CMC should have been main balance dev from the beginning

Arheundel.6451

Am i the only one here that thinks that we shouldnt be tagging individual devs for the results of the whole balancing team? Both good and bad things were done by a team of devs, not CMC alone. Just a thought that we shouldnt critisize individual devs, but we should address our concerns to anet or balancing team instead. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, soulknight.9620 said:

Am i the only one here that thinks that we shouldnt be tagging individual devs for the results of the whole balancing team? Both good and bad things were done by a team of devs, not CMC alone. Just a thought that we shouldnt critisize individual devs, but we should address our concerns to anet or balancing team instead. 

Sorta, not really.

As the Team Lead it's kinda right for them to shoulder both the blame and glory. They set the scope and direction after all. They may not always be the guy overseeing every possible change but they certainly have the most invested in signing off on them.

That said you can count me in on the most balance changes in this game have left me questioning more than i care to recount. Though that's probably a bias of mine remembering mostly the most perplexing changes rather than both the good and the bad. When it's ugly and half-baked it sticks out more for longer.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

From a Ranger perspective, we have to remember CMC is the one that created Untamed, and according to the community, it is 'mostly unfixable and propped up by either FF or UT depending on your mode'.  

Which is neither here nor there for me, my issue with CMC is he balances around memes more often than not.  See bladesworn overtuning because 'big numbers are fun', Drake overtuning because 'tail swipe is fun', and now what looks to be DE's RP walk because 'reasons'.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

From a Ranger perspective, we have to remember CMC is the one that created Untamed, and according to the community, it is 'mostly unfixable and propped up by either FF or UT depending on your mode'.  

Which is neither here nor there for me, my issue with CMC is he balances around memes more often than not.  See bladesworn overtuning because 'big numbers are fun', Drake overtuning because 'tail swipe is fun', and now what looks to be DE's RP walk because 'reasons'.  

And don't forget (maybe wrong) but he is also the one behind passiv trait procing every 300 secondes ... talk about lazy design ... remind me of gw1"smiter boon"pvp version (for those who remind) , only think i hope is in next patch they will look deeply in support roles.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I couldnt agree less with you OP, sorry. No, CMC should def not been the main balance dev from the beginning, and he shouldnt be it now either... He's still just as biased on how he balances the professions, just as the last dev was! He clearly caters to the professions that he likes, and for those he dont like... yeah... just look at what Mirage has been through historically bc of him, and the nerf he has decided for it now with this latest upcoming patch...

Its unbelievable that devs are allowed to balance classes through what they like and dislike, and go on with this "Im biased and proud" attitude. It makes Anet look bad and unprofessional in every sense!

Edited by AshkyLicious.4729
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

On 11/11/2022 at 7:18 PM, Arheundel.6451 said:

Let me summarize all that CMC has achieved since taking the reins of balance in GW2 :

1) He nerfed broken/Overpowered/Abused to hell....Scrapper, making WvW more enjoyable overall

2) He removed the absurd drawback "design" choice which was affecting only a handful of professions 

3) He is buffing scepter ele which has been left in the void between dimensions since launch in 2012

Nothing else to add, this CMC is doing God's work in this Game, keep up the great work!

You mean CMC should have been profession balance lead when the game launched? 

Scrapper was fine, if anything it needs some weapon improvements. 

CMC was part of the team during the "drawback" implementation. 

The entire ele design is trashola and you are just hailing scepter improvements? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The changes to druid were CMC yes? I came back to the game when I saw the pet nerf was removed and spirits got alac. The previous dev had a clear vendetta against it. Heal Tempest getting a hit is suffering, but I have a bit of faith seeing how Druid went from being a gutted unfun trainwreck to what it is now.

• Haha 1

This thread reeks of bait to try and get others banned for taking bad of the devs

but I'll take the bait as I think I can make some good points. In short, it's too early to tell definitively if this new balance team will improve things, but from the patches we got the future is looking grim, Thief being changed in ways it doesn't need to be changed, power berserker still hasn't had any buffs, untamed is still the most clunky spec to play in the game, power willbender underperforming still, Ele's, uh, everything, I'd list other issues but you get my point. 

Can things be turned aroud? Course they can, but so far, the only patches we've gotten have ranged from "ok" to "literally killing a spec thematically"  (Deadeye) so I'm still not sold and I'm starting to get worried we won't see change for the better.

• Like 13
  • Confused 2

CMC mentioned removal of Trade-offs. They quickly removed pet swap on Soulbeast, added distortion to chrono and virt without much concern. Meanwhile, Mirage was first to be given a trade-off. It was arguably given the worst trade-off since it totaly changes core behavior and also that a special dodge IS Mirage's defining thing. Still no mention of Mirage's dodge. I dont see any valid reason for this. Its obvious bias.

CMC has zero credibility. Just face it

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 4

On 11/12/2022 at 2:18 AM, Arheundel.6451 said:

1) He nerfed broken/Overpowered/Abused to hell....Scrapper, making WvW more enjoyable overall

Tbf Scrapper felt like the golden boy for years. Everyone knew the amount of superspeed, condiconversion and stealth were problematic and boring. Who liked when 70% of fights were over in 5 seconds with stealth pushing through a keep portal or around a corner? Sometimes even open field. Conditions just gave enemy boons and you could only catch up to someone if you stood on top of scrapper yourself.

There are still lot of glaring problems in WvW like server system, objective balance, supply abundance, siege balance and minstrel/cele stats. Ok, lets give them that they're at least trying to make a better server system for past 5(?) years, but rest are just numerical changes they could do in 1 patch.

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this is a troll or actual serious post, but I'm sorry, no.

If he was so good, he would have addressed a completely DEAD traitline in some form or another by now. Remind us again how many big balance patches we went through that Acrobatics was not touched.

If he was so good, he would have realized that 1 initiative return on signet use is completely useless on thief (yet another dead trait for that class). He also would have realized that removing the ability to have lower cd on certain key skills (which added value to the old traits) just because they are used more often without traits than others (simply because the other utility options are worse) is illogical, because those said skills perform worse now with the traits since they do not benefit from reduced cd.

If he was so good, he would have done something about that hardlocked/pigeonholed traitline called Trickery by now. That traitline, and in particular Preparedness, has been a major problem for over a decade.

If he was so good, he would stop focusing so much on what is already meta and used frequently and start focusing more on the absolutely dead things first - including weapons (eg: sword for thief in PvE).

That's only thief; I can go into other classes, but I think it gets the point across very well seeing how thief is the LEAST understood class by the balance team - the very people who helped design the class in the first place.

Edited by Asra.8746
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Its laughable how many people think PvE balance is not needed… how many people think “it doesnt matter how poorly your spec performs in PvE, you’ll still kill the mob”… some of the stupidest things I have ever heard from PvPers… a lot of PvE has become a war of attrition due to poor balancing and excessive nerfs, and adding an extra minute to a fight in PvE tips the scale heavily in favor of the mobs… a player playing their class moderately well should come out on top against most mobs… when “balance” has reached a point where a player has to play their class perfectly to kill a mob, there is something seriously wrong with that balance, even worse when that perfect play still results in death.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3