Can you make a Boss AI algorithm to AoE attack stackers

I think this could be a great addition to the game to make players do new tactics for boss fights other than just stacking in one place during certain phases of boss fights.

What if the game added an algorithm that identify if 8 or more people are standing aggro in a nearby area during a boss fight, and have the boss send a massive AoE attack to that identified location. This could punish that behavior and make people play the boss fights in a more challenging fun way that was originally intended.

@"Knighthonor.4061" said:I think this could be a great addition to the game to make players do new tactics for boss fights other than just stacking in one place during certain phases of boss fights.

What if the game added an algorithm that identify if 8 or more people are standing aggro in a nearby area during a boss fight, and have the boss send a massive AoE attack to that identified location. This could punish that behavior and make people play the boss fights in a more challenging fun way that was originally intended.

Essentially, "social awkwardness" for world bosses?

@derd.6413 said:i think you highly underestimate the difficulties of programming ai. also how do you prevent the boss from just becoming anti-melee.

Well because Melee attacks has a minimum range already. So anything outside of that isn't melee. That's not a difficult check point because I believe they already have similar check points in the game currently.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:I think this could be a great addition to the game to make players do new tactics for boss fights other than just stacking in one place during certain phases of boss fights.

It's easy to do technically, but it wouldn't make fights more fun. To the contrary, it will make them more annoying. So we won't be seeing it. We may see it as a particular behavior on a particular boss. But general mechanic throughout the whole game? Not a chance.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:I think this could be a great addition to the game to make players do new tactics for boss fights other than just stacking in one place during certain phases of boss fights.

Intended? The short range application of boons which produce such large force multipliers suggests that players being in close proximity in burn phases is the intended behavior.

@Scud.5067 said:Party wide debuff. Does periodic damage to each party member. Damage per tick increases significantly when near another party member. Cumulative effect.

well there are bounty bosses who have this ability and it su... because most players just running around and add the debuff to everybody else.

some eventbosses get zerged by 40 or more players. and you want to add such an abilty?

@Stalkingwolf.6035 said:

@"Scud.5067" said:Party wide debuff. Does periodic damage to each party member. Damage per tick increases significantly when near another party member. Cumulative effect.

well there are bounty bosses who have this ability and it su... because most players just running around and add the debuff to everybody else.

some eventbosses get zerged by 40 or more players. and you want to add such an abilty?

Bounty bosses random "features" is the reason why I stopped doing them at all. Why would I play something that intentionally annoys me?

@Ayrilana.1396 said:One possible consequence of this is that players will just range attack the boss from a distance. Just look at what happened with the Golem world boss. I hardly consider that engaging or challenging.

If ArenaNet cared to fix it, that wouldn't be possible. It's ultimately pointless however as long as it's possible to earn the same rewards as everyone else simply for tagging the boss. Unfortunately, they'll never fix that. I'm surprised more people don't abuse it, since you can easily double your rewards at world bosses, plus if all the low DPSers left, it'd be so much faster.

Archived