Honestly, how much more story do we need?

Content Drops with No Story Chapter?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Content Drops with No Story Chapter?

• Yes, I would prefer patches with more content at the cost of having no story chapter.
    • No, every patch needs to keep pushing the story, or I will lose interest.

I prefer that just for once they stop adding maps every patch and focus on telling a good story. The world is already crazy huge with the ridiculous number of events with every new map that comes with another endless thing to farm, it's starting to get way too bloated. If need be, make use of existing maps, add new events there!

Edited by serow.6524
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

Well considering that you responded to their post about people wanting to play day to day politics to play IRL instead by bringing up the charr civil war...

I didn’t bring up the Charr Civil war. The post they responded to did. Go back one more post in the chain.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

On 3/4/2023 at 1:17 PM, Gehenna.3625 said:

Yeah speaking from the point of view of the vanilla story, you're a hero before you hit level 2.

That's... debatable.

The human character is arguably the most "heroic" at level 2, being called the "hero of shaemoor" by some npcs; but he's not actually important, and (depending on your creation choices) gets involved in a gang fight, nearly arrested by the guard, or attacked by kidnappers.

Asura characters help with handling a inquest-triggered golem rampage... which doesn't seem to that rare an occurrence, looking at the rest of their story.

Norn characters are the winner of the Great Hunt, an annual tradition, meaning there's at least two dozen guys like them from past years.

Charrs have the fortune of helping a Tribune with dealing with a powerful ghost... at the cost of wiping nearly all of their warband; and they get sent back to work immediately after.

And sylvari... well sylvari get to exist and have a wyld hunt.

By the end of the tutorial, the protagonist is a local celebrity at best, and a nobody with a bit of talent at worst.

They do progress quickly tho, and have at least one very public achievement by the end of the racial part of the storyline (level 30).

=======

On the subject of the thread : The poll has the issue to be completely black and white. No story ever again; or all the story all the time. There is a middle ground. Not all releases have to be about story, and some already aren't (the amount dependent on what each people consider to be content). But story releases also are important.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I’m astounded you saw that implied anywhere in my post.

Charr civil war would be written by humans, so it's silly to say it's not "commonplace politics." You'd get IRL politics in a Guild Wars skin. The parts of it that would too unbelievable to be fiction, such as a hero killing 1,000 mobs, go against the philosophy of keeping things less "grand" in scale, which the person I originally quoted wanted.

On the other hand, there is no real life precedent to saving the universe, so that would make more sense to be a work of fiction, especially one that is intended to provide escapism.

Edited by lezbefriends.7516
  • Confused 6

On 3/4/2023 at 1:21 AM, Ultramex.1506 said:

I prefer down-to-earth story like Charr civil war, not another Saving the Universe

I've noticed this trope even happened with ffxiv last year.

In both games you start out learning about the city-states and population enemies.. Somehow end up needing to save the universe in both games. I am a little burned out of many games trying to come up with the next "Thanos" enemy.

Edited by vicky.9751
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

Charr civil war would be written by humans, so it's silly to say it's not "commonplace politics." You'd get IRL politics in a Guild Wars skin. The parts of it that would too unbelievable to be fiction, such as a hero killing 1,000 mobs, go against the philosophy of keeping things less "grand" in scale, which the person I originally quoted wanted.

On the other hand, there is no real life precedent to saving the universe, so that would make more sense to be a work of fiction, especially one that is intended to provide escapism.

I'm not sure how you expect GW2 to have stories not "written by humans". 😄

But seriously, I'd say there's a lot of ground between "commonplace politics" and "cosmic threats". It's not like civil wars happen in half the countries half the time. They're pretty remarkable events. But it seems you don't want anything that is even close to something that happens in the real world.

That's a very narrow set of stories.

To each their own. I find the most engaging fantasy to be those that explore the human condition, so to speak. Tolkien's work reflected war against totalitarianism and the spirit of unchecked industry and materialism. Jemesin wrote about people living on a planet that almost destroys itself periodically with extreme tectonic shifts, but she's really exploring a society that lives on the back of an oppressed people.

Mountain sized, beyond-our-understanding threats become boring pretty quickly.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Chyro.1462 said:

BUT COMMANDER! What about this new super advanced piece of technology that I need to tell you about and shows how genius I am?

I'm quite sure that all the Asura players could design their own marvelous technology if the story didn't treat them as incompetent compared to the genius NPC.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

9 hours ago, LSD.4673 said:

"Down to earth". I don't think that means what you think it means.

Their use makes sense in relative terms. Mortals fighting over leadership is more down to earth than flying a dragon into the psyche of a mountain-sized force of nature to battle aspects of its inner turmoil.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Thanks 6

On 3/4/2023 at 4:17 AM, Gehenna.3625 said:

Yeah speaking from the point of view of the vanilla story, you're a hero before you hit level 2. The problem with that is that you cannot go down from there without feeling disappointed. And so we got these massive fights with dragons and gods.

I mean how many dragons have we defeated by now? I lost count.

It would be a lot better for the new story line to start much lower and build up slower. Just my opinion. Anet seems to think that they need to go over the top all the time. And that's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy if you think about it.

Ditto 

On 3/5/2023 at 1:51 AM, Ultramex.1506 said:

I hate when people say this as if it's always "politic iz baddd", as if fantasy game world building and story doesn't have them, Charr vs Human in gw1 where the Charr is trying to retake Ascalon, the White Mantle, in gw2 we have the separatist and the renegade from Human and Charr respectively due to Ebonhawke treaty, then there the World Summit of leader of all 5 races together

From a personal perspective, integrating politics isn't bad. But the handling of EoD's political climate was pretty negligent compared to earlier stories. Typically such facets in story telling requires nuances and sound opinions from all fractions. So it lets the player form their own perspective, and explain why an opposing fraction is so prominent.

Kind of like the scene in PoF where you had to choose whom will Amnoon side with for protection against the Forge. With each person having varying opinions expressing the pros and cons for each choice. 

Edited by cyberzombie.7348
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I play games not just for the gameplay but for the story... The adventure. If anything, I believe ArenaNet should learn from Final Fantasy 11 and Final Fantasy 14. Those two MMOs have fantastic story and tons of cutscenes and missions and battles and how they present them is great. However, ArenaNet should continue deliverying them using GW2's Dynamic Event method and Story Instances since it works best for this game.

If Story is not expanded on in meaningful ways, then my interest for the game will die and I would considered this game finished and move on to FF14 (Which I want to avoid because combat sucks there and I don't want to pay subs) Plus, I kinda HATE Square Enix's business model for mmos.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

On 3/5/2023 at 3:38 PM, serow.6524 said:

I prefer that just for once they stop adding maps every patch and focus on telling a good story. The world is already crazy huge with the ridiculous number of events with every new map that comes with another endless thing to farm, it's starting to get way too bloated. If need be, make use of existing maps, add new events there!

Disagree. New maps are always cool. I want to have it all. Mountains, swamps, islands, plains, caves, underground, icy terrain, fiery terrain, dunes, sand, jungle, give me more and more maps

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1