Is this thing Legal ?

Stef.4715

Botting is against the rules - running a script on your computer which plays automatically.

True AFK farming is also against the rules - going to an area with lots of enemies, spawning a bunch of necromancer minions or engineer turrets or whatever and then leaving the game running while you're not at the computer. But Anet's criteria for that is pretty simple - if you can reply when they message you, or react when they move you to a different spot they count it as not being AFK, even if you're otherwise doing nothing but periodically respawning the minions/turrets.

There's no way for players to tell if someone is completely AFK or just not moving (they don't have to respond to other players and whispers from Anet are different, they come up in yellow in the middle of the screen like squad messages) and nothing you can do other than report them even if you're certain someone is AFK or botting. So the best thing to do is report them and move on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One way to differentiate bots and AFK players is bots are usually free accounts which means they don't have autoloot. They have to press the interact key in order to pick up loot, so putting a turtle, tea time chair, noodle shop or skiff near them will cause them to hop into it, and that usually means its a bot.

True AFK/semi-AFK farmers usually have the expansions and are autolooting instead.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stef.4715 said:

Why not do something about the AFK zone...like make the enemys drop nothing

Diminishing Returns (DR) is already implemeneted in the game; these players get no drops after an hour or two, and they  don't get credit for events either. They have to physically move to another map to reset it.

See also: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Diminishing_returns

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

Diminishing Returns (DR) is already implemeneted in the game; these players get no drops after an hour or two, and they  don't get credit for events either. They have to physically move to another map to reset it.

But is this really working, because whats the point botting for 1 hour?

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

Your answer is here:

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014185033-Policy-Unattended-Gameplay

In short, it is not allowed. You can report this, but it is unlikely you will see much result from that. Even when this behavior does not seem to be sanctioned much, I would recommend against doing it. Because rewards are probably fairly low and the fact that ArenaNet is not putting much enforcement into this now and in the past does not guarantee that there will never be a massive ban wave. And you don't want your shiny account to be involved into one of those.

So for now: report and move on, ignore and move on or have some fun with them and move on.

Edited by TheQuickFox.3826
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

See also: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Diminishing_returns

I think the dr is only core maps mate so you can be how long you want in lake doric or istan for example.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Stef.4715 said:

In Lake Doric there is a spot where i found over 20 players standing and doing nothing/ afk farming...is this even Legal ? How can the sistem not kick u off if u are afk ? I got no clue

The inactivity timer resets whenever you get out into combat. ArenaNet doesn’t do anything about AFK players and the penalties are more like a slap on the wrist than an actual deterrent.  They have no system that flags these accounts who do this for days, or even weeks, nonstop with no breaks. The report system doesn’t work. 
Your only option is just to pretend that they don’t exist. The only action you’ll see from them is locking threads about it as an effort to sweep it under the rug. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

I think the dr is only core maps mate so you can be how long you want in lake doric or istan for example.

It affects Southsun Cove, Dry Top, and Silverwastes, so I doubt its specific to core maps. Its just not super noticeable in Silverwastes because most of the loot comes from Lost Bandit Chests, but the events stop giving rewards (including shovels), after about half an hour if you don't keep moving between forts on the map.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

It affects Southsun Cove, Dry Top, and Silverwastes, so I doubt its specific to core maps. Its just not super noticeable in Silverwastes because most of the loot comes from Lost Bandit Chests, but the events stop giving rewards (including shovels), after about half an hour if you don't keep moving between forts on the map.

All the 3 specified maps were added with season 2 before any expansion was out so they are still core maps

Edited by Linken.6345

12 hours ago, Stef.4715 said:

In Lake Doric there is a spot where i found over 20 players standing and doing nothing/ afk farming...is this even Legal ? How can the sistem not kick u off if u are afk ? I got no clue

If any, your post violates the rules of conduct at least 3 times plus federal law, which A-Net follows.

This is why posts like this will be closed by an admin a couple of hours later

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Kurrilino.2706 said:

If any, your post violates the rules of conduct at least 3 times plus federal law, which A-Net follows.

This is why posts like this will be closed by an admin a couple of hours later

13 hours and still going strong, looks like the mods are sleeping.

• Haha 1

Is this topic still being talked about.. it's not like it's a new thing. Players have being requesting ANET do something about this for an age now, but ANET seem to enjoy seeing most maps blighted with large groups of AFK/BOT farmers... so all we can do is report as many as you can target then hope one day ANET do decide enough is enough and give the poor fur flies and mosquitoes a break from the endless cycle of death.

• Confused 1

58 minutes ago, Ruisenior.6342 said:

Im not gonna lie i tried this with an alt account and they banned me insta, but every day i see the same people on the same spot and they are doing fine

ftp?

If that was it, then yea they are probabely more harsh on you since you have not given any money over to them.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

ftp?

If that was it, then yea they are probabely more harsh on you since you have not given any money over to them.

nope one account from 2014 with every expansion bought on release and some cash spent on the gemstore too.

Anyways with the direction this game has taken eod is gona be my last purchase tho

Edited by Ruisenior.6342
  • Confused 1