Sword-Wielding Necromancers Are Gluttons for Punishment

Rubi Bayer.8493

These look spicy. 

Sacrificing health has been something necros have been excited about for a while, so it's nice that we finally get that playstyle. Could be quite fun if it's balanced right (which might be hard to achieve).

I am a bit cautious about how swords will fit in with the other weapons too, as there is quite some overlap with Dagger, Axe and GS. Hopefully it won't be stepping on the toes of the other weapons too much and manage to find a healthy niche. Poor dagger just recently managed to find a niche for itself...

Mobility, self-sustain, and damage also sounds like a very scary combination for pvp.

Edited by Wulfhearth.7962
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wulfhearth.7962 said:

These look spicy. 

Sacrificing health has been something necros have been excited about for a while, so it's nice that we finally get that playstyle. Could be quite fun. 

I am a bit cautious about how swords will fit in with the other weapons, they seem like they might be challenging to balance. Hopefully it won't be stepping on the toes of other weapons too much. Poor dagger just recently managed to find a niche for itself...

Mobility, self-sustain, and damage also sounds like a very scary combination for pvp.

I'm worried too.  If mainhand sword is indeed ranged, it looks like it's going to take over the niche for axe and dagger simultaneously.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Drarnor Kunoram.5180 said:

I'm worried too.  If mainhand sword is indeed ranged, it looks like it's going to take over the niche for axe and dagger simultaneously.

takes over probably aoe greatsword, axe ranged and dagger self lifesteal. Ontop this all good life force.

I am only worried how big the life sacrifice be

This is so disappointing, instead of getting a mellee condi weapon or a ranged power offhand that does not have the trash life stealing mechanic that plagues focus and war horn, we get ranged aoe power with lifestealing.  In the end, this weapons will probably be dead of arrival, unless there is will be a change on how life steal works with precision and ferocity. 

Necro already had a range AOE power weapon, its called staff. Necro already has two life steal, healing offhands, they are called focus and warhorn. Again it is Anet design philosophy to design 100% on favor, than on balance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 12

20 minutes ago, arazoth.7290 said:

Lets hope the life sacrifice isn't too large. Because then 2nd abilties will be too suicidal in trade for more damage, mostly in pvp/WvW.

For pve they can easy buff the self healing enough for big sustain too outdo the self sacrifice. For pve will be lovely

Yep, there's a serious risk they'll either be permanently dead or immortal.

Neither would be good. 😅

4 minutes ago, Wulfhearth.7962 said:

Neither would be good. 😅

What I can see happening in pvp/WvW. the 2nd abiltie that sacrificrd health won't be really used and mostly to selfheal only. So you get many heals now and then switch weapons or going shroud

2 minutes ago, Wulfhearth.7962 said:

Neither would be good. 😅

I doubt the "immortal" part, core necromancer already offer self healing on some of it's weapon skillkit and it's far from making him "immortal". On another hand the self-harm might really kill the necromancer (it remind me of the old plague form that used to provide enough self bleed to kill the user).

I quite like the design, even it may only be used by Reaper and even Scourge still doesn't have a good healing weapon. 

But finally, necro has some movement weapon skills. Necro has the worst mobility for too long. Ele and mesmer are also light armor classes but way more mobile. I can see how this will be popular in pvp,wvw and openworld. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

I'm less happy than most here. Necro power weapons are actually good as they are. Either they were good from the start (gs) or had small reworks (axe, dagger).
It's condi weapons (Staff, Scepter) that are a snooze fest and lacked any melee option. But that's still not on the table apprarently.

I was definitely expecting a melee condi and/or support weapon rather than another power weapon as well. 

It's weird how for some classes they chose to give them what they lack and fill in niches, and for other classes they give them more of what the class already has a lot of... 

2 hours ago, Daevhalla.7823 said:

They look amazing and will probably play best with scourge and reaper.

And wooooooooooooooooooo! we're getting leap!

The Scourge seems to be the spec least capable of using this.

Everything in the Scourge line is focused on Burning and Torment. 

At least the Harbinger gets increased Strike damage based on Blight. Sword seems to have good life steal for the reduced health on Harbinger but it's power comes from sacrificing life so that may be too risky for Harbinger.

The weapons look to me to really be geared for Reaper.

• Like 1

Was really terrified of what it could be, but I'm glad its a power weapon and looks really great. Downside is that I cannot tell if its a ranged weapon or close combat, even if one of the skills is a gap closer/retreat. Not sure about the risk and reward thing especially combined with the Harbinger traits.

The melee condi camp is just being weird. Any ranged condi weapon (of which we now have two, one being absolutely GOAT) can be used in melee range. No melee condi weapon Anet could give us was going to compete with what we already have. 

As for the theme, it will be interesting to see how OH sword pairs with MH dagger. Looks like it's going to give players lots of choice for how they play and control the fights. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3