Suggestion: Auto harvest feature

What I mean by this is when you run up to a plant or tree or node it just auto harvests intead of having to press F.

Some people might think this is silly, but for people like me, I have tendonitus in both arms and have to use arm bands just to play the game and other people with carpel tunnel or other disabilities it would be a great quality of life feature to save on pain :)

Thoughts/Suggestions?

A buddy of mine uses game driving pedals for 'clicking'. Easy to setup.

With regards to your suggestion - how would it work? Nodes are channeled, forcing you to stop moving. Would the bar pop up automatically, rooting you as you approached? Else... you'd need to press a key to cancel or confirm - which solves nothing.

@Scud.5067 said:A buddy of mine uses game driving pedals for 'clicking'. Easy to setup.

With regards to your suggestion - how would it work? Nodes are channeled, forcing you to stop moving. Would the bar pop up automatically, rooting you as you approached? Else... you'd need to press a key to cancel or confirm - which solves nothing.

I would imagine the harvest with F button would come up and then it would just auto harvest it. It would not trigger on anything else but nodes ideally and not bug out the game and make it easy to program/implement.

@wrathmagik.3518 said:

@Scud.5067 said:A buddy of mine uses game driving pedals for 'clicking'. Easy to setup.

I would imagine the harvest with F button would come up and then it would just auto harvest it. It would not trigger on anything else but nodes ideally and not bug out the game and make it easy to program/implement.

But then it would root you to harvest every time you get within range of a node, whether you want to harvest ot not. That would be annoying at best and a problem in fights.

If they were going to do something like this, it'd probably be as a specialty tool that would automatically gather nearby nodes independently, as if it were a pet. They could do set of gyro bot gathering tools for example that would automatically activate and fly off to nearby nodes. It would however be a lot slower compared to gathering normally.

If it were implemented as an option, it'd probably require you to stand idle next to a node for a 1-3 seconds, then it'd basically press F for you.

Or something you could purchase like the black lion gathering contract board, it would send a golem out in the map you are in and harvest mats for you only while in the map. Rate would have to be slower than doing it yourself and you get a happy mail with said mats at the end. Nothing super OP, just a helping hand. Or a help o tron.

Farm gold. Put in TP buy orders for the mats you want. No need to harvest.

The OP perhaps doesn't realize that there are various reasons for requiring harvest to require some amount of interaction/effort:

• If loot collection is too automated, we don't value what we get. Case in point: L80 toons get a decent amount of spirit shards from a variety of courses. But because they go directly to inventory, people don't realize it (and aren't able to distinguish it from shard obtained via post-80 leveling).
  • If loot collection is too easy, it drives down market values. Every erg of additional effort increases the price (e.g. in a stable market, ingots cost more than their constituent ore: someone took an extra moment to refine them).

Of course the system isn't perfect and there are plenty of things we'd like to change about some aspects of crafting, gathering, or otherwise dealing with inventory. It's just that easier for us isn't necessarily better for the game overall. (And this doesn't even consider the effort to conceptualize, design, test, implement, & maintain a new mechanic.)

While I understand the problem of OP (sorry to hear about), I would really not like this automatic feature, because it would mean to be suddenly stopped in what we are doing just because we find ourselves near a node. That could be a killer depending on the situation.At the top of it, personally, there are several nodes I don't farm even if they are on my way (for example, silver) and that would really be a big bother to me if the simple fact that I run near one stops me automatically to gather it, although I don't want it.

The other way it could work is if the feature was like a "loot pet" in the style of Allods Online and some other games, a feature you add to your character and then, as in Allods, you can train the pet to gather resources. The pet goes off and gathers, and of course it channels, while you can continue on your way. It's probably good to add it as an extra tier on the Pact Commander mastery to keep it out of the hands of most of the gatherbots.

Archived