Why are the gun noises so goofy?

24 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

You either missed my point or i missed yours lol...

Sorry, I was just responding to the part where you said that you didnt want AR sounds in a game about exploding clones into butterflies by pointing out that the game, currently at least, is about Assault Rifles, not clones exploding into butterflies. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

As opposed to judging someone because they didnt care for an example of the game's aesthetics. Surely that isnt judgemental right?

Ultimately aesthetics matter. If a game struggles to get something that matters to a player right then it is appropriate for them to choose to give that game a pass. 

A single sound effect from a single weapon?  Sorry mate, that is judgemental. Anyone judging an MMO on that is judgmental. Pointing it out is simple logic.  Only a minority of classes in this game even want to rock a rifle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 7/15/2022 at 12:35 PM, Vayne.8563 said:

If that's what your friend is going to judge a game on (and what an odd thing to show to get someone into the game) I'm pretty sure I'm not terribly worried. Who judges a game on a sound effect of one single weapon.

The predator has a different sound that most rifles in the game and I, for one, like that sound.

It only takes one bad experience to ruin a new game for someone. Anet should seriously take note of that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

As for the gun sound effects I suspect they made them silly in order to keep the game's rating lower than mature in some regions.  I bet "realistic guns" is a criteria for the mature rating tag, somewhere.  Politicians will do anything to be elected, so if strict game rating systems are fashionable Anet needs to anticipate politicians copying each other and passing ignorant laws.  
Besides there are plenty of shooters with ultra realistic guns. There are even a few that have created, and patented, gun designs that would work irl if a manufacturer decided to buy the design.

In my opinion to be honest, i dont care if they add realistic sound or not because normal rifle sound already sounds realistic. But other rifles like Inquest and Forged Rifle doesnt have custom sound or projectile to indicate this weapon is different from other rifle. They can put same energy-like sound to all energy weapon like Stormcaller Rifle or Shimmering Rifle. Unfortunately, they didnt. Put those weapon skin with unique sound attack on 1k gem and they get their money.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dante.1508 said:

It only takes one bad experience to ruin a new game for someone. Anet should seriously take note of that.

Okay let's take what you're saying as a fact.

Right now we have a group of 1 person, who doesn't like that sound and thinks it's stupid. So how do change the sound? Should be have test group for every sound in the game? Every weapon and every sound? Have that group offer their opinion? Do you believe that every single person will agree on that sound.  

When that game came out, some of the praise was about that sound because it sounded cooler to a lot of people, including me, than the other rifles in the game.

How many people have to dislike it for it to be a legitimate complaint. We're not talking about the voice of an NPC, like the female norn voice that a lot of people seem to have a problem with. We're talking about one sound of one weapon.

You're saying it takes one bad experience to ruin a new game for someone. I'm saying it will take one bad experience to ruin a game for someone that has no patience, because everyone I play with is aware that no one is ever going to like everything in ANY MMO. I can't name a single MMO that there are things in that I don't like. I've had bad experiences in this game and every MMO I've ever played. The idea of removing anything that could potentially be a bad experience is ludicrous in the extreme.

At the end of the day, a single sound from a single weapon is such a small fraction of the game, anyone who's going to judge the game on that, has probably already judged the game in the first place.

The sound is fine. I've seen posts that praise it. This is the first post I've come across that's complained about it. The saying you can't please everyone is there for a reason. Because you can't.

Exactly how would you recommend changing weapon sounds so every single person trying the game likes them?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

8 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Okay let's take what you're saying as a fact.

Right now we have a group of 1 person, who doesn't like that sound and thinks it's stupid. So how do change the sound? Should be have test group for every sound in the game? Every weapon and every sound? Have that group offer their opinion? Do you believe that every single person will agree on that sound.  

When that game came out, some of the praise was about that sound because it sounded cooler to a lot of people, including me, than the other rifles in the game.

How many people have to dislike it for it to be a legitimate complaint. We're not talking about the voice of an NPC, like the female norn voice that a lot of people seem to have a problem with. We're talking about one sound of one weapon.

You're saying it takes one bad experience to ruin a new game for someone. I'm saying it will take one bad experience to ruin a game for someone that has no patience, because everyone I play with is aware that no one is ever going to like everything in ANY MMO. I can't name a single MMO that there are things in that I don't like. I've had bad experiences in this game and every MMO I've ever played. The idea of removing anything that could potentially be a bad experience is ludicrous in the extreme.

At the end of the day, a single sound from a single weapon is such a small fraction of the game, anyone who's going to judge the game on that, has probably already judged the game in the first place.

The sound is fine. I've seen posts that praise it. This is the first post I've come across that's complained about it. The saying you can't please everyone is there for a reason. Because you can't.

Exactly how would you recommend changing weapon sounds so every single person trying the game likes them?

It is fact, you try a new game and something irks you or you have a bad experience you are highly likely to drop said new game because you aren't invested in it yet.. especially if your friend asked you to play and you aren't even sure you care about it.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Sorry, I was just responding to the part where you said that you didnt want AR sounds in a game about exploding clones into butterflies by pointing out that the game, currently at least, is about Assault Rifles, not clones exploding into butterflies. 

Ah yes, the rifles got buffed.

Still, don't you think Call of Duty sounds would be a bit over the top and out of place for a game like this?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Dante.1508 said:

It is fact, you try a new game and something irks you or you have a bad experience you are highly likely to drop said new game because you aren't invested in it yet.. especially if your friend asked you to play and you aren't even sure you care about it.

Doesn't answer my question at all.
Simply put, how could Anet take a sound and make sure it's a sound that every single player likes? Because that's what you're saying. You're saying that ANet needs to pay attention to ANYTHING that ANYONE might not like.  But it could be anything.

I don't like the graphic style of WoW. I don't like the quest hub system in FF XIV. I don't like many of the hearts in Guild Wars 2. I don't like the grind in Lotro. I didn't like that Rift funneled you into raids in the PvE end game or there was nothing left to do, at least back when that played. I didn't like the feel of the combat in TSW.

Tell me, how is Anet or any company, going to make a weapon sound that every single player likes equally? Or doesn't dislike. The whole premise is flawed.

There are people who love the Guild Wars 2 combat system and people who don't like skills being tied to weapons. There are people who love downleveling and people who can't stand it. There are people who hate no gear treadmill and people who love it. That's why there's not just one game.  Because different people like different things.

If someone isn't going to play a game because of the sound of one legendary rifle, which is different from the sound of other rifles anyway, then what do you really expect Anet to do about it? Change the sound? But I like the sound of the predator. What if I like the new sound less, or even dislike it.

If something that minor irks you in a new game, and it is minor, one sound from one specific rifle which is completely optional, than you weren't going to enjoy the game in the first place.

Edited by Vayne.8563
Grammar
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

The whole premise is flawed.

The whole premise is flawed because it's not about what players like or don't like, that's up to each individual to decide for them. 

It's that, sounds are a part of the artstyle of the game, and same as me not liking WoW graphics and visual design, the same way someone won't like the sounds of Tyria. But they were chosen to fit with the atmosphere, visual design, and other sounds, and can't be changed to not affect something else. It's a closed system that shouldn't really be changed.

So any discussion about how X sound "sounds", or should we be hearing Call of Duty assault rifles in the game is pointless because the sounds were chosen to portray an atmosphere and artstyle. If Anet thoght CoD AR sounds would fit, they would have implemented them ages ago. 

The only thing we as players can do is deal with it, or quit like the OP's friend did.

I quit WoW after a day in it too, the artstyle was really bugging me.

But i didn't come to the forums to complain about it like OP did.

Edited by Veprovina.4876
  • Like 3

Are you only "realizing" that one particular weapon skin sounded "goofy" after a failed attempt of getting your friend into the game and he didn't like the sound? If he's judging the entire game solely on a weapon sound alone, don't put any more effort getting your friend to the game nothing will appease him.

• Like 3

On 7/14/2022 at 7:14 PM, XenMaster.7165 said:

Even melee weapon doesnt sound convincing. A sword sounds like metal rod bashing a wood crate or something.

Yup. I hate the tinny clank a two- handed sword makes when hitting. Reminds me when a cartoon character is hiding in trash can and our hero rolls up and hits it with crowbar or something. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/16/2022 at 8:11 AM, Dante.1508 said:

listen. i am autistic, and obsessed with dinosaurs. nothing is more infuriating to me than raptors with broken wrists (palms pointing downwards instead of palms facing each other). gw2 does this with every raptor, and it absolutely drives me nuts. but i do understand that gw2 is not realistic dinosaur simulator. expecting the designers and animators to be reading through dinosaur anatomy research papers to deliver only anatomically correct dinosaurs for game that is not focused on dinosaurs or realism is not reasonable. i fully understand that this is not a game that i should be judging based on their dinosaur designs.

gw2 isnt a gun simulator game. its not meant to be delivering realistic gun experience for players, and its not focused on gunfights. if one singular fantasy laser gun in a fantasy game sounding like a fantasy laser gun in fantasy game is a deal breaker for someone, its not anet's problem.

Edited by Mutisija.5017
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 2

20 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

Have you ever tried an mmo and not found a single thing you didn’t like the first period you tried it? I have not. At the beginning several things with gw2 was confusing to me. But since I know mmos are like this as it has so many different players I gave it a try. And I got hooked.

If you find one thing that bothers you at first and you bail, how will you ever get hooked in any game? when looking at your trend in posts, you clearly have a lot of issues with the game. Are you claiming you didn’t have one thing that bothered you when you first started playing this game until it hooked you? 

Edited by Freya.9075
  • Like 4

When I first heard the snipe sounds of Deadeye I was like WTF?... While I main warrior and it's rifle shooting sounds are good this master sniper got some Looney Tunes sounds for it's attacks.

The disappointment happened because I waited for a long range dps type for thief and I got a high damage but annoying sounded character...I usually play it without sounds because it's so annoying to hear it that it makes unplayable for me.

*personal opinion, possible there are people who likes it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Freya.9075 said:

Have you ever tried an mmo and not found a single thing you didn’t like the first period you tried it?

To be fair I do not recall anything I would "not like" about GW2 when I started playing it 😉

The first thing I didn't like came a bit later with the fractals introduction😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amnariel.3659 said:

When I first heard the snipe sounds of Deadeye I was like WTF?... While I main warrior and it's rifle shooting sounds are good this master sniper got some Looney Tunes sounds for it's attacks.

Noy just silly noises but shoddy sound design. Rifle 3 will always make a dur-dur-dur whether you're stood or kneeling. Would quality control go amiss? Oh right, yeah, Anet.

On 7/17/2022 at 9:30 PM, Freya.9075 said:

Have you ever tried an mmo and not found a single thing you didn’t like the first period you tried it? I have not. At the beginning several things with gw2 was confusing to me. But since I know mmos are like this as it has so many different players I gave it a try. And I got hooked.

If you find one thing that bothers you at first and you bail, how will you ever get hooked in any game? when looking at your trend in posts, you clearly have a lot of issues with the game. Are you claiming you didn’t have one thing that bothered you when you first started playing this game until it hooked you? 

Yes i have.

Guildwars 2 was awesome to me until Southsun released then after that things started to go down hill fast. Another mmo i truely loved was Allods online until after release when they literally destroyed the game.

Some games bothers you right at the start and you leave.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/15/2022 at 2:43 AM, Luclinraider.2317 said:

Was trying to get my friend into the game. 

Showed him my character with "The Predator". Awesome look!

Then he hears it shoot and just dismissed GW2 as a goofy Korean MMO.

Funny how you only thought the sound was "goofy" after your friend decided it was....

Don't blindly (or deafly in this case?) subscribe to the subjective opinions of others maybe?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 7/15/2022 at 3:43 AM, Luclinraider.2317 said:

What's with the "PING PANG POW ZING!!" 1960's Batman comic noises. Of all the guns...this gun should have an intimidating sound.

Many weapon sounds in GW2 are goofy or strange, while others are great.

Have you checked the Guardian's mace auto-attack sound? It's a metallic "clong clong", almost alien -- so annoying.

Then again, this is a game that has this, among other immersion breaking things, in it, so maybe your friend is half-right about the Korean MMO cliché. 😉

• Confused 2