Log-in rewards

I cant believe I got the old Repair Canister today as log in "reward".  Shouldn't that be taken out as a rewards?   Its a useless item now so NOT a reward at all.  I know it has a new use but really they are all over the land and with 12hrs timer how often you gonna need to use that from your inventory.  🙂   Only taking space.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 6

Yeah. Honestly the repair canister kinda feels a bit outdated as a login reward. Even some of the old features like self revive orbs (outside of jump puzzles), are kinda iffy.

Personally, ever since i found out about the pvp zone offering a free tp, bank, and salvage kit vendor, the urges to just hover around or use tp or bank orbs has gone. Now instead of using the instant bank to bank anywhere, i get annoyed at having to tp to the pvp zone to bank the portable bank, knowing full well i'll probably save it "just in case" and never use it like the other 7 insta banks and repair o matics in there lol.

But you know what would be awesome? Maybe options for character customization kits to revamp old characters. I'd love those, but i'm doing weekly black lion keys just to change my charr's fur colors from some boring bland flats into more interesting patterns.

Some of them were made pretty early and didn't really look as cool as they could have later. I kinda agree yeah. some items are just mostly useless now and more of a hassle to remember than use. But at least even people with portable tps and banks can use them while open world even if they don't know about the pvp zone bank. it returns you when you're done, and i literally went 10g to 1000g just as a side gig going there. I needed something to do, so i accidentally became rich, whoops. Good habits, right? XD 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7

PlayerTrue. They should probably replace it with a transmutation charge instead.  It would encourage players to use skins.

Can you imagine a new player getting a reinforcement canister the first three times that they get black lion goods on their first month?

How will that make them feel?

• Like 11
  • Confused 2

Would be so much nicer if the Chest of Black Lion Goods from login was a choice chest, rather than random. Or if that's giving away too many keys (cause I imagine a lot would use it for key farm in that case), it could allow you to choose a particular item only once each month. So like choice chest, but you have to choose a different item each week, no duplicates, and then it resets at the end of the month. So in that way your choices could be (for example): BL Key -> Transmutation Charge -> BL Salvage Kit -> Bank Access, but NOT BL Key -> BL Salvage Kit -> BL Key -> BL Key.

Edited by Labjax.2465
  • Like 11
  • Confused 4

2 minutes ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

PlayerTrue. They should probably replace it with a transmutation charge instead.  It would encourage players to use skins.

Can you imagine a new player getting a reinforcement canister the first three times that they get black lion goods on their first month?

How will that make them feel?

New players with 10% more hp be like

• Haha 6

A simple solution would be to have a vendor where you trade things like the instant repair cannister, instant merchant, teleport to a friend, etc, for something else.

Even if the trade was a poor deal (X of those items gets you 1 of something else), at least it would provide a way to re-use those repair cannisters or other items I'll probably never use.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Solvar.7953 said:

A simple solution would be to have a vendor where you trade things like the instant repair cannister, instant merchant, teleport to a friend, etc, for something else.

Even if the trade was a poor deal (X of those items gets you 1 of something else), at least it would provide a way to re-use those repair cannisters or other items I'll probably never use.

This is a nice idea - similar to how they did with boosters I guess 🙂

• Like 5

Why can't changing charr patterns be in the hairstyle kit instead of remake kit. Would be nice if changing patterns and colors was cheaper. As of right now the only free way to change a appearance IS farm the weekly lvl 10 key, for statuettes to exchange for makeover kits.

Would be kinda nice if you could trade the repair kits for a skin change from time to time. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

10 hours ago, Solvar.7953 said:

That's a great solution.  I would rather have boosters than a repair canister, and would happily trade them.  

It's nice that they did away with repairs, but I also would love if they would give a selection of buffs (much like the guild hall one, an increase to karma, luck, stats, etc) instead of just the current one.

• Like 3

Ive been thinking about this in terms beyond just the one item and it occurs to me that the changes to value for existing log in rewards such as crafting materials and mystic coins mean that the entire log in reward system provides less value than it has in the past. For those of us with stockpiles of MC, and other materials, as well as liquid gold, this isn't such a big deal but newer players got a lot of value by  selling those items on the TP in the past.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 3:38 AM, Image.8630 said:

I cant believe I got the old Repair Canister today as log in "reward".  Shouldn't that be taken out as a rewards?   Its a useless item now so NOT a reward at all.  I know it has a new use but really they are all over the land and with 12hrs timer how often you gonna need to use that from your inventory.  🙂   Only taking space.

It's exactly the same useless item as it was before. It's a "portable 1 time use anvil" for people who are lazy. 

On 8/5/2022 at 5:49 AM, Solvar.7953 said:

That is actually a great suggestion. Just the same as they did with the 20 different boosters. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 12:28 PM, Blue D Phoenix.7260 said:

The reason they didnt just take it out, is because its a gem store item, and theres probably some people who bought it using gems. They knew the repair thing was dumb, they just couldn't remove it easily.

They didn't have to remove it completely, just remove it from some drop tables.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

17 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Ive been thinking about this in terms beyond just the one item and it occurs to me that the changes to value for existing log in rewards such as crafting materials and mystic coins mean that the entire log in reward system provides less value than it has in the past. For those of us with stockpiles of MC, and other materials, as well as liquid gold, this isn't such a big deal but newer players got a lot of value by  selling those items on the TP in the past.

Remember, that when they created that system, MCs were still at few silvers per piece. It was only after that their price started to go up.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Remember, that when they created that system, MCs were still at few silvers per piece. It was only after that their price started to go up.

Also I don't think login rewards are intended to be a source of gold. I'm sure Anet is aware players can and do convert them to gold but I don't think they planned what to include based on how much gold it would be worth, or even how much of it could be converted to gold.

I think the random rewards like black lion goods boxes and the chest of exotic equipment deliberately include a mix of less useful/valuable items and the chance at better ones because then there's still the incentive to keep logging in regularly because you might get something really good from them but it doesn't devalue the good rewards by giving them out too often.

I've sometimes wondered if it might be weighted based on account activity, because my second account consistently gets more black lion salvage kits than my main one. It's fairly normal for me to get 2-3 on my second account before getting 1 on my main. It's not enough of a sample size to really draw a conclusion but it's been happening for a long time, and it seems like tweaking the drop rate to give more of a better reward - but specifically one you can't use without going out and doing events to get drops - could be a good way to encourage less actively players to play more.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

The log-in rewards overall are pretty boring.

Not worthless, by any means, but they lack the excitement of something seen in, e. g., Black Desert, both in what they are and how they're claimed - no big, enticing pop-up window, no anticipation being built for the next one, always static... just another chest to right-click and forget.
Arguably, even the ultimate Chest of Loyalty feels the same way; at least to me, and that's including the times I'm actively striving towards a legendary.

Most of them aren't bad, though.
We have the Booster, MCs, Laurels, and Tomes, which are more or less universally valuable, Luck's a bit less so, and T-Charges depend on taste.
And then there are the prime targets for updating: the BLGoods Chests are a free scam, and the Exotic box is meh in the vast majority of cases. These two would be the prime candidates for something like wardrobe unlocks, a random selectable dye kit, or that BL chest with old weapon skins, available for one Claim Ticket.
Account-bound, to not ruin the economy.
If we wanna go meta, the aforementioned Black Desert log-ins rotate every month or so, at times having multiple sets running at once, plus a specific set tailored to new players.
I could see similar ideas working fairly well in Tyria - granted there's tech space for them - even if not pursued to the extent of how PA are doing it, but, for example, a log-ins' change with every major theme-setting release, i. e. a new Living World season or expansion, the newbie one including some QoL items like a Bag Expansion or a Character Slot to lure them deeper into the Gem Store WONDERFUL WORLD OF GUILD WARS 2, a mini to keep them company, some novelties, a random glider skin... could even put the world-wide basic raptor there, and let all (full) accounts run through the thing.
Not just the sky, but the speed of light is the limit here, considering how many relatively small but impactful items are already in the game.

The problem is, I imagine, that having exciting stuff as log-in rewards might very well force people to keep logging in, which would go against the local principle of allowing people to come and go as they please.
To this effect, I can see how keeping the rewards "kinda whatever" is a reasonable proposition.

As for my very self, I certainly wouldn't mind a breath of wonder to celebrate the daily reset with.
Not too much, because free stuff takes no effort to claim, but perhaps a sip.
Say, brewing a cup of chamomile tea after absent-mindedly reaching for the usual Earl Grey.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5