Whats if youtubers like Teapot created a "Shadowly High Table" to help with balance ?

Woof.8246

If you want to make a Just pool, representative of the playerbase to give advice on how to balance the game, the last thing you do is compose the group of the exact same type of player. You either make it fully varied, with equal representation of casual, pro, old and new players. Or you build it to reflect your playerbase as it is currently and renew the batch every time you call on it.

The first method is easier to manage, the second require more work but is more accurate a representation. By definition "Fun" for a casual player and for a pro player is generally Very different. Taking advice from only one will alienate the other. Taking the opinions of both allows for atleast a compromise. It let's the dev see what is considered efficient and thus fun from a pro player's perspective, and what is interesting and thus fun for a casual.

Honestly though ? If it isn't already happening, then I dont see it happening.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

No. Content creators, more often than not actually make games worse because their perspective is from the standpoint of someone no lifing it, and even when their lemmings agree they have good ideas, 90% of the time it falls flat with the rest of the player base. Asmongold single handedly ruined wow while gaslighting the devs who listened to his advice.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

On 8/12/2023 at 8:07 PM, Woof.8246 said:

As the title say, what if this happened and was consisted of trustworthy people , from different expertise like Nike for his  WvW-boonfest-viewpoint ?

The requirements to join  are simple , where you choose from 2 options :

a) will you do your best to help your "friends" , before loosing them to other games (most likely will come back after 6 months --2 years) ?

b) will you prevent a "Wildstar" scenario ( before you loose both friends and game) ?

Edit:

Wouldn't be a better solution although ?

High end players tend to propose decisions that favor their guilds - teams , in order to have edge over the competition  and  get well known to the community  .

Youtubers in other hand  , they are already  loved by the community and as as side project they are competitive by nature .

I believe , that we just need  the "right" people that they will aim for the survival of the game, rather that help their friends get an edge over the competition and the fame that follows .

Errr... I saw his balance patch reviews at how great the new changes were to scrapper.  So yeah since that was completely not the case and he didn't consider the PvP implications... lets say no he should never be allowed to balance classes he knows nothing about.

• Like 3

I love these 'what if' scenarios that 'never will'. Like, somehow the survival of a game that's almost 11 years in is a critical concern over balance (because that's never happened to begin with) because of how streamers do their thing? Like ... What even is this discussion? 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

On 8/12/2023 at 8:07 PM, Woof.8246 said:

As the title say, what if this happened and was consisted of trustworthy people , from different expertise like Nike for his  WvW-boonfest-viewpoint ?

The requirements to join  are simple , where you choose from 2 options :

a) will you do your best to help your "friends" , before loosing them to other games (most likely will come back after 6 months --2 years) ?

b) will you prevent a "Wildstar" scenario ( before you loose both friends and game) ?

Edit:

Wouldn't be a better solution although ?

High end players tend to propose decisions that favor their guilds - teams , in order to have edge over the competition  and  get well known to the community  .

Youtubers in other hand  , they are already  loved by the community and as as side project they are competitive by nature .

I believe , that we just need  the "right" people that they will aim for the survival of the game, rather that help their friends get an edge over the competition and the fame that follows .

You mean like the 'shadowy high table' that already exists?

On 8/13/2023 at 4:38 AM, Biziut.3594 said:

I do not think You Tubers are the best autorithy when it comes to the things this game / balancing needs. ANet have their data, it's their game, and even tho we all know how the balance is looking in this game (hell I am a mostly deadeye thief myself), in my opinion responsibility of balancing the game lies in ANet and ANet only.

We (youtubers included) can only whine or be happy about it for some feedback and constructive criticism.

No they do not but you would be surprised how many decisions get influenced because of streamers in other games though.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Ryou.2398 said:

No they do not but you would be surprised how many decisions get influenced because of streamers in other games though.

I know, sadly. I just don't care since we talk here about guild wars. Call me a boomer but I'm not really a fan of this streamers cults nor streamers themselves.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Biziut.3594 said:

I know, sadly. I just don't care since we talk here about guild wars. Call me a boomer but I'm not really a fan of this streamers cults nor streamers themselves.

I have never been for it neither it degrades gaming in my experience, but I do understand people trying to make their passions into income.

Edited by Ryou.2398
  • Sad 1

I think the problem is the most vocal players are being mistaken by the ones that knows what's best for the game.

What's best for the game is an incredibly nebulous concept though. One can be very skilled or knowledgeable at playing the game but not be good at changing the game. It is easy to say remove this or add that, but it all needs to be a plan that leaves things sustainable in the future. 

And unfortunately when it comes to big competitive streamers, short sightedness tends to be a common problem, especially if they find themselves stuck in an echo chamber. The same can be said with certain guilds as well, if they isolate themselves from the rest of the community.

But you don't need to take my ramblings at face value. As many have pointed out, something like this has been tried, and it's amazing how that lead to many shortsighted and myopic decisions. People that can't look past their own corner of the game can certainly give feedback, but this is why we need a multitude of viewpoints.

And honestly just read any balance discussion. Very few people would ask for nerfs to something they play, usually under the narrative that they work really hard and everyone else is just exploiting something. That mentality does not simply  go away even as people get better at the game.

This is not to say that content creators shouldn't be heard. But one should really consider how set in their ways they are, and how open they are to other people's ideas.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480