Will Relics invalidate legendary runes? [Merged]

Just now, Falson.5284 said:

They aren't being literal. They're saying the Quality of Life of the legendary run was the ability to change the 6th rune bonus easily and at will. That functionality is now lost, and essentially you will have to go back to purchasing multiple copies of the new item, relics, to change what used to be the 6th slot bonus. This is a bad thing

Ahhh -- well, yes, that is actually true. But it will add a new goal even for veteran players, so I am fine with it... for now. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Ashantara.8731 said:

I think you are misunderstanding the concept. Of course exotic runes will also be reworked and no longer have the additional functionalities they currently have in their sixth slot. The sixth slot will be reduced to a stat bonus on all runes, not just legendary ones.

Yep. However right now if I log in I can change my ranger main from running full berserker/scholars to say celestial/diviners with just a few clicks, no extra anything in inventory. Then as my situation changes maybe I decide for nostalgia sake I want to run soldier's stats with runes of durability, and again with a couple clicks I can do that. 

After the update I will have that functionality for STATS but will have to keep or acquire a durability relic, scholars relic & diviners relic to be able to make the same changes AND keep them in my inventory for any future changes.

• Like 6

Just now, Moira Shalaar.5620 said:

After the update I will have that functionality for STATS but will have to keep or acquire a durability relic, scholars relic & diviners relic to be able to make the same changes AND keep them in my inventory for any future changes.

You are right, it will take longer to swap builds that way. Hmm, we'll see how that plays out.

5 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I think you are misunderstanding the concept. Of course exotic runes will also be reworked and no longer have the additional functionalities they currently have in their sixth slot. The sixth slot will be reduced to a stat bonus on all runes, not just legendary ones.

8 minutes ago, Essence Snow.3194 said:

The thing is that you'll need to have that Legendary Relic to re-attain the functionality that Legendary Runes currently afford you. Until you get a Legendary Relic you can still swap some of your stats, but you'll have to go back to non-Legendary Rune functionality for the 6th stat bonus. Thus it invalidates quick swapping functionality Legendary Runes currently have.

What they are saying is that, from how its communicated in the announcement post, you will have to have a relic for each of the removed 6th tier rune bonus.

So for instance:

Superior Rune of Sanctuary 6th rune bonus is "Gain a barrier with health equal to 10% of any heals you receive." and

Superior Rune of the Monk 6th rune bonus is "+10% Healing effectiveness to other allies; increase healing effectiveness to other allies by an additional 1% for 3 seconds after granting a boon to any ally (up to a maximum of 10 stacks). "

So you would in theory need a relic for each of those bonuses? Making part of the quick swap QoL utility lost.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Balsa.3951 said:

u buy a house with a swimming pool they remove ur pool by force. u say its ok i still have my house let them sell me the pool again

Dont quite see the reason for the change but if you can buy a house with a pool you can build a new pool no problemo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

Whoa whoa whoa there, I did -not- farm 6 legendary runes for no reason here. I did that on purpose so I would never have to worry about trying new builds on a whim whenever I felt like. This is not okay. They need to compensate for the change and give free legendary relics to people that already have the runes... and honestly the fact I have -SIX- legendary runes when there's only ONE relic slot now feels extremely invalidating. This was not a good move Anet.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

I hope people will refrain from preordering the new expansion... Anet seems more and more to have nothing but contempt regarding long time players. Newcomers are provided every possible shortcuts to access endgame contents while those who were here from the start now should have to re-farm to re-obtain already unlocked content?

Legendary runes owners should have every relics unlocked by default.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Ahhh -- well, yes, that is actually true. But it will add a new goal even for veteran players, so I am fine with it... for now. 😉

I'm fine with new goals. I'm not exactly fine with "new goals" being regurgitated/newly disconnected old features. I think that's the -potential- issue here.

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

++ What? I have full set of 7 legendary runes. If you are removing 1 functionality from them, either:  a) refund me proportionate cost b) Give me the legendary Relic

At least put Legendary Relic into game and announce it? I see no mention on it. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Easy path to quell anger here is 6 legendary runes unlocked lets you claim an item to help craft a legendary relic. 

Im assuming same number of runes (matched to armor pieces) plus a new slot. So you won't lose any runes or waste having a full set, however you do lose functionality (but with potential for greater flexibility in a new system letting you swap different relic effects but select your rune stat combo).

6 (not a full seven) should be enough to at least grant partial progress towards the relic. Or unlock a relic related collection required for a legendary relic. 

It would be bad form to strip major functionality out of runes with no compensation (even if that still requires spending more gold to get to legendary relic).

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Falson.5284 said:

I feel this. If it ends up being that way, and they don't compensate legendary rune owners significantly, I'll be quitting for the foreseeable future. I've already been searching for reasons to stay and it seems the devs are adamant about not providing any. 

If we wanted to have previous progress taken away and be forced to start over with a new expansion, we'd play WoW

The WoW comment part of your post rings so true and it's quite sad that ANET would stoop so low as to make the same "New Feature" scam as Blizzard usually do: "Hey we took away all your skills so you can reaquire them again with the same exact function as before, aren't you happy?".

Unless it's just a major oversight on their part.

I really hope that there will be some sort of solution to this that does not require legendary runes owners to do what seems to be the path now, that is to get robbed of the best part of the QoL that legendary runes provided and then ultimately farm materials for the creation of a possible future legendary relic to get that QoL back - because they've already put in that work.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

I made my legendary runes a few months ago and I'm also concerned about the relics. I guess if they give everyone who made 6-7 Runes a free legendary relic, I'm fine with it. Otherwise... I mean I have enough gold and resources to craft a legendary relic. Probably. But I'll still resent Anet for taking that 6th rune bonus that I made legendary runes for in the first place.

• Like 7

My understanding is that the second perk of the 6th rune will now be placed in a new slot, namely the relic, completely independent of the runes.

For example, Rune of Speed. Its description is:

"+20% Swiftness Duration; increase movement speed by 66% when under the effect of swiftness."

In the new setting, the first perk, +20% Swiftness Duration, will be part of the 6th rune. The second perk, increase movement speed by 66% when under the effect of swiftness, will be alloted to a relic.

I see only two outcomes for Legendary Runes:

1. If the Legendary Runes do NOT include a legendary relic, then this change will completely nerf the legendary runes.
  2. If the Legendary Runes do include a legendary relic, then this change will make legendary runes super atractive.

I would hold crafting any legendary runes. The second perk on the 6th rune is what most people look for, so it would be way more efficient to have a 1 legendary relic than 6 legendary runes.

Edited by Meva.8327
  • Like 4

I'm in the camp of, I actually fairly recently got legendary runes and this feels like a direct nerf to my goals. I 100% made these runes so I would be able to freely change around my builds without having to care about getting new things, farming old or new currencies, or feel like I am punished for trying random 'off-meta' runesets. I would have never bothered with them at all if it was just a flat stat increase and nothing else.

• Like 12

I'm a little leery of all these new little gear slots with more ways to min/max, and it sounds rather alt-unfriendly compared to how most gearing has worked in the past. I was hoping Anet wouldn't keep going in the direction of the jade bot cores but it appears like they will be again with these relics, and I'm a bit disappointed. Let's hope this is the last time they do this.

Edited by Caitmonster.9036
  • Like 5

Yeah this is pretty crap, really. I have Legendary Runes, I crafted them so I didn't have to worry about buying runes, could free up bank space and could freely change them at will.

Now they've stripped the unique functionality that rune sets had and I'll have to farm to make Relics that will end up clogging my bank. This hasn't streamlined runes. It's introduced a new item that's another pain in the kitten.

• Like 6

I don't really get this new system. This feels less like streamlining than change for the sake of change - presumably so that the new team can feel like they have ownership over the design. I'm not convinced by the blog that is doing what they think it is doing

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

You are fine with Anet taking away something that people have already worked and paid for so that they can sell it to them again?

I am not sure that it is even really a new goal for veteran players as it would establish the precedent that ANet might take it away again.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 8