Anyone else happy about Leg. armor because the don't like how it looks?

It's meant to be accessible armor for those who don't PvP/WvW/raid enough to be able to make those armors.  Not everyone likes the appearance of those either.  But I bet they like them for the conveniences.  Craft it or don't, reskin it or don't.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Grouwdi.6279 said:

So the new Legendary Armor for Light classes looks like the outfit that Joffery wore in Game of Thrones. Glad I'm Medium armor, but then again thank you for changing appearances.

(incoming fanboy rage below)

I don't really get what the point of this post is.

I mean, it's purely subjective if you like an armor or not.
Some will agree, some will disagree. There is no base for a discussion about taste, is it?

Edited by kiroho.4738
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 3

1) Jup, If you don't like it, reskin it, it's legendary, it's free.
2) It's only tier 1, maybe the next tiers will be more to your particular liking.
3) I remember the same thing being a "problem" when they released the legendary armors for raids. The problem being it's a very big investment in terms of gold, time and effort and there only being one skin per weight class. That one skin can under no circumstances please everyone who is going for the item. So it is unavoidable, that many players will not be happy about the look that they are getting for all the gold, time and effort they have put into aquiring the item. I believe this was was part of why ANet made the legendary armors for WvW and PvP rather bland and also shyed away from putting the effort into them of having them have movable parts and such effects.
4) Just hope they quality tested the dye channels and any shenanigans on these new armors before shipping. Existing legy armors have glitches and dye channels that aren't working right ANet never bothered looking into, so you better hope these new ones roll out perfect. 😉

• Like 6
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

The vest looks more like plate armor from many angles than a fabric vest.

Maybe it will look better on certain body types but I was surprised at how much I disliked it on what I assume was a male human in the video. It's unfortunate because a bunch of my light armor users are male human.

I'm not saying it needs to be shiny or anything but I was hoping for a more fabric look. Maybe dying will also help and the silver was just an awkward choice.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

On 2/23/2024 at 12:59 AM, kiroho.4738 said:

I don't really get what the point of this post is.

I mean, it's purely subjective if you like an armor or not.
Some will agree, some will disagree. There is no base for a discussion about taste, is it?

I guess OPGrouwdi thought that their "hot take" on this would attract a backlash from those who liked the armour and that alone made them think that the post was worth making.

Edited by Pifil.5193
Threads were merged so I changed OP to the name poster
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Pifil.5193 said:

I guess the OP thought that their "hot take" on this would attract a backlash from those who liked the armour and that alone made them think that the post was worth making.

Hence "fanboy rage." I agree with them in that I don't love the look, and I definitely don't feel alone there. (Granted I don't hate it either. I just feel 'whelmed' by it and the heavy set. Medium is spectacular I find.)

However, I will still reserve full judgment for when I have it on my mesmer specifically. He's a thin sylvari, so maybe it'll fit him better than I expect. Maybe not. Doesn't matter though, I can transmute the look. Maybe I will still use parts to build my own ensembles too, like the boots. I'll see in a few days.

I will say though that I am happy to see we get another rare pair of "just" trousers. We could do with a few more of those in light armour land.

I agree with the premise but I reject the conclusion.  The light armor is ugly as sin to me.  Medium and heavy are not bad.  Still, I feel the light will help me the most to that's the set I'm going for first.  I can always reskin so how it looks really is irrelevant.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/22/2024 at 4:24 PM, Shuzuru.3651 said:

You should check all the topic asking for legendary ow armor, the main reason is convenience because they don't want to engage in raid and are not PvP/WvW players.

I mean, if people only wanted nice armor skin, it didn't needed to be legendary at all.

same logic to u... why does anyone raider pvper deserve a good looking armor?

to be clear i already have a full legy set but im annoyed by ur talking down on pver like they need be thankful to get anything

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

4 minutes ago, Balsa.3951 said:

to be clear i already have a full legy set but im annoyed by ur talking down on pver like they need be thankful to get anything

Only raiders got a new skin before and that was only because it was the carrot to carry raids that came with a expansion.

But so do open world they get a new skin too.

If anything pvpers should be salty that they never got their skins updated to legendary status.

These new I dont like the light at all not that its much worse then raid one, medium is better then raid one and heavy is worse then raid one but still decent.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Only raiders got a new skin before and that was only because it was the carrot to carry raids that came with a expansion.

But so do open world they get a new skin too.

If anything pvpers should be salty that they never got their skins updated to legendary status.

These new I dont like the light at all not that its much worse then raid one, medium is better then raid one and heavy is worse then raid one but still decent.

lets talk facts here

open world player carring this game. the majority is ow playing the majority spends most money.

its to early to judge the design of the ow armor but if its suck anet upsets the majority of their player base for no other reason than disinterest.

not the best advertising.

ps raids are kinda dead so how did that carrot worked

ps ps agree with u pvp and wvw is unfair but ya

Edited by Balsa.3951
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Balsa.3951 said:

lets talk facts here

open world player carring this game. the majority is ow playing the majority spends most money.

its to early to judge the design of the ow armor but if its suck anet upsets the majority of their player base for no other reason than disinterest.

not the best advertising.

ps raids are kinda dead so how did that carrot worked

ps ps agree with u pvp and wvw is unfair but ya

Open world also get 90% of the resources spent on them and Im quite sure the wvw,spvp, fractal and raid crowd together carry atleast 10% of the money spent.

Not that there usualy is anyone that only play one mode exclusivly btw.

Edit

And raids are still run so  after spvp, wvw (since neither of them hardly got a new map in all the years) and fractals (only now started o get 1 map each expansion) raids are the most played compared to dollar spent content we got.

And if game goes long enough strikes will most probabely take over raids spot.

What is the throw away conent we got you said it all the open world pve content that people complain never get run.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, frazazel.7501 said:

I'm glad the light armour skin looks significantly different from most other light armour skins we have. It gives us more diverse options for how our characters can look.

Same. Also, I'm glad it's not super ridiculously over the top (I'm sure the variant will definitely be though), because honestly it's rarer for light armor to just have a functional pair of pants than it is for it to have a sci-fi laser kilt. The default dyes they chose for those screenshots are pretty unflattering though; it probably would've presented better if they had stuck closer to the concept art's colors.

• Like 4

I have 2 sets and 2/3 of the third set of known materials ready to go.

I don’t much care how it looks, I will reskin to my characters current looks. I’m more concerned that in 4 days, the last unknown materials will be 1,000 raids, fractals, cm strikes, pvps, and the collection is called: “Ha Ha Gotcha!” 😞

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, notebene.3190 said:

I have 2 sets and 2/3 of the third set of known materials ready to go.

I don’t much care how it looks, I will reskin to my characters current looks. I’m more concerned that in 4 days, the last unknown materials will be 1,000 raids, fractals, cm strikes, pvps, and the collection is called: “Ha Ha Gotcha!” 😞

Of those it can only be 1 factal maybe and 2 strike cms both that are pretty tame from what I heard so you should be golden.

• Confused 1

Back when people were bringing up open world leggy armor, a reoccurring theme of "I don't care if it looks like a potato sack" was said multiple times. Considering that, they look good.

I do kind of hope that tier 2 "leggy skins" are unlockable for anyone with any leggy armor set (HoT PvE (raid), sPvP, WvW) of said weight unlocked. Otherwise, these collections will definitely alienate these players that have no need for another actual legendary set. It's also a waste of dev time if perhaps this will be a continuing theme across expacs (tier 3 skins, etc.). 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, firedragon.8953 said:

Back when people were bringing up open world leggy armor, a reoccurring theme of "I don't care if it looks like a potato sack" was said multiple times. Considering that, they look good.

I do kind of hope that tier 2 "leggy skins" are unlockable for anyone with any leggy armor set (HoT PvE (raid), sPvP, WvW) of said weight unlocked. Otherwise, these collections will definitely alienate these players that have no need for another actual legendary set. It's also a waste of dev time if perhaps this will be a continuing theme across expacs (tier 3 skins, etc.). 

Let me crush that hope right away the tier 2 legy skins are an upgrade for open world pve only and no they wont do anything regarding them in expac 5.

Because each expansion is stand alone so it make no sence to now suddenly start tieing each mini expansion together forcing people to buy what they dont want to.

Or would you expect someone buying just mini expansion 5 to get tier 1 and 2 skins with no effort when they craft tier 3?

How would that feel for all the SotO owners?

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

54 minutes ago, firedragon.8953 said:

That's a funny conclusion. It either appeals to your taste or it doesn't, regardless of any preconditions.

And I hate repeating myself, but some people (like me) only went for the Obsidian Armor for the skin(s) as they looked in the concept art image. I don't need another set of legendary armor, but I thought, "Wow, that heavy set looks pretty cool!" I no longer do after seeing the actual thing, and I am certainly not the only one. 😉 They look rather like modern D&D plastic art with the textures used etc (only the runes appeal to me, personally).

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 6

14 hours ago, Balsa.3951 said:

Well, i'm not talking down any open pver here, I was mostly one for like 9-10 years.

I'm simply pointing the fact that the claim for open world pve leg armor was something like "no matter the cost or the skin, we want a way to have a legendary armor in open world"

At the opposite, raid leg armor wasn't really a thing people asked (I mean, some asked for legendary armor, but not method of acquisition was specificaly mentionned), it was something Anet decided to create as a reward for clearing their new difficult content they wanted to promote. They spend a lot of time (and sanity, from what i heard) to craft the skins for it.

When the and PvP and WvW players asked for legendary armor too, they went like  "fine, but we are not going throught that nightmare again, it'll be a plainer skin", and those armor don't even have a unique legendary skin.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

On 2/20/2024 at 7:56 PM, Wensy.1236 said:

Now I can simply chose weight that I don't have yet. (and reskin it)

As a Charr player reskinning gear is my usual business.
90% looks ugly.
If there weren't outfits (many look nice on Charr), then my Charrs would all look very similar because of the left 10% that's visibly usable.

Except for one sword I reskinned everything legendary.
With unlocking the unicorn shortbow you get another shortbow skin and that's way better (even when it's very simple). So unlocking a legendary sometimes gives you additional skins that are usable. I got some hand/arm skin along with some leg. item which is pretty.

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

I'm simply pointing the fact that the claim for open world pve leg armor was something like "no matter the cost or the skin, we want a way to have a legendary armor in open world"

That claim is false. Sure, some people were saying that (although most of them were actually those that were opposed to the idea of OW legendary armor, and that's why they mentioned "and it must look bad and require years of stupid grind" arguments), but those were not the majority, or even significant part of the discussion. For every such voice there were immediately several saying that no, it does need to look good enough to be worth of legendary tag.

At the opposite, raid leg armor wasn't really a thing people asked (I mean, some asked for legendary armor, but not method of acquisition was specificaly mentionned), it was something Anet decided to create as a reward for clearing their new difficult content they wanted to promote. They spend a lot of time (and sanity, from what i heard) to craft the skins for it.

Notice, how before raids were released most (although, again, not all) of the would be raiders were like "no, we do not need unique rewards, just give us challenging content". And as soon as legendary armor was announced threads suddenly changed to "only raids deserve that reward". Although, again, i do not claim those were the same people.

When the and PvP and WvW players asked for legendary armor too, they went like  "fine, but we are not going throught that nightmare again, it'll be a plainer skin", and those armor don't even have a unique legendary skin.

It was also partially due to those "only raids deserve that kind of reward" voices. Devs at that time were afraid of making raiders angry by giving real legendary armor to other modes, so they went with half-measure that still left raiders feeling superior. Noone asked SPvP/WvW players what they thought on that issue. They were told it's either no-skin version or no version at all.

But that's a side matter. The main point is, just because someone at some time claimed one thing, does not mean someone else at some other time cannot claim something else. So, bringing that up only means that someone ran out of real arguments.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

Well, i'm not talking down any open pver here, I was mostly one for like 9-10 years.

The issue was not that AN has put alot of work into those legendary armors, the issue was they have put alot of work love and care into these armors, only for people to complain to hell and back about it when they released. The original reception of legendary armor in the community, in particular raiders was abysmal, and that reception was why AN decided to never do it again.

It took years of nagging and the "yeah no need for a combat morphing skin" to get AN to release wvw/pvp sets of legendary, and those arguments were repeated when nagging AN for OW legendary armor.

And now look, they did new legendary set, that has it's own handcrafted skin, and we are once again up in arms complaining that we don't like it. Just like we did with og legendary skins. I guess AN was right in not wanting to go with it ever again after all.

(And I will state once again for it to not be lost: I personally really like the medium and heavy skins of those sets, with light having some pieces I like and some I am "meh whatever" about. But in general I am positive about those skins.)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

That claim is false. Sure, some people were saying that (although most of them were actually those that were opposed to the idea of OW legendary armor, and that's why they mentioned "and it must look bad and require years of stupid grind" arguments), but those were not the majority, or even significant part of the discussion. For every such voice there were immediately several saying that no, it does need to look good enough to be worth of legendary tag.

Notice, how before raids were released most (although, again, not all) of the would be raiders were like "no, we do not need unique rewards, just give us challenging content". And as soon as legendary armor was announced threads suddenly changed to "only raids deserve that reward". Although, again, i do not claim those were the same people.

It was also partially due to those "only raids deserve that kind of reward" voices. Devs at that time were afraid of making raiders angry by giving real legendary armor to other modes, so they went with half-measure that still left raiders feeling superior. Noone asked SPvP/WvW players what they thought on that issue. They were told it's either no-skin version or no version at all.

But that's a side matter. The main point is, just because someone at some time claimed one thing, does not mean someone else at some other time cannot claim something else. So, bringing that up only means that someone ran out of real arguments.

It's easy to call those who wanted that no matters skin or grind time "against that idea".

"If they do not think like me they are against it", kinda?

Still, that argument was there, and the only reason why it wasn't the main one is because the main arguments was about if that leg should exist or not.

I didn't follow raid discussion back in the days, so i don't know the arguments back in the days, but the argument of "don't put the rewards of difficult content on easier thing" is legit, from a design viewpoint.

The official version for PvP/WvW is still the one i told, the influence on raider voice for it is speculative

• Like 3
  • Confused 2