Ideas in this forum

I'm curious why developers don't use the community's ideas, the simplest example: Elementalist new weapon, i see ideas for GS, long bow ( the most common in past ). Is it because of the copyright of the originator? And fear that the originator may want absurd amounts of money for the idea? Or is the idea just bad.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

I suspect there could be many reasons why but the more precise the idea the less they'll be able to use it. Also it might be an aesthetic that doesn't fit in their release program and even when some people love it, they might think it's a terrible idea lol.

And they'd have to do research probably because a third party might have created this already as well. So it's not just the originator on the forum they'd have to consider but also other artists.

• Like 1

Suggestions on the official forums are free use for the company. They cannot use suggestions mailed in though (from what they said years ago).

The Weaver is a community created elite class and many idea in the game have come from the forum (the entire mastery system, wardrobe, lots of QoL etc). If they don't use the ideas it's because they don't necs fit with what they vision or work with the data they have vast collations of that we do not see. 

Don't forget also that mmo development cycles are long. A great suggestion now for a feature would likely be two years away in implenetation if approved. They re already starting on expac 6 as it is and expac 4 isn't all out yet

Edited by Randulf.7614
typos
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, Brodix.5214 said:

I'm curious why developers don't use the community's ideas, the simplest example: Elementalist new weapon, i see ideas for GS, long bow ( the most common in past ). Is it because of the copyright of the originator? And fear that the originator may want absurd amounts of money for the idea? Or is the idea just bad.

If only "ideas in this forum" were not only uniform, but also equivalent to the voice of the whole playerbase instead of individual opinions. And that's not even touching on THE idea being, you know... good.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vares.8457 said:

Most ideas on the forums are garbage. 

This.

People in this forum often decorate their selfish demands as a "contribution of ideas". The reality is that even if that particular request was taken, we see far more backlash once the consequence kicks in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

• ArenaNet Staff

Part of what I do is keep an eye on conversations and feedback throughout the forum and pass it on to the rest of the studio. 

Even if a suggestion isn't workable exactly as presented, most of them* help contribute to the overall picture of the game and the community. What's working well, what are people finding frustrating, what are players asking for more of, what things are more polarizing than usual? 

At their core, suggestions are usually about a potential opportunity to address something in one of those categories, so even if a suggestion isn't feasible, a lot of the time there's still information to be had!

*We're probably definitely not gonna delete a whole profession. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

You can't copyright an idea. Until you set something down in a permenant format, it's just an idea. There are 9 weapons in this game. Suggesting 1 of them for a new weapon for a class, both of which are already in and owned by the game wouldn't be copyrightable. 

IF I write a story, and I put it down on paper, it's copyrighted, but not if I use someone else's world. Then I can't do that, because I'm probably breaking a trademark. This is Anet's game and Anet's system so if you make a suggestion they can use it, because it's already a suggestion about their game and system.

But the example you gave is just you saying, I would like this and the community said they would like there, and we didn't get there, therefore Anet doesn't listen to fan's suggestions. This is a terrible bit of logic here.

Fans on this forum make hundreds of suggestions. If Anet used half of them, there's no guarantee that Ele would get a greatsword or bow. I could give you times when someone asked for something and Anet put it in the game. Why ignore those examples?

Anet listens to fan suggestions some of the time and doesn't the rest of the time. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Brodix.5214 said:

There is no copyright unless someone creates it. You can't copyright an idea I believe and I do know the person who has made all those Reddit ideas has stated that anet has every right to use any of their ideas.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Part of what I do is keep an eye on conversations and feedback throughout the forum and pass it on to the rest of the studio. 

Even if a suggestion isn't workable exactly as presented, most of them* help contribute to the overall picture of the game and the community. What's working well, what are people finding frustrating, what are players asking for more of, what things are more polarizing than usual? 

At their core, suggestions are usually about a potential opportunity to address something in one of those categories, so even if a suggestion isn't feasible, a lot of the time there's still information to be had!

This might be common sense but 1- its the dev's jobs to create great game service regardless of feedback but like you say, feedback can further inform. I like to think devs are so competent they likely would have gotten to the answer without our help but we helped facilitate it quicker.

2- Customers need to understand that a game service has a ton of logic, requirements, mechanics etc to contend with and using the ele example- ele already has distance weapons so while new skills would be interesting; making another ranged weapon is probably a low priority.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

So when is Thief getting another quick striking weapon? I hope you've passed some of the Thief discussions regarding what we actually want for new weapons o/

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

ideas, suggestions and QoL changes all get chucked in that gigantic 388 page trashcan.

it really makes you want to spend time typing out a long and thought-out thread knowing it will simply get merged into the heap and buried.

• Like 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Liewec.2896 said:

ideas, suggestions and QoL changes all get chucked in that gigantic 388 page trashcan.

it really makes you want to spend time typing out a long and thought-out thread knowing it will simply get merged into the heap and buried.

And yet, the Devs state that is one thread they absolutely read.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

C'mon, you know that no one reads these agreements or codes of conduct.  😒

No kidding, however, I do think this is a good thing because I think that most if not all people who suggest things just want to get stuff into the game and aren't doing it for some sort of reward or something.

• ArenaNet Staff
On 2/15/2024 at 5:29 AM, Liewec.2896 said:

Every week I send a summary list of all new suggestions and requests from that thread to the rest of the studio, so it definitely gets read and heard. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Every week I send a summary list of all new suggestions and requests from that thread to the rest of the studio, so it definitely gets read and heard. 

Now that was something I really wanted and really needed to read, thank you ❤️ 

• Like 2