We want legendary relics on relics release

On 8/7/2023 at 3:33 PM, Acheron.1580 said:

I genuinely think they were told to come up with new mechanics, and just completely forgot about legendary runes in the process, which is saying something else that isn't terribly positive.

I've said this same thing elsewhere, but I'd like to reiterate my agreement with it here. If something as recent and high-tier as legendary runes was just... forgotten about, this suggests at worst rank incompetence, and at best a studio distracted by other matters. While I have no solid evidence (other than Anet hiring for a UE5 position) that side projects are firing up again, I just can't shake the feeling that we're all going to have to re-live that period of Anet failing at both side projects and managing GW2 properly.

I still haven't made my peace with Anet taking away a core element of builds, and regurgitating it back on us as "new content," but I've just given up and accepted that this poorly-considered decision is just going to be another burden we bear for actually liking this game. I just hope it's the last time they feel safe doing it.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Dondarrion.2748 said:

No, it isn't arbitrary today, today you get the one that comes from choosing 6 runes from the same set. You can't for example get the bonus effect of Monk set of you make your legendary runes the Scholar set. You only get 1 fixed bonus effect to go with your selected rune set.

Yes yes we all know how runes work. As far as we know these 6 pieces aren't even going to be the same when they become relics, as suggested by the change to thief, and zephyrite. The irony is that most of the 6 pieces for meta runes aren't even that great (Scholar you take for the ferocity and the 6 piece, condi ones you take for the duration), the only one that I think is pretty stand out is monk. But along that line of thinking, you wouldn't mix monk and scholar because they are completely different build sets, so what is most likely going to happen is just taking scholar + scholar, which we wouldn't even have to worry about if they hadn't taken it away in the first place. So yes, it is arbitrary, relics could have just been their own slot without involving runes at all. It's like they started the process of trying to update runes, couldn't figure it out (because there are 100+ and a LOT of them are garbage), and took the path of least resistance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

7 hours ago, Acheron.1580 said:

Yes yes we all know how runes work. As far as we know these 6 pieces aren't even going to be the same when they become relics, as suggested by the change to thief, and zephyrite. The irony is that most of the 6 pieces for meta runes aren't even that great (Scholar you take for the ferocity and the 6 piece, condi ones you take for the duration), the only one that I think is pretty stand out is monk. But along that line of thinking, you wouldn't mix monk and scholar because they are completely different build sets, so what is most likely going to happen is just taking scholar + scholar...

First of all, leave that tone by the door or you can pay attention to Anet/moderator's post about keeping it civil. Both this post and last time you responded. No need to start off snarky.

As for runes and selectionl, judging by some responses in some of the plethora of threads on this, it would nearly seem some don't know in how and what they're asking to be compensated and what they're losing. I'm hoping Anet now might use this change to perhaps add more build diversity by allowing more mixing and matching of rune sets so that we don't just end up with players selecting Scholar rune and Scholar relic, and Monk rune and Monk relic, or Nightmare rune and Nightmare relic. Previously, some people even said they chose runes SIMPLY for the 6th bonus effect, and now they can then choose that relic, and then perhaps find other runes that might better cater to their build.

Until I've seen this new system in effect, I won't be making lots of doom'n'gloom on it, and then we can see after the change.

• Like 2
  • Confused 7

7 hours ago, Dondarrion.2748 said:

First of all, leave that tone by the door or you can pay attention to Anet/moderator's post about keeping it civil. Both this post and last time you responded. No need to start off snarky.

As for runes and selectionl, judging by some responses in some of the plethora of threads on this, it would nearly seem some don't know in how and what they're asking to be compensated and what they're losing. I'm hoping Anet now might use this change to perhaps add more build diversity by allowing more mixing and matching of rune sets so that we don't just end up with players selecting Scholar rune and Scholar relic, and Monk rune and Monk relic, or Nightmare rune and Nightmare relic. Previously, some people even said they chose runes SIMPLY for the 6th bonus effect, and now they can then choose that relic, and then perhaps find other runes that might better cater to their build.

Until I've seen this new system in effect, I won't be making lots of doom'n'gloom on it, and then we can see after the change.

I beg to differ, we don't need to see it to know it is a terrible implementation. It will be too late when implemented as it is to voice our concerns. The lack of details and communication, 10 days away from the release date, throws quite a bit of shade over this Xpac as a whole, and the relic system as a main feature.

• Like 4
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

There's no way to not sound snarky but I'll try my best. You current contribution to the discussion has been:

- Relics are something new

- Runes are losing some functionality that will be moved to the relics that will have to be reacquired, and that we get 3 relics per account (it's actually per character above 60)

-How runes work right now, and how they will work after the patch

-That we are getting significant progress towards legendary runes, at some date, and that that should be sufficient, despite not even knowing what significant progress means.

Everything here is already covered by the Anet blogpost. It doesn't reflect anything that was being discussed in this thread. It doesn't offer solutions, or a reasonable argument for why you think this new system is going to be so boss, other than you HOPE that it will increase build diversity. It won't, let me explain (here comes more of the doom and gloom, which I just call cynical reality).

Runes

So we are keeping in all of the runes, including the completely useless ones, but for the majority of power users you want

Scholar if you are crit capped, maybe golemancer, or spellbreaker if you aren't. With the change since scholar is most likely to offer the most ferocity still, that probably won't even change, and everything that gives power/precision will at best have side grades or "useless" stats like vit, movement speed. In the end you are going to be shoehorned into the same dps runes, doubly so for condition damage which will be the specific condition duration or nightmare. For healer you have your options of monk, water, altruism, rebirth once again depending on which one ends up with the best 6 piece stat. And then there's the niche ones that currently get used already for wvw, raid tanking, etc. In WvW I wouldn't be surprised if we had little change, or a slight shift to people using more +all stat runes if their 6 piece was the only reason they were using their current runes. In this way you aren't going to have any more diversity in runes, it doesn't improve the rune system at all.

Relics

Let's assume Anet wants to keep things pretty tight in the dps department. So maybe there's 5-10 new dps runes, each with a different flavor of stacking damage (like thief's 5% cap when using cooldowns or spending resources, maybe theres one for minion/pet ability use, one for using class specific resources like shroud, burst, CA, etc). Wow, that's a lot of diversity to be able to choose a different way to get 5% damage. The reality is since every dps would just be getting a flat 5% increase, they are going to pick whatever rune allows them to accomplish it without paying attention to the relic in question, they will find the most guaranteed passive way to maintain it without having to even think about the fact that they even have a relic equipped.

What about healing and support? Monk is a shoe-in right now, since it has no cooldown and it's requirements are a given. Any relic 6 piece that has a boon it offers on a cooldown when you do something specific is a waste, 100%. If you already provide the boon it won't be needed, and if you can't normally provide the boon you won't be able to maintain 100% uptime so why even have it? There may be fringe cases (like hand kiting) where there's a relic that helps a lot, but in general I suspect these relics aren't going to see as much play.

Where I think relics do shine is their example of the wizard tower relic, where it's a fairly unique idea with a really interesting effect. At best though this is an open world relic, and I don't imagine too many people want to walk around with several relics in their bags and will probably stick to a standard dps increase rather than a conditional interesting relic. In that case, I feel like there is LESS diversity in choice because you have neat ideas for relics that now won't get utilized because meta dictates whatever gives the most dps for a dps class is the answer, whatever gives the best healing is best for the healers. These interesting relics are going to be niche, open world, or forgotten.

That is why my argument is they just shouldn't change runes. That's is my argument for why moving rune 6 pieces to relics are just a bad idea both from to the value (monetary and diversity and choice) that gets stripped away from both runes and relics as a result. The system inherently adds no value to player choice, diversity or playstyle.

I have yet to see an argument as to why the system will improve or be better than it is, and most people just come in here and tell people to stop being upset, or stop whining, or that it is going to be awesome, or that the compensation will be great without having anything to back it up.

Edited by Acheron.1580
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I'd also like to say that Anet is talking about how relics will continue to be produced based on story components and they will continue to add more, but unless they are somehow meta breaking they also will probably be a "neat" flavor and then ignored. If they really wanted to make it a deep system they shouldn't have tied it to dps at all, and by extension shouldn't have taken it from runes.

• Like 7
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

At least chances are high its going to be before the world restructure update we where supposed to get over a month ago.

World restructuring.

....world restructuring....

Hmm, that sounds vaguely familiar. 

....really they couldnt take the time to post a single sentence. That is how little keeping their word means to them.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

On 8/18/2023 at 9:46 AM, Astralporing.1957 said:

Considering we're talking about new expansion features, the lack of information about SotO is quite unusual. Even for Anet.

Which informations should we have but we don't, when compared to the previous expansions?

Edited by Sobx.1758

5 hours ago, Balsa.3951 said:

why the silence Ruby? u avoided answer the main question ppl had.

will legendary rune owners get compensation

im not ok with getting only significant progress and wait a year.

Not  going  to get that answer now bud.

They have gained over 90% of the preorders they are gonna get so dont care anymore. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Balsa.3951 said:

why the silence Ruby? u avoided answer the main question ppl had.

will legendary rune owners get compensation

im not ok with getting only significant progress and wait a year.

I think getting """"""""""""""""""significant progress"""""""""""""""""""""""" at some not yet disclosed point in the next 12 months is our answer.

Let's face it. This is a disaster. The devs simply forgot about some of the most engaged players and, what's even worse, forgot about the design philosophy of the game. BiS means nothing, Legendaries mean nothing, your time/gold investment means nothing. If ANet can artificially generate playhours, by invalidating gear and introoducing new gear, they will. Looking forward to having this whole song and dance every year now, like with every other MMO out there. This years relics will be next years belts will be toerings the year after.This makes me very sad and also make think what I could do with my time beside wasting it in Tyria, since it doesn't count for anything anymore. We'll see what the future brings...

The next sad thing is, that we don't even know when legendary relics will be introduced. "At some point in 2024" is just PR speak for "we kinda forgot and have to scramble together workhours to code th thing". As a company who has more often than not abandoned relase schedules. I will not trust a company that has promised us f.e. alliances to be released in 2021 to release the rest of the expansion which people have already paid for btw, on schedule. So when will we get this famed significant progress? Who knows, not even the devs know I bet.

Again, it's a disaster.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1