This game needs to be more clear about how to earn gold

I think Anet don't want to push players towards farming gold. They want people to do what they find fun, not treat the entire game like an endless grind for the next upgrade (even cosmetic ones). That was one of the reasons they removed the champion farming trains from starter maps years ago but allowed them to continue in higher level maps - people doing the champion trains were telling new players that was the end game, the one thing they had to look forward to was coming back to the same maps to endlessly farm bosses over and over and that gave new players a bad impression of the game.

Another problem is that it's difficult to give consistently reliable advice on farming gold, especially from Anet. A lot of players recommend selling Mystic Coins from login rewards to get gold, which works but there's two problems with Anet telling all new players that:

1) Those coins have several uses and new players would be angry if they were told by the game or an official source to sell them and then found out they need them.

2) If Anet tells everyone to sell them then the price will crash (even more than it already has in recent months) and then the advice is useless because they're not actually worth much any more.

The same applies to any other recommendation they could make. Items are valuable because demand matches or exceeds supply. If everyone is told to sell that item then supply will massively outstrip demand and the price will drop. So Anet would have to constantly update their advice on what to farm and that would be even more confusing for new players.

So what I'm understanding is that OP is complaining they don't get handheld enough on how to earn currency in an MMO, wants something to be done about it, but won't make any meaningful suggestions on how to solve this non-problem because it's "not their responsibility" to do so.

😑

I have to wonder if OP's just new to MMOs and doesn't know how loot works.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Agreed. It's never been very clear to me either.

In Runescape, it's absurdly obvious. Most every item you can gather throughout your journeys can be sold, and it's really as simple as finding a gathering skill you like and selling what you gather as you train. Plus most gathering professions can be AFKed while you read a wiki to educate yourself on the best methods.

In World of Warcraft, I casually skin any animals I kill, harvest any herbs I see, and sell any unneeded gear, plus gold from quest rewards, and i end up with enough for pretty much anything I need, other than the most expensive gear on the auction house.

In Guild Wars 2, resources you gather along the way don't seem nearly as valuable as they do in other games, and most of the real money making methods are hidden way behind lots of steps. Also doesn't help that crafting in this game is pretty complex to level compared to other MMOs like Runescape and WoW, so any gold that might be made there is obscured as well.

That said, I'm also not sure it really needs to be changed. I think ArenaNet could maybe put out some official guides to popular gold making methods that are accessible to most players, but some of the best methods should probably remain obscure to most players to protect their profitability. 

Edited by Swordbreaker.8465
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

Anet doesn’t want to tell players how to earn gold. It is a good way for the community to work together by teaching and learning how to do things. Builds, mechanics in raids, strikes or fractals, achievements or advice how to earn gold. It’s a good communication starter for many new players to get to know other players. 

if they do not want that. Which some doesn’t. They can google it. They don’t need anet to hold their hand along the way with everything. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Swordbreaker.8465 said:

Agreed. It's never been very clear to me either.

In Runescape, it's absurdly obvious. Most every item you can gather throughout your journeys can be sold, and it's really as simple as finding a gathering skill you like and selling what you gather as you train. Plus most gathering professions can be AFKed while you read a wiki to educate yourself on the best methods.

In World of Warcraft, I casually skin any animals I kill, harvest any herbs I see, and sell any unneeded gear, plus gold from quest rewards, and i end up with enough for pretty much anything I need, other than the most expensive gear on the auction house.

In Guild Wars 2, resources you gather along the way don't seem nearly as valuable as they do in other games, and most of the real money making methods are hidden way behind lots of steps. Also doesn't help that crafting in this game is pretty complex to level compared to other MMOs like Runescape and WoW, so any gold that might be made there is obscured as well.

That said, I'm also not sure it really needs to be changed. I think ArenaNet could maybe put out some official guides to popular gold making methods that are accessible to most players, but some of the best methods should probably remain obscure to most players to protect their profitability. 

You can sell almost every drop you get in GW2. Some of them are worth pennies, but many of them are worth between 1.5-3 silver each, which isn't anything to sneeze at when you get them in great numbers. Even common materials like elder wood and mithril can be sold for a decent profit since you get so much of it in end game. Really the key like in every other game is to sell your drops! 

But I think it becomes a little bit of a blind spot for people because of GW2's bank system. I know when playing FF14 I'm hyper aware of what junk I have at all times just because you have such limited inventory space and have to manually put away your materials with your retainers. In GW2 you just click 'deposit materials' in your bag and then they disappear. I can see it being an 'out of sight, out of mind' thing for some players. 

Note to anyone reading this: go clean out your material storage, I bet you there's at least 50g waiting to be made in there! Also, I forgot to mention this in my previous post but when you get unidentified gear drops, I sell the blue ones outright without opening them (I just determined opening the blues wasn't worth the hassle personally), and open the green then salvage for materials. If you don't want to do that, selling stacks of greens is a reliable and easy way to make money and the difference between selling them outright vs. opening and salvaging the gear you receive is negligible (open + salvage is slightly more profitable as you have the chance for exotics). 

• Like 5

How to make money quickly and easily both in game an real life in two easy steps:

step 1) discard any and all morality and ethics

step 2) scam, lie, cheat your way to riches

or just do t4  fractal dailies...

1 hour ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

[FAST] does a wonderful job. The data they provide helps a lot of people making money.
But I would never suggest their website to a new player - at least not without giving them a basic introduction.

https://www.peuresearchcenter.com/benchmarks.php is much better in that regard at least in the main section

Edited by Khisanth.2948
  • Haha 2

There’s tons of way to get gold and most of them are actually fun. I enjoy meta events a lot. The thing is it doesn’t instantly give you gold. You have to use the loot and crafting to get some solid results. It’s kinda frustrating that you can’t just do a certain event and come with an instant 10 or 20 gold but it’s how the game is and I’ve learned to adapt. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, kettering.6823 said:

Note to anyone reading this: go clean out your material storage, I bet you there's at least 50g waiting to be made in there!

You are certainly correct but 50g would probably be an extremely low estimate for someone who has been playing even for a short while.

I would suggest taking a look at https://gw2efficiency.com/account/materials and be surprised at how much we actually have in terms of mats.

• Like 1

I think earning gold - as in consistently earning/farming a lot of gold - actually should remain somewhat obscure. If making money was so easy, you end up with economies like SWTOR, where inflation is so absurd that even basic things on the trading post are priced in the hundreds of millions of credits (gold).

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Valisha.8650 said:

Title. From the perspective of a newer player, farming some reasonable amounts of gold is unclear and confusing AF.

For example; 

Be careful of using the farming website listed. The way that a lot of their rates are given can be misleading if you’re not paying attention. 

23 minutes ago, captrowdy.9561 said:

It’s kinda frustrating that you can’t just do a certain event and come with an instant 10 or 20 gold but it’s how the game is and I’ve learned to adapt. 

That is exactly what t4 daily gives.

or do any 8 dungeon paths, a bit less but it is more repeatable

50 minutes ago, captrowdy.9561 said:

There’s tons of way to get gold and most of them are actually fun. I enjoy meta events a lot. The thing is it doesn’t instantly give you gold. You have to use the loot and crafting to get some solid results. It’s kinda frustrating that you can’t just do a certain event and come with an instant 10 or 20 gold but it’s how the game is and I’ve learned to adapt. 

Do daily Dragonstorm: 2g cash and currently 3g in Aurene Memories (if you have the mastery).

Do daily T4 + Rec Fraktals: Around 10g in cash (actually in NPC sellable garbage items 🤣)  and nice goodies (incl ascended).

Do Dailies: 2g cash

Do Teq: 1g cash + Loot (probably 2-3g) + rarely ascended

Do Weekly EoD Strikes: 2+2+4+4g cash (doubled with cm) + a bit Loot incl asc weapons.

Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

You are certainly correct but 50g would probably be an extremely low estimate for someone who has been playing even for a short while.

I would suggest taking a look at https://gw2efficiency.com/account/materials and be surprised at how much we actually have in terms of mats.

I was making a conservative estimate just in case, but I can definitely believe this. I know I have over a thousand gold worth of mats in mine, but I keep hoarding it 'just in case' lol

5 minutes ago, Dayra.7405 said:

Do daily Dragonstorm: 2g cash and currently 3g in Aurene Memories (if you have the mastery).

Do daily T4 + Rec Fraktals: Around 10g in cash (actually in NPC sellable garbage items 🤣)  and nice goodies.

Do Teq: 1g cash

Another ~1g from LLA between the coin and the 50s junk item.

43 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

Agreed. Right now I have 9g in my wallet, but apparently if I sold all the materials in my bank I'd get over 1,500g. I also have other currencies in the wallet which can be converted into gold.

Of course I wouldn't want to sell all my materials, because I might want them for crafting. So I pick a minimum amount for each type and only sell what I have over that. It still adds up quickly, and it's pretty much passive income because I don't have to go out of my way to farm things, I just gather what I'm passing.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dayra.7405 said:

Do daily T4 + Rec Fraktals: Around 10g in cash (actually in NPC sellable garbage items 🤣)  and nice goodies (incl ascended).

Do Teq: 1g cash + Loot (probably 2-3g) + rarely ascended

Do Weekly EoD Strikes: 2+2+4+4g cash (doubled with cm) + a bit Loot incl asc weapons.

Awesome thanks 

To be fair new players do seem confused by this alot. Most I know have to be told the Trading Post even exists, and sell all their highly valueable gear and mats to an NPC (one player did it for years on end0.

The game doesn't make it clear that the Trading Post is not an auction house, which players traditionally avoid in MMOs for various reasons. Its similar, but it has alot of safeties in place to prevent the normal abuses that auction houses carry (like getting scammed).

It also doesn't make it clear that the main market is in selling materials, not items. I've played alot of games and most of them didn't even have salvaging, let alone a material-driven econemy. Experienecd players from other MMOs come into this game expecting to go into content and get epic loot drops to sell only to find out that its not worth very much on the Trading Post because this game doesn't do unique loot and relies on mass salvaging of drops, which isn't clarified by any means within the game itself.

Even with the Steam release the new player experience leaves alot to be desired.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Confused 4

4 hours ago, Valisha.8650 said:

Title. From the perspective of a newer player, farming some reasonable amounts of gold is unclear and confusing AF.

For example; 

its hardly complicated farm stuff - sell stuff profit - you wont get a ton of liquid gold in this game but if you want a method that rewards liquid gold farm pvp during an active season.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

To be fair new players do seem confused by this alot. Most I know have to be told the Trading Post even exists, and sell all their highly valueable gear and mats to an NPC (one player did it for years on end0.

The game doesn't make it clear that the Trading Post is not an auction house, which players traditionally avoid in MMOs for various reasons. Its similar, but it has alot of safeties in place to prevent the normal abuses that auction houses carry (like getting scammed).

It also doesn't make it clear that the main market is in selling materials, not items. I've played alot of games and most of them didn't even have salvaging, let alone a material-driven econemy. Experienecd players from other MMOs come into this game expecting to go into content and get epic loot drops to sell only to find out that its not worth very much on the Trading Post because this game doesn't do unique loot and relies on mass salvaging of drops, which isn't clarified by any means within the game itself.

Even with the Steam release the new player experience leaves alot to be desired.

All these assumptions depend on which game/s a person has played before, so they'll be different for each individual.

For example I've never played a game where it was actually possible to auction off items within the game, it's always been some form of direct sale like GW2 has. Not always the same system as the Trading Post and some are open to various forms of scam, but when I started this game I wasn't at all confused that it didn't use auctions because I didn't expect that.

Likewise my other current MMO is Elder Scrolls Online where selling materials is also quite profitable. The main differences are that there's daily crafting quests which are a good source of materials to sell, and only a limited number of people can realistically sell large volumes of anything because you have to be in a guild with a trader and there's a finite number of those. (Everyone else is stuck with the old fashioned and time consuming method of spamming chat.)

So if I was starting GW2 today and expecting it to be like my last MMO my problem wouldn't be knowing what to sell but that I'm allowed to sell it at all, and that would be resolved when I got to level 7 and got the level up pop-up which explains about the Trading Post.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Ok, but at this point doesn't it just mean those players don't read what the game explains to them anyways?

https://images.alt-gr.org/gw2/levels/17.jpg

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/1/18/Trading_Post_home.jpg

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1