What happened to respecting the customer's time?

Who's idea was it to make content that takes more than an hour to complete, yet must be completed in one sitting?  I hear that most casual gamers are parents, work full time jobs, and some even have social obligations.  Some folks have less than an hour a day, perhaps longer on their weekends.  I thought Gw2 was trying to be casual friendly.   The dungeons, fractals, strike missions, even most HoT metas all seem to respect player's who have limited playing time.  
The more recent metas seem to be a time consuming slog, oh sure in the moment there is plenty to do, but it just keeps going on and on. 
At some point lengthening content does not increase player engagement, it is just filler, just a time sink.  
I get that you don't want players to speed-run content, and you don't want them farm an event to the midpoint and then leave. If that is the case then simply don't make such long segments of content.

P.S.  Also why does my social media feed have an article about a Gw2 achievement only obtainable from failing an event?  Apparently you have newer players who want the event to succeed and veteran players are getting annoyed at them.  Lesser rewards for a failure state are fine, but tying achievement completion to event failure is divisive. At that point you have players working against each other while playing Player vs Environment content.  You have players "losing" to other players in PvE content and getting their time wasted, often repeatedly, often with extremely vocal frustration. Seems like a bad thing.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 13
  • Sad 1

About your PS:  The required failure state has been slammed hard in these forums from pretty much the moment it showed up in game, especially as the exact same issue on the exact same event rose back in the early legendary weapon collections.  And ANet posted on May 27 that the fix will be in on June 7.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/115654-updates-coming-to-zhaitan-legendary-collection-step/?tab=comments#comment-1670827

So while the complaint is certainly valid, and it's not great that the required fail was implemented or that revising the requirement needs to wait for a build, that part of your questions is already answered.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Goettel.4389 said:

Don't pretend to speak for all 'customers', you do you.

Don't recall the OP ever saying they did.

More or less agree with the OP: Dragon's End IS too long, I personally think that Dragon's Stand is roughly the max length that a map meta should be.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

5 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

At some point lengthening content does not increase player engagement, it is just filler, just a time sink.  
I get that you don't want players to speed-run content, and you don't want them farm an event to the midpoint and then leave. If that is the case then simply don't make such long segments of content.

I too avoid the long meta trains, as I dislike them personally. But you can join/leave the trains anytime. If you are in Echowald you could easily go for a smoke or wipe your baby's butt and resume the event. Even the elder dragon mother of all events needs at most 20 minutes of your time in one chunk. Catching up on that map is a little annoying if you don't own a skyscale, but probably still faster to catch then the Metatrain in the jungle(Hot maps).

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

There's been a few meta events that take an hour or more before this, Dragons Stand is the main one I remember. It's often quicker now than it used to be but it's still a big time commitment for 1 event chain and like the EoD meta it's on a timer so you can't just start it whenever you feel like it.

I treat those like any other hobby: when I want to do it I make time for it. If I want to go swimming I don't just hope one day I'll be passing the pool with my kit and some time to kill. If I want to play a board game I don't just hope one day I'll have an hour or two (or three or more!) free and a group of people to play it with. I find a day when I can give it the time it needs and make it one of my priorities for that day.

In this case that means knowing the event is going to take 1 - 1.5 hours and starts on a timer, so I'll look it up on the Wiki to see what times it starts and pick one which will be convenient for me, then make sure I get there early and use the LFG tool to find a group. It's more hassle than normal events, but I enjoy doing the big event chains, so I don't mind making time for them every so often.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

I kinda feel like maps like Dragons End and Dragons Stand are so special because they have an hour's build up into the boss fight. But, I do agree, a 30 minute playtime does feel like you can't accomplish anything if you're not into daily repetitive grind.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Westenev.5289 said:

I kinda feel like maps like Dragons End and Dragons Stand are so special because they have an hour's build up into the boss fight. But, I do agree, a 30 minute playtime does feel like you can't accomplish anything if you're not into daily repetitive grind.

People don't like or do short play sessions otherwise Bojarch marches would be full with people. Bojarch marches is a great map with tons of self contained little events, tons of Chests to open, A new take on the puzzle aspect(i personally don't like but it is there), Multiple Champions to challenge yourself and a quite useful map currency. Which gets mostly ignored by the player base for the long High gold per hour zerg that is drizzle wood. So I am not surprised Anet doesn't lean into that kind of content much.

Edited by Albi.7250
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

As a mainly wvw player, I have never felt this 😄
Oh man I wish the base pip rate was like at least 5 points higher. Needing to be super high ranked to save time is such a bad system. Starting full time work and its like "hmm, guess I can't cap out wvw pips anymore If I want to do anything else with my free time at all". 

Pve related though, gw2 has always been a casual friendly game, allowing you to plan out your play and potentially do something different every day should you like, progressing your own way. 
Until EoD that is. Good luck trying to do DE meta if you can only play 30mins a day. Basically at that point, refund the expansion and just pretend Cantha doesn't exist 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, Gorem.8104 said:

Until EoD that is. Good luck trying to do DE meta if you can only play 30mins a day. Basically at that point, refund the expansion and just pretend Cantha doesn't exist 

Good luck trying to do DS meta if you only can play 30mins a day. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 7

20 minutes ago, Gorem.8104 said:

Good luck trying to do DE meta if you can only play 30mins a day. Basically at that point, refund the expansion and just pretend Cantha doesn't exist 

Just don't be greedy and don't chase that gold per hour high. Cantha has more then enough little events chains for sub 30 minutes play season. Some people even complained as you have to much shorts ones, not enough long trains and need to move from one to another if you have a higher play time. Echo wilds has the event chains with in the runes which is pretty neat. The first map has Spiritualist event chain. New keaning city is a mid map and Anet should feel bad about it. DE has tons of events you can do while on the map. The extra buff doesn't even perish so you don't have to do preparation and big meta event in the same play session. DE meta is a big event not a cheeseburger don't try to gobble that thing done in 30 minutes.

Is EoD perfect? Hell no. But people really need to stop seeing each little hurdle or inconvenience as a personal attack from Anet at them directly.

Edited by Albi.7250
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 9

And some folks do have an hour or more to play in a single sitting and enjoy a longer meta. Room for both.

I am a man in my 50's, a casual player, who works 50 to 60 hours per week on average, spiking to 80, have a family with associated obligations, and am a PnP gamer as well....and can set aside an hour or more to do a meta on occasion. When I dont have that much time in a single play session I do something else.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

48 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

Good luck trying to do DS meta if you only can play 30mins a day. 

It can be done. It's not easy and requires 3 very tightly organized squads with good dps, but it is possible. And of course you can always do DS for 30 minutes, and then cash out with significant gains. Because even that long map-wide meta respects your time 1000% more than DE does.

• Like 8
  • Confused 6

4 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It can be done. It's not easy and requires 3 very tightly organized squads with good dps, but it is possible. And of course you can always do DS for 30 minutes, and then cash out with significant gains. Because even that long map-wide meta respects your time 1000% more than DE does.

This is not in defense of DE's rewards (I enjoy the event but not enough to repeat it considering the rewards), but what do you mean by, "cash out with significant gains," as regards to 30 minutes of DS?

I don't do it often because I find the aesthetics unpleasant, but, when I do, I dont find it particularly rewarding if I have to leave partway through.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

This is not in defense of DE's rewards (I enjoy the event but not enough to repeat it considering the rewards), but what do you mean by, "cash out with significant gains," as regards to 30 minutes of DS?

I don't do it often because I find the aesthetics unpleasant, but, when I do, I dont find it particularly rewarding if I have to leave partway through.

Each time you push the bases/do the events, more chests spawn. Those have quite decent rewards (in fact, overall majority of the event rewards come from those chests). So, even if you stop halfway you still get decent rewards for the time invested. Sure, amalgamated at the end is nice too, but it's not as massive step up compared to the incremental rewards on the way.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Each time you push the bases/do the events, more chests spawn. Those have quite decent rewards (in fact, overall majority of the event rewards come from those chests). So, even if you stop halfway you still get decent rewards for the time invested. Sure, amalgamated at the end is nice too, but it's not as massive step up compared to the incremental rewards on the way.

I dont get enough machetes to open the chests without farming for the currency to buy them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Astralporing.1957 said:

Ah, might be that, i still have over 1k of those left.

I see.

So, for the 30 minutes spent in DS to be rewarding I would need to first spend a much more significant amount of time farming the keys. Again, not defending DE rewards because I dont find that meta rewarding, but having to spend hours, days, or more farming to get machetes before DS will be at all rewarding does not sound better. Sounds much worse to me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

19 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I see.

So, for the 30 minutes spent in DS to be rewarding I would need to first spend a much more significant amount of time farming the keys.

Honestly, i have no idea why i have that much, because i don't buy them at all. I assume that overall i get more keys from events than i use to open chests. Might be the difference in how we feel. I don;t feel like i have sunk any time into gathering keys at all.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Honestly, i have no idea why i have that much, because i don't buy them at all. I assume that overall i get more keys from events than i use to open chests. Might be the difference in how we feel. I don;t feel like i have sunk any time into gathering keys at all.

Retrospect is a much nicer view for what you have to do to get something when you've already done it. Looking forward to getting those keys is a lot less exciting. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1