Not being able to join groups without entering the discord servers in WvW

eriniy.8607

I waited in line at WvW and started playing, but none of the existing groups would let me into their parties.Because I didn't join their discord. But there is a trick here.First of all, I do not know the addresses of the discords that I need to join, and they are special discords for guilds anyway. In other words, in order to enter a group to play with other WvW players, I have to leave my own guilds, enter theirs, and join their discords.Of course, I know that I will face a lot of harassment because I am a woman and English is not my native language.Well, I would like to say a few words about your discord servers and guilds.While I was wondering why we kept losing the war, I suddenly had an epiphany today.Because you want us to lose the war. Otherwise, I wouldn't be forced to fill out ten pages of text and use a third party software.Moreover, all this is only required for an hour or two of playing with other players. The game rules do not apply to third-party software and it is quite surprising to ask for this.Well, good luck in your discord servers and losing the war. My 6 full pvp equipped characters and I are not helping you.

Edited by eriniy.8607
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 31
  • Sad 4

I will just say you do not need to join a WvW guild or even their discord to play WvW effectively. I have been in a lot of PUG commander groups there, and we have won just fine encounters. Being in a WvW guild group is not a requirement, I would say for myself I enjoy WvW more because I am not in one. There more then enough random PUG commanders out there who will take you in while they are online for that map for you to get points still.

Edited by Doctor Hide.6345
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1) I'm a woman and I didn't experience harassment towards myself, because I'm female, for years. (Which doesn't mean I didn't experience sexism in general in Guild Wars 2)

2) You don't need to talk in voice chat. It is for organising that squad. You listen to the commander. For replies you can use the squad chat in game.
I don't even have my headset plugged in most of the time. I don't speak English in voice chat, so no need.

3) Just don't run with guilds on their guild intern evenings. Look for an open squad or join a wvw guild that has own guild runs and stick to it. Guild hopping for squad joining will just get u black listed.
I mostly stick to the community guild of a server.

4) Third party software isn't against the rules per se. I use Blish HUD.
Not sure what you are talking about, being told from a guild to use third party software. I guess Arc DPS?
It's fine with the rules as well. But I understand people who do not want such a comparison meter in their face. However, everyone else sees what you do and what not anyway, with that tool. It can help to improve your game play or help deciding what you want to play if you are uncertain.

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Like 17

15 minutes ago, Doctor Hide.6345 said:

I will just say you do not need to join a WvW guild or even their discord to play WvW effectively. I have been in a lot of PUG commander groups there, and we have won just fine encounters. Being in a WvW guild group is not a requirement, I would say for myself I enjoy WvW more because I am not in one. There more then enough random PUG commanders out there who will take you in while they are online for that map for you to get points still.

I second this ...there are frequently commanders with open tags who welcome PUGs.  I primarily roam, I am not in an organized WvW guild, but I often group up with a tag or simply follow in order to finish off weeklies or just for some fun.  I do not use discord, I'm not into that structured of play;  some commanders share their discord info, but it is not mandatory.   

There is no reason you can not play WvW because you do not use discord.  You do not have to join a guild for it.  Simply do not play with guilds who require it, if that is your choice.  It is easier to coordinate groups with voice chat, so for more organized and structured groups it makes sense for convenience.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I will say it okay to vent a little, parts of this game are incredibly gate kept by certain groups of people and they normally do take kindly to anyone not like them. 

Gender can come into play but most I have seen it in creepy actions rather than overbearing discord voice chats. I mean it might supprise other people, GW2 discords are primarily filled with girls I find. 

My recommendation is to swap server, I was in Blackgate for years and suffered some annoying trolling or map abuse. That all went away on a different server. No one kicks me for straying to far the commander any more. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

6 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

If both sides use discord(which is highly likely) , someone still has to wipe. 

So his statement still stands true. 

I never said that it wasn't true.  Perhaps it is, from his point of view.  Doesn't necessarily make it "more fun".  That's the subjective part.

Edited by kharmin.7683
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 8

14 hours ago, Doctor Hide.6345 said:

This. You can either roam or join pug groups, whichever fits your choice of gameplay atm. It's obvious voice coordination is helpful if you're not clouding (though I'm sure it can be helpful even there) but some people have reasons not to use discord or join guilds and they're free to choose to play without. Personally discord makes me lag and I'm getting enough of that in WvW so I don't use it, but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying roaming or following pug coms.

About the the gender part, well... imho it can't be a problem as long as you don't share too much personal things about yourself in a game like, say, your gender 😉

Edit/caveat : if your server is either in T1 or T5 atm though, you're probably not going to have fun with the current matchup anyway 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Sirvaleen.1379
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Albadaran.1283 said:

As for Discord: I don't understand why guilds insist that you share your profile with a Guild wars code. Please make it easier so every guild member can participate on your Guild Discord for 100% without having to use that code.

You pull the world from the API with that key so you get less spies.

• Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, eriniy.8607 said:

I waited in line at WvW and started playing, but none of the existing groups would let me into their parties.Because I didn't join their discord. But there is a trick here.First of all, I do not know the addresses of the discords that I need to join, and they are special discords for guilds anyway. In other words, in order to enter a group to play with other WvW players, I have to leave my own guilds, enter theirs, and join their discords.Of course, I know that I will face a lot of harassment because I am a woman and English is not my native language.Well, I would like to say a few words about your discord servers and guilds.While I was wondering why we kept losing the war, I suddenly had an epiphany today.Because you want us to lose the war. Otherwise, I wouldn't be forced to fill out ten pages of text and use a third party software.Moreover, all this is only required for an hour or two of playing with other players. The game rules do not apply to third-party software and it is quite surprising to ask for this.Well, good luck in your discord servers and losing the war. My 6 full pvp equipped characters and I are not helping you.

Usually you aren't require to speak, all you need to do is listen. You also do not need to leave your guild to join another's discord. You also do not need to fill out anything to join discord, it's available on website and if you prefer, download the app. 

Not joining discord in an organised squad is irresponsible, because if you make a mistake, you will get kill and possibly rally the enemies. You will also not be able to coordinate skills that commander call out, when and where to drop them, making the coordinated attack less effective. 

I know why you are scare to talk, the first time I talk was in teamspeak way back when, and was harassed, shamed and make fun of. But don't be afraid. There are more  friendly people in this game than there are morons.

Lastly, discord isn't exactly that kind of third party software. It is not installed to change how the game works, it's another software all together. You can even install it on your phone or tablet.

Edited by SweetPotato.7456
  • Like 3

GW2 Player in a nutshell:

* They don't want to play with me because I refuse to follow their rules OH NOES!! What did I possibly do wrong!

* Maybe is because of my gender, my race, my disability, etc. and any other thing but my own fault or failure to accept their conditions or concede to something, or accept that I can't do something.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 4

22 hours ago, eriniy.8607 said:

Different comms will have different requirements. Some comms can't pugmand without people on voice and others will quickly blame their issues on the fact that people aren't on voice. If you want to be invited to those squads you will need to follow their rules. Now that doesn't mean you have to, just as you don't have to be in their squad. It will mean you will need to stay alert and read the activity around the squad better since they might do more sudden motions and feints and you need to be able to react to those motions since some tags that require voice will also see people not on their voice or in their squad as bait and a valid tactic to us them as such. To be fair to tags though, its not a requirement for anyone to tag up since you will quite often then run into a ton of people not tagging up themselves that will be quick to call out things they think you should have done that you did differently. So its rough on both sides.

You will find that server to server, while we still have them, will vary on squad requirements. In this case as others stated above you may want to look for more open tags that don't have the requirement if that doesn't fit your playstyle or interest in using a voice channel. I would recommend finding a group or making a group or guild group that you would want to play with that better matches what you may be looking for. Worst case scenario, acquire a tag and form up your pug non-voice squad. It's not easy but a lot of pugmanders have done this after running into similar issues as you stated.

At times not having tags can be helpful since it makes players actually stop to understand why tags do what they do so they know what to do when there isn't one. One joke is, its amazing how many objective scouts you might see deployed when there aren't any tags up versus zero scouts when there is a tag. 

In all cases, good hunting!

The grand majority of groups only expect listening, and don't require mic at all.

The only reason to join squad is to listen for callouts/instructions comp up for parties/boons/heals, and to see markers. However....

1.) If you don't want to join Discord, you don't care about listening for callouts anyways.

2.) It is highly unlikely you will get a comped party and therefore you will not get that many boons/heals. In addition with the current boon situation, there is an abundance of boons and heals that overflow out that you can sustain by merely dodging over the squad every now and then even if you are not in it.

3.) Symbols and such can be drawn by making your own parties.

In other words, if you don't want to join Discord, you don't need the squad anyways unless the tag is hidden in which case you weren't going to get in anyways.

So you don't have to leave your own guilds, because you can just form your own party comp with your friends and guildmates. There is no party some random strangers can do better for you.  Most of the time I reject squad invites, because my friends and I already have a comp and joining the squad would ruin it. We would also rather chat in our comms. Honestly, there needs to be an option to auto reject squad invites beyond making your own squad.

If you don't have friends for whatever reason. then you will have to adjust your own build to give your own boons instead of just copy and pasting them off metabattle, which assumes fully comped parties.

Finally, the best way to avoid crappy squad rules is simply to lead your own squad. Then you don't have to follow anyone's rules because you make them.

Basically, this is non-issue if you know what you're doing. If you choose to be someone that can only play WvW if a commander is playing the game for you, then you will be subject to the whims of whichever tag is online. But this is your choice-- don't complain about it.

BTW, I think it's a fundamentaly flawed attitude to be like "Well, you're going to lose without me!" Whether that is true or not, that tends to be a vast overestimation of one's importance. It also assumes everyone merely cares about playing with skilled players. And sure some  do, but many also want to play with players they find pleasant to be around. Truth be told, almost nobody is irreplaceable. The world will continue to turn with or without you in squad.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2023 at 9:28 PM, eriniy.8607 said:

Are you on NA servers? 

I play on eu (wvw) and we have a loot of women (some that don't speak much English too) 

Can't say I have seen harassment of women in this game, apart from a couple times (in 10+ years) I believe that is the exception and the community is good at weeding out those weirdos. 

Some of the best(and most popular) pug commanders on my server is women. 

Good luck with WvW 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

On 11/26/2023 at 9:28 PM, eriniy.8607 said:

I blame the patriarchy in the WvW community, it must be eradicated

• Haha 5

this is borderline all is vain for wvw. top tier

i will say tho it is really annoying if you can't join a group if you don't have their discord... meanwhile you would join their discord if you had it. some ppl are brain dead. and no, i'm not gonna copy the server name letter for letter in map chat you morons. you're not that important

Edited by Stand The Wall.6987
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3