Can we please remove the Level-Up knockback?

Virdo.1540

It would be a nice qol update but it doesn't happen all that often.

Maybe just auto kill every normal mob in a close proximity, do lots of damage to veteran and elites, and halve the amount for champs/bounties/awakened/event enemies instead of knockback.

This would not have effect from tomes of knowledge and exp scrolls so you count to around auto killing things

Edited by Infinity.2876
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

Kill flavor so people with to much time in game aren't mildly inconvenienced? From the same folks who think human Home instance is bad because it isn't optimized to farm run Home nodes.

I mean I get it, it can be a little annoying. But I am not a fan of killing any form of character the game may have in pursuit of optimization.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

In that case, you absolutely have to participate in the Labyrinth farm during this year's Halloween festival. You will see people constantly cursing, "Who is the idiot who keeps pushing enemies apart?!?" 😂

They must really like LB rangers, too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Albi.7250 said:

Kill flavor

Involuntary actions that negatively affect gameplay aren't flavor, they're annoying. If they still want something cool to happen when you level up then so be it, but knockbacks ain't the way. Instead, perhaps a level-up should simply apply something like the Elixir of Heroes buff.

If something's gonna happen that's outside of the player's control, it might as well be something useful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

31 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Involuntary actions that negatively affect gameplay aren't flavor, they're annoying. If they still want something cool to happen when you level up then so be it, but knockbacks ain't the way. Instead, perhaps a level-up should simply apply something like the Elixir of Heroes buff.

If something's gonna happen that's outside of the player's control, it might as well be something useful.

Level up completely heals up the player. Thats enough of a gift

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

23 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I find myself yelling at other rangers who do this even while I'm on my ranger main.  "Stupid ranger!  Stop with the knockback already!"

I think it's worth saying, as long as no one's being too rude about it, because some people genuinely have no idea why it happens and annoy themselves with it.

Once in the Mad King's Labyrinth the commander (who was playing a guardian) kept complaining about knockback then found out it was one of their own skills which was doing it! I've also noticed a lot of mesmers using greatswords who don't realise one of their skills causes knockback.

It also helps to address the misconceptions. Years ago a commander kept threatening to kick me out the Lab unless I switched professions, claiming "all rangers cause knockback" until about 1/2 the squad confirmed there was literally no way I could do knockback with that build.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Where did you get that idea from? https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Level_Up

This article is about the contextual skill that triggers on level up. For for information about the character level up process, see https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Character#Leveling_up

From here, probably. Or from the game.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 3

On 8/21/2022 at 5:11 AM, Ashantara.8731 said:

In that case, you absolutely have to participate in the Labyrinth farm during this year's Halloween festival. You will see people constantly cursing, "Who is the idiot who keeps pushing enemies apart?!?" 😂

Yeah me, I usually blame rangers button mashing LB#4 and engies with flamethrower #3 😣

Knockback is one of the most irritating CC added to the game and rarely has any realistic use. In PvE, you never want to knock an enemy away, especially in groups, in PvP you only use it to remove someone from a point while duelling, otherwise you're once again hindering your teammates attempts to damage other players, and in WvW, the only time you want to get rid of an enemy is when reviving someone.

I get that it has the whole epic flavor (a warrior stomp, oh no!), but in reality its just annoying and unlike Fear can't be mitigated by using Chill/Cripple/Immobilize beforehand.

Honestly, most knockbacks should've been knockdowns instead.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

In PvE, you never want to knock an enemy away, especially in groups,

In OWPvE, as a LB ranger main, I selectively use knockback (LB4) to get things off of me and let my pet re-acquire the target so for me, saying that I'd never want to knock an enemy away isn't true.  I will agree about not using LB4 in groups so that the melee fighters can do their thing -- which is to keep the enemy occupied while I continue my attacks at range.

• Like 1

There are times when knockback is useful, more often when playing solo but even in groups it can be helpful if it's done right (knocking enemies into AoE for example). But those times are rare enough that I don't miss it when I don't have knockback and if I could replace the skills which have it I probably would.

One of the reasons I ended up prefering shortbow on my ranger over longbow is I get to use all the skills. Surprisingly the ability to throw myself backwards is often more useful than throwing an enemy backwards.

• Like 5