This expac is omega doomed

• ArenaNet Staff

I'm going to leave this thread open for now because there is some solid constructive criticism and good discussion here and there, and I'd like that to continue.

As always: What's enjoyable is highly subjective based on the individual, discuss the ideas rather than attacking the person, and if you can't do that make use of the ignore function. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

On 9/4/2024 at 1:20 PM, WhiteSmoke.5926 said:

remember that Heart of Thorns brought elite specializations, break bars, meta events, raids, a new boon system, a trinity system, 4-stat combination gear, masteries, a NEW CLASS, the guild hall system, fractal reworks, adventures, map bonus rewards... and Path of Fire added mounts, barriers, bounties, and more of what HoT offered. And not just at launch, but with every patch/episode! Everything was on the table, there was a determination to push this game far forward.

Even Secrets of the Obscure changed the rune system, added relics, and revamped the old and putride daily login rewards system. It wasn’t much, but it was something.

Man, if you list it like that then SotO and JW totally sound poor. Not like an expansion at all, more like a season.

I immensely enjoined playing the first map of JW and I also like the story so far (I have my fingers crossed that Poky won't become a 2nd Braham). The first map overwhelmed me. It has details and a lot of humor. It's a rich map.
The second map feels unfinished.
Audio and visuals are beautiful. My tastes. (unlike soto, it crept me out)

And yeah, when you're done with the achievements, no need to return to Janthir :s
But the "expansion" is not finished yet. 

Curse not the day until evening has come.

Edited by Tula.6021
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

I'm going to leave this thread open for now because there is some solid constructive criticism and good discussion here and there, and I'd like that to continue.

As always: What's enjoyable is highly subjective based on the individual, discuss the ideas rather than attacking the person, and if you can't do that make use of the ignore function. 

I love that you are trying to educate people on the ignore function. Please continue doing Dwayna's work.

• Like 1

You know what? Yes, this expac sucks.

Like the ones before it.

Because at no point have any of them BROUGHT BACK THE PLAYER CHARACTER PERSONALITY SYSTEM.

My militant commander would probably have some choice words about it had they not taken away those dialogue options!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 7

1 hour ago, Sunyavadin.7962 said:

You know what? Yes, this expac sucks.

Like the ones before it.

Because at no point have any of them BROUGHT BACK THE PLAYER CHARACTER PERSONALITY SYSTEM.

My militant commander would probably have some choice words about it had they not taken away those dialogue options!

Brought back? It was never fully implemented to begin with. It was never meaningful, other than in the mind of some developer(s) over a decade ago.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

its not terrible, granted we already knew the story was going to be a lot less "world ending" than the last,

i love the new maps, they are beautiful and its very nice getting some new music for a change

(i love the old GW1 stuff, but kitten i've been listening to it for 20 years! its nice to have some totally new nordic themed tunes!)

but yeah i would have loved more armour sets, waaaay more relics (still waiting for my Golem.) more vendors with fun stuff (i see a warclaw tonic but thats about it!)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/5/2024 at 11:44 AM, Zok.4956 said:

So Anet seems to have planned for players to accidentally delete it. Why else would we be able to buy multiple versions of it? 

Ah gee, what possible reason could we have for acquiring multiple precursors? Oh right, there's a highly active player economy, and many players will make two and sell one, obviously. 

If you're in the habit of salvaging valuable items, contact support and beg them to return it, but don't act like they planned for you to delete it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

So you did everything you wanted to do for this first release in this MMORPG? Awesome. Love that for you. This is probably where you exit, for now, instead of coming to forums to showcase how your aspirations and disappointments are inappropriately placed. You losing interest in JW actually has nothing to do with the value of JW. For all intents and purposes, you won....as I'll keep saying- for now. If this MMORPG doesn't retain you this is called the gamble of gaming and unfortunately, your number was pulled for the content that isn't retaining your attention. Take care and we'll see you at the next release. #classyresponse 😉

Edited by HotDelirium.7984
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, HotDelirium.7984 said:

So you did everything you wanted to do for this first release in this MMORPG? Awesome. Love that for you. This is probably where you exit, for now, instead of coming to forums to showcase how your aspirations and disappointments are inappropriately placed. You losing interest in JW actually has nothing to do with the value of JW. For all intentions and purposes, you won....as I'll keep saying- for now. If this MMORPH doesn't retain you this is called the gamble of gaming and unfortunately, your number was pulled for the content that isn't retaining your attention. Take care and we'll see you at the next release. #classyresponse 😉

This had me cackling inside. Kudos! That is all.

• Like 1

I didn't like SotO (for me the worst expansion), and to be fair, I have to say now that Janthir is not as bad as I expected (I wasn't even sure to buy it, since none of the showcased features appealed me). It's not HoT and it's not PoF, you can't compare it with those giants that took more than 1 year to be developed. It's a more chilled experience and I like it (the map is easier to navigate, you don't have to have 600 fishing power and fish while attacked by mobs. I don't care about fishing, but I noticed the change).

I don't play GW2 as much as before now, and for me this expac is better than SotO, that was too farming. For you is probably the opposite. But the game is big, and I think it's a good thing to offer different content for people that have different takes on the game. As I started to play less after SotO, you can also start to play some other game if you already completed everything that GW2 has to offer.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

@WhiteSmoke.5926 ask yourself what is a good expansion in a middle aged mmorpg like GW2?

I would say:

1. - Interesting attractive maps - we got this, maps design, art and music are top drawer compared to the other maps in game.  Atmospheric perspective, colour and tone use is really good IMO.  (its also glorious with Reshade)
  2. Decent story.  Its engaging enough.
  3. A new horizontal aspect to the game - we got 2.5, homesteads, Spear and Warclaw improvements and some runes etc
  •  Homesteads.  A BIGGIE. What we got was way beyond original expectations and has the bones to be up there with best in market in time.  (needs much more stuff, more houses, high max limit)
  •  Warclaw (not new but improved)
  • Spear

Out of all that Spear is the only problematic one as the designing of weapon skills again fails really badly for some professions, for e.g ele hammer/pistol/spear have all followed the same design failures that probable have a poor cost benefit return. Il leave that chat though to profession forums (that the designers should be reading )

That's pretty good for an expansion, especially considering there is more content to follow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I don't get how ppl can forget that POF had ELITE SPECS (naturally new weapon for each class),6 MOUNTS, RAIDS and 4 maps at launch with 5 maps added later with extra mounts....

and for same price..... its actually insane how short memory ppl have, we are now literally paying for living world chapters.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

43 minutes ago, daw.4923 said:

I don't get how ppl can forget that POF had ELITE SPECS (naturally new weapon for each class),6 MOUNTS, RAIDS and 4 maps at launch with 5 maps added later with extra mounts....

and for same price..... its actually insane how short memory ppl have, we are now literally paying for living world chapters.

Do you understand inflation? 7 years is a long time.  to put it another way, if you want the same amount of content as POF do you want to pay 30% more or get 30% less content?

Edited by Bladestrom.6425
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

On 9/4/2024 at 7:20 AM, WhiteSmoke.5926 said:

Is the future of Open World content really just going to be no meta events or a leech fiesta?

For the first time, I can’t recommend an expansion to my friends. "Come spend all your gold on the homing system instead of making your character progress? UwU"

Do you really think you’ll attract new players with story content when there are so many insane solo RPGs released every month? It makes no sense, GW2 is not competitive in that area.

First of all, Janthir is arguably the best expansion since Path of Fire - they absolutely knocked it out of the park with this one, and I hope they know that

Second of all, there is a map meta in Syntri, and there are several smaller event chains in Lowland, like the spear fishing event and the Bog Queen (an amazing boss). In fact, myself and everyone I've talked to love the smaller event chains, as paired with the numerous hidden events that spawn when you attack the roaming monsters it feels like the events are more ingrained into the world - as you explore the Lowland Shore, you come across roaming monsters and Kodan that need your help, and it all just feels so natural

Third of all, people have been asking for housing for forever. In fact, them delivering on it and spears - another long-requested feature - just goes to show you they're actually listening to the playerbase.  Just because a feature doesn't appeal to you personally doesn't mean it's a bad feature. Housing is great, and I'm so glad we finally have proper housing. Now if only they could fix the Seimur Oxbane cooking achievement dialogue bug that bothers me everytime I go home...

Lastly, the answer to your question? Yes. They can and they will attract new players with their story, because their story is actually pretty great. But not just that - land spears, housing, one of the coolest and most useful mounts we've gotten in a long time, and new events, gear, relics, puzzles, decorations, astral rewards, a pvp mode, and cute little bees are reasons to play the game. Also, NCSOFT has been throwing their marketing department some more budget because their advertising has been the best yet. I've seen plenty of new and returning players this expansion, and overall it's been a smashing success.

I'm sorry that it doesn't appeal to you as much. That's fine. I understand that, and not every expansion will appeal to everyone. But doomposting and claiming the expansion is objectively bad because you didn't like it is just... not helpful. Maybe instead of doomposting and just being negative, you could try being a little more constrictive. You didn't like the expansion? Okay. Give good feedback in a positive and constructive way so that the game can improve. Don't tell us what the expansion doesn't have and frame it as negative, tell us what you would like to see, and frame it constructively. That will be a lot more helpful to the devs and community than being a doomsayer and telling us the "end is nigh".

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/5/2024 at 4:00 PM, Cyninja.2954 said:

Essence as I've mentioned in other threads is being setup as new overarching resources for the mini expansions. We had it in SotO. We have it in JW. I am pretty sure we will get it in expansion 6.. It's also universally convertible into older resources, which reduces the necessity to play older content

My only gripe with essences is that they take up inventory space lol

I would much rather they be a currency, or have a "condensed" form that would take up less space 

For someone like me who already had a full perfected envoy set from raiding, I didn't need them to make legendary armor, and so I'm sitting with like 3-5k of each in my bags and banks, just being paperweights for now

At least they'll see some use going forward, which is why I'm glad I held on to them! 😅

• Like 2

On 9/4/2024 at 4:04 PM, WhiteSmoke.5926 said:

Dont look only at the number, look how they interact with the expansion, the community and the vibe they give. This kind of thing will never append in Hot, PoF or EoD

Wtf is wrong with the community and vibe of GW2 content creators...?

I'm finding the Janthir Wilds release to be fun. Lots to do. Can't see how it's doomed.

2. First Map - lots to do, pleasing to the eyes.

3. First map hearts are not to difficult to complete. Plenty of events to do in the vicinity.

4. Boss fights aren't a pushover. 

5. Love the pve warclaw. Has now taken the place of my raptor for general ground movement. Love the in combat mounting ability.

6. Homestead stuff is enjoyable.

Dislikes:

1. Having to do the spear mastery to advance the story was a little annoying.

2. Hearts on second map. First heart is a pain - not enough happening around it quick enough - takes forever to complete. Second heart(South Western one) also has a pacing issue, though you can advance it while waiting for events. Third heart is adequate. 

3. Warclaw dash button change in WvW, plus the lack of jump height - can hardly clear minor obstacles(so much for agile and precise).

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Bladestrom.6425 said:

Do you understand inflation? 7 years is a long time.  to put it another way, if you want the same amount of content as POF do you want to pay 30% more or get 30% less content?

no i clearly don't since every AAA game in last 20 years was selling for 60 euro at release. check steam buddy you will be surprised that prices of AAA games didn't rly changed. There are some companies which trying to push 70 euro or more but those are lunatics, all 2024 AAA games are for 60 euro and im quite sure that Anet is making pennies on actual copies of the game.

gem store and buying gold for gems is where they making money.. as they saying in Blizzard "that horse skin made more money that whole Star craft 2"

I like that part where you blaming "inflation" and you smh forgot about those 7 mounts, elite specs, new weapons, 9 maps , raids etc etc. true strawman.

do you even realize that WHOLE ICEBROOD SAGA WAS FREE?

Edited by daw.4923
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Bladestrom.6425 said:

We are getting significantly less than the 30% less you mentioned.

That said, $25 for what we are getting does not seem unreasonable to me. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

There are still a lot more stuff coming. Like how much have we seen so far? One of four content updates? A new Fractal is on its way, a new raid, the PvP stuff, more open world, more story, more legendaries … SotO started decently as well and went downwards after a while. Let's just wait and witness the outcome when the time is here. There's zero reason to draw signs of the creeping evil on the next wall.

“Our doubts are traitors, And make us lose the good we oft might win, By fearing to attempt.” - William Shakespeare

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

>>>>Long term content drought
>>>>Some new content
>>>>Initial excitement
>>>>Realization that it wasn't really much content, excitement quickly fades  (YOU ARE HERE)
>>>>Wait for new content to release a few months later
>>>>Realize that new content a few months later isn't much either

It was the same cycle last time with SoTo as well.  It is strange when people mention too that "Well you are only paying $25", but GW2 makes money on an agreement between the company and players.  That if we keep buying gems, cosmetics etc., they will keep producing content for us.  And then we will also keep buying their expansions to add on a boost of new content that was meant to be done in between living worlds (which was also content).  Now you have no living world content to hold you over between expansions and the expansions you are getting aren't much either, so whats the point in buying gems and cosmetics? So yeah the $25 isn't much, but what is the point of continually "buying into" the game if its clear the agreement between the company and players isn't being honored?  Why spend time/money investing into the game if the company itself isn't investing into it?

We should get a much clearer picture of the community writ large when the financials release later this year for Q3 and Q4.  I think people are learning from the SoTo experience that ArenaNet's priority isn't with this game.  It is somewhere else.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1