I don't mind the grind but...

Honestly, I don't mind doing rifts and convergences, map metas, map completion, and all that stuff.  It's fine.  But the amount of ectoplasm at the current prices?  Woof.  The same with how expensive the trophies are for the Gifts of Condensed Magic and Might.  It's not exactly fast or easy to get them otherwise.  That's a whole other grind.

Working as intended, I'm sure, but it's a lot for someone like me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, Gwynnion.7364 said:

Honestly, I don't mind doing rifts and convergences, map metas, map completion, and all that stuff.  It's fine.  But the amount of ectoplasm at the current prices?  Woof.  The same with how expensive the trophies are for the Gifts of Condensed Magic and Might.  It's not exactly fast or easy to get them otherwise.  That's a whole other grind.

Did some quick math for fun on the ectos yesterday. One whole set of Obsidian gear needs 3600 ectos. Want to make all three sets? 10 800 ectos. This assumes you aren't crafting Ascended gear to turn to Research Notes or salvage for Balls of Dark Energy as well.

Anyway, working as intended. And it'll be a while before I start collecting ectos for something else I guess lol

Edit: ***This wasn't a complaint on my part.***

Edited by Kiki.9450
  • Like 1

You get a lot of golds while doing things you dont mind, so you can buy all other things you need. I don’t thing anyone is actually farming ectos if they need more, people just buy them. Same for T6 mats, it is never worth farming them. Waste of time basically.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Gwynnion.7364 said:

You can avoid "grinding" for Ecto by choosing either one of 3 alternatives.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Obsidian armor currently cost 500-650g per piece (including the ectos at the current price).

That's a good price for legendary armor.
It's a bit more expensive than the raid, sPvP and WvW armor (which cost 450-500g per piece), but therefore you don't have to deal with raids and competitive game modes.

Spending 50-150g more is a good trade off.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

If you're fine with the grind, cool, go for it. If you're not, leave it be or wait for better times, i.e. cheaper prices on the TP. Because those really are the only two sides of this coin. Prices for mats will probably drop a bit in the coming months as more and more people will finish their armors and demand will drop. If you can wait, wait. If you can't, pay what the stuff costs.
Also, obligatory "we want open world legendary armor" they said; "we don't care if it's grindy" they said.-comment.

Edited by Omega.6801
  • Like 7
  • Confused 3

56 minutes ago, kiroho.4738 said:

Obsidian armor currently cost 500-650g per piece (including the ectos at the current price).

It's a bit more expensive than the raid, sPvP and WvW armor (which cost 450-500g per piece), but therefore you don't have to deal with raids and competitive game modes.

Actually better than I had hoped for. My other real good option was "eventually make nine friends to play raids with" but that's low on the list. (Doesn't help the friends I do have are currently busy with other things and other games.)

I was really expecting something like this for legendary open world armour:

Anet: "Oh you want a grind?" *cracks knuckles*

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kiroho.4738 said:

If you craft multiple weights, it's actually much closer to the other sets or even somewhere between them, as the price on efficiency includes the price for the collections, which are only needed once for all three weights,.

Edited by Schimmi.6872
  • Like 2

I'm not gonna sugarcoat it, Legendary have never been easier or faster to get, it's about do you have the patience and will? You either get it or you don't get it.

If you want it to be "easier" stop thinking about it and just work toward it everyday.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, kiroho.4738 said:

Wow, just like real life, I just realized my game character is poor too with only 700g.

So I guess unless 500g is chump change for you, don't go for legendary sets.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

15 minutes ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

That's where I'm at, too.  I'll wait until the rich kids are bored with their new toy before trying again.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

2 minutes ago, Gwynnion.7364 said:

That's where I'm at, too.  I'll wait until the rich kids are bored with their new toy before trying again.

At least we now know what materials to collect and never sell.  So every day normal play saves us some money

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

I'm close, 249 ectos to go for my 3rd set. It's the only mat left that I need to complete.

I think the only reason I had so many to start was I had banked a 'lot' of them when the prices dropped below 14s and I just refused to sell them, having seen prices as high as 23s. So now I don't have any to sell, but then I didn't have any to buy.

I could buy the remaining, but I'm close enough I should be done in less than a week. I'm suspecting I'll need gold on the next project I want to work on, so I don't want to waste it on something I can grind out myself.

I did the 9 large chests in Archie Peglego every day. If you are real lucky you get a yellow out of every one. Also be sure to do an Octo if you can once a day (I open the spaceships and bigger chests but not the small ones, because keys), and then I do as many world bosses as I can squeeze in, and Dragonstorm (2 gold and few items).

I think all the new metas drop lots of the yellow weapons with no sigils in them for collections and such, so those are also a good source if you are already doing them for other resources (though admittedly a little on the longer side).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

Wow, just like real life, I just realized my game character is poor too with only 700g.

I can't speak for the obsidian armor, but I found while getting two of the raid armor sets that, over the time It took to get them, I had earned basically all the money I needed and then some.  Getting six Gifts of Dedication will give you quite a few materials, and the raids themselves have a lot of drops.  Same thing with my WvW Armor set.  It took me 20 weeks to get the WvW set, and 20 weeks of playing WvW to full skirmish completion will get you most of what you need. 

Over the time it took for me to craft all legendary armors and trinkets, I always hung around the 1k to 2k gold mark.  You'd think that with 12 pieces of envoy gear (5k gold), 6 pieces of Triumphant (2.5k gold), Ad Infinitum (1.3k gold), and all of the trinkets, (6.8k gold), that I would've run out, but I didn't.  If you're pursuing the armor, leave the gold expenses for last.  Use alternative means for getting the clovers, don't even worry about the ectoplasm until you've acquired all of the other materials that require the hard grind.  Only then should you worry about expenses.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/14/2024 at 3:14 PM, kiroho.4738 said:

Where are our UW ecto farmers at to crash the ecto economy? (GW1 reference)

• Haha 4

*Laughs in WvW armor that cost less than 400g to craft, less than 200g almost free if you count the rewards you get in the 4 weeks of playing 13-20 hours of WvW for the skirmish tickets*

Edited by Player.2475
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Player.2475 said:

*Laughs in WvW armor that cost less than 400g to craft, less than 200g almost free if you count the rewards you get in the 4 weeks of playing 13-20 hours of WvW for the skirmish tickets*

You can not write that 🤣. Also do not forget PvP armor. Both is cheaper and faster than PvE. Open world leggy armor is kind of killed for any "new" player with research notes. Better to do PvP or WvW leggy armor with gen3 leggy weapons since you get that nice PvE finisher.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Surely not easy to find time to grind gold when you are busy with rifts, convergences, metas and maps.
My sympathies.

On the other hand, you could be doomed and not have that open world choice of a legendary armor and then you'd need to choose between, pvp, wvw or raids. (I'd rather run in exotic than doing the farming in raids)

[My (still only) wvw legendary armor set (heavy) was 2300 gold back in May 2023, after 2 years of playing wvw (+1 pve year before... before my soul was sold to wvw). Only little grinding involved for making gold to buy t6 stuff. I also crafted 6 runes, 2 sigils and 2 weapons around that time. Made good gold from crafting and selling level 10 jade bot cores. Research notes were easy and cheap to get in large numbers back then. (Not anymore now).}

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Mell.4873 said:

Wait for the Festival of the Four Winds, prices of all raw materials dop alot during that event. 

Arent they raising because you can trade some of the lower mats for bags or tickets or whatever?

Edited by Lucy.3728