Ingame voice chat communication

31 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

It doesn't have to be Discord, TeamSpeak is a viable option as well.

Also, how would an in-game voice chat feature look like? Do you have an example?

Similar to Red Dead Online.

Option to mute others if they are outside squad, or open voice chat to everyone in vicinity.

It be funny if someone getting chased by raptor screaming for help.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

WoW introduced it once, it wasn't well received. Don't know if they still have it. It had a couple of drawbacks, for example that you couldn't inform you group members that you experience a disconnect from the game (because you got disconnected from the voice chat as well).

Edited by Padrion.7382
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

What about other tools? Teamspeak³? Mumble? I'm sure there are quite some more on the marekt.

A built in voice chat would need a ton of extra options to prevent unwanted chatter. Considering the numerous alternatives, it would be a waste of ressources.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking about this the other day in WvW, cause comm was being like "get in discord please" to the squad and I was kind of wanting to, but also not wanting to deal with the hassle of trying to work it out while keeping up with a zerg. So I didn't.

The main problem I was thinking is... chat logs (text) are something you can moderate after the fact and it's very cheap computationally to store them, at least in the short-term. Moderating audio, on the other hand, I don't know how you'd do it without rotating out GMs on a shift. Keeping logs would probably be a huge amount of storage fast and then would be mostly worthless since you can't search through it easily to find problematic moments reported. So it becomes this whole thing of "can you even ensure the player environment is how you want it to be if you have built-in voice chat."

With external voice chat, it's not on Anet to moderate it and there's nothing they can do anyway. Once it becomes their tools, the responsibility falls on them.

The convenience would be nice for squads, but all it takes is one commander verbally abusing people and nobody having logs of it, and things get annoying to deal with fast.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, phokus.8934 said:

For pvp it'd be fantastic.

Yes i rly want that for pvp

32 minutes ago, Nash.2681 said:

Getting random insults, swear words, verbal assaults over voice chat sure seems like something diserable 😐

Yeah but marking people that they do x,y, Is hard for someone to find out.

Ez calls via voice Like, "i Need a heal", or " Take Care for Close, someone is comming" Grant was less hazzle

Also if you wouldn't include a mute function in 2022 in a voice Chat it would be absolut utopic

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Nash.2681 said:

Getting random insults, swear words, verbal assaults over voice chat sure seems like something desirable 😐

throw in a constant beeping smokedetector, a bad lobby "dj", a squeacker getting yelled at and it would be perfect. ah, the good old gtao days ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Avatar.3568 said:

Yes i rly want that for pvp

Yeah but marking people that they do x,y, Is hard for someone to find out.

Ez calls via voice Like, "i Need a heal", or " Take Care for Close, someone is comming" Grant was less hazzle

Also if you wouldn't include a mute function in 2022 in a voice Chat it would be absolut utopic

Out of experience from other games- voice comm between random strangers never works well. Expectations and wording differ strongly and usually lead to a communication mess. So the benefits you seek are highly unlikely to happen. Also- why implement a feature that most ppl would turn off instantly for beforementioned reasons?

Voice comm is a nice QoL feature for pre-made groups, but then again, those groups have plenty of options to use 3rd party voice comm already.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Scavarius.6059 said:

throw in a constant beeping smokedetector, a bad lobby "dj", a squeacker getting yelled at and it would be perfect. ah, the good old gtao days ...

Tried to keep the list short, but you're absolutely right 😄

5 minutes ago, Nash.2681 said:

Out of experience from other games- voice comm between random strangers never works well. Expectations and wording differ strongly and usually lead to a communication mess. So the benefits you seek are highly unlikely to happen. Also- why implement a feature that most ppl would turn off instantly for beforementioned reasons?

Voice comm is a nice QoL feature for pre-made groups, but then again, those groups have plenty of options to use 3rd party voice comm already.

I Had different expieriences, after playing thousnds of hours in counterstrike,i can Not Imagine the Game without ingame voice

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

If there ever was a voice chat in GW2, it'd need to be explicitly opt-in and has to be turned off by default.

Also, Arenanet would need to update the EULA so that it's a bannable offense to demand from other people to turn it on.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Padrion.7382 said:

WoW introduced it once, I wasn't well received. Don't know if they still have it. It had a couple of drawbacks, for example that you couldn't inform you group members that you experience a disconnect from the game (because you got disconnected from the voice chat as well).

Also the sound quality on it was poor.  Sounded like people in the bottom of a well.  You get a more consistent product with a third party, hence most people used ventrilo back in the day lol.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Avatar.3568 said:

I Had different expieriences, after playing thousnds of hours in counterstrike,i can Not Imagine the Game without ingame voice

I can see why. CS gameplay is rather simple. You have a few common routes to approach the enemy and then it's usually a fast paced shoot-out. You probably can get along with a few basic commands and it's probably harder to pick "that one guy" to call out in the heat of the fight. When someone hits you a few ms earlier or managed to surprise you from the flank or behind, there's not much to blame. 

But there are also counter examples: I played DotA2 for years and voice chat when playing with randoms was pure kitten and thus barely used. The game is simply way to complex to efficiently communicate on the fly with strangers. Also you can easily spot what someone does or does not and thus naming and shaming is way easier.

And while GW2 gameplay certainly is somewhere in between when it comes to complexity, it has all the ingredients that allow for an unpleasant voice communication.

• Like 2

ANet might actually be violating the embargoes by not applying the same bans as Discord...

Maybe not being a voice chat means it doesn't apply but that also means the moment they DO implement voice chat you will get banned from GW2 as well.

Very much a case of "be careful what you ask, you might get it".

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

How on earth did Discord become the standard VoIP program? Vent, Teamspeak -- both lightweight, good quality programs for years. 

Now we have the bloatware that is Discord. Emojis, gifs, bots playing music. Awful.

In-game voice chat would be fantastic, but the server costs, programming involved and the people who would inevitably stick with Discord (and the lack of investment in the game by NCSoft/Anet) means it will never happen. Plus they lack the mods required to deal with their bot problem, never mind an inevitable racist voice spammer problem.

• Like 2
  • Confused 7