Obsidian Legendary Armor Tier 2 Preview

Posted (edited)

The issue here for me isn't so much the design, as it is the marketing team dropping the ball here (or whoever makes these videos. I'm happy to be corrected).

It's not showcased enough to really get anyone mind-blown. The shots are too short, from a singular angle, and you have the three characters huddled together which makes that effect explosion way too overpowering, no less on a foggy background where the white relatively blends in and makes details... obscured (I hate myself for that pun, eesh). I would have loved a long video that gave the armor types a stand alone preview with the camera panning around it and from a safe distance where our eyes don't get flashbanged.

Overall, I'm not too sold but I'll end up getting it for completion sakes. I can make this work for one of my characters at least. Or who knows, maybe it'll look better in-game when we get to see it in the wardrobe and on our characters with our chosen palette and running around in the world with it. I'll remain optimistic, despite the resounding sentiment being overwhelmingly negative because videos- sometimes like screenshots- don't really do these things justice unlike when you see it yourself-- pending who does the presentation of course. Sadly its a hard miss here.

Edited by KindredPhoenyx.8976
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

11 hours ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

It has been a while since we got exactly what I was expecting. Added effects and no change to the structure. Though that drawing effect is VERY blinding. It needs to be made a little transparent.

It may be less extreme than it looks on in the trailer, cause there you have 3 particle explosions next to each other which kinda combines them to look more intense than a single.one would. Also if they listen to feedback and link the color of the unsheath effect to the glow color of the runes, you could cusomize how blinding it is by taking not too bright colors.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The ruin effect is nice but not the type of vanity I was looking for so I'll stick with T1 design and just work my way up to T2 slowly whenever I have time. 

Edited by EdwinLi.1284
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, jokke.6239 said:

I  wonder, that "draw effect"

You need full armor for it?

Is it a certain piece that gives it?

Any piece will give it?

Can't be sure, but it will probably be chest piece.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/10/2024 at 6:26 PM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Next week's game update includes Tier 2 of Obsidian legendary armor, and we've got a first look at it today!

I never comment on forums but I logged in for this one. This is the most anticlimactic legendary equipment that has been released so far. Even the raid armor (heavy and light only) remains superior and it has been made several years ago! The animation, the quality of the armor the visual effects on it literally every single aspect of the Raid set looks far better than this one. There is nothing legendary about this one. It looks so low effort and low quality. Even the Tier 1 was clipping on char and had other various visual bugs.. I was hyped when I first saw the concept art of the obsidian armor and wanted to make all 3 variations, it truly looked epic! Unfortunately the looks of it in game go from bad to worse since release. Pretty disappointing. I really hope they do something about it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, coralkid.1952 said:

[...] It looks so low effort and low quality. [...] I was hyped when I first saw the concept art of the obsidian armor and wanted to make all 3 variations, it truly looked epic! Unfortunately the looks of it in game go from bad to worse [....] I really hope they do something about it.

This. 👍

• Like 6
  • Confused 5

Posted (edited)

I kind of like the glowing runes from the Suffused versions, but the giant glowing white flash when the weapon is drawn single-handedly kills it for me. It just adds yet another unnecessary visual clutter.

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

I am a bit disappointed with this  Obsidian Tier 2 is almost same like Requiem set and mostly last couple years is like this designer team doesn't know what to do story is mediocre, updates , nothing unique veteran like my self if this is it than this slowly become bad experience just recycled old content and change name  and new expac and throw at us 😞 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

It's nowhere near the raid armor, doesn't look legendary at all. I have some gem store outfits that look more legendary than this.
They should've added animated parts and those glowy parts should have been blended better. Also, light armor is always meh, it won't suit my necro at all.
If they add a T3 with different choices that completely change its mesh, it will be better. At least add a cool aura or something unique like the WvW legendary chest piece.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Umut.5471 said:

Also, light armor is always meh, it won't suit my necro at all.

This is why I tell everyone if they want light legendary armor, go WvW. It actually looks like armor that is light, as opposed to cloth monstrosities, and though doesn’t have the glowy, moving mystical aspect of the raid one, it actually not only manages to look like armor, it actually looks epic

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Reading through this topic really blew my mind. I would have never expected how unrealistic peoples expectations for this armor were.

First of all, no. Anet didnt promise something and then dropped the ball. The armor does exactly what they promoted it as. They promised combat effects and it has combat effects. For some weird reason people made up ridiculous fantasies in their head and if the armor doesnt fit exactly that fantasy its bad.

On top of that please remember: obsidian armor is the easy mode legendary armor. Before soto you had to play at least one competitive game mode on a regular basis to get legendary armor. With obsidian armor they greatly reduced the barrier of entry to get legendary armor.

Not only is it easy to get without ever having to step foot into one of the competitive game modes, also the WvW an PvP legendary armore pale in comparison to it and still people are not happy with it.

This isnt an anet problem, this is a spoiled brat mentality problem.

Edited by lol.9027
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 6

7 hours ago, Flowersunshine.7385 said:

So many complaints about the upgrade being just a glowy effect. Is it just me remembering reading complaints about the armor not being glowy enough when it first came out?

I'm quite happily surprised the glow is dyeable.

Partly, yes. T2 is at the absolute low end of what people exected T1 to be. And they expected t2 to be either something more (visual upgrade), or something significantly different (a skin variant).

Instead what we've got is "T1" with a precursor-tier skin, and T2 with something on the level of several already existing LS skins.

• Like 4
  • Confused 4

7 hours ago, Therac.6431 said:

I personally crafted the Heavy armor because I found it prettier than the Raid armor (which I think is ugly), but now, even though I find the Raid armor ugly, I'm going to craft it at least to complete the title.

So what's the problem here? You think it's better looking than the existing legendary armor but not by a large enough margine?

• Like 2
  • Confused 2