Please have option toggle to disable mechanist mech and turtle [Merged]

ardhikaizecson.3697

Every Meta, every raid and every strike with how OP mechanist are and people are stacking this class and become meta defining, I think it's time there is a toggle to disable mech model and sound effect because of how big and loud they are thank you.

Oh also have that option to disable the turtle model please.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

I don't want them selling this as cosmetics, but I think they should have at least made mechs unique per species.

Humans get clockwork knights.

Charr, a mechanised version of an Effigy.

Asura get Golems (natch).

Norn, a mechanical version of the spirit animal they chose during character generation.

Sylvari, something like the Juggernaut from GW1.

I mean, yes, they'd still be everywhere, but at least there would be some variation and nowhere near as much obnoxious green.

But this is probably too much like hard work for ANet, with no obvious pay-off.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 8
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

FFXIV has a bunch of  "hide other player effect" options and an option to shrink Summoner pets (or make them gigantic). Sure could learn from them here. 

I find it boring we still can't even dye them let alone or any customization. There's so many everywhere and they all look the same.

Since it's now the best class in the game by a landslide combat-wise, I hope they make it even more superior with some visual customization improvements.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

I don't want them selling this as cosmetics

By the way, I feel I need to flesh out why reasonable cosmetic changes to mechs shouldn't be monetised.

The key reason is that currently, the visuals don't really affect the Mechanist, but other players.

People who don't play as Mechanist are making valid complaints about the mechs obscuring gameplay during events, not the Mechanists themselves.

So the target consumer of mech cosmetic options in this instance is not the actual Mechanist.

And I don't think it's reasonable to charge users for cosmetic options that affect other people's characters just to make the game playable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, ardhikaizecson.3697 said:

Every Meta, every raid and every strike with how OP mechanist are and people are stacking this class and become meta defining, I think it's time there is a toggle to disable mech model and sound effect because of how big and loud they are thank you.

They arent even OP. They are just dirt simple to get acceptable performance. I still have yet to see a single Mechanist be the dominant top DPS in any raid, fractal, etc. Heck, a decent sword holo can outperform them.

That said, yes I dont like the giant mechanist green pets towering over everything. It was a horrible design idea. The scale is totally kittened up. They should maybe auto-stow when not in combat and be about 25-33% of the current size. Then they wouldnt cover the entire raid squad while everyone is waiting for RC, etc. Same for turtle I guess but I dont see many of them so it doesnt feel like a big issue. Maybe if I still did OW stuff.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, ardhikaizecson.3697 said:

Literally just had the same discussion on one of the community discords. People even leaving parties to avoid looking at the ugliness of the mechs. No hate to the class, just your comps are a complete eyesore lol. 

Edited by Voyant.1327
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Mechs desperately need more variety, but built in variety, for the player to choose from or based on race or whatever, not gem shop. Or dye channels for mechs, the green is kinda annoying even though it's lore accurate...

Lore doesnt matter in this aspect because you can dye the Jade Tech Wings both back and glider~ and they look much better dyed

https://i.imgur.com/y9rLUWw.png

https://i.imgur.com/vcPUXFw.png

13 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

I don't want them selling this as cosmetics, but I think they should have at least made mechs unique per species.

Humans get clockwork knights.

Charr, a mechanised version of an Effigy.

Asura get Golems (natch).

Norn, a mechanical version of the spirit animal they chose during character generation.

Sylvari, something like the Juggernaut from GW1.

I mean, yes, they'd still be everywhere, but at least there would be some variation and nowhere near as much obnoxious green.

But this is probably too much like hard work for ANet, with no obvious pay-off.

As much as variety would be nice enough I would detest tying mech cosmetics to race.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Voyant.1327 said:

Literally just had the same discussion on one of the community discords. People even leaving parties to avoid looking at the ugliness of the mechs. No hate to the class, just your comps are a complete eyesore lol. 

For me it isnt even so much an issue of being an eyesore but rather the massively increased visual clutter. Even if I absolutely loved the current mech aesthetic, its ok, I would want to be able to see more than just the mechs in a fight. Ive seen strikes where the presence of 6+ mechs made seeing red circles all but impossible.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

This game would be so much better if you could tone down most visual clutter. Ah, I dream of the day.

I will say, turning down the volume of everything but music and dialogue, and turning off the player ability chatter, helped me some with sensory overload. Turns out all the loud noises was part of it. Now if only I could engage with it visually in a more focused way.

People always say stuff about how it's to do with effects people have paid for and that's why they won't do it, but I don't believe that... it's not as though one player can tell what another player's game looks like anyway and so many effects get blended together into a visual cluster of nothing in big groups. I suspect it's because the effects are triggered in a procedural programming way, like linear calls where they are needed, so they'd have to refactor a lot to make it a system you can turn off clusters all at once. That or it's all the same generalized system, whether it's combo fields, backpack effects, etc., so they'd have to separate it more distinctly into different types to allow turning off one without turning off everything. I mean, I'm just going off imagining ways you can write yourself into a corner with code that is costly in time and testing to get out of. I'm sure there are other ways too.

Edit: Like in the sims 4, for example, some visual effects are triggered within an interaction file between sims and some are triggered within the animation clip file itself, which if I remember right is a binary file format with a set amount of space for things that it uses. So for a game like that, they'd probably need to change the file structure for animations to make a visual toggle possible. If GW2 is anything like that, I can imagine why they don't appear to have done anything about it ever. (To be clear, I have not worked on the sims 4, this is collective knowledge from modders and modding.)

Edited by Labjax.2465
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

16 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

For me it isnt even so much an issue of being an eyesore but rather the massively increased visual clutter. Even if I absolutely loved the current mech aesthetic, its ok, I would want to be able to see more than just the mechs in a fight. Ive seen strikes where the presence of 6+ mechs made seeing red circles all but impossible.

Kinda what I was alluding to. I feel same thing trying to stand in those fractal agony bubbles you need to be in to deactivate em.... Oh look two Mechs and you literally can't see yourself or what you're trying to avoid.

Pets shouldn't take up more visual space then the characters themselves.

Luckily my community doesn't use any of the pet classes so I only deal with in PUG, and for those I tend to just say no pets/comps in the LFG. 

Edited by Voyant.1327
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/13/2022 at 11:00 PM, Doggie.3184 said:

Lore doesnt matter in this aspect because you can dye the Jade Tech Wings both back and glider~ and they look much better dyed

https://i.imgur.com/y9rLUWw.png

https://i.imgur.com/vcPUXFw.png

No, i know, Lore accurate didn't mean much to Anet in the gem shop. 😛

But they do kinda stick to it in the "base game things" i guess...

But yeah, screw lore in this instance, let people dye their mechs!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

No, i know, Lore accurate didn't mean much to Anet in the gem shop. 😛

But they do kinda stick to it in the "base game things" i guess...

But yeah, screw lore in this instance, let people dye their mechs!

Even lore doesnt have to be stretched for this. An enamel paint will cover jade as well as it does steel, or fingernails. There isnt really anything lorewise to prevent a character from painting her mech to suit her aesthetic preferences.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1