Should I make my first female character

22 hours ago, Mic.1897 said:

Should I make my first ever female character in an MMO

It would be Sylvari

Depends how you perisve character you play

If you bound character as mirror coppy of yourself then nope

If you not see a character as you, then you can do whatevr image of "hero"/ *protagonist* suit your taste

Edited by Noah Salazar.5430
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

No reason why not, but perhaps some advise: check out how she runs/moves does emotes and if you like her voice, in terms of the lines used and how she sounds. My human female sounds like an absolute entitled gold-digger and sylvari isn't far off.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Mic.1897 said:

It would be Sylvari

Ofcourse you should, go ahead, female characters almost always are a better choice than male characters in every game. I'd argue you should delete any male characters you already have and replace them with females. They look better, their armor looks better, you could say they have better suited animations. Just do it. 

Edited by jason.1083
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Well, if you are not sure you're ready to play a female character, and want an easy adaption, start with a female asura! I never know if my fellow rats are male or female until they speak! When you're used to the female voice, you can move on to the female lettu... i mean sala... tree!

Good luck!

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Try it out and see what you think. You don't have to commit to anything right away, if you don't like it you can always delete her.

I make tempoary characters all the time, sometimes intentionally trying out one I'm considering making permanent, sometimes I find I keep remaking the same character until I admit I want them permanently. She hasn't stuck around in GW2 but in Elder Scrolls Online I've got a character who started off as a one-off throw-away in Dragon Age Origins, then was a one-shot RP character, then over time I lost count of how many games she appeared in, and ESO is her first time as part of my permanent 'cast'.

But I've got even more I made once, or a few times, and I found the novelty quickly wore off and I didn't actually want to play them permanently. But that's ok because all I lost by deleting them was the time I'd spent playing them, and I usually got something out of them (a lot are basically slow key runners).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

But I've got even more I made once, or a few times, and I found the novelty quickly wore off and I didn't actually want to play them permanently. But that's ok because all I lost by deleting them was the time I'd spent playing them, and I usually got something out of them (a lot are basically slow key runners).

My oldest key runner will be 6 next week 🙂

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, costepj.5120 said:

My oldest key runner will be 6 next week 🙂

I'm glad I'm not the only one. 🙂

My oldest key runner is only 5, but the 2nd version of a character I made to document the changes in the story with the 'new player experience' is 7.

I rushed her to 80 the first time, then liked her so much I re-made her to level properly and then she stuck around. She even survived when I deleted some characters to swap professions around.

9 hours ago, Mic.1897 said:

It would be Sylvari

Why do you even have to ask?? :classic_huh:

I'm female in RL and most of my chars are male. If you want to have a female Sylvari, create one. There is no necessity to ask for permission. 😂

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

Quite a strange question. Why not? Do you have any religious or political biases against it? All my characters are female, and even in terms of roleplay, there are no issues. Aesthetically, I find it thousands of times more pleasant to look at a female character than a male one. It's about personal preferences, you don't need others' approval to play a female character.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

A few considerations..
1: it is fully cosmetic. I'm a male playing both male and female characters and I do not see any other behavior of people around me, towards me. This might be different when roleplaying though.
2: I personally enjoy playing female characters a tidbit more. The main reason is that I'm looking at their back all the time and it is more aesthetic pleasing to me.

• Confused 1

Like others have stated already, just go ahead and create the character you have in mind and see if you like her.

If the way how you might be percieved is the issue then let me assure you that I as a male player main a female Sylvari (I planned to main a human male character, but I didn't like his voice plus and the Sylvari is more fun playstyle-wise) and there were only a handful of occasions where people assumed my real life gender to be female as well and even those occasions weren't awkward or unpleasant in any kind.

30 minutes ago, Andur.9275 said:

If the way how you might be percieved is the issue then let me assure you that I as a male player main a female Sylvari (I planned to main a human male character, but I didn't like his voice plus and the Sylvari is more fun playstyle-wise) and there were only a handful of occasions where people assumed my real life gender to be female as well and even those occasions weren't awkward or unpleasant in any kind.

It's sad that this is still being regarded as an issue by some in 2023.

This is the reason why I often proclaim my RL gender when someone refers to me as "he" in-game, to raise people's attention to the fact that nearly 50% of gamers are women.

It's just silly to assume otherwise, and it's also silly to have resentments to play a female char. :classic_rolleyes:

• Confused 1

Just do it. I mean ... there was no real info given that would enable us to give you some helpful advice. Personally I am male and I do not like the idea of using mainly female chars. (A lot male persons do l ike it - then wearing sexy armor and stuff. Not to my taste.)

With the game being pretty beginner-friendly and easy to level and to access most content (no grea treadmill) this was my first MMORPG where I hit max level and even started to play other chars. With there being 9 main professions and 5 races ... I made my last 4 chars (after I had male chars for the first 5 professions) female ... except the Charr (too ugly) I now have one from each race/gender combination. Tried to even split the orders (all played through core story) they joined a bit evenly ... 3 whispers, 3 vigil, 3 priory lol.

Since the mesmer (my first female char) is pretty helpful to others (being able to portal) ... I decided to later turn it into my 2nd main. Also liked the idea to use fancy colors lol. My 2nd human - and I mostly prefer humans. If I remember correctly I used the noble backgrond + circus thing for the story/past options. Seems to fit well with some female clothed armor. (Still stuck with some cheap ingame core karma or dropped skins - simliar with my main engineer lol. Or no ... I think I used the crafted exotic level 80 for the female mesmer. Then fancy/purple colors and some other skin options like the one for the eyes ... red effect - from killing the bloodstone mobs. Achievement unlocked head slot skin.)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

It's sad that this is still being regarded as an issue by some in 2023.

This is the reason why I often proclaim my RL gender when someone refers to me as "he" in-game, to raise people's attention to the fact that nearly 50% of gamers are women.

It's just silly to assume otherwise, and it's also silly to have resentments to play a female char. :classic_rolleyes:

Agreed. It would be sad if the gender of your toon was an issue, but imagine you see your character as an ingame representation of yourself or simply lack the confidence to explain the reason for your choice.