Request: Optional in-game "about me" character cards

Einsof.1457

Should be totally optional, but I would love to be able for folks to right click me and see an option for "view character card" where they can see whatever I write there. Things like "always willing to help newbies!" Etc. would be pretty cool. If anet wants to go nuts, they could also allow us to add a photo or something to the card, but just a simple short text "about me" would be great.

• Like 13
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

As long as it is optional, sure. FF14 does something similar with their portrait system which I personally hate because it reminds me of a job resume too much and well hubris, but people seem to love it. As long as I can disable it on my end for all intents and purposes then sure. Go wild with it and the ideas on it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I'd like this. Ultima Online used to do this (maybe still does) and it seemed quite popular. Role-players would use it to give a summary of their characters backstory and current interests, other players would use it to advertise things they could help with or activities they're interested in doing.

And yes, it was completely optional. The field was there for you to write in but you could leave it blank if you wanted, and other people would only see it if they clicked on your character and chose to open that tab. In GW2 an equivalent would be adding it to the list of options if you right-click someone's name plate, along with Whisper, invite to party, send mail, report etc.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

b) how can ArenaNet make money of this

250 gems for every 10 letters beyond the first 10?

Its a decent idea but tbh we know its going to be abused. I'm not interested in seeing a characters pronouns, their tragic background story ending in a patreon link or some incoherent rambling about how this character really, really love cheese.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

How would Anet moderate it?

I assume the same way they moderate all the other free text fields in the game, like chat, LFG messages, guild message of the day etc. If you see something inappropriate in someone's profile you can report them and Anet will investigate.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

I'm not interested in seeing a characters pronouns, their tragic background story ending in a patreon link or some incoherent rambling about how this character really, really love cheese.

😁😂🤣

yeah, the number of links to discord and twitch would be just... Pathetic.

Edited by Arianth Moonlight.6453
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Einsof.1457 said:

Should be totally optional, but I would love to be able for folks to right click me and see an option for "view character card" where they can see whatever I write there. Things like "always willing to help newbies!" Etc. would be pretty cool. If anet wants to go nuts, they could also allow us to add a photo or something to the card, but just a simple short text "about me" would be great.

The feature would undoubtedly be abused in many ways and would be a waste of Anet’s time and resources to police it. There isn’t a net positive gain for such a feature, it’s far more problematic than productive. 

If you want to help newbies, then get a mentor or commander tag and run stuff in game. Make a guild that helps newbies. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I Like this Idea. All my Charakter have their own Story and it would be nice when i could write a Short to customize them even more.

And i mean Sure will it be abused, but so gets the Chat, guild texts, Charakternamens and this Forum Here actually needs a terapist with all this negativity and abuse. Should we also deleted all this stuff?

You Guys are way to negative and should really Touch some gw2 Grass. Because ingame a Lot people would think diffrently about this.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I love this idea, a proper inspect would be amazing. With this card that you can create, it could be another cool reward to receive or hunt down. The inspect would reveal the toon, and “about me” (great for role playing), the gear skins they are wearing, etc.

For a game dubbed fashion wars, it sure could use a ton of new ways to display your fashion and build your character.  ALSO the fact that we don’t have a gear/skin inspect is really dumb.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, Swagger.1459 said:

The feature would undoubtedly be abused in many ways and would be a waste of Anet’s time and resources to police it. There isn’t a net positive gain for such a feature, it’s far more problematic than productive. 

If you want to help newbies, then get a mentor or commander tag and run stuff in game. Make a guild that helps newbies. 

thats not what i want to do. that was an example. I would put probably things like

Currently looking for fractal CMs static available every evening 7pm central

Also teach raids / LF raid CM fun

To deny the convenience of the feature I propose is to really not understand how online communities can grow and friends be made. 

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 12/19/2022 at 11:33 AM, kharmin.7683 said:

How would Anet moderate it?

This exactly. 

Add a photo? Absolutely not. Im sure a lot of people would be doing great and good stuff with it. But also.

Im afraid for a kittenload of racist, discriminating and hatefull texts or pictures that dont belong in a world like gw2. 

We recently had this weird spammer in beginners areas, we dont want them to have additional tools. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Einsof.1457 said:

thats not what i want to do. that was an example. I would put probably things like

To deny the convenience of the feature I propose is to really not understand how online communities can grow and friends be made. 

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/forum/35-looking-for-group/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Einsof.1457 said:

Ummm we already have a bunch of tools to make that happen. LFG. Make a guild. Use discord. Post in Guild section and community run events. We don't need to invite bad behaviors, empower and enable goldsellers, online predators, hackers, and such that would obviously come with it... All because you are obviously too inconvenienced to use all the tools already available to you. 

The game communities form and function just fine without some "character card" where you have to click on a link above your character to see some "bio with picture". We don't need anet to spent time and resources creating a system to vet what's being put in to such a "bio" system, nor police it... Anet also has better things to do and use money on than hiring a bunch of people to manage "bios" and vet pictures uploaded by players.   

• Like 3

To avoid having to monitor so many, they could create a premade checklist that you could see as a player's card.  Something like "interested in...." and the player would go through and check box "open world, world bosses, raids, fractals, role play..." and other players could see it perhaps as a player info tab much like sending mail.  

I kind of like the idea, although I do agree it opens the problems of the handful of players misusing it, and already have other tools that cover it.  For people just standing around thinking hey that person looks like they might be interested in joining in, might be nice.

• Like 1

With this suggestion, I see a workaround to my requirement of having some sort of in-game voice communication.   I can post a link to whatever voice comm I'm on, that way I can actually communicate with players in the game.

Right now, communication is impossible while actively playing.  Communication when not doing anything and the character is in a safe space is only possible with the use of print screen, OCR conversion, text to speech, and trying to decipher the horrible pronunciation of short hand common in internet typing.  This process is a massive drain on my system memory, and doing this for long is infeasible.  It also takes forever to respond to a single statement.

I support anything that helps me communicate with players in the game.

• Like 2