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

I love my title and my aesthetic that includes my boat (blc lucky roll) and my lotus fishing rod. 

I enjoy the daily ambergris.

I enjoy the bonhomie amongst the fishers on a map. That includes people offering stacks.

I do not like the mini-game, particularly when my stacks are sufficiently high and my bar can't get any wider. I was hoping to do fishing as an activity while my non-dominant hand is in a cast. I tried to practice using the mouse to do the left and right buttons and don't have the reaction time to do it for when the bar speeds back and forth.

• Sad 2

I'm out here. Fishing in the EoD maps was ok, but everywhere else it was just frustrating with this small epileptic bar. If I have to use special buff food, bonuses and best of all equipment to get a rare chance for something, I'm out. Won't do fishing here anymore, no fun.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

The fishing mechanics remind me of Stardew Valley. So the mechanics were intuitive from the start the moment I casted first time.

Personally, wouldn't mind spending days fishing, but don't like the idea of doing it alone in a quiet server. Fishing in video games is the kind of thing where a group is highly welcome so people can join you in your activity.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I've not been fishing much (partially because when EoD launched I was 1/2 way through making Ad Infinitum so I've been spending most of my time in Fractals) and not seriously made an effort on any of the achievements so I'm not worried about the rare fish yet,  but I like what I've done of it.

It's nice that you can do it anywhere there's water, and I like the little mini game (my least favourite fishing games are the ones where you push 1 button then have to wait for the 1 second window to push it again and that's it). As someone who wasn't that bothered about fishing and has had mixed reactions to it in other games I'm finding it a fun addition to the game.

I do agree that account-wide fishing tackle would be a good addition though. It's annoying when I feel like giving it a go and realise this character has no bait or lures and I'd have to go out of my way to get them, especially since they're likely to be in central Tyria where you need higher fishing power.

4 minutes ago, JayHog.3280 said:

The fishing mechanics remind me of Stardew Valley. So the mechanics were intuitive from the start the moment I casted first time.

It's funny, I've heard a lot of people say that but I got Stardew Valley for the first time last week and I cannot get the hang of fishing for some reason. In GW2 I picked it up relatively quickly, and I certainly see the similarity in the UI but the 1 button control in Stardew is throwing me off, the bar keeps going flying up the screen or bouncing around regardless of whether I tap the button or hold it down.

I'm sure I'll get there eventually, but for first impressions I certainly found GW2's system easier to get used to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

It's funny, I've heard a lot of people say that but I got Stardew Valley for the first time last week and I cannot get the hang of fishing for some reason. In GW2 I picked it up relatively quickly, and I certainly see the similarity in the UI but the 1 button control in Stardew is throwing me off, the bar keeps going flying up the screen or bouncing around regardless of whether I tap the button or hold it down.

I'm sure I'll get there eventually, but for first impressions I certainly found GW2's system easier to get used to.

Yeah, GW2 is easier, it's mostly the UI that feels similar. At least in GW2, you can control the bar a bit easier.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I quit fishing because of the bait and lure thing (at least there is a permanent lure in the gem store now) and having to keep a supply of them in your inventory but I also wonder why I would do it...there doesn't seem to be a lot that you can do with the materials that come from fishing and as far as the activity of fishing is concerned it's not actually relaxing.

Oh and then there's the GUI thing. I really just hate how the skiff works in the GUI. Also sometimes when I weapon swap I accidentally push just below it because I'm concentrating on the fight and then I get this UI instead with the skiff etc. in it. Very annoying. I wish I could hide that just like the novelties on the other side. Or have a GUI extension that keeps it away from the combat stuff entirely.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Arrowmaster.7194 said:

What do you think of fishing?
What do you enjoy most about it?
What would you like to change or add to it?

I have to admit when I first tried it, I thought, "welp, not going to be doing much of this."  But then discovered you can get ambergris from it, so decided to try a collection and found that if you pay attention to bait, time of day, and type of fishing node and you get your fishing power up, its rather fun.  I was really concerned it was going to be a horrible grind to get the ascended and legendary fish, but they drop fairly often (with high fishing power).  Overall, it feels very satisfying.  It may be my imagination, but I am beginning to believe the movement of the fish bar is not completely RNG.  There seems to be set patterns and the more you fish the more you can anticipate the movement and match it.

That said, it definitely needs some quality-of-life fixes.  KEY BINDINGS!  Also, a "fishing mode" that you can turn on--in game or in options--that makes it so when you anchor your skiff you automatically activate the fishing rod would be great.  Definitely would want to be able to turn it off if not actively fishing though.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Did some for the ambergris collection rewards, since that's an effective way to get it for a legendary weapon.

Unless I end up needing more, there's no other reason I'd consider doing it again. It's mind-numbing content worthy of botting.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I spend most of the time fishing; got the title and Spiritwood Fishing Rod. I stopped caring about meta events or instanced content... only fishing, mostly because fishing is highly profitable.

There are some things I would change:

* Separate keybindings for Skiff summon and Fishing Rod.

* Ascended and Legendary fish should have more difficult minigame, so you know that something big is coming.

* Open Access (just like on Siege Turtles).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I wish the buff applied to the rod. That would be cool.

Every fish caught increases the luckiness of the rod. Because it's your lucky fishing rod (realisim!). A lucky rod has better chances at better fish.

The buff will max out eventually (1000 fish maybe?) But it's permanent.

Need low grade fish for something? Buy disposable rods from a vendor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really like fishing.  It's great for days where after dailies I don't want to commit to anything big.  Just pick an achievement to work on, go fish.  I love seeing other skiffs and their use of dyes.  I like the food recipes, the ambergris, and the mini game for something twitchy to do with my keyboard lol.  

Things I'd like to see improved on... tackle box..just add it to the fishing panel, key bindings for skiff (what is it j for the fishing rod?  Muscle memory going there, so I'm not sure), and I'd like to see an option for open access on the skiff as well so I can let anyone join not just by making a group.  Wouldn't mind if I'm out fishing and someone just wanted to hop on and fish at their own risk.  And please drop the limited time fishing buff, sometimes I get dismounted from skiff, and that's really not cool when having to fight mobs and then restart the entire buff. I'd be fine with even like an hour long, go anywhere buff, rather than every single map change.  

I will continue fishing, it's a nice addition that I was not thinking I'd enjoy based on other games and the snore fest that fishing tends to be.  Also I love fishing in guild halls 💜

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Arrowmaster.7194 said:

Thank you everyone for your interesting fishing feedback.  I have not seen any on my fishing multiclock yet?  I would love people to try it and say what they think...

Oh that's clever!  Reminds me, I want an in game icon that shows day, night, dusk/dawn.  Just a simple circle by the time that indicates it with solid, empty, and half circle.  I like to play with local time on so I don't stay up too late, I don't like changing to Tyrian time.

• Like 3

Feedback on the clock:  It's lovely, a great idea, but I can't use it due to the rapidly spinning second hand.  Any rapid rotational movement in my view is terrible for me.  Could be RL ceiling fans, or on screen flickering wings (mini mosquitos, hovering skyscales) or effects orbiting a character.  I think my eyes jitter in an attempt to track the motion and then my stomach rebels.

So unless the second hand can be disabled, I'll have to keep on using the wiki event timer page to track Tyrian/Canthan time.  But I do appreciate the work you put in on this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Oh that's clever!  Reminds me, I want an in game icon that shows day, night, dusk/dawn.  Just a simple circle by the time that indicates it with solid, empty, and half circle.  I like to play with local time on so I don't stay up too late, I don't like changing to Tyrian time.

Thank you for your feedback.  Using the Real Time clock button you get GMT/UTC and local time, so it should still be useful to you.

49 minutes ago, Donari.5237 said:

Feedback on the clock:  It's lovely, a great idea, but I can't use it due to the rapidly spinning second hand.  Any rapid rotational movement in my view is terrible for me.  Could be RL ceiling fans, or on screen flickering wings (mini mosquitos, hovering skyscales) or effects orbiting a character.  I think my eyes jitter in an attempt to track the motion and then my stomach rebels.

So unless the second hand can be disabled, I'll have to keep on using the wiki event timer page to track Tyrian/Canthan time.  But I do appreciate the work you put in on this.

Thank you for your feedback too.  I will add a button to hide the second hand, so that should solve your problem.  Watch this space, I will post when I have updated it. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Donari.5237 said:

I have updated my multiclock for you - so now you can hide a second hand!  

Please clear your browser cache (History -> Clear Recent History -  in Firefox) before reloading the clock, or the CSS file will not get updated.

Summary of what I have changed:

There is new button immediately below the clock which toggles between "Hide Second Hand" and "Show Second Hand".  It is a bit more sophisticated than it might appear at first sight in that it controls TWO second hands. 
1) If you are displaying the Tyrian Clock or Canthan Clock, the new button can be used to hide or show the (fast red) second hand for BOTH of these displays.
2) If you are displaying the Real Time Clock, the new button can be used to hide or show the (black) second hand for that display.
I have implemented this facility using storage, so once you have hidden a second hand, it should stay hidden, even if you reload the page (unless you clear your history for the page) on that particular device.  If you load the webpage from a different device, then both second hands will initially be displayed, until you hide one or both of them.
I have also updated my help info to include the new button.

More feedback from anyone, very welcome!

I am glad that others find it interesting a d hope that ANet can monetize the heck out of it so that it merits further development for you....

But I dislike it and am bummed that there are now circles labeled for fishing floating in the waters of my favorite non-EoD maps. Those maps have had the aesthetics that made me love them lessened.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I am glad that others find it interesting a d hope that ANet can monetize the heck out of it so that it merits further development for you....

That's not how it works.

Worse fishing than Stardew Valley which has an exactly 1 person dev team. Unacceptably bad.

17 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

as far as the activity of fishing is concerned it's not actually relaxing.

This is  my biggest problem with it. These devs  make everything "gogogogo"

•  Unrewarding,
  • Lacks QoL intentionally to sell it to us later 
  • Extremely bad UI
  • Too simple, no difficulty
  • There might as well be a single fish. If I catch an ascended or legendary fish I don't even notice because they all "feel" the same.
  • Fishing with another person is stressful and not relaxing. The slowest person holds up everyone. I can't AFK without unsyncing my pools with everyone else.
Edited by Kozumi.5816
  • Like 2