Old legendaries need some love

Most of them are a little outdated in terms of effects.
I nowadays only see tier 3 legendaries around, sure, they look cool as hell and are super flashy and I get that, but... the designs are so... boring.
What makes people want Verdarach or Frostfang? The design, they look SO cool!
But sadly the visual effects like the trail walking, the draw animation or 'finishers' are really outdated (I mean 10+ years so...)

So I have only a question, any plans on making a visual update to the effects of tier 1 and 2 legendary weapons? (not all of them need them, for example Eternity looks incredible or Bolt too, but when was the last time you saw someone playing with... Flames of war or Howler or The HMS divinity...)

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Rethex.3248 said:

not all of them need them, for example Eternity looks incredible or Bolt too, but when was the last time you saw someone playing with... Flames of war or Howler or The HMS divinity...

Let's say that there are some very good reasons for no wanting to make Legendary Candlestick or Legendary Gun Ship that have nothing to do with how good their Aura or footfalls are.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

6 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Let's say that there are some very good reasons for no wanting to make Legendary Candlestick or Legendary Gun Ship that have nothing to do with how good their Aura or footfalls are.

Of course! And I agree that some of the weapons are not used as much as others, but that's another topic of discussion, stick to looks only here!

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

If updating what already exists isn't on the menu, it might be nice to add more than ONE legendary option per weapon type for underwater use.

Plus opening up the "equippable by" options so all classes can use all 3 UW weapon types seems long overdue.

But UW is abandoned content for rather a long time now.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I disagree that there's more gen 3 legendaries around, I think that's a case of confirmation bias where because you think they look more interesting you notice them more. If anything I think I see the gen 1 and 2 ones more often, but it might just be that I'm not familiar with all the variants and haven't noticed them when they are around.

I like that there's a mix of legendaries with a lot of flashy effects and more understated ones, I think it makes it more likely everyone can find ones that work for them. I assumed my charr thief would never get a legendary weapon until the Claw of the Khan-Ur came along and I think adding anything to it would make it disappointing. (If anything I'd like to make the aura a bit darker.)

Likewise I like that there's a mix of silly ones and more serious ones, even if it makes one or the other less popular. I think gen 3 has largely fixed the problem of weapon types without all the options - for example if someone wanted a legendary rifle they had to choose between The Predator which looks great but is relatively understated or HMS Divinity which is very silly. Now they have the dragon ones as well which definitely covers the 'very big and flashy' category. (BTW I am planning to make HMS Divinity at some point, for my pirate norn.)

(I was going to say I definitely wouldn't want any of my legendaries to have more or bigger effects because that would be excessive, but I assume Exordium, The Bifrost and The Dreamer are not among the ones the OP thinks aren't flashy enough.)

• Like 5

It won't resolve the Your issue for all the leges, (if any) but I'll give it a try anyways.

So in the case of Frostfang, since it's one handed weapon, for the other hand I tend to use a gen 3 weapon with Jormag variant. Would do the same for other weapons with elemental themes (or the ones that kinda match and/or ones I like) so the effect from the other weapon is similar and therefor match/upgrade the effect of the older one.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rethex.3248 said:

So I have only a question, any plans on making a visual update to the effects of tier 1 and 2 legendary weapons? (not all of them need them, for example Eternity looks incredible or Bolt too, but when was the last time you saw someone playing with... Flames of war or Howler or The HMS divinity...)

I do use Howler and I use it because of its effects. That's the only reason I made it, neither gen 2 nor gen 3 offer anything remotely close to it.

• Like 2

I see just as many Sunrise/Twilight/Eternity, Bifrost, and the ever awful Dreamer running by as I do other legendaries.  Kudzu is also a frequent sighting.  Maybe some touch ups but otherwise I see no need to update them.  They have great footfalls and effects that are distinctive but not seizure inducing. 

Don't touch my Gen 2's.  They're perfect as they are.  

I like some of the understated ones.  Some have a surprise when you use them but go back to looking discreet when stowed ..how lovely!  

• Like 1

But sadly the visual effects like the trail walking, the draw animation or 'finishers' are really outdated (I mean 10+ years so...)

Do you have examples? I mean, in my opinions most Gen 1 legendaries are still de best designed and best looking legendaries in the game.
Also the effects are absolutely fine in my eyes.

when was the last time you saw someone playing with... Flames of war or Howler or The HMS divinity...

I personally use the howler on my druid.

Flames of War and HMS Divinity never were popular legendaries to begin with.
Even when they were released they weren't popular. HMS Divinity has been seen as a joke weapon every since and Flames of War... it was a joke ever since.

With that said, Gen 2 legendaries are more rare anyways for some reasons. Main reason is that Gen 2 weapons are much more expensive than Gen 1 or Gen 3 ones.
Crafting a Gen 2 weapon costs about 2,300 gold. Gen 1 and 3 weapons cost about 1,300 gold.
When crafting a Gen 2 legendary, you have to pay 1,000 gold extra.
Another reason is that Gen 1 and 3 legendaries can be bought in TP while Gen 2 can not. If you have enough money, your cans imply buy the legy you want, one click done. But if you want a Gen 2 legy, you have to craft them on your own, farm HoT metas for materials, to the exploration and so on. No matter how much gold you have, these steps are necessary.

Conclusion: Buying a gen 1 or 3 legy is faster and cheaper than crafting any gen 2 one.
It's only natural that this makes gen 2 legendaries less popular in general.

• Like 6

Sorry OP, but for me, buffing up the effects of the older leggy weapons would be near the bottom of the list of things I'd like to see Anet working on. At this point I have all the gen1 leggy weapons except for the torch, the focus, and the spear. For the gen 1 swords, pistols, axes, and daggers, I have two of each. For me though, I did not buy them for the flashy effects but to make equipping my 40+ alts easier. The flashy effects don't mean that much to me and I usually reskin both the leggy armor and the leggy weapons to fit the theme of the individual alts. Thus, for me there are other things I'd rather see Anet working on. For example, as a WvW player, I'd love to see Anet fix the broken defense participation mechanics and I'd love to see them finally deliver the balanced matches they've been talking about for years now. After that, there's a long list of WvW bugs, glitches, and hacks that need fixing. On the open world PVE side of things, I hope to see Anet keep improving the WV system. The dailies in particular need improvement. I can't count how many times I've had to break a bar, dodge, do a combo, participate in some activity, or do the same couple of mini dungeons again and again, ad nauseum. I really like the WV but  those particular dailies need changing in my book.

Now I know that the designers of flashy weapon effects are probably not the same people who do the mechanics of the WV or who work on the coding in WvW. It's a matter of where Anet puts its priorities and resources though. And I personally would rather see them prioritizing these kinds of fixes rather than jazzing up existing weapons.

• Like 1

I am ok with making the effects and animations a bit smoother, less choppy, especially on some gen 1. But beyond that gen 1 and 2 are miles above gen 3 in design. Gen 3 are just generic particle vomit and while I usually wear gen 1 and 2 as is, the few gen 3 I have are immediate reskin. Effect update, fine. More flash, please please no.

Flames of War has some of the most over the top effects already. It's a staple of my mesmer power and condi builds. I actually reskin my main hand leggy just so I get the sick af red footfalls. And the draw effect.....dat draw effect is by far tops of all leggies. Only the uncultured prefer gen 1 and gen 3 torches over flames of war.

If you think verdarch is bad....howler must be a gemstore skin in your eyes. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 6:34 PM, Ashen.2907 said:

I would rather not see my existing legendaries changed in the manner proposed.

This for sure.

Why change what is and instead make new items? Some people enjoy the item they've taken time to craft. I'd rather see new items be made that people can choose to go for. IF they choose to "improve" old items then I would rather see an "upgraded" version of them existing. Something like turning Dusk into Twighlight. You still have the old one, but you made a new shiny version through some collection or mystic forge mumbjumbo. That's the only way I'd want them to improve a classic skin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RavensSorrow.6128 said:

This for sure.

Why change what is and instead make new items? Some people enjoy the item they've taken time to craft. I'd rather see new items be made that people can choose to go for. IF they choose to "improve" old items then I would rather see an "upgraded" version of them existing. Something like turning Dusk into Twighlight. You still have the old one, but you made a new shiny version through some collection or mystic forge mumbjumbo. That's the only way I'd want them to improve a classic skin.

Like i mentioned (which apperently confused people, no idea why), the solution would be to use the mechanic already existing for aurene legendaries and create those upgrade skins as variants that you can unlock once you have the base (current) version. Notice, that in that way you could also do the exact opposite - add less flashy variants to some skins.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I crafted pharus a few months ago. Further i have nevermore, bolt, xiuquatl and the binding of ipos. 
i only crafted the best of the best 😁

i would like legendary weapons that have some spirit animal attacks the target. Like rock dogs from the rune did. And like mordremorth or how its spelled and then gen 3 staff. Thats the only weapon with a nice visual because the tendrils or roots shackle the target. But if there were legendarys that summon 2 animals that attacks the target for some time would a really nice idea. And to make it not a huge fps drop “only” the owner of the legendary would see the visuals. 

also they should create skins for pets from necromancer to have other looks for the creatures. 

Edited by Holmindeboks.3490
  • Confused 4

I was actually surprised Howler doesn't fire ghost wolf head projectiles on Tempest. It seemed like something obvious that it'd do. It could use variations in Howls too.

Like Binding of Ippo can only shoot projectiles on 1 class in whole game, Necromancer, and even that got a super cool unique eyeball projectile.

Howler needs more buffs.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 1