Core Tyria zones should have the option to only be populated by characters with zone-appropriate levels

19 hours ago, Scalacious.4139 said:

In light of recent events where level 80 characters have been harassing newcomers from Steam in the starter zones, for example by following players with their mounts and quickly killing all enemies before the newcomers had a chance to attack themselves, I came up with the idea of introducing the option that in low level regions, you have the option to only share the area with other characters who are also at an appropriate level or a maximum of maybe 15 levels above the recommended one. This would ensure that the new players can experience and enjoy the game at their own pace, just as many veterans were able to experience it themselves a few years ago. Since the whole thing is only optional, no one would be deprived of the option to play with their friends who already have a high level.

I don't think anyone was intentionally "harrassing" newcomers. I think those players just wanted to quickly get their achievements done. The fact that they don't give any AP doesn't seem to stop completionists from wanting to complete those.

Which brings me to the point of criticism about said achievements: they should only be made available to new characters and be all auto-completed by already existing ones (or ones that are older than a year, for instance). Then no veterans would feel the need to complete them, thereby interrupting the gameplay for new players.

P.S. If there were indeed people who were deliberately trolling new players, then shame on them.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Sounds like a bad idea and a good way to keep players that genuinely want to help new ones from doing so.  While OP was seeing one bunghole troll new players, I and several other vets were helping a large crowd of new Steam players in Queensdale, answering questions, showing folks where was what, and helping with events while being careful to allow the new players to get their kills in.

• Like 4

If only there was technology where they could put new players alone on the new servers. There are solutions for this but anet typically does the bare minimum - see patcher that literally downloads a million tiny files so you get around 1 MB/sec avg on your gigabit connection or you only get steam if you're new, no option to link accounts. For an MMO that is 10 years old, it is painful how little they invested in their platform.

• Confused 7

23 hours ago, Scalacious.4139 said:

I came up with the idea of introducing the option that in low level regions, you have the option to only share the area with other characters who are also at an appropriate level or a maximum of maybe 15 levels above the recommended one.

It wouldn't be a good solution and it would not be sufficient.

I think damage and skills of higher level characters and mounts should be reduced dramatically in starter (and low-level) zones.

Here is my full response from another thread:

12 hours ago, Monarc.9726 said:

I think it’s just the initial showing off and/or trying to scare away new steam players by some of the more immature veteran players. Hopefully this will stop in a few days as the novelty wears off. I’ve been avoiding the lower level zones for now, aside from word bosses, because it’s impossible to not one-shot everything to participate in events for the decades armor achievements. Better to go to the higher level zones, even if it takes a bit longer to complete events.

When Summit played PvP, most of the vets were flexing on him rather than giving him a chance to understand. Actually wish I had the opportunity to duel him and learn the pacing rather than make him run into a brick wall over and over for the little bit of fame that could ever have existed for those players.

Part of me believe that this is no different here and unfortunately it ruins the game in every way possible for the already minimal marketing we get. Hell even when I play with friends that are new to the game, I tone down myself to be helpful for their own experience and opportunity to learn rather than just take away everything for them to enjoy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, YourOnlyOne.4937 said:

Why not an option to switch instances? This is the feature I love from Guild Wars 1.

Or, instead of that, an option for levels 1-9 to "only join instances for L01-L09" which is available for everyone. This way, the problem of using mounts to wipe out mobs ahead of low-level characters can at least be minimized. L10 onwards, it is fair play.

If a zone is populated, often a quick zone out and back will put you in a new instance on your return.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, erapago.4387 said:

There's nothing wrong with new and old players being together.

They really just need to fine tune level scaling. killing everything in one hit isn't fun for us either.

This.

3 hours ago, KirkDiggler.9460 said:

If only there was technology where they could put new players alone on the new servers.

Then who would help the new players by answering questions, giving directions if needed etc?

• Like 3

On 8/24/2022 at 6:11 AM, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

I don't think there is a real solution to this. Some people are just bullies and have to be bullies. They think it's normal.

Sometimes they even grow up to be bullies.

Unfortunately that's very true.   I do not understand how you can be high level and just go into a lower zone and make life miserable for new players.  That sounds like WoW to me not the GW I know. I've run into this even at higher levels.  I just step back and consider the source lol.   

But I feel bad for the new players.   I hope most of them can overlook this and go on.  Maybe they can find good guilds to help them 🙂    Or have a GM in the beginning zones  and zap some of the bullies 

• Like 2

Just made new account and new character. My ele at level 5 is almost oneshotting the same level baddies. So it is not unique to max level characters. Not to mention, you are automatically set to the level in a lower zone. This means, a level 80 character in a starter zone is automatically set to the low level. The game evens out the game for everyone. The devs thought of that. Just accept that GW2 is the best MMO ever, and keep at it! 😉

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2022 at 4:43 AM, Scalacious.4139 said:

In light of recent events where level 80 characters have been harassing newcomers from Steam in the starter zones, for example by following players with their mounts and quickly killing all enemies before the newcomers had a chance to attack themselves, I came up with the idea of introducing the option that in low level regions, you have the option to only share the area with other characters who are also at an appropriate level or a maximum of maybe 15 levels above the recommended one. This would ensure that the new players can experience and enjoy the game at their own pace, just as many veterans were able to experience it themselves a few years ago. Since the whole thing is only optional, no one would be deprived of the option to play with their friends who already have a high level.

If anything what you could want to be asking for is more strict level scaling.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Moradorin.6217 said:

Exactly this. There is no need for additional system tweaks, like creating new layers of the map (that will make them empty for real new players). It would be enough to increase the % of power reduction.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can see how this would be frustrating & sometimes can even be a problem for vets. There have been times I've had a hard time tagging events for the daily. I play those maps a lot & if playing along side low levels I try to wait till they tag to attack, tag an event then move on or mostly buff others (depending on the class I'm using). I've been messing with engi lately & usually run with my jade mech put away. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/25/2022 at 8:00 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

If a zone is populated, often a quick zone out and back will put you in a new instance on your return.

"If" "populated", which is often not the case if you are not playing during peak hours of GW2. 😉 And you can not expect a new player to be aware of that. Even if they are, they'll probably just get frustrated repeating it again and again.

• Like 3

On 8/25/2022 at 12:30 PM, KirkDiggler.9460 said:

If only there was technology where they could put new players alone on the new servers. There are solutions for this but anet typically does the bare minimum - see patcher that literally downloads a million tiny files so you get around 1 MB/sec avg on your gigabit connection or you only get steam if you're new, no option to link accounts. For an MMO that is 10 years old, it is painful how little they invested in their platform.

weird. cos i download the game just fine with 70 mb/s 

I just found out that this thread was made after I posted mine. However, the problem with the idea in the subject line would never work because there is map completion and if someone has only let's say 2 - 5 characters and none of them are human, they will most likely do human map completion on a higher level character that they already did map completion on their own race maps.

On top of that there are the dailies. Dailies require certain things from certain maps, including the starter maps. Be it fighting Shadow Behemoth or taking advantage of the potato field in the Asura starter map.

• Like 2

On 8/25/2022 at 3:41 AM, Ashantara.8731 said:

Which brings me to the point of criticism about said achievements: they should only be made available to new characters and be all auto-completed by already existing ones (or ones that are older than a year, for instance). Then no veterans would feel the need to complete them, thereby interrupting the gameplay for new players.

Think Anet is listening to the complaints as I noticed today logging in that higher level toons were now getting those achievements automatically without having to revisit .. which I think is a start on fixing this issue.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 8/25/2022 at 11:20 PM, eXistence.3876 said:

Just made new account and new character. My ele at level 5 is almost oneshotting the same level baddies. So it is not unique to max level characters. Not to mention, you are automatically set to the level in a lower zone. This means, a level 80 character in a starter zone is automatically set to the low level. The game evens out the game for everyone. The devs thought of that. Just accept that GW2 is the best MMO ever, and keep at it! 😉

You have a point there. With the Decade buffs we are all a lot stronger yet the new players might not know what to do fast enough or know their skills well enough to get their hits in. I did not consider that but you have a point.

However, saying that a level 80 in a starter zone is automatically set to low level is not the same as a new player at that same said low level. Why? Because the level 80 still has all the armor that the low level does not have yet including the 1-9 skills where a new player might have only skill 1 unlocked. Plus they are still learning. I don't know what could help there but honestly ... perhaps the mounts in starter maps are making it too much of a competition for new players to really learn the game as the Core game was intended instead of focusing on doing as well as the 80+ accounts with mounts and food and buffs, etc.  but I would not want to go back to no mounts in starter zones ... I feel so slow when doing map completion without them.

Edited by Katiekaboom.1980

On 8/26/2022 at 7:28 AM, Urud.4925 said:

Exactly this. There is no need for additional system tweaks, like creating new layers of the map (that will make them empty for real new players). It would be enough to increase the % of power reduction.

On 8/25/2022 at 11:24 PM, Moradorin.6217 said:

I can agree with that.

• Like 1