Horse Mounts Discussion!

Aediph.2873

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:we have a Raptor. what do i want with a boring horse?

In past threads on this topic, it is usually because people want a "free" mount where they don't have to spend the money to buy the expansions to get one and/or take the time and effort to obtain what currently exists in the game.

I would be fine with anything regarding horses in GW2 but think if they were added that skins for the Raptor would make the most sense. It already has a "clip clop" sound when moving. ANet could probably make a lot of money on a horses skin pack. Alternately, if they're never added that's OK too -- I just bought ESO and there are lots of horses there.

@Edge.8724 said:How about a horse skin for the Raptor mount?

@"Witch of Doom.5739" said:I would be fine with anything regarding horses in GW2 but think if they were added that skins for the Raptor would make the most sense. It already has a "clip clop" sound when moving. ANet could probably make a lot of money on a horses skin pack. Alternately, if they're never added that's OK too -- I just bought ESO and there are lots of horses there.

You know what I would say sure sounds fine, except that I don't think anyone would accept that a pony just jumped about 30 meters over a canyon unless the skin was Spirit Stallion of the Cimarron, but that poses it's own copyright/trademark issues.Honestly I think we have a better chance of getting a pegasus skin for the griffin as they're both ancient mythological creatures nobody can claim ownership over.

Horse as a new mount? Nah.A new mount with a horse skin? Yes.

What is the new mount suppose to be? Lets call this an "Asura Holo-mount" This mount would be made with as little animation required while maximizing as much potential skins as possible. It would have superspeed as a mount movement skill and just explodes when using the engage skill. It can be a horse, a Charr slave, a car, Tank, spider, a hovering warhammer, the possibility is endless.

@"Edge.8724" said:How about a horse skin for the Raptor mount?

Raptor is a 2 legged mount, a horse is 4. Think of it as a wire frame made like a stick man. The basic frame, head, body 2/4 legs, wings, whatever needs to be compatible. If you look at all other mounts the basic shape remains the same from skin to skin. Even the humming bird and skimmer are still basically the same shape. To add a true horse shape, they would most likely have to start from scratch with a completely new mount as trying to make a skin for any of the existing ones (actually only the jackal would "fit") would be more work then starting from scratch. Then you would have to decide, what it's gimmick? We have a flyer, climber, vertical leaper, horizontal leaper, floater, teleporter and racer/battering ram. Since horses are a real animal with no special abilities would you add a special ability and make it in to something else? Would a winged horse that could fly still be a horse? Would a horse that could walk up walls or swim under water still be a horse? A horse mount would be great, but they really do not fit in to the current GW2 world and/or mount system.

@Lady Celtaine.3760 said:

@"Witch of Doom.5739" said:I would be fine with anything regarding horses in GW2 but think if they were added that skins for the Raptor would make the most sense. It already has a "clip clop" sound when moving. ANet could probably make a lot of money on a horses skin pack. Alternately, if they're never added that's OK too -- I just bought ESO and there are lots of horses there.

You know what I would say sure sounds fine, except that I don't think anyone would accept that a pony just jumped about 30 meters over a canyon unless the skin was Spirit Stallion of the Cimarron, but that poses it's own copyright/trademark issues.Honestly I think we have a better chance of getting a pegasus skin for the griffin as they're both ancient mythological creatures nobody can claim ownership over.

That's why I suggested a horse skin for the warclaw earlier in this topic. They're roughly the same shape and don't have any weird abilities which would seem out of place for a horse, even the gate pull is the player throwing a grappling hook.

@Danikat.8537 said:

That's why I suggested a horse skin for the warclaw earlier in this topic. They're roughly the same shape and don't have any weird abilities which would seem out of place for a horse, even the gate pull is the player throwing a grappling hook.

Yeah I could go along with that. Tbh I'm surprised some people aren't taking into account the work the animators would have to do with new skins to fit existing base models, I'm not %100 on the animation jargon but I know it's easier to pull around the mesh frame than edit the skeleton inside it, another problem with putting a horse skin on a raptor frame is that the raptor has 2 arms and 2 legs, not 4 legs. Which is why pegasus skin for griffin would work.

@Blur.3465 said:

@Blur.3465 said:I'd love a horse mount. I'd love it so much.Arguments saying "Horses don't exist in Tyria" etc, make no sense at all.Did we know about the Sand Jackals? Did we know about gigantic Raptors? Did we know about Skimmers? Springers? Come on... :DIt would be possible to add a horse mount as part of a new map or something, nothing that can't get a decent background story.

With the current implementation of mounts, why would adding a horse mount be necessary?

A horse could get a speed buff, fast speed and better control than the beetle mount. It would be a mix of beetle and raptor.And also, why not? Some of us like to feel like proper warriors riding horses.

Horses are bound to happen, and this is exactly the role they will fill. They're probably going to be the core mount of the next expansion too. In fact, here are some ideas:

• Stallion: Core mount for the 3rd expansion, much like the raptor in PoF. Can gallop to run faster, but not as fast as the roller beetle. Jumps higher than the raptor, but shorter distances, and only while galloping. Useful for steeplechases where the other mounts cannot compete.
  • Dolyak: Two-passenger mount, allows you to carry a friend around. Can cross muddy terrain (including quicksand) at a slower pace than normal without getting dismounted.
  • Drake: Amphibian mount, slow at land, and slower than the skimmer on water. Great for underwater movement.
  • Serpent: Amphibian flying mount, can eject towards the sky (higher than a springer) and then slowly glide down in circles. Slower than the griffon and the skyscale. Slower than the drake underwater.
  • Moa: Can sprint, faster than the stallion, but not as fast as the roller beetle. Can jump high, but not as high as the springer. Jumping in the middle of a sprint keeps the momentum going on.

They can add them as mount for the next expansion that works like one of the current ones but with new skeleton for new skins since they have to let use mounts but not having the previous expansion creates a mess with the design of the zones. So i think there would be new mount skeletons for the same mount abilities, this also helps them with the mount skin sales.

@"Edge.8724" said:Anyway, as stated in the wiki, horses did exist in the past and were well used by the krytan.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Horse

Horses can be a possibility.

Granted, but GW2 is a 250 year jump from GW1. Maybe they've gone instinct (or were eaten by Charr as has already been posited). Regardless, my vote is not to have horses because they wouldn't add anything to the game that the current iteration of mounts don't already cover.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"Edge.8724" said:Anyway, as stated in the wiki, horses did exist in the past and were well used by the krytan.

Horses can be a possibility.

Granted, but GW2 is a 250 year jump from GW1. Maybe they've gone instinct (or were eaten by Charr as has already been posited). Regardless, my vote is not to have horses because they wouldn't add anything to the game that the current iteration of mounts don't already cover.

Fair point.

• 1 year later...

" Personally, I don't see how a horse mount fits into the game at all given the distinct lack of horses in Tyria."--- So we have humming bird mounts, smiling armadillo mounts, gecko lizards, a griffon with a horse head, a fox with multiple tails, a shimmering reindeer & a slew of other unclassifiable things but an ACTUAL horse mount that happens to be in demand somehow doesn't fit? I mean just give folks horses, make em look nice and stop overthinking it It's all ACTUALY imaginary here :P Guess what, YOU CAN DO WHAT YOU WANT in an imaginary world... Size them to suit Norns and Asuran like every other mount, or give em Clydesdales and mini ponies, lol

Jeez how long do we need to wait!?