Story Skip after completing for alts

I admit that I tend to be a bit of an alt'oholic but I have been giving the game a proper chance the past couple weeks and the biggest obstacle so far is the amount of content I would need to replay. I wish there was a way to skip story after you have completed it. Honestly I think in general but I understand wanting your player base to see the story of your game and that often mechanics are introduced through story often ect ect. I recently went through the story up to living world season 4 on my herald, but decided that I wanted to try a new class so I leveled a mesmer. having to go back through a lot of the living world content especially because there isn't a good way to get to some of those zones has been pretty annoying. my experience with the story so far has been full of bugs, non skippable trivial events that are more annoying than difficult, elements of the game that don't really exist a lot of other places. Sure the big bad bosses are kinda cool when they aren't bugging but for the most part i'd be ok not jumping on scarab puddles again or insert mundane general mmo quest task. I understand teleport to a friend exist but I haven't found a great way to get very many of these and this in general seems pretty janky. 

If I am missing something that would make this faster please let me know. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Jelulish.6972 said:

I admit that I tend to be a bit of an alt'oholic but I have been giving the game a proper chance the past couple weeks and the biggest obstacle so far is the amount of content I would need to replay. I wish there was a way to skip story after you have completed it. Honestly I think in general but I understand wanting your player base to see the story of your game and that often mechanics are introduced through story often ect ect. I recently went through the story up to living world season 4 on my herald, but decided that I wanted to try a new class so I leveled a mesmer. having to go back through a lot of the living world content especially because there isn't a good way to get to some of those zones has been pretty annoying. my experience with the story so far has been full of bugs, non skippable trivial events that are more annoying than difficult, elements of the game that don't really exist a lot of other places. Sure the big bad bosses are kinda cool when they aren't bugging but for the most part i'd be ok not jumping on scarab puddles again or insert mundane general mmo quest task. I understand teleport to a friend exist but I haven't found a great way to get very many of these and this in general seems pretty janky. 

I completely agree, having to do the story on every character all over again "just because" seems like a waste of time.

• Like 2
  • Confused 11

33 minutes ago, Jelulish.6972 said:

You are missing some important things:

- You don't have to start from the beginning on the story on a character. It has some effect but changes very little, so you can just hop into the latest story with any alt.

- The NPCs in these maps sell permanent teleport scrolls that take any character there for free. All Living World season 3 and 4 maps, IceBrood Saga maps, and Arborstone to access Cantha (you can walk to the other maps from it). The last one is autoamtically rewarded to you when you play story.

- The airship crew in Lion's Arch will let you skip the Path of Fire starting mission and take you directly to Amnoon if you've already completed story on your account.

- I believe there's a chopper in Grothmar Valley that will take you to Bjora Marches and vice versa?

- You can also get to Heart of Maguuma, the Crystal Desert or Cantha by the guild halls, or with Spearmarshal's Plea for Crsytal Desert (to Domain of Vabbi or Sun's Refuge from LWS4). You can also walk to Lake Doric from Divinity's Reach, and Jahai Bluffs and Domain of Kourna from Vabbi.

- There'e a dedicated Sun's Refuge portal scroll available from an achievement.

- When you enter a map, the starting waypoint is automatically unlocked. So for example you can use the guild hall to enter Vabbi, walk through the portal to The Desolation, then use the first waypoint in Desolation to move to the beginning and walk through the portal to Elon Riverlands and so on.

- The gate in Eye of the North can be linked to many different locations.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 9
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jelulish.6972 said:

You don't need to play through the story on alts. To get to the zones -if it's not possible to just walk into them through connnected to them maps- you can:
use tp to a friend (use lfg to find a random group to join and tp or ask for a "taxi" in a city map) 
start a relevant story episode, get through the starting part getting you to the zone and then cancel the story to play normally on the map.
buy portal scrolls/tomes on the previous character and pass it along to the alts through bank (or keep them in shared inv slots)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I have 14 alts and I only do story 1 time. All alts have the same access to maps as my story character.

Also there are no prerequisites to start a storyline on any character. For example I did the vanilla story on my warrior, LS1 on my engineer, LS2 on my ranger, Hot and LS3 on elementalist... Again I only do story once. Only chapters within specific storyline have prerequisite of completing previous chapter on the same character.

All the long term useful items that you get from story are account bound as far as I remember.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

The "personal" story after level 30 is almost entirely the same for every character. It therefore should be an account wide unlock and not have to be replayed just to get an alt to the same place as your main.

For example, let's say my main is having trouble completing a particular achievement in a particular story chapter, but I think one of my alts could do it more easily. Unless that alt has already completed that chapter, I will have to play that chapter totally over again on my alt to get to the same point as my main to attempt the achievement. That is dumb in multiple ways.

1. The story should not be so tied to individual characters. It should be integrated with the game as one time content for the entire account, which is totally optional to replay on individual characters. The fact that it isn't, has been cited as one of the bigger obstacles to adding race changes, which people have only been asking for since approximately day two after release.

2. There shouldn't be so kitten many achievements in the story to begin with. Ideally, just finishing the chapter should be the ONLY achievement in the story.

• Like 2
  • Confused 6

8 hours ago, Jimbru.6014 said:

The "personal" story after level 30 is almost entirely the same for every character. It therefore should be an account wide unlock and not have to be replayed just to get an alt to the same place as your main.

For example, let's say my main is having trouble completing a particular achievement in a particular story chapter, but I think one of my alts could do it more easily. Unless that alt has already completed that chapter, I will have to play that chapter totally over again on my alt to get to the same point as my main to attempt the achievement. That is dumb in multiple ways.

1. The story should not be so tied to individual characters. It should be integrated with the game as one time content for the entire account, which is totally optional to replay on individual characters. The fact that it isn't, has been cited as one of the bigger obstacles to adding race changes, which people have only been asking for since approximately day two after release.

2. There shouldn't be so kitten many achievements in the story to begin with. Ideally, just finishing the chapter should be the ONLY achievement in the story.

Up until you started numbering items, I agreed with you. As to your specific points, it would make the game worse for me.

Having a reason to repeat story and get something out of it isn't bad for me, it's good for me, and if you don't like achievements, they really are optional. You do them if you want the achievements. You don't get to pick whether or not you like those achievements, because someone else very well might. If they only put in achievements you like, maybe I'd hate them all.

Achievements are there for achievement hunters. No player gets to dictate which achievements are good or bad, simply because they like them. If you're an achievement hunter, you'll jump through the hoops and if you're not, you won't. 

And they story should be tied to individual characters, because for people like me, different characters make different choices based on their "personality".  Some of my characters would choose one thing and some would choose another, even just dialogue options. If one fit all, my character wouldn't be able to make those choices.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

perhaps it would be good if the game remembered where you've been on your characters and unlocked it on all of them,

i'll agree it is a little annoying when you want to do the next living world content on character X,

but you did the previous one on character Y so you don't have any of the map unlocked.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

6 minutes ago, Liewec.2896 said:

perhaps it would be good if the game remembered where you've been on your characters and unlocked it on all of them,

i'll agree it is a little annoying when you want to do the next living world content on character X,

but you did the previous one on character Y so you don't have any of the map unlocked.

I can't see them ever doing this because Gifts of Exploration are tied to individual characters' base game map completion. Expansion maps have legendary Gifts as well for 100%-ing the respective maps and POF map vendors begin offering different rewards to characters that map comp. Living World maps also offer big chunks of map currency and other stuff for completing, so unless they nerfed it down to the 'first completion per account', it'd be just a little bit broken.

As mentioned above, there's Teleport Books/Scrolls for all living worlds save for LS1/Drytop/Silverwastes. Mounts trivialize accessing the latter two. And some people are positively drowning in Teleport to Friend consumables, so that's a very easy way to bypass story.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Liewec.2896 said:

Well I completed the POF quest chain on my Specter, which then unlocks the quest chain to unlock underwater swimming for your skimmer mount. After going the entire things on the Specter, I realized I'd rather do the skimmer achievement unlock on my Necro. But guess what? I'd have to do the ENTIRE POF quest chain on my necro in order to do that.

So it seems that GW2 REALLY wants you to pick ONE toon, and that's your main toon, and that's the toon you'll do all the quest chains with....unless you just love doing quest chains over and over again.

• Confused 9

2 hours ago, entrailsgalore.4150 said:

Well I completed the POF quest chain on my Specter, which then unlocks the quest chain to unlock underwater swimming for your skimmer mount. After going the entire things on the Specter, I realized I'd rather do the skimmer achievement unlock on my Necro. But guess what? I'd have to do the ENTIRE POF quest chain on my necro in order to do that.

So it seems that GW2 REALLY wants you to pick ONE toon, and that's your main toon, and that's the toon you'll do all the quest chains with....unless you just love doing quest chains over and over again.

Why it will be unlocked account wide so it dont matter if you unlock it on your thief or necro mate.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

The portal tomes and Spearmarshall's Plea are amazing for getting every alt anywhere fast (not in the core maps, but everywhere else; a guild hall unlocks even more).  Their only downside is there are so many of them.  Being able to collate a season's portal into one tome is nice but it'd be a huge improvement to be able to get them all into one shared slot.

I wouldn't stop buying the shared slots as fast as more are allowed, but I'd have a lot more things I could do with them if I could smush the portals all together.  I would buy more lounge passes, too.  There are quite a few I simply haven't been willing to find room for, so it's been DR and Amnoon only for a long time, with Thousand Seas added because it's just that good.  There are at least four other passes I'd like to have but won't buy unless they won't take up extra slots.

OP, there are only a few places your alts have to do story to reach once you've bought the portals.  And the only one of those I can think of right now, a poi in Thunderhead Peaks, can also be reached if daily rng allows or if a player is in there and lets you tele to them.  I hope all the answers in this thread explaining this have made you happy to discover that your alts can in fact skip the story in order to get to the maps.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Hmm, I don't understand the OP's problem. I have one main account  and four alt accounts. My main account has 41 characters on it, my alt accounts have 4-6 apiece. So far I have done the story, start to finish, up to the very latest episode, just once on my main account and not at all on my alt accounts. With portal tomes, guild halls, and teleport to friend, I don't have any problem getting a toon to any map I want. (My alt accounts have all the expansions and LS episodes.)

Heck, in my early days in GW2, before I had all the maps unlocked, I remember asking in map chat if someone could go to a particular map and let me tele to them. I got an immediate yes from a kind soul and promptly jumped to that map. I've since done the same thing for guildies and for strangers asking for that kind of help in map chat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It's a personal story, you often get soulbound items as reward and can be repeated on different characters to get gifts of exploration and map currency, like geodes. Why should a personal story be unlocked once and for all the account? As other said, you have different ways to teleport to a map you didn't unlock, and completing a story is not mandatory.

Personally I like to see if I'm able to complete all the content with all the professions, it's a way to learn to play them, better than spamming 1111 in meta events.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Urud.4925 said:

It's a personal story, you often get soulbound items as reward and can be repeated on different characters to get gifts of exploration and map currency, like geodes. Why should a personal story be unlocked once and for all the account? As other said, you have different ways to teleport to a map you didn't unlock, and completing a story is not mandatory.

Personally I like to see if I'm able to complete all the content with all the professions, it's a way to learn to play them, better than spamming 1111 in meta events.

Just a minor correction: you actually don't get gifts of exploration from personal story, but rather from completely exploring all core maps to 100% completion.

• Like 5