will pvp/ wvw EVER get a balance patch?

i was expecting one to be baked into the latest patch (for some weird reason huh), but it was mostly a pve patch and the little pvp/ wvw changes that were there had little impact. no sign of any changes in the summer roadmap. do you guys at anet not understand the state of the game right now? one third to half of all professions weapons, utility skills (heals and elites too), and trait lines are unusable cuz they were either over nerfed or just suck. increasing the viability of these things would increase the amount of builds and playstyles and would be a huge benefit to all modes which would make the entire player base happy. whats the downside and why isn't this a priority? seems like it should be especially with the release of the steam version. you don't need to do big reworks for everything, number changes and some additional effects can go a long way for a lot of things. making something viable IS creating new content. combat is the entire game for most people who play this game and giving them more tools to tinker with will keep them playing longer, and its a lot faster to do then an expac.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

It'd actually be good to get a non-PR-BS response to this. If they don't plan on supporting competitive modes with frequent balance patches now that eod is out of the way, then its easier to decide whether to dump more time in the game or not.

Edited by Hotride.2187
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Hotride.2187 said:

It'd actually be good to get a non-PR-BS response to this. If they don't plan on supporting competitive modes with frequent balance patches now that eod is out of the way, then its easier to decide whether to dump more time in the game or not.

They never have no matter what they said. Its always been the case of quit now if you arent happy with the game because it only keeps getting worse.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

48 minutes ago, Hotride.2187 said:

I personally used the June 28th patch as my gauge for whether or not I play the game. Frankly the fact there wasn't mention of PvP/WvW-centric balance was the biggest sign things were on the way out for those two.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hotride.2187 said:

Are you new? What makes you possibly believe they'd support the competitive scene at this point? Move on, lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Cuddy.6247 said:

What makes you possibly believe they'd support the competitive scene at this point?

Ijs, Shadow behemoth > PvP

Glad they're revisiting old content but I can't help but feel they think pvp's a lost cause and theyre just quietly hiding like an introvert that heard their doorbell ring, hoping we all leave (but not leave so hard that we dont try raiding/open world.)

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Hotride.2187 said:

They have in fact already answered this, repeatedly, and that answer has been a resounding "NO".  Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do.  They have not given the pvp player base any attention at all.  Their opportunity to make a shift came with a release of an expansion, yet we still have 300 second cd's in that game mode and ZERO pvp exclusive content.  Their roadmap and resources are  catered toward the pve player base, which ultimately is a business decision, but a decision you need be willing to accept and decide if you can get enough out of what is available to continue enjoying pvp.

• Like 2

Arenanet will never dedicate more man hours to pvp development such as what you are talking about. Be happy we got a balance 2 years after the Feb 2020 one. Don't expect another balance for another 2 years....prove me wrong anet let's see some monthly balance/meta changes. Lol. I can now always say I win at something and it's proving anet rights to deny pvp exists threw development and balance progressions.

2 hours ago, Pyrial.2917 said:

They have in fact already answered this, repeatedly, and that answer has been a resounding "NO".  Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do.  They have not given the pvp player base any attention at all.  Their opportunity to make a shift came with a release of an expansion, yet we still have 300 second cd's in that game mode and ZERO pvp exclusive content.  Their roadmap and resources are  catered toward the pve player base, which ultimately is a business decision, but a decision you need be willing to accept and decide if you can get enough out of what is available to continue enjoying pvp.

^This! Why in the world are there still 300 sec traits. That was supposed to be a temporary fix and yet it's been years later. 

Actions speak louder than words. Read the writing on the wall! 

• Like 2

is it just me that noticed that we have gotten more pvp/wvw changes in the last half year, than in the last 2 years prior to that combined? 

I am not rating those changes as good or bad here.... just saying that, for Anet standards, they are patching VERY frequently right now. In the upcoming 2 months they already anounced 2 more rounds of balancepatches!

saying that there were no changes.... is... nonsense.

For example the Shadowarts changes are the biggest changes that thief has seen IN A LOONG TIME. Also the ventari changes... The Engieriflechanges....   Them raising the Damagecoefficients of Spellbreaker... idk... The Elementalist Daggerchanges.... Them buffing Elementalist staff... Alacrity for Tempest... Them nerfing and buffing Herald... Vindicator is going up and down with every patch aswell... Trapper rune nerf. Them buffing and nerfing Guard...  THEY EVEN FKING CHANGED CHRONOMANCER!! can you believe it!? they acknowledged chrono... They nerfed and buffed Reaper....They reworked ranger spirits... They reworked Banners...Them nerfing Rally-skills....  the list goes on and one...  There is ALOT happening since ~2 months prior to EoD....

There is infact balancepatches happening... and for Anet standards... they are HELLA frequent.... just saying.

Rating them as good or bad is up to you personally..... saying that: the balance has not gotten any better... okey.. that is personal opinion... but saying that there are no balancepatches... idk man 😄

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Cuddy.6247 said:

Are you new? What makes you possibly believe they'd support the competitive scene at this point? Move on, lol.

To what though? Combat in this game scratches an itch, dunno what to replace it with.

Like... when its good its really good...

Edited by Hotride.2187
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hotride.2187 said:

To what though? Combat in this game scratches an itch, dunno what to replace it with.

Like... when its good its really good...

Honestly, can't answer that. But my PS4 gets more mileage these days than my PC does. I find it incredibly tedious to enjoy GW2 beyond the story anymore, balance has just been sucked out of the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Cuddy.6247 said:

Honestly, can't answer that. But my PS4 gets more mileage these days than my PC does. I find it incredibly tedious to enjoy GW2 beyond the story anymore, balance has just been sucked out of the game.

idk what your talking about...   Just play Harbinger and enjoy your free Serotonin.

if you should play WvW... just slap on Cele and pretend that your suddenly better than everyone.

or wait! nonon! just play Riflemechanist and enjoy your free Serotonin! yes thats it!

Balance is fine, just gotta ride the wave 😉 /s

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/15/2022 at 1:35 AM, Sahne.6950 said:

is it just me that noticed that we have gotten more pvp/wvw changes in the last half year, than in the last 2 years prior to that combined? 

I am not rating those changes as good or bad here.... just saying that, for Anet standards, they are patching VERY frequently right now. In the upcoming 2 months they already anounced 2 more rounds of balancepatches!

saying that there were no changes.... is... nonsense.

For example the Shadowarts changes are the biggest changes that thief has seen IN A LOONG TIME. Also the ventari changes... The Engieriflechanges....   Them raising the Damagecoefficients of Spellbreaker... idk... The Elementalist Daggerchanges.... Them buffing Elementalist staff... Alacrity for Tempest... Them nerfing and buffing Herald... Vindicator is going up and down with every patch aswell... Trapper rune nerf. Them buffing and nerfing Guard...  THEY EVEN FKING CHANGED CHRONOMANCER!! can you believe it!? they acknowledged chrono... They nerfed and buffed Reaper....They reworked ranger spirits... They reworked Banners...Them nerfing Rally-skills....  the list goes on and one...  There is ALOT happening since ~2 months prior to EoD....

There is infact balancepatches happening... and for Anet standards... they are HELLA frequent.... just saying.

Rating them as good or bad is up to you personally..... saying that: the balance has not gotten any better... okey.. that is personal opinion... but saying that there are no balancepatches... idk man 😄

you're right i kinda overlooked the engi rifle/ shadow arts/ chrono reworks. they are still making changes and its good to see, but my issue has for years lied with all of the unusable stuff out there. half of utilities, weapons, and traits are unusable. its so bad for the growth of the game. not to mention half of skill choices in this game are only a fraction of choices in other games (another of my biggest gripes). good changes can come from number tweaking, it doesn't take a big ol rework to make something usable.

Edited by Stand The Wall.6987

The best thing anet can do for pvp is create a sandbox environment in which the community is what holds it together. They need to focus on improving community interaction. No match making in unranked is a problem. Solo queue is also a problem. Gating new players because of the learning curve is also a problem.

I know its unrelated to balance, but the pvp issues largely all stem from the environment.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, UNOwen.7132 said:

Their big patch they did last time all but doomed the gamemode. Id rather they revert it than take a second crack at a big patch tbqh.

The patch was supposed to be foundation for fixing the game, the issue is that it was another GRAND idea without follow through like always, like the drawbacks patch or the condi balancing patch or the rune patch, after the patch goes live they forget their idea and move to something else.

The 300cd traits show that they kinda forgot to do their promised job, they were supposed to work with the "Skills team" but the first attempt at that was that scourge patch that buffed Wells of all things and CMC had to nerf hammer them in a hotfix, which shows that people in Arenanet do not work together and also that the devs working on skill design do not understand their own game, the last PVE patch, lets call it the Banner patch, shows that even better. No amount of number fiddling will make the game better if the abilities are nonsense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2022 at 1:56 PM, Vancho.8750 said:

The patch was supposed to be foundation for fixing the game, the issue is that it was another GRAND idea without follow through like always, like the drawbacks patch or the condi balancing patch or the rune patch, after the patch goes live they forget their idea and move to something else.

The 300cd traits show that they kinda forgot to do their promised job, they were supposed to work with the "Skills team" but the first attempt at that was that scourge patch that buffed Wells of all things and CMC had to nerf hammer them in a hotfix, which shows that people in Arenanet do not work together and also that the devs working on skill design do not understand their own game, the last PVE patch, lets call it the Banner patch, shows that even better. No amount of number fiddling will make the game better if the abilities are nonsense. 

The problem wasnt that it lacked followup. The problem was that the very foundation it was supposed to be was rotten. It did not fix the game, it made it worse, and every followup change could only exarcerbate that. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2