Guild wars 3

42 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I think the quality question has been answered by the SotO update releases. It can only go further downhill from here.

I think we need to be careful at making such sweeping judgement calls just yet. SoTo started well despite the relics disaster and it's only the last two patches that any major concerns have started to arise and whether that's felt universally through the community is unknown. The time for judging is repeating the mistakes next cycle after they've repeatedly said they've learned some some lessons from this attempt. I think there's every chance we could see improvements.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I think we need to be careful at making such sweeping judgement calls just yet. SoTo started well despite the relics disaster and it's only the last two patches that any major concerns have started to arise and whether that's felt universally through the community is unknown. The time for judging is repeating the mistakes next cycle after they've repeatedly said they've learned some some lessons from this attempt. I think there's every chance we could see improvements.

The issue I have with SoTo (and also EoD) is that the replay value for me depends on the legendaries you can get there. I mean, it's the primary goal for the currencies you gain. Now EoD has great-looking legendaries... if you like the dragon theme. I don't care for the dragon theme and therefore NONE of the legendaries appeal to me. Now I also get legendaries for the functionality of it but then there are cheaper ones to get than the gen 3. Gen 1 in particular. And Gen 1 and 2 have a wide variety of legendary skins rather than just having one theme. So that's the weakness of gen 3.

And then there is SoTO. So there are 3 legendary armor sets to get that have the same theme. I have all 3 sets from WvW. Others might have the ones they want from raiding or PvP as well. So for a lot of people who collect legendaries it depends on whether or not they like the skins. I don't like them enough to put in a legendary effort. So that's the replay value borked for me again. I did the story, got the legendary relic, did the masteries and so I'm done there. Sure I might come there sometimes for the dailies, or just cause or an achievement I discovered but that will be rare.

This is what I'm getting at. It's a bit all or nothing nowadays and that started with EoD already. If you care for the aesthetic then you can go all in and if you don't there's no reason to get those currencies (unless you can somehow use them to get gold but that's another topic).

Personally I like the approach of gen 1 and 2 because there was a lot of variety. This is just personal of course and I have no idea how many people are like me in this but that's where it's at...for me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

The issue I have with SoTo (and also EoD) is that the replay value for me depends on the legendaries you can get there. I mean, it's the primary goal for the currencies you gain. Now EoD has great-looking legendaries... if you like the dragon theme. I don't care for the dragon theme and therefore NONE of the legendaries appeal to me. Now I also get legendaries for the functionality of it but then there are cheaper ones to get than the gen 3. Gen 1 in particular. And Gen 1 and 2 have a wide variety of legendary skins rather than just having one theme. So that's the weakness of gen 3.

And then there is SoTO. So there are 3 legendary armor sets to get that have the same theme. I have all 3 sets from WvW. Others might have the ones they want from raiding or PvP as well. So for a lot of people who collect legendaries it depends on whether or not they like the skins. I don't like them enough to put in a legendary effort. So that's the replay value borked for me again. I did the story, got the legendary relic, did the masteries and so I'm done there. Sure I might come there sometimes for the dailies, or just cause or an achievement I discovered but that will be rare.

This is what I'm getting at. It's a bit all or nothing nowadays and that started with EoD already. If you care for the aesthetic then you can go all in and if you don't there's no reason to get those currencies (unless you can somehow use them to get gold but that's another topic).

Personally I like the approach of gen 1 and 2 because there was a lot of variety. This is just personal of course and I have no idea how many people are like me in this but that's where it's at...for me.

I dont disagree with any of this. I do think it's something they will learn from though. There's no rewards beyond legendaries in SoTo and that needs to change going forward

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

It's very simple. If people continue to play the game (gw2) it will continue to evolve. If they don't, it won't. But that means they moved on, possibly to something better for them. Which is not a bad thing. You can't expect other players to stick with a game for your own enjoyment. 

They stopped developing GW to develop GW2 despite the fact that people were still happily playing that game. They will put their development resources where they think it'll be most profitable. I never said I wanted people to stick around for my own enjoyment. That's frankly daft.

As for the rest thanks, Captain Obvious.

Edited by Pifil.5193
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2024 at 8:23 AM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Let's kittening hope gw3 is not happening. 

If we get a official information from Anet that gw3 is in development, i probably stop playing gw2. 

No point. 

Also, I'm not gonna start a new MMO again. 

Seriously. I was looking forward to tonight's raids with my guild. 

But now I don't even feel like login in. 

I think its great news. And i will play it if its an MMORPG . Is there a law that says you can only play one game? I played wow and FF at the same time. A new game based on guild wars means they feel it will be successful enough to take the next leap. Updated engines, new world, new gameplay new zones to discover new story , they do it right and im all in. The only thing i ask is they stay true to the combat, keeping it interactive and fluid. I can play GW2 and GW3 whats not to like.

As for raiding in this game...its dead Jim!

Edited by Artemis.8034
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

19 minutes ago, Artemis.8034 said:

I played wow and FF at the same time. 

I think the point is, would you play WoW and WoW 2 or FF14 and FF14 2 at the same time?   Most people would not.  What is to happen to the GW2 player base if there is a GW3?   Once GW2 players start to migrate to GW3, it is really difficult to imagine GW2 thriving.   Maybe they'll do server merges and one or two servers will have a healthy population.  Only time will tell. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

I could see gw3 working as a mobile game or arpg along the lines of baldurs' gate 3, but as another mmo continuing from gw2- not so much. It would split the playerbase and i don't think gw3 has enough oomph to contest any of the other main titles, meaning it would be dead on arrival ala wildstar.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

i read a lot comments and came to the conclusion that gw3 by abandon gw2 is a really high risk.

many will quit gw entirely, some welcome a total new game.

lets say ppl who full quit are the minority. lets say 30% thats a lot of money and loyal customer forever gone.

than i looked at wow the game has no wow 2 instead it remastered itself many times. why wow did that is bcs loyal customers are the foundation of their game.

gw2 remastered

i think this is what really will happen. the game get transfered to unreal engine.

all progress stays.

it would explain why even they now already work on the new project they gave gw2 new systems like the relics.

and what is probably the most successful part the Vault.

it would be so risky if gw3 fails gw2 is done and gw2 is ncsofts stronges horse.

also asking player to abandon by that time its ready 15 years of game progress. gw1 lifed half the time and i can imagine not everyone from gw1 came over to gw2. 

anet does not need to hurt a part of their player base. all gw2 problems coming down to old graphics and engine limitations.

nobody needs to loose and anet will keep all player plus attract new ones.

tltdr

guildwars 2 get moved to unreal engine 5

Edited by Balsa.3951
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

I mean it'd explain the quality drop but that was a long time coming with the layoffs and failing to retain a huge segment of their endgame community via the various PvP modes, which had stagnated and been on the decline for literal years prior.  And the resources committed to build this game vastly outweighed what ANet currently has.

Realistically, it wouldn't surprise me if this was dropped in response to speculation about long-term plans for dealing with the RIOT MMO.  They can be "working" on such a release with basically nobody on the project to please investors if they really wanted.

From a business and stakeholder POV, NCSoft has a TERRIBLE record in Western markets for their MMOs.  Like, literally none of their first-party releases succeeded and only GW2 did having just bought the company itself while not interfering with the release of the game.  All NC West resources were or are being shuffled under ANet at this point.  GW2 did well because of how different it was compared to everything else, and it won a ton of appeal at launch for it.

RIOT on the other hand has become the most successful online game company in the world born from western demand in the release of a game in a genre mostly popular in Korea, has lore built with literal Emmy/Annie awards, multiple other wildly successful games, and just announced they're scrapping all of their current MMO work just to start over because they want to make something that unabashedly upends the entire industry and destroys pretty much all competitors in the Western market.

Don't think about this as answering passionate players and game makers.  Think about this as answering people looking to make money by investing in NC/Anet's future.

GW2 has been the X-factor in the Western MMO genre for a while.  But let's face the fact it's a 12-year-old game built with dated graphics and an outdated engine even for its release and no console support, while sporting falling ratings and a hug playere churn problem with down-trending financials over the past ten or so years with declining PC games sales.

These stakeholders are going to want answers as to whether or not they should believe their money is secure in NCSoft's Western investments.  The statement of a GW3 greenlighting--even if no work is to be performed yet--would be something that wildly improves the five-ten year outlook for NC/ANet and their competitiveness when dealing with the slow emergence of what may yet be the "next big deal" in multiplayer games.

While I do ultimately suspect a third installment is being worked in some capacity, I think the people dooming over GW2's future due to this announcement are either overreacting because the game still has several years of similar trajectory still in it, or simply have willfully ignored the massive failures of ANet working on the game in the past 10 years that have caused huge community losses and profit decline.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

39 minutes ago, Balsa.3951 said:

i read a lot comments and came to the conclusion that gw3 by abandon gw2 is a really high risk.

many will quit gw entirely some welcome a total new game.

lets say ppl who full quit are the minority. lets say 30% thats a lot of money and loyal customer forever gone.

than i looked at wow the game has no wow 2 instead it remastered itself many times. why wow did that is bcs loyal customers are the foundation of their game.

gw2 remastered

i think this is what really will happen. the game get transfered to unreal engine.

all progress stays.

it would explain why even they now already work on the new project they gave gw2 new systems like the relics.

and what is probably the most successful part the Vault.

it would be so risky if gw3 fails gw2 is done and gw2 is ncsofts stronges horse.

also asking player to abandon by that time its ready 15 years of game progress. gw1 lifed half the time and i can imagine not everyone from gw1 came over to gw2. 

anet does not need to hurt a part of their player base. all gw2 problems coming down to old graphics and engine limitations.

nobody needs to loose and anet will keep all player plus attract new ones.

tltdr

guildwars 2 get moved to unreal engine 5

That's what I'm thinking and hoping. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Artemis.8034 said:

I think its great news. And i will play it if its an MMORPG . Is there a law that says you can only play one game? I played wow and FF at the same time. A new game based on guild wars means they feel it will be successful enough to take the next leap. Updated engines, new world, new gameplay new zones to discover new story , they do it right and im all in. The only thing i ask is they stay true to the combat, keeping it interactive and fluid. I can play GW2 and GW3 whats not to like.

As for raiding in this game...its dead Jim!

Unlike Gw1, gw2 can't be played solo. 

Making gw3 is killing off Gw2. In resources and playerbase. 

An MMO without a playerbase doesn't function. 

By the time GW3 is realistic to release, I will hit 40. I'm already slowly moving away from games. I can't imagine myself starting an MMO from scratch again. 

And playing is "casually" is half assing it. No point. 

All this news does is knowing that Anet is potentially abandoning Gw2 for a new game. Which makes me less willing to support the current product.

Better jump of the ship before it hits the iceberg I guess. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 3/30/2024 at 8:51 PM, Zera.9435 said:

Jesus kittening christ this is awful. A little speculation from a response provided under duress turned into a wildfire with you people.

I have a real and honest question for you all: Why are so many of you jumping to the conclusion that GW2 is going to get shut down real soon? Or better yet, why are some of you hoping for a shut down?

Way too many of you are spouting nonsense like "GW2 had a good run, but it's over now". You are full of kitten. GW2 is alive and well despite its issues.

If you don't like GW2 then that's fine, but don't go doomsaying needlessly. People are fickle, easily manipulated, and even more easily misinformed. Your calls for an end to GW2 will cause concern for some players who are actually still enjoying the game. With this kitten rhetoric you guys keep spewing out, some people might not be interested in continuing to play because you kitteners have put it in their heads that the game is shutting down. Regardless of the fact that THERE IS ANOTHER CONFIRMED EXPANSION FOR GW2 ALREADY ON THE WAY, they might not be as willing to buy the next expansion now purely because you kitteners got them thinking that there is no point in buying it.

Do you know one of the main reasons why Ancient Rome fell? Too many people bought into the idea that the world was ending soon, so they stopped caring about their society, their community, their infrastructure, their hygiene, and they lost the realization of being part of a good thing.

Now, kindly step the kitten back and wait for an official announcement from ArenaNet. Oh wait, you already got one:

"As an active game studio we are always doing internal exploratory work for possible future titles we’d want to create, however we have nothing to confirm right now. The team’s focus is on Guild Wars 2 development, including the game’s next expansion, which we’re excited to talk about soon."

What I'm seeing in some of it is a mixture of reactions to a possible GW3 combined with already existing feelings of dissatisfaction with the game's current direction. There's doomsaying and then there's being reasonably concerned that resources diverted to a whole other game could correlate to perceived drop in quality. There's doomsaying and there's feeling like it's not worth sinking months or years into long-term rewards if those rewards might not actually be all that useful in the long-term; something people already can contend with in MMOs, no matter whether an MMO's future is bright or not because even if it is sustainable, that doesn't mean you'll maintain interest. But with your own interest, that's something you have some amount of control over. You don't have control over whether the company keeps putting resources into it.

I would say it's pretty normal and well-adjusted for people to have concerns about these things. If we were having this conversation in a reality where the 2019 layoffs had never happened, maybe this would be a different story, but even then, I'd still say it's reasonable for people to be concerned. They'd just maybe have less to point at of signs to be worried.

MMOs are kinda weird. There's more than one I've put enormous amount of time in, only to quit abruptly and wonder after what the point was of chasing rewards I could enjoy years into the future, when I didn't end up sticking around long enough to actually enjoy them years into the future. But like I say, that's on the player end. I have some measure of control over that. It's a different kind of vulnerability when you aren't feeling confident about the other end of the deal. Either way though, it's an emotional component of engaging with MMOs that I think is easy to pass over while you're wrapped up in goal chasing and while you're confident in the product's future. But when it hits you, it can feel a bit disorienting to think about how you're spending your time. Some people are into fleeting thrill experiences, but others? Gosh darnit, these little virtual places can be like homes for people - a lot more permanent of a feel. It can be a lot more precious, cherished, and fragile in the feels department than the "next" nature of live service suggests.

So, what you call "stopping caring", is most likely people who care a lot. Otherwise they would not be moved by such information.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

Hate to say it, but I already moved on to FFXIV yesterday.

I won't uninstall GW2, but I stopped spending money on it. I was already dissatisfied with the state of the game since a while, but I usually found something to do. I was doing more EoD leggies when the leak news hit. Now I regret buying gold from the shop, but it is what it is.

I can always login to GW2 again, but I no longer set future goals in it, unless Anet comes out of hiding and become transparent.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

On 3/30/2024 at 2:16 AM, AliamRationem.5172 said:

It's years out if it happens at all.  Are you really suggesting that a significant portion of players are maladaptive enough that they would only purchase items to enjoy if they were able to fool themselves into believing that those items will last forever?  Like really?

Have you seen what happened to GW1 after GW2 was announced? it emptied out long before GW2 launch. Why do you think this time it's somehow going to be different?

Hint: people do not play MMORPGs for logical reasons, but for emotional ones. Thinking they'll suddenly apply logical thinking that will overrule their emotional response to GW3 mention is naive at best. And is not supported by reality.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Perhaps the studio isn't generating enough revenue for their investors with the current GW2 model?  Would a GW3 be a subscription-based game I wonder?

That would be committing Sudoku. 

People play gw2 BECAUSE it doesn't have a sub. 

I would assume that there are still enough parents out there who would never pay a sub for a video-game. 

Mine did laugh at the idea, that's why I started Gw1 instead of WoW. 

And for adults, 15 bucks a month can totally be alot of money in these kitten times. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

33 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Perhaps the studio isn't generating enough revenue for their investors with the current GW2 model?  Would a GW3 be a subscription-based game I wonder?

I'm pretty sure that a new game would be substantially more expensive, else what's the point. Selling a few million copies at launch is nothing on the long run.
By keeping the current financial model, they would be in the same situation where they are today. Whether it is monthly sub, more microtransactions, or both, we will see.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Have you seen what happened to GW1 after GW2 was announced? it emptied out long before GW2 launch. Why do you think this time it's somehow going to be different?

Hint: people do not play MMORPGs for logical reasons, but for emotional ones. Thinking they'll suddenly apply logical thinking that will overrule their emotional response to GW3 mention is naive at best. And is not supported by reality.

Really?  So they announced they were planning to start developing GW2 for release years later and everyone stopped playing GW1 even while they were still developing and releasing content and expansions for it?  I find that difficult to believe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

That would be committing Sudoku. 

People play gw2 BECAUSE it doesn't have a sub. 

I would assume that there are still enough parents out there who would never pay a sub for a video-game. 

Mine did laugh at the idea, that's why I started Gw1 instead of WoW. 

And for adults, 15 bucks a month can totally be alot of money in these kitten times. 

"Sudoku" is a numerical puzzle game.  You probably meant Seppuku, a form of ritual suicide.  But I think sudoku sounds funnier, so let's go with that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

"Sudoku" is a numerical puzzle game.  You probably meant Seppuku, a form of ritual suicide.  But I think sudoku sounds funnier, so let's go with that!

The entire joke is that quite a lot of people cannot remember Seppuku as a term, but Sudoku as a term is widespread. So people just use Sudoku instead.

Though Elden Ring may have helped spread the term Seppuku a bit more.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Really?  So they announced they were planning to start developing GW2 for release years later and everyone stopped playing GW1 even while they were still developing and releasing content and expansions for it?  I find that difficult to believe.

Thr announcement of GW2 included the announcement of the last expansion for GW1. Years later they started Guild Wars beyond, a series of free updates that wrapped up plotlines and somewhat led into GW2.

It's pretty silly to say GW1 died during the time between EotN and GW2. The biggest change was heroes (started in Nightfall but EotN added quite a few more), which meant pugs were far less common. It was never difficult to find people in main hub towns or finding an active guild before gw2's release.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Allowing people to keep their legendary armor in a sequel would be self-defeating. MMOs require carrots to chase.

That is true, but who is going to chase those carrots?

Majority of the people I see who are commenting about GW3 have a negative feeling and reaction about it and most are saying they would quit Guild Wars enitrely.

Maybe new players will chase the carrots?

But be honest, if you are a new player hearing about a new MMO which its announcement alone made thousands of previous players quit the franchise entirely, would you be willing to spend your money buying that new MMO?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I don't know how many more embarrassing content drops we need to finally face the fact that the chances are only 50/50 these days for any remotely "good" content to drop.

Champions (especially Dragonstorm), the design flaws in EoD, Gyala Delve, SotO Update 1+2. I can't take anymore. I am seriously doubting whether I have it in me to pay up for the next "mini-expansion".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Not quite, but close enough. They announced they were planning to start developing GW2 for release years later, and that they will release one more expansion, which will be followed by "bridging" content patches. They released the expansion, started doing the GW Beyond, and stopped doing it before they released all that was planned (After Winds of Change there was supposed to be at least one more chapter, tied to events in Elona, but we never saw it). The cancellation of said content was not only because they kept diverting more and more resources to their GW2 team, but also because by the time War in Kryta ended GW1 population already plummeted down significantly, and when Winds of Change came around, the game was only a shadow of its former self.

So, while you might find it difficult to believe, your disbelief does not change the facts.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3