Dx11 is a hit, will there perhaps be Dx12?

Jthug.9506

22 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

But isn't dxvk a directx to vulkan renderer?

Cause i use it in Saint's Row 2, and when i open MSI Afterburner, it says the renderer is Vulkan, not Directx...

Yes DXVK translates DX9/DX11 to Vulkan.

It's also possible to use DXVK on Windows.

Edited by Infusion.7149

On 9/5/2022 at 6:36 AM, radumitrescu.3821 said:

While not quite answering your question, and perhaps going slightly off topic, I do want to chime in and say that I'm playing on Linux, via DXVK (Steam with GE Proton) and the game seems to run quite a bit better than it does on Windows on the same hardware.

I’ll have to try this asap.

• Confused 1

Ain't a hit for me: much worse FPS enabling DX11. Coupled with its unceremonious release right before the Steam release, and the number of issues with it...DX11 isn't finished. Not by a long shot.

But even if it were, they've already said they won't be going beyond 11. Too much work for too little gain.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I don't know what they changed with the new dx11 except visuals and maybe 20%performance gain... I finally reached Lione's Watch and oh boii... got into my 30fps same as few years ago when i got an AMD-HD6790 gpu. Now i got a gtx1050ti.

As a person who plays a lot with video settings and optimizations and benchmarks. I must say what the devs did was mediocre at best.

I don't know if i am allowed to mention other games that they upgrade their engine and the performance was either worse or little to no improvement (bob and soul/Tera/Bless) or for me at least 70% fps improvement on wow from 30fps(dx9-dx11 single threaded) in towns to 60(dx11 multi thread-dx12).

I know i am in minority with a really bad single threaded cpu but still good multithreaded performance in games that i can play over 60fps on games who support it. Cpu is  FX8300 i know it's bad.

From devs perspective testing it on an intel cpu that have no issues with single thread performance the dx11 to dx12 is like they said minimal and not worth for them. But from mine it was really big changing to a multi-threaded capable renderer. Now i am sad... Must wait another 10 years for them to make the change...

Edited by Alexe.3975
  • Sad 1

• 11 months later...
On 8/31/2022 at 6:55 PM, Parasite.5389 said:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/directx11-support-is-coming-to-guild-wars-2/

"We chose to use DirectX11 instead of DirectX12 or Vulkan because we found that switching to BGFX’s DirectX11 implementation provided enough of a performance boost that the graphics backend was no longer ever a limiting factor for client performance. DirectX11 is very stable and has already been used by thousands of games for nearly a decade at this point. It allows us to provide support back to Windows Vista, while Vulkan support starts at Windows 7 and DirectX12 support starts at Windows 10. As far as graphics features are concerned, jumping from DirectX9 to DirectX11 gives us plenty of options for adding interesting features to the engine in years to come. Supporting more than one of these backends would balloon QA work for little tangible benefits."

Ok, but give us a choice in Options whether we want to use DirectX11 or 12.   Just implement both and let players choose.   It's not that difficult.    DirectX 12 is actually a low layer API.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I'm calling it now.  Arenanet will move to Unreal engine for future projects as they are simply not large enough to make their own engine and tool chain.  While I'm no fan of Epic, they do make a good engine/toolchain.  Dont expect anything coming to GW2, but the following projects will change for sure.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1