Why so Much Asset Reuse Lately?

38 minutes ago, jokke.6239 said:

I wonder if it will feel connected or not when exploring

Kind of gives me Crown Pavilion vibes

It looks like they use separate portals between each mini-zone (See bluish portal-like thing at 0:08).

Edited by Poormany.4507

The latest trailer clearly shows how most areas in the new expansion are just a bunch of copypaste. We've already seen from previously released videos that the mobs are also copypaste. What an embarrassment.

This is the first time I'm actually considering to not buy the new gw2 content. I'm going to wait until it comes out and only buy if I see that it has good content.

• Like 6
  • Confused 4

6 hours ago, Jokuc.3478 said:

The latest trailer clearly shows how most areas in the new expansion are just a bunch of copypaste. We've already seen from previously released videos that the mobs are also copypaste. What an embarrassment.

This is the first time I'm actually considering to not buy the new gw2 content. I'm going to wait until it comes out and only buy if I see that it has good content.

jahai bluffs and dragonfall are some of the most popular and well-praised maps in the game. they are also mostly copy-paste! the only thing that is an embarassment is entitled players thinking they should get all new art assets every single release.

also they want that and for the expansion to be cheap as well. apparently making art doesn't cost anything?

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

I don't mind that we are going to revisit "old assets" locations as long as the story is good. Those places looked good in the past and will still look good now. Besides, we are also getting the new design of the Wizard's Tower and its surroundings. The old locations were truly beautiful, except Cantha/Kaineng, so I don't see any reason to complain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

The problem is not to reuse old assets. The problem is that they deleted the season 6 of LW to create this new expansion. And during this amount of time, one and half year, all they did is to take old maps assets, that's why it's not a good thing. They told us that they want to do smaller expansion but the quality would be more important, clearly that's not the case. I can't see the quality when you used old assets and pretending that's new !   

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 3

You know things are bad when even the people trying to defend bad dev choices and them reusing assets more obviously then before (I mean, did ya'll see all the clipping in Kaineng city?) are having to defend GW2 by comparing it to other MMO's.... when its never been like other MMO's. If GW2 is becoming like other mmo's then that's a really bad thing as other mmo's have been dying and have had many servers shut down, some mmo's died entirely and you cannot even play them anymore, or like Rift which died many times over, died when it went f2p and you could literally cash shop into end game gear and upgrades to stats you can't get outside of it to being sold to the game killing company. 

GW2 has always stood out and been different, not entirely sure why there's this push to make it comparable? Then again with Jade Bots which shouldn't exist already giving such a huge power creep its like they are trying every step in the book to put vertical progression into the game instead of keeping it balanced and horizontal. 

Give us something good to talk about, we all love this game right? If we not talking about the good stuff, if there is even a single "Controversial" thread then things are going poorly. There is no such thing as "doom sayers" when all of us here on this forum are here because we love GW2 and want to see it succeed. Watching it fail and denying it failing is just you going after other people who play the game just like you do. PoF did so well because it was seen as a return to form. Back then with PoF and living world 4 sure there was a few with concerns but the general consensus was a great outlook, if they kept that going the game right now could be so much better. WVW needs an update instead of being told they would get an update back in July 2021 that never came that was promised that year, pvp has been neglected for so long i'm amazed the games pvp even still exists in any form and has not bugged somehow preventing matchmaking. 

There's a lot they could be doing to make this game so much better, but instead they are copy pasting and making us pay for a living world. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

The problem with asset re-use is not the re-use itself.

The problem is when your creative flow starts by throwing all your existing assets on the table and saying "Right, let's see what we can build out of this stuff". Instead, creative process should use the pre-existing assets to complement your creative vision.

I try my best not to cling on to this game due to the "sunk cost" fallacy, but I still do sometimes. Sometimes I take breaks, but I could never lie to myself and say the game hasn't been on a downwards trend for years now.

I wonder how and why some people can.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Gorem.8104 said:

There is no such thing as "doom sayers" when all of us here on this forum are here because we love GW2 and want to see it succeed.

Yeah, that's just objectively false. There are a ton of players on here who's sole goal is to be negative about the game because they can't move on. This isn't even debatable, imo. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

1 hour ago, mandala.8507 said:

Yeah, that's just objectively false. There are a ton of players on here who's sole goal is to be negative about the game because they can't move on. This isn't even debatable, imo. 

Or perhaps they're GW veterans who are seeing, yet again, an ANet game going to the gutter.
This might be your first rodeo, but for many of us it's not.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 5

18 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

jahai bluffs and dragonfall are some of the most popular and well-praised maps in the game. they are also mostly copy-paste! the only thing that is an embarassment is entitled players thinking they should get all new art assets every single release.

also they want that and for the expansion to be cheap as well. apparently making art doesn't cost anything?

entitled seriously? Anet is not ur Mommy this is a business.

if ppl don't like the product direction they paid fir they have a right to show it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 6

1 hour ago, mandala.8507 said:

Well, if the posturing on this forum is to be believed, they haven't paid for jack 🤣

I paid for EoD with the hope and implicit understanding it would have the kinks fixed, and that the next expansion would be at least as good, if not better.

My dollars helped the company to develop SotO, as part of the cycle of goodwill and trust that sustain episodic franchise media. So yes I have a right to complain.

None of us have to be so suggestible as to buy a bad product--especially went past performance and present marketing indicate as such--just to have some intangible right to criticize it. That is neoliberal, apologist nonsense.

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

5 minutes ago, Batalix.2873 said:

My dollars helped the company to develop SotO, as part of the cycle of goodwill and trust that sustain episodic franchise media. So yes I have a right to complain.

That is absolutely not what your dollars did. Your dollars were exchanged in a transaction to play End of Dragons. Period. End of story. 

10 minutes ago, Batalix.2873 said:

None of us have to be so suggestible as to buy a bad product--especially went past performance and present marketing indicate as such--just to have some intangible right to criticize it. That is neoliberal, apologist nonsense.

I mean, if someone tried to tell me pizza was gross without ever eating a pizza, and then said that the advertisements for pizza didn't impress them, and so they had every right to judge it by its presentation alone, I would absolutely ignore that person's opinion.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1