For the love of the gods, can we PLEASE have an option to turn off our character's voice without...

...muting the entire game?I have very few complaints about this great game, but wow, the voice acting for the human male is so cringey and fits very few characters in my opinion. Im not asking for more voice actors, just the ability to mute his cringey voice.Come on. Please?

I like my male human's voice. Although I've always wondered if they (any voice acted game really) could effectively add voice modulation filters to the base voice actor so you could tune your character's voice in the creation screen. But it might just result in an artificial sounding voice, or completely degrade dialog altogether.

@JDub.1530 said:I like my male human's voice. Although I've always wondered if they (any voice acted game really) could effectively add voice modulation filters to the base voice actor so you could tune your character's voice in the creation screen. But it might just result in an artificial sounding voice, or completely degrade dialog altogether.

Worth a try I think. I will admit some of the voice-overs do get a little tiresome after awhile (nevermind what they actually say during combat). I think I got spoiled in older game titles where you could make/replace voice-overs with your own custom ones or at least choose other 1's available in the game at character creation =)

I do agree with the original poster though, give us (at the very least) a mute option for the voice-over of the character we are playing

@Batel.9206 said:Isn't there an option to mute player chatter? Or does that only apply to other players and not your own character?EDIT: Apparently, it's only for other players... Well then. I definitely support the option to mute our own character.

It is not only other players. Easiest way to test is with shouts. Other stuff is a bit more annoying since you have to do it multiple times.

Not going to happen, when you have top notch voice actors doing the character it wouldn't be in the studio's best interest to give players the option to mute. Besides, there are far more people that would call you nuts for not liking the voice acting of Nolan North(who also voiced Palawa Joko and Mordremoth, besides a couple of others).

P.S. Jennifer Hale did the voice of the Sylvari female player character and Queen Jennah, NOT the Krait Witch.

For a list(may not be complete): https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Voice_actor

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@jezebel.7054 said:I didn't like the constant, repeated, phrases either. The option to turn it off worked for me though. The only time I hear my character is when it screams in lava lounge.

As opposed to status icons popping up left and right to let you know your character has stuff happening to it?

Do you mean above the skill bar or during combat?

I don't notice above the skill bar unless I'm looking right at it. During combat, I kind of need it. :o

There is an option to turn down dialog volume, but I don't know what that does to dialog during story missions. If you just want to stop hearing the different catchphrases like "I can outrun a centaur" or "I'm an achiever, I achieve things", just turn down player chatter.

I do wish GW2 had the option to alter PC voices like other MMO's have. Last year I created a new Human male character (I already have 2 of those). I had the concept of a desert hermit in mind and am quite pleased with how the character turned out. But it sounds exactly like my noble looking Guardian and Elementalist, which goes completely against the concept I had in mind. Still, it can't be helped. I just don't do story stuff with that character, just to prevent myself from having to listen to that voice he shouldn't have.

@TheNecrosanct.4028 said:I do wish GW2 had the option to alter PC voices like other MMO's have. Last year I created a new Human male character (I already have 2 of those). I had the concept of a desert hermit in mind and am quite pleased with how the character turned out. But it sounds exactly like my noble looking Guardian and Elementalist, which goes completely against the concept I had in mind. Still, it can't be helped. I just don't do story stuff with that character, just to prevent myself from having to listen to that voice he shouldn't have.

You've probably brought forward the most valid reason/point I've seen so far. Essentially because of the lack of choice of voice-overs (or at least the ability to alter the existing voice-over), it in turn ruins the immersion of the main storyline of the character your playing in the game. Its essentially role-playing a character you've created with your own imagination, only to have it sound exactly the same as another one, regardless of its age/background/concept. To me part of immersion is all about looks (age of character), sounds (voice-over) & overall concept (what kind of character you want to role-play). Without all of those thrown into the mix things start to feel very generic.

@"JDub.1530" said:I like my male human's voice. Although I've always wondered if they (any voice acted game really) could effectively add voice modulation filters to the base voice actor so you could tune your character's voice in the creation screen. But it might just result in an artificial sounding voice, or completely degrade dialog altogether.

Bless (hehe!) has that. It sounds okay, but once you know the "default" / C tone in music, you can hear that it's pitched. It's just a mind game though, but it irks me.For example, my Mascus both have a slightly higher pitch because of..being small, but you still know that it's a bit artificial.

@"GDchiaScrub.3241" said:German might be more up your alley!The German Asura is Sean Austin's dubbing voice (Patrick Bach). A bit Lord of the Rings vibe for my Asura is pretty neat (Patrick Bach dubs Sean Austin's character, Samwise Gamgee). He has a very high range (apart from that he also voices for CRASH CANYON or PAW PATROL's character "Chase") but when he's reading eBooks, he puts in the deep, mean, slow voice that makes me smile - his Deadeye lines are beautifully executed (no pun intended).

The French one seems to hastily and out of breath, but each to their own.

Excelsior.

@"imjake.7539" said:I have very few complaints about this great game, but wow, the voice acting for the human male is so cringey and fits very few characters in my opinion.

While the latter is true (for other voices as well, though, but yeah, this one in particular), I wouldn't call it "cringey". The only two complaints I have are (a) that, since HoT, the voice director keeps telling the actors to talk extremely slow, which is cringeworthy, because they sound mentally challenged, and (b) that the speech has become "2018 Earth teeny colloquial" so that I can't take my characters seriously anymore (this, however, has become a little better lately with LWS4).

@Batel.9206 said:Isn't there an option to mute player chatter? Or does that only apply to other players and not your own character?EDIT: Apparently, it's only for other players... Well then. I definitely support the option to mute our own character.

I tried the setting when it first came out and it muted my character too, including my own shout skills so I never used it. I guess that setting has been changed since.

(Would like to activate it again now that mirage exists. Those voice lines make me cringe.)